Puzzle cache with false coordinates a long way off

Dgwphotos

I have been working on a cache listing in a nearby park. There were two caches in the park that I knew about, one which is a puzzle and the other is a traditional cache, plus the false coordinates for a puzzle cache that is hidden elsewhere. I found the two caches in the park recently, and made sure my new cache listing was clear of both of them. When I found a location I liked and had posted the cache for review, the reviewer disabled the cache, because there was another puzzle/multi cache with false coordinates 30 miles away that I didn't realize was there because of where the false coordinates were posted. Had I known that, I would have solved it and went to find it to make sure that I chose a spot clear of all other caches. Unfortunately, the cache I am working is a history cache focused on the history of the specific park, and I suspect that I may have to abandon the idea. I think there should be a distance limit for false coordinates from the actual coordinates that is within reason, to reduce conflicts with new caches.

Actually, the guidelines do address that issue. Under "Puzzle/Mystery Caches" it says: "Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location."

However, the cache in question may have been placed before those guidelines were in effect.

Actually, the guidelines do address that issue. Under "Puzzle/Mystery Caches" it says: "Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location."

However, the cache in question may have been placed before those guidelines were in effect.

Ah. That may be true, then. The cache in question dates to 2004.

I solved a puzzle that I have yet to go after because the posted coordinates are almost 50 miles from the actual coordinates. That one was from 2004 also so maybe it is the case.

I've solved puzzles where there was a good reason for the posted coordinates to be more than 2 miles from the cache. I've also solved older puzzles that were published before the guidelines said anything about the posted coordinates for puzzle caches being within 2 miles of the cache.

And of course, there is no such limit on multi-caches. I've found multi-caches where the final location was miles from the posted coordinates, and I've heard of some that are hundreds of miles from the posted coordinates.

Before you invest a lot of time/money in a location-specific cache, it's probably a good idea to check with your local reviewer to verify that the location is available.

I discovered by accident that the reviewers have access to all caches, even unpublished ones. Now I use that ability of my very nice and friendly local reviewer to check my proposed final location before I even bother constructing a puzzle for it.

Just create your cache page, set your posted coordinates to about where you want them to be, add your final location and any intermediate stages as waypoints, and send a note to your reviewer with your GC number asking for a proximity check.

Case closed. :ph34r: