Moving from caching on phone to Garmin?

Sadgit1971

I have a HTC TYTN II using a BT Holux 1000 and have been caching for a year this way, but have had signal problems which means DNFs.

Would I see any benefit is I decided to bite the bullet and buy say a Gamin Oregon 300? Would I get a better accuracy? or would I be better off going for a Garmin 550? or would the 300 do? or should I just stick to the HTC/Holux combo?

Cheers

Mark

I have a HTC TYTN II using a BT Holux 1000 and have been caching for a year this way, but have had signal problems which means DNFs.

Would I see any benefit is I decided to bite the bullet and buy say a Gamin Oregon 300? Would I get a better accuracy? or would I be better off going for a Garmin 550? or would the 300 do? or should I just stick to the HTC/Holux combo?

Cheers

Mark

Check reviews before you decide to buy any GPS. It's been a long time since I checked any reviews about the models you've mentioned, but when I did they were getting terrible reviews. I decided to buy a Garmin GPS map 60Csx. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that that the 300 or 550 does for geocaching, but at the time it was a better GPS. I also geocache with an app from my Palm Pre, I sometimes don't have my GPS on me, also sometimes I cache with more than one person, so somebody uses my GPS and I use my phone. I can search from my phone for a cache, and info about the cache if I'm not caching in my home area. You might want to keep your phone software if you can for a back up.

You should get far better reception with hand held GPS. The people I know who have the Oregon love it.

There are several Garmin 550's, the Nuvi 550, the Zumo 550 and Oregon 550. The Nuvi 550 is more of an automotive unit but is one of the few that is suitable for geocaching. The Zumo 550 is designed for motorcycle use and the Oregon 550 is a fine hand held unit for geocaching.

Almost all of my 880 finds have been made with my BlackBerry. It serves me will for seeking caches, but I have difficulty getting consistent coords when I place caches. A friend of mine offered to sell me his old Garmin GPS 60. It is a very useful addition to my geobag. I will still seek most caches with my phone, but the Garmin will come in handy when I lose phone signal or when I am hiding caches.

Check around for used GPS's There are some good bargains out there.

Cheers

Mark

I started caching with an iPhone, after about 100 finds I got a a Garmin Dakota 20. The only reason that I got one was because the iPhone was my wife's and she didn't want to share. My buddy got an Oregon 200 and he is in love with it, the only thing he would add is the internal compass that comes with the Oregon 300. It has awesome paperless ability and it has the same high sensitivity receiver as the Garmin gps60. So does the dakota 20!

...it has awesome paperless ability and it has the same high sensitivity receiver as the Garmin gps60.

One correction, the Garmin GPS 60 does not have a high sensitivity receiver (nor does the Map 60). These are low end units that are not to be confused with the Map 60CSX and Map 60CX which do have high sensitivity receivers. Although they look very similar, the difference between a GPS 60 and a Map 60CSX is like night and day.

Edited by briansnat

I noticed that after the latest site update there is a "GPS Reviews" link on the left side of the page. I just checked it out and there appears to be a ton of reviews for every GPS devices one might consider. For all the complaints about the new layout of the site this is a nice feature. The GPS and Technology forum is also a good resource for finding out more information on specific GPS devices.

I recommend a Delorme PN-30 or PN-40 (only difference is the -40 has an internal compass and barometer). Much cheaper than the Garmins, and they come with much better maps. And they can do full info paperless caching.

I agree. We are new owners of a PN-40 and it locks up 9 satellites in our basement in just a minute or so! Outdoors it's good, too. :) It comes with maps and is fully paperless.

Either of your Garmin choices are good, too. Dakota 20 is gets high reviews. Do not go with the GPS60 (no suffix).

...it has awesome paperless ability and it has the same high sensitivity receiver as the Garmin gps60.

One correction, the Garmin GPS 60 does not have a high sensitivity receiver (nor does the Map 60). These are low end units that are not to be confused with the Map 60CSX and Map 60CX which do have high sensitivity receivers. Although they look very similar, the difference between a GPS 60 and a Map 60CSX is like night and day.

Sorry, i forgot that this is a forum and everybody is an expert. I was refering to the GPSMap 60csx since I don't think that anybody is talking about out of date equipment. Thanks for the correction! :ph34r:

Check reviews before you decide to buy any GPS. It's been a long time since I checked any reviews about the models you've mentioned, but when I did they were getting terrible reviews. I decided to buy a Garmin GPS map 60Csx. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that that the 300 or 550 does for geocaching, but at the time it was a better GPS.
Garmin has been continuously improving the Oregon's accuracy through updates, downloadable from Garmin's website, so the accuracy issue has been improved. In some cases, the 60CSX is still more accurate, but the gap is closing from my observations caching with both units.
Sorry, i forgot that this is a forum and everybody is an expert. I was refering to the GPSMap 60csx since I don't think that anybody is talking about out of date equipment. Thanks for the correction! :ph34r:
Best to be sure, though. Your moniker and avatar do seem to imply you're from the stone age. They had the GPS 60 back then, right? :ph34r:

4401f507-357e-4cf2-9e04-49b550342e63.jpg

Edited by Too Tall John
Check reviews before you decide to buy any GPS. It's been a long time since I checked any reviews about the models you've mentioned, but when I did they were getting terrible reviews. I decided to buy a Garmin GPS map 60Csx. It doesn't have all of the bells and whistles that that the 300 or 550 does for geocaching, but at the time it was a better GPS.
Garmin has been continuously improving the Oregon's accuracy through updates, downloadable from Garmin's website, so the accuracy issue has been improved. In some cases, the 60CSX is still more accurate, but the gap is closing from my observations caching with both units.
Best to be sure, though. Your moniker and avatar do seem to imply you're from the stone age. They had the GPS 60 back then, right? :ph34r:

4401f507-357e-4cf2-9e04-49b550342e63.jpg

lol!

thing to consider: i don't wnat a touchscreen GPS simply because i would destroy it the first time i slid down a rock face on it. my 60CSX is pretty beat up.

the delorme pn-40 is also a very fine unit, although i don't like how it feels in my hand, nor its display or button placement as much. once you go for the good units, it's going to come down to small personal preferences like that.

thing to consider: i don't wnat a touchscreen GPS simply because i would destroy it the first time i slid down a rock face on it. my 60CSX is pretty beat up.
A good point. I've already had to get the screen replaced on my Oregon after inadvertently putting a branch through the screen. Fortunately, Garmin fixed it for a fraction of the cost of a whole new unit.