GSAK, what the....

scrapes

...heck do I do with it? WOW, what a program, looks overwhelming! Brilliant program from what I can tell.

Next step is to become a premium member isn't it?

I searched the archives for "GSAK" but I get an error message not enough characters. How would I search for anything related to GSAK?

Is it GSAK that makes all the nice graphs and record keeping that shows up on account names on Geocaching.com?

Or is that part of being a premium member? Sorry about the most basic of questions.

Yes and yes.

GSAK is one of the programs, which can generate the HTML code for the profile. This is done with the FindStatsGen Makro. But you still need the my finds pocket query or you manually download all the gpx-files of the geocaches you found and enter them into a database in GSAK.

There are possibilities to get all the graphs and so on without being a PM, but I don't know how.

GermanSailor

Is it GSAK that makes all the nice graphs and record keeping that shows up on account names on Geocaching.com?

Or is that part of being a premium member? Sorry about the most basic of questions.

Refer to my profile, is that what you mean? If yes, I use GSAK and the charts and graphs are mostly from the FindStatGen macro. The links to click of addtional maps are my code.

There are a couple other site based stats, notably ItsNotAboutTheNumbers.com. Also there is MyGeoCachingProfile.com and logicweave.com. The first two are driven off your MyFinds PQ and logicweave is a downloadable program.

In all cases you need to be a premium member to get the needed PQs.

Jim

...heck do I do with it? WOW, what a program, looks overwhelming! Brilliant program from what I can tell.

Next step is to become a premium member isn't it?

Yes you need to be a premium member to get any real benefit from GSAK. Given what you have spent on the gps a membership is next to nothing ...

I had the same problem - everybody told me how great GSAK was and what it could be made to do, but nobody thought to tell me what it's basic essential function is.

So here it is (drum roll please)

GC.com is an online database of caches which you can run up to 5 PQ's on each day, with certain fairly limited criteria. GSAK is an offline database of caches which you can query as often as you like, the search criteria are head and shoulders above a PQ, and once the data is in there you can also do all the other stuff.

Use broad PQs to populate GSAK's database, then do specific queries on GSAK.

Hope that helps

Gary

GSAK is an excellent program. It can be as simple or as complicated as one wants it to be. As mentioned above, a beginner might be less intimidated with a more basic software such as EasyGPS. After caching a while and learning what sorts of Geocache data they would like to see, GSAK might seem more useful and a bit less complicated.

I use GSAK and was not overwhelmed by the program when I started out. Just remember it does a lot but you don't need to use ALL the features from the first day. Just concentrate on:

Creating a pocket queiry (premium membership feature)

entering it into GSAK

Exporting database to your GPS

Go caching!!!

that will give you an ordered list with the closest hides at the top and a copy on your GPSr.

I know that I can also use GSAK to log my finds but I still do that directly on Groundspeak.

I have created a macro tom automate the process plus do a few more things, but that should get you familiar with the program. Cant tell ou anything about easygps, never used it.

A followup question...........when I do my pocket queary the return gives me two files, one .gpx and a waypoint.gpx, what is the difference?

I've done some reading and with familiarity its all coming together. Thanks everyone.

The first file is your caches and the other is extras aka child waypoints that might be included with the cache, parking or trailheads and the like. You can just drag the whole file right into GSAK unzipped, it knows what to do with it.

When you see bolded caches in GSAK it means it has child waypoints.

GSAK is the best supported software I have ever used. Their forums are really the place to ask/read/learn.

Edited by hallycat

This may help you a bit... its how getting cache data from GC.com to my GPS has evolved. If you can visualize what GSAK can do for a typical user (me), then you might see that it's something you want to pursue.

In the beginning, I would use the "send to GPS" feature on GC.com to load individual cache files (the information for one cache in one *.gpx file) to my GPS. My particular unit holds 200 *.gpx files or 2000 cache, whichever comes first. This method was obviously quite tedious. And it didn't take much time to bump up against the 200 file limit.

I later realized that you can download Pocket Queries (results from a search that you define) from GC. The PQ's can have up to 500 cache entries per *.gpx file. GC.com emails the PQ's to your email. On Friday morning I would open each email, unzip the files, and copy them to my GPS. It was better but still tedious.

With GSAK, I have it go get the PQ's from my email, it then unzip the files, then loads/updates the data into the database. It tells the email server to remove the files from my inbox. It deletes the zip files from my computer. I then click "send to GPS", in GSAK, and it does just that.

So with two clicks, one to get the PQ data from my email, and another, a couple minutes later, to send the data to the GPS, my GPS is loaded with up-to-date cache information on nearly 2000 caches.

My use is actually quite simple. Others are doing even more elaborate sorting etc... It's very powerful.

Support is top notch over at the the GSAK forums as well.

There is a learning curve, but I feel the end result is worth the effort.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Sam

Edited by SamSpade47