Resetting PN 40

Yes... http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=16868

Here's the distilled wisdom from many months of ongoing disucssion:

- If connected, disconnect the USB cable from the GPS.

- Remove the batteries, and the SD card if installed.

- Press the power button for 10-20 seconds and release it.

- Put in fresh, fully charged batteries.

-- Make sure they're inserted the right way. Look for TINY + - case markings.

-- Make sure the contact springs aren't collapsed, the batteries should fit snug.

- Try powering it up again.

If that doesn't help, phone DeLorme's technical support.

Edited by lee_rimar

Yes... http://forum.delorme.com/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=16868

Here's the distilled wisdom from many months of ongoing disucssion:

- If connected, disconnect the USB cable from the GPS.

- Remove the batteries, and the SD card if installed.

- Press the power button for 10-20 seconds and release it.

- Put in fresh, fully charged batteries.

-- Make sure they're inserted the right way. Look for TINY + - case markings.

-- Make sure the contact springs aren't collapsed, the batteries should fit snug.

- Try powering it up again.

If that doesn't help, phone DeLorme's technical support.

I know folks are making a big noise on this, but the markings on my Canon and other devices are as bad which indicates to me this is an industry standard. The upside is, there is a white tag in my PN that indicates the + and -. Not so on the Canon or the headlamp.

...No luck, it's a brick...
That's unfortunate.

Plan B is to let it sit without batteries for several hours, then put them back in, and try again.

Plan C is to attach the USB cable to the GPS first and then the computer, and try again.

All of that might seem a bit random, but it's really just testing each of the power options separately.

Well we got out and had a great day caching, got home and put some batteries in the PN40 and it powered up! BTW, I don't think the pos/neg markings are the problem that is we can both make them out, I have to squint a tad but yep- they're there allright. I seriously doubt incorrect battery installation is part of the problem.

Thanks again for your input folks, We will be in touch with support Tues.

Allow me to vent a little, this is twice in three months a brand new unit has failed. First a Garmin HC and now this Delorme PN40. My take is these are navigational tools and should be built to a high standard, people depend on them. I acknowledge the need of a back up unit in a critical situation but I thought maybe in case I drop or lose the primary. Not in the case it's having a bad hair day.

I feel better now, thanks.

Good to know that Plan B (let it sit for a few hours) worked.

Let us know after you talk to DeLorme if they ask to have the unit sents back. If they do, you can expect it'll come back with a notation "replaced back plastics." Whatever is built into the backing (power regulating capacitor, USB contacts, battery springs, etc) seems to be the root of all evil on these things.

BTW, how did your Garmin fail?

Let us know after you talk to DeLorme if they ask to have the unit sents back. If they do, you can expect it'll come back with a notation "replaced back plastics." Whatever is built into the backing (power regulating capacitor, USB contacts, battery springs, etc) seems to be the root of all evil on these things.

I will post our experience with Delorme support, I hope this can be worked out as Robin loves the unit. The Delorme was a replacement for the Garmin (a birthday present) which went blank and powered down in the field and would not accept the update. Link.

Glad to hear it came back to life and still keeping faith in Delorme. I like others started with the PN-20 and graduated to the 40. In my case the only problem I have had was pins sticking in the adapter piece for the usb cable. Chip jumped in and got me a replacement quick from tech support no problems since.

I will post our experience with Delorme support, I hope this can be worked out as Robin loves the unit. The Delorme was a replacement for the Garmin (a birthday present) which went blank and powered down in the field and would not accept the update. Link.

Happened to me twice.

I will say that Delorme's tech support was the best I have ever encountered.

First time was right after a battery change, I always wondered if I put the batts in backwards. Just my self doubt kicking in.

Second time it was a couple caches after a batt change.

Again my self doubt kicked in, and when it returned I made the + and - marks are much clearer.