Monster-in-the-Box COINTESTS

Mar-elendili

I know that bees can get dangarous, but... I like playng with them! thay are lovely creatures!!! :D

I can grab them and let them walk on my hands... they stay! It is amazing!

when I go to springs or tabs... I see that there are bees trying to drink water! some poor ones fell in the water and they die! When I am there, I am saving them! :( I love bees! B) Once I had a bee in my hands, until she dry her wings! after she left.... my hands were smelling something like honey and flowers! :D

So... Is there anyone who knows about mortars here? Were the things I found dangerous??

I have had a couple of scary situations while hunting down caches. I actually had a couple of scares on the same day. While heading to Arizona with my daughter to help her pick up the last of her belongings as she moved back to California we stopped a few times to go caching. One of the first desert caches we came to was the dirst scary one.

We had about a 1/2 mile hike/walk to the cache site. Once we got there locating the cache was quite simple as the coordinates were dead on. The scary part was when I lifted the cache (a flat metal tin box). As soon as I had it off the ground I saw it, a large SCORPION!!! Needless to say, I stepped back and fell on my rear which caused my daughter to burst out laughing until she saw the scorpion skitter out of its hideout under the cache. Once we regained our composure we grabbed the camera and followed it taking pictures and probably annoying it.

Picture001.jpg

About 100 miles further down the road to Phoenix we stopped for another easy cache find in a man-made desert wash. The wash was full of smaller rocks (all about 10-15 pounds) all along the sides. Following the GPSr it pointed me right to the middle of the oposite side of the wash. We headed over to GZ and when we were about 10 feet away we heard it! The distinctive sound of a rattlesnake rattlin his rattle! Since we were standing amidst these little boulders the footing wasn't too good and AGAIN I stepped back (after hearing the snake) and fell on my backside. This time my daughter had heard it too and did not start laughing but did help me to get up. We found a large stick and slowly approached the area the GPSr was pointing us only to hear the rattle sound again. The rocks were about three layers deep all around and we could not see where the sound was coming from. Being the crazy cachers we are we proceeded to flip over rocks using the stick to try and locate the cache. We had just flipped over one particularly large rocks when we saw the snake! It was a BIG one, about 6 foot long and very thick. Hearing it was scary,but when we saw it we both levitated out of the wash and found ourselves back at the cachemobile almost instantly. Needless to say we did NOT find that cache that trip, and have been back there three other times to try and find it. One other time the snake was still there and the other two we were so cautious and freaked out by the previous run-ins with the snake that we stopped before we could find it... Sorry, no pictures of the snake, but I did get a video of where the sound was coming from, on the video you can hear the rattle of the snake...

Link to video/audio of rattle snake

I know that bees can get dangarous, but... I like playng with them! thay are lovely creatures!!! :D

when I go to springs or tabs... I see that there are bees trying to drink water! some poor ones fell in the water and they die! When I am there, I am saving them! :( I love bees! B) Once I had a bee in my hands, until she dry her wings! after she left.... my hands were smelling something like honey and flowers! :D

So... Is there anyone who knows about mortars here? Were the things I found dangerous??

I'm not an expert by any means but I would say the mortars were dangerous. The explosives may be unstable after such a period of time.

I'm not an expert by any means but I would say the mortars were dangerous. The explosives may be unstable after such a period of time.

the thing that made me go and actually pick 2 of them (then I let them down), was that some do not have the top, but... I am almost sure that when these things explode, they are turning into pieces!!! There is no way that the iron part will stay like that!!! this can only happen with the full metal mortars that are only for practice, but these are not like the ones in the photo!!! I was in sock when I realize that I was holding something deadly dangerous and I was in a hole with so many of them!!!! I think I will have to tell about it to the army!!! these things are not safe and since many tourists are passing and some are geocachers...

the fact I am not saying the place and the exact spot of the mortars is for the safety of everybody!!!

The cointest has been closed for three hours now, and we have been reading, re-reading, thinking, discussing... a lot!

We enjoyed reading your stories and viewing your pics, and it has been very difficult to choose one story.

As morbid as it may seem, we have finally agreed to say SYOTT has won. Nothing EVER prepares you to what they have found that day. Scary indeed.

Please SYOTT, send me your address and your choice of finish for your Monster-in-a-Box coin.

It almost feels weird to say 'Congrats'...

Please you all, stay safe while caching!

(Mods, please leave the thread open, a new cointest should follow in a couple of hours. Thanks!)

The coin won the scariest story for sure!!! so you choose right my friend! Syott deserved to win!!!

With that find... I feel weird to say congrats to Syott too! I can olny say one thing... I hope my friend that you will never face something like that again!!!

Hmm... a new cointest is coming!!!! cool!!!! B) Hopes still exist! :D

Thank you for all the cointests and the chances you are giving us!!! :(

Edited by GATOULIS

Thank you for choosing what I said as the "winner"... it was one of the worst days of my life, but it does have a happier ending in a way.

I've gotten help both spiritually and through professionals. and I have the most amazing/OMG story from this as well which I'd like to share with everyone.

After everything calmed down from that day, I started looking in the obits of our local paper to see if I can find out at least the name of this young man, which I did. His wake was that night and I felt it necessary to go to it, if only to get the vision of how I found him out of my head and to see him how he would have looked.

While preparing to go to the wake, I decided to open the cache for the first time (which I removed from the scene at the police request), to my astonishment and believe me, this is no word of a lie... sitting on top of the cache contents was a pewter angel!!! I grabbed it and took it along with me.

At the wake, I found his mother and pulled her aside to introduce myself as the person that found his son... I explained to her what I was doing out there and then told her what I found and that I felt that she should have it... what really blew my mind is that she told me she received an angel every year for Christmas from her son. She was convinced that this was from him!!! WOW... she then took me around to the rest of the family/friends and told them my story and what was left in the cache... something I wasn't expecting to happen at all... I was expecting questions to be asked that I couldn't answer. All I received was hugs and thanks for finding him.

I still talk with his parents on a regular basis and have become very close with them as well... through tragedy we've made a bond that will last

WOW!!! Sometimes... things like that makes you feel that everything is ment to be like that! To find an angel in the cache the dead guy was, and he was giving an anger to her mother every Christmas... Oh!!!!

My friend... that was the most touching story!!! It is good that you got some help to pass this event without "wounds"

hmm... you are in the military! Do you know anything about mortars? B)

I hope you read about my find, and I am curius... how dangerous was what I did!

WOW!!! Sometimes... things like that makes you feel that everything is ment to be like that! To find an angel in the cache the dead guy was, and he was giving an anger to her mother every Christmas... Oh!!!!

My friend... that was the most touching story!!! It is good that you got some help to pass this event without "wounds"

ANY unexploded ordinance should be dealt with by experts... under no circumstance should you even go near it if you see it... even though it didn't explode when moved (lucky), a simple static spark could have made things alot worse...

Next time anything like this happens, the best thing to do is to mark the location, flag it off if you can and contact local emergency services who can properly deal with these items.

To answer your curiosity... it was EXTREMELY dangerous what you did... chalk it up as a lesson learned

ANY unexploded ordinance should be dealt with by experts... under no circumstance should you even go near it if you see it... even though it didn't explode when moved (lucky), a simple static spark could have made things alot worse...

Next time anything like this happens, the best thing to do is to mark the location, flag it off if you can and contact local emergency services who can properly deal with these items.

To answer your curiosity... it was EXTREMELY dangerous what you did... chalk it up as a lesson learned

WOW!!! well... I was stupid enough to do this and then I realised that I was in danger!

Oups!! Static spark!!! I didn't think of this!! my mind went to vibrations from my steps and from the way I entered in the hole... or when I cleaned the two of them to see the date!!! I was lucky!!!!

Hmm.. I will contact with the army so they will move them from there!!!

I was in the army for some months doing my duty to my country, like all Greek men but.. I didn't know anything about mortars! I had only seen the full metal one that are used for practice because they were displayed in an office! I was only sure that these when they fell, they explode, so they can not be in one piece!!! And there were many different kind of mortars, shells etc there! They were all old with dates of the 1940's and 50's!!

Oh! I will never touch these things again!!!

Thank you my friend!

Edited by GATOULIS

OK, onwards to Cointest #3! This one will be more light-hearted!

You're still playing for a Monster-in-a-Box geocoin :

2681404400028999818S500x500Q85.jpg

COINTEST #3 : WHAT'S IN THE BOX?

This cointest will be creative and fun.

My cointest, my rules!

1. Cointest open to everyone!

2. One post per user. No edits. In case of multiple posts, only the first one will count.

3. Winner will be chosen by the mar-elendili team (me and my husband). In case there are ties, we reserve the right to finish the choice randomly.

4. Winner will choose the geocoin version they want to win.

5. No whining, no complaining, have fun!

Please tell us what is in the box! Use your imagination, be creative, be humorous, be as detailed as you want. It doesn't have to be what you see on the backside. It doesn't have to match my original idea.

You have until next Friday, 12 February 2010, 18:00 GMT+1, to submit your ideas. Any entries beyond that point will not count.

Let's read you!

:o At first , my mind went to these little lovely creatures like the one you have in your avantar.... that looks mike a mouse, but they are not... aren't they? :)

But I admit it! What I really believe the monster is, is.. a lovely cat or kitten!!! :grin: Why? Hey, just look my avantar1 B) Can you find similarities?? :o

so.. your coin...shows the moment before my avantar photo was taken! See.. in my avantar the chest is open! :grin:

I am wondering... what the kitten did... consider to be FTF???? :o

thank you for the cointest!!! :grin:

I know.. I know... one post per user, but I forgot something..... these little eyes in your coin seems to wonder.....

"But where is the food???"

or... "did someone called my name?? Is the food ready??"

Or this cute monster probably saying......

"HA! Now who will find me to take me to the Vet? NOOOOOBODY!!!!! B)"

I guess that this monster is a descendant of the species from the Tribbles of Star Trek. It may be hungry for other coins and if they come closer, they were eaten up :lol: ! So the monster in the box multiplies by leaps and bounds, so that everyone will get one ;)

And there will no other coins like the geo-tribbles ;)

Edited by numakeh

To me, the eyes look more worried than mischevious. I don't think it is a holstile monster at all. I think it looks like a puppy who had an "accident" in the house, and is afraid that he is going to get in trouble, so he is hiding. But he just has to know if his owner is coming to find him.

Thanx for all of the cointests!!!

sorry for posting again! I am just.....

Well....I hope for your forgiveness my friend mar-elendili

I just took in my hands the first exclusive photos of the monster in he box, that show it at the exact moment when the box opened! So now you can see what is behind these glowing eyes!!!! B)

Gremlins-fb.jpg

gremlins-gift.jpg

so... do not put the coin close to water!!!!! ;)

Thank you for choosing what I said as the "winner"... it was one of the worst days of my life, but it does have a happier ending in a way.

I've gotten help both spiritually and through professionals. and I have the most amazing/OMG story from this as well which I'd like to share with everyone.

After everything calmed down from that day, I started looking in the obits of our local paper to see if I can find out at least the name of this young man, which I did. His wake was that night and I felt it necessary to go to it, if only to get the vision of how I found him out of my head and to see him how he would have looked.

While preparing to go to the wake, I decided to open the cache for the first time (which I removed from the scene at the police request), to my astonishment and believe me, this is no word of a lie... sitting on top of the cache contents was a pewter angel!!! I grabbed it and took it along with me.

At the wake, I found his mother and pulled her aside to introduce myself as the person that found his son... I explained to her what I was doing out there and then told her what I found and that I felt that she should have it... what really blew my mind is that she told me she received an angel every year for Christmas from her son. She was convinced that this was from him!!! WOW... she then took me around to the rest of the family/friends and told them my story and what was left in the cache... something I wasn't expecting to happen at all... I was expecting questions to be asked that I couldn't answer. All I received was hugs and thanks for finding him.

I still talk with his parents on a regular basis and have become very close with them as well... through tragedy we've made a bond that will last

Thank you SO much for sharing this, it is a very moving story. What a kind and caring person you are - you will have made things so much better for these poor people. And - your signature - that is spot on my friend! The world needs more people like you. ;)

The red haired monster that used to be in the bugs bunny cartoon. Will try to find a pic.

Seekerfamily

You mean this friendly looking fellow???

w83946477.jpg

That would be the one - Thanks JohnMac.

He was in 2 bugs bunny original cartoons Hair-Raising Hare in 1946 and Water, Water Every Hare in 1952. He went by two different names - Rudolph and Gossamer (named in 1980 by Marvin the Martian in Duck Dodger and the Return of the 24-1/2th Century.

70ce7afa-78f7-48be-b3ea-62f937633a5b.jpg

Edited by seekerfamily

What’s kept inside this very old box?

A treasure in jewels, or old dusty socks?

In the attic it’s been for so many years

Behind a cane chair and some old bicycle gears

The hasp was locked tight, no sign of a key

But I knew a trick my mom had taught me

Jiggle a hairpin and then gently rock

I soon heard the click that opened the lock

I gathered myself and let out a sigh

I’ll have a quick look and see what I spy

Raising the lid and bending over to see

I see two white eyes looking back at me

I let the lid slam and jump back in fright

Some minutes go by till I feel alright

And screw up the courage to open it wide

I fling up the lid and peer deep inside

I find a square frame, an old looking glass

The frame was carved and a bit crass

But I had to laugh, the monster you see

Was just a reflection of silly old me

OK. Cointest closed!

We quickly reviewed the entries and are very surprised they were so few. Do I have to come up with better cointest ideas, or a better geocoin to offer? :)

Anyway, you've considerably made our task easier. Our choice will be quickly announced :

CATSNFISH is the winner!

The poem is very well done, full of mystery and humour. We loved it!

Please send me your address and your choice of finish.

I hope you all had fun and if you still want a Monster-in-a-Box geocoin, you know where to find me! :laughing: I have more for trades and sales.

Oh no my dear!!!! :) The coin is beautiful and the cointest was very funny! I do not know what is happening.... Even in other cointests.... things are not as they were supposed to be! I am wondering why!!

Congratulations Catsnfish!!!! :laughing: Well done my friend!!! :laughing:

Thank you so much my friend for the great cointests and for the chances you gave us to win one of your lovely coins! :ph34r:

Edited by GATOULIS