Monster-in-the-Box COINTESTS

Mar-elendili

Now that our personals are finally in our hands, we can open some cointests for this wonderful geocoin community! There will be at least three cointests, maybe more, depending on time and mood!

Here is what you will be playing for :

2681404400028999818S500x500Q85.jpg

COINTEST #1 : THE WINNER MAKER

This cointest will be easy as pie.

My cointest, my rules!

1. Cointest only open to users who have NOT YET won in any cointest on this forum. Please play fair.

2. One post per user. No edits.

3. Winner will be chosen randomly.

4. Winner will choose the geocoin version they want to win.

5. No whining, no complaining, have fun!

That's all. In your post, explain why you deserve to win, how long you've been playing and not winning, what version you like best and would like to win, anything cointest related, and do it with humour!

Deadline : Friday 22nd January, 17:00 my time (GMT +1:00)

Off we go and have fun!

As with MtnMutt, I've been participating in forum talk and entering the occasional cointest since Jan 2008 without success. I've always been proud for the winners, although admittedly after a 5-10 minute rant involving some colorful language and fists raised to the sky. It's a problem. I'm working on it.

I really like these monster-in-the-box coins, as they remind me of my toybox when I was a child. I am most interested in the green/copper one because green is my favorite color. (And I have been know to go absolutely GREEN with envy for those who have much better cointest-karma than me!)

Thanks for the cointest, and congratulations and a fun design!

Lovely coins my friend!!! :)

WOW! I do not know which one Ilike more!!! :shocked: Ok, I like the green and the orange a lot... but I also like the red (my godfather has a metal red cheast from the time he was in USA!), and the blue that has the Greek colors! :huh:

Well... maybe I like the green a little more... but this can change... :laughing:

This is NOT an entry in Cointest one for me, because I won many cointests!

I am posting to say a huge Thank you for the coins and for making a coin only for the Cachers who didn't won any cointests!!! It is very kind of you my friend!!! :laughing:

This is indeed an easy cointest, and so why not participating :-)

I've tried a few times before, in the last two years or so, but I guess I was simply unlucky. Last time I tried was a cointest about Christmas decorations, and I decided to send some pictures in the last day. However, I did not realized the correct ending time, and so the winner was announced while I was editing my post with the pictures :) I enjoyed to share the pictures anyway, and it was nice to have feedback :-)

I must say that I also participated in a geocoin Challenge that was run by Tsunrisebey, which I was able to conclude, and therefore I won a prize. I'm not sure if this is the same as a cointest, but if yes, that I am not eligible as a participant here.

Most of all, I find these Monster-in-the-Box coins very funny :shocked: The one I prefer is the orange/brownish, maybe because it seems more like a real wood box.

Cheers, and have fun! :-)

Antonio

Hi, my name is IBcrashen. I have to be one of the longest contest loosers loooooser_by_7anime7drawer7.gif on the forums. Most of the time I miss out on the contest totally but hey, no whining here. _drinkwine__by_cschrensky.gif Well, thanks for making me point out to myself and the world. Bubbleboy_looser_by_dannyboymic.gif

Now I am feeling blue _blue__by_elicoronel16.gif so Blue is my favorite. At least I got to watch my team win today, OK only saw 1/2 of the game.

GO VIKINGS!!

Well, I'm new(er) to the forums. I had been on a long time ago and just came back a few months ago. I love this community and plan on being an active part of it. I have yet to win a cointest, although I have only entered 4. :)

I love the blue and orange boxes. They remind me of when I was a kid, my mom's chest was my favorite place to hind for hid and seek. :shocked:

That's all. In your post, explain why you deserve to win, how long you've been playing and not winning, what version you like best and would like to win, anything cointest related, and do it with humour!

Off we go and have fun!

I'll give it a crack!

Why do I deserve to win: I don't. No more than anyone else chosen by random selection. :) It all depends on how happy Lord Shiva is with me this week. Let's see, I've been doing the occasional cointest since September, when I found out about them from some fellow cachers at the 9/9/9 event; you can see my photos in the DJ Rock's Photo Cointest thread. I always manage to get in on the darn things too late, or they're too esoteric for me to figure out .

Of the four, I like the orange and the green best. The green with the gold chest banding is very pretty aesthetically; the orange shows off the wood slats better than the other colors (plus I'm a sucker for silver). Pity you didn't get a chest in purple, tho! The blue is a GORGEOUS shade, but from that angle I can't really see the wood slats very well.

It's a great little design. Reminds me of when I was a kid....I'd pile up all the stuffed animals from my bed into the rocking chair next to my bed, then climb into bed and turn out the light. Only to see at least three pairs of glowing stuffed animal eyes watching me!!!!!!!

Wow, great coin! I love the orange one especially.

I've been on the forums ever since Anne (anneandeli) told me about cointests and missions months ago. So I entered, and entered, and... not a thing. But it was still fun all the same! :) And, of course, the missions have been fantastic.

I, too, am reminded of my childhood when I see these. I had a toy chest at the bottom of my bed (carefully guarded by my stuffed tiger with a funny haircut -- who knew tiger fur wouldn't grow back?) But every night if I had trouble sleeping, my imagination would take over and I'd envision all these critters from the toy chest crawling around on my floor and walls and ceiling! Scary at the time, but looking back on it, this coin just makes me laugh because of it. :shocked:

Thanks for the cointest, and good luck everyone!

I deserve to win the blue with silver coin because I am a noob and geocoins are cool and I don't have any, this being said I do realize im a noob but I am ex navy and in seal teams there might be a lil bit of tom foolery if you smell what I am stepping in OCCASIONALLY, and one of our favorite past times was hiding in someones footlocker after showers and scaring the bejeezus out of whoever was lucky enough to be chosen, so this coin brings back some of those good memories for me and I laugh because it expresses exactly the way the person in the footlocker felt ready to spring out!

I don't really deserve a free coin, but it would be awesome to do so... I've entered a few cointests over the past couple of years but never won any... I've held a few cointests myself and it really is better to give than to receive... It adds a new level of fun and excitement to Geocaching and Geocoin collecting that's hard to explain. Speaking of how exciting it is... I think I'll start up a new cointest as soon as I come up with some kind of new and fun contest... I'll probably also do a ebay auction will all proceeds going to a charity because that's an awesome idea that I just saw somebody did for the Haiti relief fund. What an awesome way to give a little something back.

As far as the coin, I like the orange one the best... seeing that it's the most realistic to a treasure chest. I love the design and concept and I can't wait to see any upcoming designs! Keep on Caching!

This is my first cointest I have entered. Mostly because I have never entered one. Do you really give someone and unactivated geocoin/bug for them to have? I have heard about a travel bug contest but I am weary about if it is just pulling my leg. Pick me and you can change my mind!

And the green one is pretty. I used to have one that looked almost identicle to that!

I think anyone is deserved to win, me not more than others. :huh:

I collect coins since a year ca and up to now, i entered only one time to a cointest. Often i can´t answere the questions, because my english is not good enough. But now i´ll try...

I like the blue one must and the green one on second place.

Nice coin design!

Hello and thankyou for ythe cointest,

i have not been with the forum that long but think my cheeky smile is well known across the board:

204bf336-4c11-47df-bb0b-7e0dcf2fae03.jpg

I have entered a few cointest but never won any :)

Also i cant see what im playing for!! i dont have internet at my home so rely only on work :huh:

due to there tight security blocker i cannot access any of the photo share sites and even blocks the links of photos, all i can see im playing for is a red "X"

I am happy with any finish but am quite fond of the antique look,

thankyou for the cointest and i hope im considered for the win!!

Now that our personals are finally in our hands, we can open some cointests for this wonderful geocoin community! There will be at least three cointests, maybe more, depending on time and mood!

Here is what you will be playing for :

2681404400028999818S500x500Q85.jpg

COINTEST #1 : THE WINNER MAKER

This cointest will be easy as pie.

My cointest, my rules!

1. Cointest only open to users who have NOT YET won in any cointest on this forum. Please play fair.

2. One post per user. No edits.

3. Winner will be chosen randomly.

4. Winner will choose the geocoin version they want to win.

5. No whining, no complaining, have fun!

Off we go and have fun!

Im new to geocoins...........and would love to have one to start my collection....i really like the red one...i have only entered one geocoin contest so far, and didn't win ;) but i'll keep trying....

Well this is just my second cointest, cause i am not posting very often to this forum, but read it allot. The other one was the photo cointest, where I was not under the lucky ones.

I really like every box, but my favorite box is the red one.

Hope the monster likes cookies, but well every monster likes cookies. So it does not eat me or the other coins in my coin case.

But well, would be funny to know, what geocoins do, when the top is closed.

Would the creatures of nightcaching geocoin attack the edeltraud the sheep geocoin?

Or will the virus geocoins try to spread their deseases?

Perhaps the monster in the box could help me to make this studies. Would be really useful for society ;)

Ding Ding Ding!

Time's over. Randomness (random.org) strongly suggested me to pick #3 as winner of the first cointest!

So the winner is : Penny and Kona

Please send me your address and confirm if you still want the Green Monster-in-the-Box geocoin!

Congratulations and thanks everyone for playing!

(Mods, please leave the thread open, a second cointest is coming up fast. Either I have the time to launch it quickly or it will be after the week-end if I'm still alive... I have two intensive days of viking wrestling ahead. Wish me luck!)

Ding Ding Ding!

Time's over. Randomness (random.org) strongly suggested me to pick #3 as winner of the first cointest!

So the winner is : Penny and Kona

Please send me your address and confirm if you still want the Green Monster-in-the-Box geocoin!

Congratulations and thanks everyone for playing!

(Mods, please leave the thread open, a second cointest is coming up fast. Either I have the time to launch it quickly or it will be after the week-end if I'm still alive... I have two intensive days of viking wrestling ahead. Wish me luck!)

Thanx for the cointest(s), and I wish you best of luck!!!

Wow, this is awesome! While taking a break from data entry, I thought I should visit the forums quickly and check on more humorous entries. I totally lost track of the timeline for cointest #1 and am temporarily dumbstruck that I've won!

Thank you to random.org for being random in my favor today.

A special "thank you" to mar-elendili for hosting this cointest and for making a really fun coin. I am so looking forward to seeing it in person!

I'm back and still alive, so it's time for COINTEST #2!

You're still playing for a Monster-in-a-Box Geocoin, free choice of version for the winner (see picture in post#1)

This one cointest is called SCARY CACHING and is open to everyone, without any posting/caching/noobness restriction. All you have to do is write in your post the scariest thing or situation you have ever encountered while caching. Photos are a plus!

Rules

1. One post per user.

2. Winner will be chosen by the Mar-elendili team (me and my husband)

3. Winner will choose the geocoin version they want to win.

4. No whining, no complaining, have fun!

To have a good start, here is what I consider the scariest situation we experienced so far while out caching. It was last May, we were in a small village in low mountains. We had to cross the village to reach the cache. On the way there, no problem. We walked right to the cache and thought it would just be another fun and easy one. But on the way back to the car, right in the middle of the village, we saw a huge cloud of bees buzzing and being all upset around a house, just next to the street. No other way to go, we had to cross the cloud. We held our breath and walked as calmly as possible and everything went fine, but if one bee had felt attacked, things could have gotten real ugly for us!

Here is how it looked like :

99cc60cf-d81d-4d1f-b522-1e03d108bbdb.jpg

Now that you've got an example (of course not counting for the cointest!), I want to read YOUR stories and see YOUR pictures!

Deadline Wednesday 3 February 18.00 GMT+1.

Have fun!

Well other than being a little freaked out doing my first night cache alone i did encounter a baby black bear not 200m from me on a trail and what really freaked me out was it looked like it was looking for mom needless to say me and my geodog very carefully turned around and made a slightly brisk walk in the other direction. it was the scariest walk back to the car every couple seconds looking over my shoulder and jumping at every sound in the woods.

there were times that I or we... faced dangerous or difficult situations during geocaching! sometimes it was dangerous for me (so quite scary), like the time I was climping to find a cache and the rock I was on fell and I took the way down... and landed in a Thorny bush with my face... It was a very bad and scary situation that I spok about in the Blood drop cointest! An other time It was after a rain and I went to a cache that was on the edge of a clif in an area that actually has an old wire fence to keep everyone off! The ground was wet and slippery and....

this cache is the most dangerous in the island! I managed to go there but my sister was socked when she saw where I was going! I was holding a small tree to avoid felling in the clif! all the rocks there were not stable because of the rain....

I could say that it was dangerous when after a DNF my brother in law realized that he lost his mobile phone! It was almost dark and we didn't have flash lights with us! So we went back home took the lights and went back there... It was not close but... when we went it was raining and it was very dark! We went even if it was a very rocky place, it was slippery and full of cliffs! Quite dangerous but we found the mobile phone! (you can read the whole story in the Online geocacher magazine, in my column! :D )

But I have to admit... the scariest situation while geocaching was when me, my sister & my brother in law, went to the tallest mountain of Rhodes to find a cache! There are ruins of an ancient temple of Zeus there, the most famous in its times in Rhodes! why it was scary??? I saw a guy there with a metal detector searching for ancients! This is a huge crime here in Greece!!!! I started yelling at him and asking him what he was doing there... I was a guard in a museum some years ago (I was also in 2008), and I real ancient history lover, so...

At that time I was not close to my sister and borother in law and the guy at first started going away but then stoped and I saw a movement to come close to me! then he saw my sister and my brother in law comming and my sister yeallled my name! the guy was probably scared that there were more... and left quickly! He dissappeared behind some rocks!

I found the cache which was not in its right place but thrown away (probably from him), and then we went ot eat in a tavern in a near village! I had a strange feeling....

The next day we called the archeology to say the whole thing! We had to say that we were geocachers, and the archeologist knew about the game!!! She told us that what I did was extremelly dangerous!! these guys are outlaws and dangerous! he could had carried a gun and he could shoot me for seeing him! I told her how he looked like what he was wearing etc, but since his face was almost covered.... :)

At the time I did that to the guy, it didn;t pass from my mind that I was in a big danger... my life was in danger!!! when the archeologist told us that... I was so scared!!!! the guy saw my face, knew my name.....

It was definately the scariest thing that happent to me till now during geocaching!!! (you can also read the whole story in the Online geocacher magazine in my column! :D )

I don't have any pics of this incident, but one day I noticed that there were some neat coins dropped in a cache that I had already found. I wanted to stop by to see them, and log a discovery. I reached into the log where I knew the cache to be, but struggled to find it. I reached in and pulled out the bunch of leaves and bark that had accumulated, and then was able to grab the container. Out with the debris and the container I had pulled a copperhead snake! It was alive, and was slithering around. I am really lucky that it didn't lash out at me, because I surely would have been bit. I was squatting very close, and he easily could have reached me!

I was very lucky. The snake left, I logged the discoveries, and also posted a note on the cache page warning others of what I had found there.

Just wanted to share the scariest moment while caching as well as in my life... I'm not going to get into details as it is inappropriate to do so on here, so if you really want details, I'll share it only via e-mail.

I was caching in 2008 and not 10m from GZ I had come across a young man that had taken his life earlier that day

Just letting people know that it DOES happen... if you've experienced anything like that and haven't talked to someone to help you through it, e-mail me and I'll be there to listen as I know what you're going through or have gone through

I don' have any pictures but, I did come across a snake that was right next to where I was walking on the path in a park. I'm deathly afraid of snakes. <_< I was walking back to my car after a DNF, talking to someone on my cell, when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. I looked down, and saw the snake slithering away from me. It scared me so bad I couldn't talk to explain to whoever I was talking to on the cell phone what had happened.

<_< August 3, 2003... I did Rattlesnake Cache by Evergreenhiker.

What a day to remember!! This was not actually scary but exciting.

Just as I put the cache away and turned to walk away.. Out jumps this beautiful Naked girl who yells 'Surprise, I'm Here!'

We both stare at each other and she then says' You're not him!' ... My answer 'who is him and how do I become him?'

At this point she realizes she is standing talking to me totally nude and can not figure which part to cover up as she switches hands back and forth.

Then we hear from the other side of this huge log.. a male voice, 'Where are you? I've got something for you!'

At that point, I tip my cap and excuse myself as she is still switching hands. As I round the end of the log there stands a butt naked guy... who then yells..'OOPS..Wrong person!' I keep walking...

I was a bit red and so a RED Monster in the Box would do nicely.

As i wrote Evergreenhiker, I wish I had my camera that day but I most likely would have forgotten to take a picture anyway but boy is that memory burned into my brain... All I can say is 'WOW', Nice cache!

Don't you think Red would do nicely? :D

:D August 3, 2003... I did Rattlesnake Cache by Evergreenhiker.

Just as I put the cache away and turned to walk away.. Out jumps this beautiful Naked girl who yells 'Surprise, I'm Here!'

We both stare at each other and she then says' You're not him!' ... My answer 'who is him and how do I become him?'

At this point she realizes she is standing talking to me totally nude and can not figure which part to cover up as she switches hands back and forth.

Then we hear from the other side of this huge log.. a male voice, 'Where are you? I've got something for you!'

At that point, I tip my cap and excuse myself as she is still switching hands. As I round the end of the log there stands a butt naked guy... who then yells..'OOPS..Wrong person!' I keep walking...

As i wrote Evergreenhiker, I wish I had my camera that day but I most likely would have forgotten to take a picture anyway but boy is that memory burned into my brain... All I can say is 'WOW', Nice cache!

<_<:D:rolleyes: "You're not him!" :rolleyes: No!!! I am him, I just change a little! :blink::blink:

Was she beautiful??? :D :D Lucky you....

On the other hand... can you imagine the ....I've got something for you???? Oh boy... that's the scary thing of the story!!!!!! :blink::P:D

:D August 3, 2003... I did Rattlesnake Cache by Evergreenhiker.

<_<:D:rolleyes: "You're not him!" :rolleyes: No!!! I am him, I just change a little! :blink::blink:

Was she beautiful??? ;)B) Lucky you....

On the other hand... can you imagine the ....I've got something for you???? Oh boy... that's the scary thing of the story!!!!!! :blink::P:D

LOL!!!!! :D:D:D

I have always said to myself that i will enter every cointest that come up............what ever it takes i will give it a go!!

After reading the cointest and the other posts on here i just cant enter......

nothing scary has ever happened to me caching, i could always twist an experience to mmmake it sccary but that not fair and not playing the game honestly which is a big no no any way you look at it.

people who have taken the time and effort and prepared to offer there coins as prizes deserve a honest game.

so for cointest #2 - good luck to all who participate but i will sit this one out and wait patiently for the next.

My dear friend daveindeal... Sometimes, things that do not look scary to us, may look scary to others! So why not post too? :D

the scary story I wrote, happent on March of 2008 in attavyros cache in rhodes! I didn't wrote anything in my log, just becasue I thought it was nothing serius! Only the next day, when the archeologist told us how dangerous this was, I understood..... If you read the whole story in the magazine I mention in my previous post, you will see the whole story with details!

I have an other scary and extremelly dangerous thing that happent to me but I saw that it is only one post per userm and I already posted!

I do not know if I can consider it as it was while geocaching.... I had posted photos of my find in DJJRocks thread too! If I am allowed, I would like to post that too, and it is ok if it will not count! :unsure: I will leave the cointest maker to choose which of my stories will count! <_<

I will do that to make you stay alert and read about the older logs and the info of the cacher who places a cache, about the area!!! Do not and I really mean that, DO NOT stupid things and follow instractions!

why I say that? I will tell my story and I am sure you will understand! :mad:

One day, we went with the family to a place to collect wild strawberries! the area was full with these bushes (in greece they do not turn into trees!)

In the area there was a cache so I desided to walk a little and go for a visit! In the area, a big place is used from the military too for exersises with real weapons! I know because when I was a soldier I participated in these exersises too!

Since I didn't go for geocaching but since I was there, I just visited the cache, I do not know if it counts for the cointest! ok? :o

The cache box was a little broken but I didn't have a replacement with me! I only had my banana purse with some things inside...

Anyway... the rest of the family desided to go some hundrents of meters away, and I told them that I would walk to find them! So, they entered in the car and left!

I came down from the hill the cache was, and started walking! the road was with asphalt! IT was a normal road and many cars especially during summer are passing from there to go a little feather...

Sorry I can not say which cache is and which area and you will see why, but... I admit that wit ha small search you will easily find the name of the area.... after all.... my log after my visit was mostly to stop other cachers of leaving the road and walk in the fields before the cache area!!!

Anyway... I started walking and when I was about 100 meters from the car that was stoped (my parents, my sister and my brother in law were collecting the wild fruits), I had to go to the toilet... so I left the road and went only 2 meter away from it!!! what I saw scared me but at that time I was the King of Stupids!!!!

Some days ago we had huge rain falls! So the earth had opened in some places near the road! I had the luck to find one of these opening but... it was full of Mortar shells!!!! Most of them were burried and only some parts were visible!!! I was socked! I didn't know if they were active or not, but I have the feeling that when a mortar is falling, it breaks into many many pieces.... right??? these were not!!!!! In some the top was missing, in others not!!! I even forgot why I was there!!!!

Now.. why I was at that time the king of Stupids???? I went down and lift 2 of them!!!! I read the dates... one had the date 1944 and the other 1953!!! I was examine one, cleaned it but them I realised that what I was doing could be so dangerous!!! These things even if you touch them or even if they feel a movement of earth when ou walk..., they can explode... since they were already droped and didn't explode then!!! Mortars are in the most dangerous weapons!!! if one exploded, all would and me and my family would .... :)

I left them back and went ot my brother in law to tell him about it! I took him to see them too and he was socked!!!! Hey.. I am not talking for 3 or 5 mortars in the gap!!!! I am talking about more than 50!!!!

As I said, I still do not know if these were deactivated or they are still dangerous but you never play with these things!!! If anyone from here knows, I would like to know about them! :laughing:

So, if the cache is near a military area or if you see instractions for the cache... follow them and do not do what ever you like!!!! Things may be dangerous!!!!

In case you want photos, here they are!!!!

picture00053-1.jpg

picture00054-1.jpg

picture00055.jpg

In the last photo you can see the ones I picked up and then let them back!!!

I was planning to call the army about them but I didn't! shall I??? these are only 2 meters away from the main road!!!!

We stopped along the roadside on the way to Courthouse and Jailhouse rocks to go after an ammo can, I had read a few of the previous logs and decided to take along our walking sticks, something we rarely use but always have handy on our trips. We went past a small hillside cemetery heading towards some rock outcroppings and I was in the lead as I have a faster walking pace than Vic. I was within 20 feet of where my gps put the ammo can we were seeking, when I heard a dreaded sound, the raspy ratchety shake of a rattlesnake's tail. The rattle was a much softer sound than movies had led me to believe, but still instantly recognizable. Acting on instinct, I jumped back hard enough to land on my butt, then quickly got up and took a look around me to see where it was and spied it slithering off in the brush. Looking back I told Vic to stay back and to get on top of a nearby flat rock. Her reply was "what??" but she quickly realized the situation. Taking a moment to calm down, I started ahead, slowly, swinging my walking stick like a blind persons cane hoping to startle up anything that may be in my path. I made my way to the far side of the large flat rock to find the prize. Poking around with my stick and hooking the can back to where I could safely reach it, signed the log and traded for an angel ornament before replacing the container. Repeating the cane tactic back to where Vic has been anxiously waiting, we make our way to the van.

P7140157-1.jpg

Well, we can't compete with scary things such as bears or rattlesnakes here in the UK! :) However, I had a very scary, but very silly, shock when caching recently in the snow. We don't often get much snow here in the south-east, but this year we had LOTS. I was caching in an area where lots of rhododendron bushes had been weighed down with snow. Suddenly one flew up right beside me as the snow was thawing out. It was JUST like when you see a skeleton spring out of a grave on a cartoon!! I nearly died!! Stupid thing was, it kept happening - and I kept jumping out of my skin!!