Can Etrex Models Average Coordinates?

AstroDav

I use a Magellan for hunting cache & love the way it works, regardless of the bad rep they sometimes have. However, it's not so good for hiding caches, as compared to some Garmins I have saw in use. My friend has a 60CSX & can just stand in one spot (at the cache) & let it average out coordinates for 1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes....whatever he feels like. And he can tell what the approximate accuracy level at that location is also.

As far as I know, the Magellan can't do that. In order to "average" coordinates, I actually have to AVERAGE them....by walking back & forth on the N/S plane & taking a center reading, then doing the same on the E/W plane. I do this 3-5 times, remembering or writing down each center measurement, then I average those out & use that figure.

This gives me usually a VERY close set of coordinates, but also takes a few minutes....not so good if you are in a populated area, with all the walking back & forth & stuff. My friend usually gets almost the same identical coords as I do with his 60-90 average job.....standing in one spot.

I've actually done it this way so often that it's pretty much a system now & it's become an easy process. However, it COULD be easier, with a GPS which can actually average like his.

That said, it's not so big of a deal that I'm inclined to spend 300 $$$ +/- on a 60CSX, Dakota20, or Oregon300 simply to get the averaging capability...that's ALL it would be used for. But I've noticed that several models of the Etrex line are considerably cheaper. Since I do hide alot of caches, I would probaly be willing to cough up less than 150 $$$ for that ability.

But I know nothing about the Etrex. So, those of you who use them for hiding, do they...or at least certain models...have this averaging capability in that line of GPS's?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, the eTrex units support this feature, and when you place a cache, you really DO want to use that averaging function to assure that your GPS is giving you as accurate a position as possible so you can in turn give that position to finders on your cache page.

I've found that it's best to make sure my GPS (all of my caches were placed with an eTrex Summit HC) has settled to as good an error reading as I'm going to get, and then start it averaging, set it down, and back away from it so I'm not blocking satellite coverage from one side. Once it's done its maximum 100 readings or whatever, I'm usually pretty confident in the results.

Edited by ecanderson

Almost. The Etrex H and the really old Etrex. (a.k.a. the yellow ones) DO NOT average coordinates!

GermanSailor

Ah - good point. Garmin is still selling that really basic $99 yellow eTrex H model, aren't they? Would swear I did see one in a display case somewhere not that long ago. Saw the bright yellow case and thought they were having a really killer fire sale on the eTrex Venture HC for a minute. The H has been around for so long, I keep imagining that they must have discontinued it.

Anyway, that would be the exception, but certainly worth noting.

Thanks a mil everyone. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I was already planning on getting one of the "Mid-Level" Etrex's....not an El-Cheapo, not the highest one. That will keep me away from those ones you say won't average & will also be plenty usable for a temporary "finder", if my Magellan ever poops out on the trail.

So you knew this was going to lead to Question #2 ...... :):shocked:

From cheapest to highest, after a very quick comparison, the list seems to be:

Venture HC (B&W?)

Venture CX

Legend (B&W)

Legend CX

Summit HC

Those are pretty much the mid-range of the Etrex prices. Anyone have experience....recommendations? I'm not terribly concerned about a color screen, since it's use will be limited. However, the difference between B&W and Color only seems to be a matter of 15 bucks or so in each model....so no sense NOT going ahead with the pretty one.

And of the 5 above, the Summit seems to be in a completely different price range than the others, by 50 $$$ or so. So most likely my choice would be the Venture or Legend CX....however, I can be swayed. ) :huh:

Thanks for help regardless. It exactly addressed my concerns.

P.S. "Ah - good point. Garmin is still selling that really basic $99 yellow eTrex H model, aren't they?"

Actually, in my quick scan to check the prices of the above mentioned ones, I found the H for as little as $80 new. Course you might have to pay shipping on that too. There was a regular "Etrex"..no H, no nothing...for as low as $65. And then there was a "Venture", without the H, HC, or CX, which I saw for as low as $70.

Now THAT'S shoestring budget caching.:laughing: :laughing:

Edited by astrodav

astrodav, doesn't your Magellan have a satellite screen to view real-life coordinates? If it does, I don't see why you couldn't just read the coords from there. That's what I did when I had a monochrome Etrex Vista and never received a complaint about bad coords. Some of those caches are still active with the original coord reading.

astrodav, doesn't your Magellan have a satellite screen to view real-life coordinates? If it does, I don't see why you couldn't just read the coords from there. That's what I did when I had a monochrome Etrex Vista and never received a complaint about bad coords. Some of those caches are still active with the original coord reading.

That works OK under ideal circumstances, but if you are in terrain where the EPE bites, it's far better to run a long average. I'm sure you've visited a site where your GPS wouldn't settle down quickly and you had to wait before you got a solid reading. It's sites like those that benefit greatly from averaging. Could be power lines overhead, could be up next to a bridge, could be under a lot of tree cover -- lots of possible places where it makes a difference.

Keep in mind that averaging doesn't always produce the results you want. Especially with today's high sensitivity units.

If you have poor signals and poor Satellite Geometry - all you are doing is averaging bad data.

If you have good signals and good sat geometry and low PDOP - then a singal reading will likely suffice. Averaging adds nothing

If you have so-so geometry and signal strength - then you might actually be getting a slightly better reading. Or not.

Averaging really only works if you return to the spot several times at random intervals over a week or so.

H stands for high sensitivity

C stands for Color

X stands for expandable: will take external memory cards. I have a vista HCX and am perfectly happy with it. If it crapped out tomorrow would not hesitate to pick up another as a replacement.

The legend is a step down and has everything except no barometric altimeter and no electronic compass. Features Ive never used and probably aren't worth paying for. But who knows?

You can average with the cheapest of yellow eTrex cheapos, but not in realtime.

Set the logging interval to 1 second; log as many fixes as you can; stop logging; download the fixes to a spreadsheet and do the averaging there. Unlike with realtime averaging, you will be able to identify any rogue fixes by inspection and reject them before recalculating the mean.