Where should the map open for the first time?

Shmaic

I suggested on contact@geo.. a little upgrade for all of us, who use the map, where searching for nearby caches. When you open the map, the default location, where it opens is Green Lake. I suppose that every one of you know the shapes of the lake already, but only few people who play Geocaching live there.

The suggestion is, that the map's default opening location would be your home coordinates - that would ease and speed up the search process.

What do you think about it? Please think about it and post the answer, so that Geocaching.com can make a real improvement. This upgrade would not take that long, because it's about implementing a few SQL lines when the map opens, and would spare a lot of time to us all.

What do you think about it?

If you use: http://www.geocaching.com/my/ as the starting page, the "Map it" picture has your home coordinates. I never even look at the original geocaching page.

GermanSailor

Well that is nice (and I did not know it:)), but why would the original geopage open at greenlake? 99% of Geocachers live elsewhere, so there is no use of opening the map at Green Lake all the time..

Well that is nice (and I did not know it:)), but why would the original geopage open at greenlake? 99% of Geocachers live elsewhere, so there is no use of opening the map at Green Lake all the time..

i am having difficulty figuring out which "original geopage" you are referring to and where that map is located, i always used the one on my home page like GermanSailor said

i am having difficulty figuring out which "original geopage" you are referring to and where that map is located, i always used the one on my home page like GermanSailor said

It shows if you click on "Or, search with Google Maps" on http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx

I agree, it would be nice if this map centered around your home location.

Additionally, sometimes there are problems if you change to "Satellite" view in the map on a cache page and it will go to the Green Lake. Of course, best would be if it would work correctly and not change location, but it would at least be better if it returned to your home location instead of Green Lake.

iller

Edited by iller

Strange, I have never really even thought about this. The only time I use the search function is when I want to find cached NOT near my home coordinates so I would not want this feature. Am I the only one who can just click the GO button under 'SEARCH FOR GEOCACHES' on the GC.com main page after logging in?

Although you're right, I think it wouldn't do any harm. The work with map would be rather more comfortable if it opened on the home coordinates.

This would not affect functionality but would improve the ergonomics.

Strange, I have never really even thought about this. The only time I use the search function is when I want to find cached NOT near my home coordinates so I would not want this feature. Am I the only one who can just click the GO button under 'SEARCH FOR GEOCACHES' on the GC.com main page after logging in?

I always start with a map centered around my home coordinates that I pan until I find caches I want to visit.

iller

I always start with a map centered around my home coordinates that I pan until I find caches I want to visit.

As do I. What I was getting at is that to start with the map centered at my home coordinates I do one of two things. I click on the 'Go...' button on the main page or I go to my profile page and click on the link for 'Search for nearest geocaches from your home coordinates'. So I never use the 'Hide & Seek A Cache ' to go to the map centered on my home coordinates.

I have no problem with what the OP is asking for (seems simple enough for them to implement), I was just trying to let him know there are alternatives that don't require any more mouse clicks than what he/she was asking for.

As do I. What I was getting at is that to start with the map centered at my home coordinates I do one of two things. I click on the 'Go...' button on the main page or I go to my profile page and click on the link for 'Search for nearest geocaches from your home coordinates'. So I never use the 'Hide & Seek A Cache ' to go to the map centered on my home coordinates.

I have no problem with what the OP is asking for (seems simple enough for them to implement), I was just trying to let him know there are alternatives that don't require any more mouse clicks than what he/she was asking for.

I agree. But for example for the newest members of gc it would be much easier if the map centered automatically at your home coordinates. nevertheless i believe there are much more important updates on the page, so sticking with this idea seems like a waste of time.

What would we loose if the implemented it? and would it be better for noob members? :(

What do you think about it?

If you use: http://www.geocaching.com/my/ as the starting page, the "Map it" picture has your home coordinates. I never even look at the original geocaching page.

GermanSailor

It opens at Green Lake because that is the home city of Groundspeak.

I also have same concern. And i opened a thread few weeks back but noone had a clue to resolve this. Now it seems Grounspeak have to resolve this. If a user is not logged in then it should open at the Green lake (or whatever that is). If a user is already logged in, then it should center at my home coordinates. I use this extensively and would like this to be resolved.

Leo

I also have same concern. And i opened a thread few weeks back but noone had a clue to resolve this. Now it seems Groundspeak have to resolve this. If a user is not logged in then it should open at the Green lake (or whatever that is). If a user is already logged in, then it should center at my home coordinates. I use this extensively and would like this to be resolved

Do you run Firefox and GreaseMonkey? I hate to sound like a GreaseMonkey salesman, but that is a very simple change in GreaseMonkey. For Groundspeak, it may be a little more involved, because other than the top of the page which displays your information, the rest of the page is static content, not dynamic. In any case, it takes some time (minimum : weeks) for Groundspeak to make changes, and about 2 minutes for you to do it yourself.

<_< What is a "geopage"? Can somebody please fill me in? I have no idea which geobutton to click on with my geomouse to go there.

Seriously... I have no idea where this default map is located. I never see it. Don't use it. The only maps I use are ones that come up from the search page, from a cache page, or from my profile page (which is based on my home coordinates)

Color me geoconfused.

Seriously... I have no idea where this default map is located. I never see it. Don't use it. The only maps I use are ones that come up from the search page, from a cache page, or from my profile page (which is based on my home coordinates)

Color me geoconfused.

knowsgeochad, I think it is time for the dog to change his glasses <_<

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/default.aspx

Click on "Search with Google Maps"

Will bring you here.

Edit : FWIW I never use it myself, which is why all my GreaseMonkey script work has gone into the My/Your Profile page instead. Have you checked out the latest changes? I added a little "x" to each of those little widget boxes so that you can close them and a cookie remembers which one not to show next time. I've also made the Field Notes box more useful.

Edited by Chrysalides