Postcode variation and 'exclude found'

bgma79

Is it me or have the UK postcodes moved about 3 miles west? and the 'Exclude your owned or found items from results' check box has no effect? the lack of the tick box makes life almost impossible if you have a cleared area around your base locale

Firefox and IE, Safari and chrome will not log me in!

I have no posted this on the 'tech forum' yet as I just wanted to check it was not me :unsure:

Edited by bgma79

It would appear that the postcode search only uses the first part of the postcode e.g. entering EX7 7ZZ, only the EX7 is used. Using several sample postcodes around my area produced various errors up to 2 miles in random directions.

As regards the 'Exclude your owned or found items from results' check box - this check box is enabled for Premium members, so unless your prepared to pay a subscription to Groundspeak, it will remain greyed out.

regards,

Paul

Its not greyed out! (Onthe 'adnaved search page' it has always been available up to now and the screen does not seem to have changed!

It would appear that the postcode search only uses the first part of the postcode e.g. entering EX7 7ZZ, only the EX7 is used. Using several sample postcodes around my area produced various errors up to 2 miles in random directions.

As regards the 'Exclude your owned or found items from results' check box - this check box is enabled for Premium members, so unless your prepared to pay a subscription to Groundspeak, it will remain greyed out.

regards,

Paul

Just been playing with this, and it works better if you do not input a space between the 2 parts of the Post code

eg type M309LJ and not M30 9LJ

I can confirm that the tick box does not work

The queries I run regularly are based on a GC code rather than a postcode - around where I live the caches I haven't found form a donut shape (perhaps unsurprisingly) so I shift the centre around a little to get the ones I want.

I haven't had caches I've found coming through in my PQs, perhaps using GC codes as a centre will work for you?

Just been playing with this, and it works better if you do not input a space between the 2 parts of the Post code

eg type M309LJ and not M30 9LJ

I can confirm that the tick box does not work

Thanks for that, I'll try it. My postcode always put me about 2.5 miles west - now I've shot up 4 miles north west. :lol:

I haven't had a good play around with the postcode search for months...

Here are the results from the south Wales jury:

Using our full postcode without the space between the two part = Gives our home location within half a mile accuracy.

Using only the first 5 (or 6) letters/number with the space between the two parts = Exactly the same as above.

BUT

Using our full postcode with the space between the two parts = Places our home location in a field two miles east of here, containing expectant sheep and a few standing stones.

Conclusion: Using the full postcode brings the unquantifiable "leyline anomaly" into play.

MrsB :lol:

p.s. What does "Dadgum" mean and what is its derivation?

It means exactly the same thing as the word Groundspeak are using it to replace..... a little like frack (for any BG fans out there) came to mean exactly the same thing it was used to replace.

One day, when forum software has run amok, there'll only be one word left in the english language that someone, somewhere, doesn't think is a swear word.... B)

Edited by keehotee