GSAK on WineBottler

BisonWoman

I've been trying gsak in crossover, which is another wine implementation, and while it runs, has a few too many crashes and such to be better than using it in vmware fusion or the like. I don't know if winebottler will be an improvement.

GSAK runs under Winebottler and man it's snappy fast. Sure seems faster than running under Fusion/Win7 although some features aren't there in terms of usability (no drag+drop of gpx into the app). I haven't quite figured out how to do a beta upgrade of GSAK from therein in order to run the most recent version of some challenge cache macros, but it definitely works for me on an original white MacBook under Snow Leopard.

I have gotten it to run on it but, I cannot export to GPS. Any ideas on how to do that?

Would need to know what GPS you own. On the chance that it's a recent Garmin, and on the chance that it's the 'GSAK native' attempts to hit the USB hooks that are failing, instead of using "Send to GPS", try "File" "Export" to a gpx file with the same parameters as you'd use for the GPS, then copy the file to the unit's Garmin/GPX directory.

I have gsak running in winebottler, and yes, it works fine. As long as you don't need too many extended features. All I use it for is compiling a pile of gpx files into one big gpx, which I then export as a large gpx file to my desktop, where I load it onto my oregon. The direct usb connection doesn't work, at least the way I have it set up - there are all sorts of device libraries you can add to winebottler when setting it up, but the default set doesn't seem to support usb to garmins. It also crashes if I've got anything running in my optical drive.

Several of the newer features of gsak won't work in winebottler as far as I can tell. I reverted back to using version 7.7.4 in winebottler, and just using it as a basic database program.

Could you tell me some examples with which features that didn't work for you in GSAK 8?

It's been a while, but basically the whole connecting directly with geocaching.com part didn't work, or I couldn't figure out how to make it work. Everything else worked, and I could have kept using it, but I've paid for the earlier version, but not the newer one, so I downgraded to 7.7.4.

It's been a while, but basically the whole connecting directly with geocaching.com part didn't work, or I couldn't figure out how to make it work. Everything else worked, and I could have kept using it, but I've paid for the earlier version, but not the newer one, so I downgraded to 7.7.4.

Oh I see. :)

Crossover has the same problem authorising the API. However one way to get round this is to restore GSAK in Crossover from a backup that already has the authorisation token.

Just what I was about to try before you wrote it. And it works like a charm. :)

Crossover has the same problem authorising the API. However one way to get round this is to restore GSAK in Crossover from a backup that already has the authorisation token.

I used your tutorial but I cannot get it past step four accessing geocaching.com, this is with gsak8, any ideas?

I used your tutorial but I cannot get it past step four accessing geocaching.com, this is with gsak8, any ideas?

There is a forum over on the GSAK board for macs. (click here) A number of users are using GSAK version 8 on macs. You might ask over there.