Should I buy a new GPS or use my phone?

mahgnillig

Hi all ;)

I've been out of the geocaching loop for a while because my GPS stopped working and I haven't got around to buying a new one. I'm now looking to get back into it, and wondering what I should do.

I used to have a Garmin eTrex Legend and used a PDA along with it for paperless caching. I used GSAK to download .gpx queries to both devices and Cachemate on the PDA. Now I don't have either device. What I do have is a Samsung Behold 2 phone running Android on the T-Mobile network.

I've been reading up a little bit about caching with a phone and just downloaded Geobeagle. However, when I go geocaching it's usually out in the wilderness away from things like roads and cell phone reception. So my question really is: is the phone going to cut it out of town, or do I really need to get myself a dedicated GPS for the purpose?

My next question is (assuming I need a new GPS): given a budget of around $300 at REI (got some gift cards to use), which GPS would you choose? I don't have any particular need for turn by turn navigation (car has this built in); topo maps would be handy as it's mountain/desert country where I live; and I would like to also be able to use the GPS for caching in Europe.

Any help would really be appreciated :)

Edited by mahgnillig

Hey,

I just started Geocaching and have only been using my Iphone. What I have found is that it burns through the battery in a big hurry and once you hit the trees it loses the signal easily. But on the flip side I love it in the urban area and I always have it with me so I can Geocache on a whim. Having said all that I am going to purchase a GPS, probably a Garmin Oregon 400T, but then again I change my mind about 10 times a day on what to get based on the latest review I read:-)

You can use just your phone -- using geobeagle, georg, cachemate or others -- but it will burn through the battery faster so if you're doing a lot of caching you'll want to be able to plug in periodically in the cachemobile.

I have an android phone too and use it for an occasional find but still prefer a standalone gps for more "hardcore" caching days. It's really a matter of opinion. Since you already have the android phone I would recommend trying out some of the apps to see if there's one you like. If that works for you, stick with it. If not, get a standalone gps and use the android as a backup and for paperless info.

Hi all :rolleyes:

I've been out of the geocaching loop for a while because my GPS stopped working and I haven't got around to buying a new one. I'm now looking to get back into it, and wondering what I should do.

I used to have a Garmin eTrex Legend and used a PDA along with it for paperless caching. I used GSAK to download .gpx queries to both devices and Cachemate on the PDA. Now I don't have either device. What I do have is a Samsung Behold 2 phone running Android on the T-Mobile network.

I've been reading up a little bit about caching with a phone and just downloaded Geobeagle. However, when I go geocaching it's usually out in the wilderness away from things like roads and cell phone reception. So my question really is: is the phone going to cut it out of town, or do I really need to get myself a dedicated GPS for the purpose?

My next question is (assuming I need a new GPS): given a budget of around $300 at REI (got some gift cards to use), which GPS would you choose? I don't have any particular need for turn by turn navigation (car has this built in); topo maps would be handy as it's mountain/desert country where I live; and I would like to also be able to use the GPS for caching in Europe.

Any help would really be appreciated :anibad:

I'd like to suggest that you take a look at the Garmin Vista HCx ($299 suggested retail). I will run up to 25 hours on a fresh set of batteries (although, NiMH batteries will only run the unit for about 20 hours) and it has an expandable memory capability that will allow you to use up to a 4GB microSD card for maps. As far as maps go, you can go to the following website and download as much as you want for FREE:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

Specific maps for your area are as follows:

Nevada:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/86/

Arizona:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/1/

California:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28/

These topo maps can be quite detailed and will eat up a lot of memory, so I would recommend getting at least a 2GB microSD card. I love my Vista HCx and I wouldn't go caching without it. :D

Edited by rocketsteve