Undocumented Gecaching Find

JAPerson34

My wife and I go hiking a lot, but never Geocaching. About a month ago while walking a trail, we found a red Folgers coffee container with an Official Geocaching sticker on it. We opened it up and there was 2 Haircuttery banners inside, nothing else. We put the banners back in the container and put the container where we believed it was supposed to be. We decided that Geocaching would be some added fun to go along with our hiking. So here I am looking at the map where we were, but this particular find is not on the map.

Even though I am not the original owner of this geocaching container, can I add a log to this container and document it's location on this site?

Welcome to the game!!

You can certainly add a log if you like, but it sounds to me like maybe the Cache had been plundered, and the pirates took everything except what you found, and discarded the remains? It doesn't sound typical of what you's expect to find in a Cache.

As far as listing the location on the website, I wouldn't do it with just the things you found plus a logbook. A cache should be of higher quality than that, and the items you found may still be considered to belong to someone. If you like the location however, and hiding a Cache there fits within the guidelines then if should be fine for you to create a new Cache and hide it there. I often recommend getting about 100 finds experience before hiding a Cache, so a player can see what works and what doesn't in hiding Caches.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

At this point then I don't plan on doing anything with the cache or location. However I am confussed with your suggestion of me using the location if i like. If I did that, what would I do with the cache that is already there?

I'm going on an assumption that what you found is not a Cache in the place it's supposed to be. It sounds to me like one that has been plundered and discarded elsewhere, but then again, it could be a stage in a puzzle or a Multi-Cache(where you follow a trail of clues and gather info to determine the final location). Do you remember if there was any contact info on the sticker?

Could you describe roughly where the cache container was located? Its also possible this particular cache has been archived which will not show up on a map. A fellow cacher may recognize this area if you post that info. Welcome to the game. My favorite cache types are the ones that require a lengthy hike into the woods. I think you will find this activity enhancing your love of the outdoors even further.

Picture of found geocache container with assumed hiding location in back ground. This is how and where I found it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41343573@N02/4280128354/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41343573@N02/4280128830/

Contents of geocache container. No log included.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41343573@N02/4280129272/

Where geocache container was placed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41343573@N02/4280129544/

Sabal Point Wildlife Sanctuary/Wekiva River Buffer Conservation Area

Longwood, Florida

N 28 43.369

W 081 24.390

When I recheck the coordinates, I was off by 3 (W 081 24.393)

No name or any other info is on the label.

Edited by JAPerson34

Looking more closely at the "Banners" I see they are also a Coupon, so it might be an item that someone would place in a Cache.

Looked at the nearby Caches to that location, and nothing looks related. It could be a number or reasons...

An archived Cache that was never removed?

A test hide to see id the location works for the container?

A Cache that was never published?

A Cache that was stolen from elsewhere, and then discarded?

Part of a Multi/Puzzle?

Any way around, replacing it in that spot was probably the best way to handle it, until it can be determined for sure that it's no longer part of the game and needs to be removed(Not good to have trash out there with out name plastered all over it. Thanks for the help, and welcome to the game. For what it's worth, that's not the best type of container to use for a Cache, especially in the moist/wet climate of the area.

Here's a thought? If you place a note inside, and maybe a logbook, you may see some kind of reply if it's curently part of the game. If it is part of a Multi Stage Cache, then maybe some finders will contact you and confirm that, or write a note in the book. I don't think it would hurt, if you're in the area sometimes and could look back to check.

OK...Looking on the map...It looks like there is a Multi Stage Cache that starts at that trailhead...Most likely situation. You can send a note to the owners of that Cache and ask, or also the other two Cachers who own Caches on that trail...

Owners of the Multi Cache...

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=87...f4ae6d&ds=2

Owners of four other Caches along the trail...

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ff...21-f3733d62f4e1

Owner of one other Cache along the trail...

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=0b...f9-3896c1d2b89b

You may also try going on a hunt for all of these Caches along the trail, and see if you can pick up any clues. You might find that the Multi takes you right there. It's not uncommon for the containers to change after the original description.

It could also be the remnants of this one...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2b-b15333d7d246

Maybe try following those directions to your tree? Sometimes a container gets left behind after a Cache is archived, or sometimes it may be stolen, and then archived, and then replaced or discarded in the original location by the thieves/muggles

I agree with you. I too think you found what was left of GCR29V Sabal Point Sanctuary. Your listed coordinates are extremely close to that caches coordinates. In my opinion well within the margin of error for a cache hide. Here is a quote from one of the first logs of that cache (Anyway, this cache should be called the Huge Tree, or Humongous Tree. Or something like that. Man - that tree is massive!) I can't tell for sure from your picture but it seems like that tree with a hole in the middle where you replaced the cache would be a big one. One of the more recent logs talks about a hole in the lid. Was there a hole in the lid? It appears that all the contents were soaked. Its possible all the wet contents were cleared out and those coupons were what was left. I will be curious to see if the cache owner can verify your find. Either way what a great way to stumble into the geocaching game.

A letter from the owner of GCR29V:

Interesting,

The coords you posted are real close to a cache of ours.

But that container I've never seen before. I wonder if

someone put it out there to fix one of mine that somehow

ended up with a hole in the lid and hasn't logged it yet. I

temp disabled mine in mid December. Waiting for a little

warmer weather to go check on it. Ours at that location

was a pretty good sized tupperware container. Not what

appears to be a coffee container. I tried one of those once

they don't work very long around here.

Anyway... thanks

Bob

The container I found looked like it was chewed on a bit, most likely by a raccoon. So if this is a new container that someone took upon themselves to replace, it itself already needs replacing. If not, that leaves me back to square one.

A letter from the owner of GCR29V:

Interesting,

The coords you posted are real close to a cache of ours.

But that container I've never seen before. I wonder if

someone put it out there to fix one of mine that somehow

ended up with a hole in the lid and hasn't logged it yet. I

temp disabled mine in mid December. Waiting for a little

warmer weather to go check on it. Ours at that location

was a pretty good sized tupperware container. Not what

appears to be a coffee container. I tried one of those once

they don't work very long around here.

Anyway... thanks

Bob

The container I found looked like it was chewed on a bit, most likely by a raccoon. So if this is a new container that someone took upon themselves to replace, it itself already needs replacing. If not, that leaves me back to square one.

It is possible that someone saw original container had a hole and tried to replace it with the Folger's container. Another possibility is that someone placed it and it was turned down due to its close proximity to the current cache, and has yet to pick up the container.

Another possibility is that it is listed on another geocaching website (there are several others), but the fact that it had a geocaching.com sticker makes that unlikely.