oregon vs dakota

Looking to buy a new gps.. Cant decide which one of the 2 would be more fitting..Oregon 400t or the Dakota20. This something is I would be using for caching mainly.

Thanks to all who reply

Depends upon your caching style, but I would avoid the extra cost of the 't' model if you go with the Oregon. Free topo maps are too easy to find at gpsfiledepot.com. I DO like my 3-axis compass on my new Dakota 20, and you'd need to step up to a more recent Oregon to get that. Whether the compass matters at all to you depends upon your preferred style when in the field. I use the heck out of my mag compass, and the 3-axis is a lot nicer to work with. Depending upon where I'm caching, I'm lucky to hold onto the thing, much less hold it level!

I am also looking for a new gps unit. I am comparing the Dakota 20 and the Oregon 300.

When reading various websites, it seemed that the main beef about the Oregon was that the screen was hard to see in bright light. Is this not your experience???

I know that according to the specs, the oregon has the higher screen resolution, and the Dakota has the 3 axis compensated compass.

Which in your opinion is the more needed ???

I am also looking for a new gps unit. I am comparing the Dakota 20 and the Oregon 300.

When reading various websites, it seemed that the main beef about the Oregon was that the screen was hard to see in bright light. Is this not your experience???

I know that according to the specs, the oregon has the higher screen resolution, and the Dakota has the 3 axis compensated compass.

Which in your opinion is the more needed ???

I know your not considering this model but I don't miss the compass when I use my Oregon 200 and I think I'd miss the higher resolution if I had the choice. But the smaller package of the Dakota certainly has it's endearing qualities especially where weight is important (i.e. climbing and ultralight hiking). I wouldn't buy any of the "T" models because they're the 1:100k maps not the 7.5 min 1:24k maps (which you can get for free from gpsfiledepot.com and are MUCH more accurate when hiking). Long story short buy the one with the best price of the Oregon and Dakota series.

If you really want to save money and only compromise on the touch screen you might want to look at the Colorado series, especially the 400's; I bought one for $239 and I really love it. Get one in your hands and try it. I doubt you'll leave the store without one at that price. (http://www.rocketcamera.com/garmin-colorado-400i.html, http://www.rocketcamera.com/gps/garmin-gps...regon-300.html). Hope this helps.

Be safe.

N