will there be a decent winmobile app?

tsolt

Well, I was going to comment on how WM phones will be taking off soon with the HTC HD2 being released, 1 GHz processor, 512 ROM and RAM, and miniSD card, windows mobile 6.5.3, especially with it coming to America soon with both a CMDA and a GMS verison from what I have been reading, but that seems like it has been covered.

If you guys haven't seen Windows Mobile 6.5.3 you need too, because I have hacked my HTC Touch Diamond and I'm currently running WM 6.5.3 with HTC Sense 2.5 and it just plain amazing the difference it made. All my contact are synced automatically for free along with all my text msgs, documents, appointment, photo/videos, the location of my phone, and the list goes on,. The photos that display when someone calls me are their actual facebook photos and updates on my phone every two hours with their stats, new posts, and whatever they are doing on there. The weather app is quite cool, screen snows when it is snow out, rains when it is raining out, sunny - sunny out, etc and the best part it is that the phone updates the weather to my current GPS location every hour, half-hour, or whatever I set it to.

My point is don't count the Window Mobile phones out, instead focus on bring the app with every feature that TOM has built into his app to the big three OS, Windows Mobile, Android, and IPhone. Once done with that bring even more cell OS into the circle.

Well, I was going to comment on how WM phones will be taking off soon with the HTC HD2 being released, 1 GHz processor, 512 ROM and RAM, and miniSD card, windows mobile 6.5.3, especially with it coming to America soon with both a CMDA and a GMS verison from what I have been reading, but that seems like it has been covered.

If you guys haven't seen Windows Mobile 6.5.3 you need too, because I have hacked my HTC Touch Diamond and I'm currently running WM 6.5.3 with HTC Sense 2.5 and it just plain amazing the difference it made. All my contact are synced automatically for free along with all my text msgs, documents, appointment, photo/videos, the location of my phone, and the list goes on,. The photos that display when someone calls me are their actual facebook photos and updates on my phone every two hours with their stats, new posts, and whatever they are doing on there. The weather app is quite cool, screen snows when it is snow out, rains when it is raining out, sunny - sunny out, etc and the best part it is that the phone updates the weather to my current GPS location every hour, half-hour, or whatever I set it to.

My point is don't count the Window Mobile phones out, instead focus on bring the app with every feature that TOM has built into his app to the big three OS, Windows Mobile, Android, and IPhone. Once done with that bring even more cell OS into the circle.

Turns out Symbient is by far the most popular Smart Phone OS. Probly because Nokia is the most popular phone. Other than that, I aggree with your post 100%

Just a quick update, I actually picked up a 3gs this past week, just because i could and I've been wanting to explore that platform.

After using Groundspeak's official geocaching app, I do find it lacking in a few ways. Trackable/inventory management is non existent and pretty much a pain in the butt to do.

Not being able to multitask really sucks as whenever i exit the app, I have to start over upon return. It would be nice if you could quickly pull up the last cache result list without having to do another search, or have the app return to exactly how it was before it was exited.

Also, Tom's app has way better search/filter functionality. Another cool thing, with Tom's app I could enable/disable my own cache from right on the spot. I actually had to do this a couple of times and it was very handy.

All in all Tom's app is definitely superior, and I much prefer to use it over the official app. Hopefully GS and Tom can get a long, while applying some of the functionality to their own app.

turns out 5 people in my callcenter use toms app . and its toms app that got em started ... hmmmm

but still cant get a answer through official channels about API access . FAIL !

For the record, Tom's application is functioning properly again, so pitchforks down please!

I hope the discussion between Groundspeak and Tom works out well for all of us.

Oh, and Windows Mobile web browsing doubled again in January, passing Android handsets -- we have ourselves the making of a trend, rather than a blip.

That and Garmin's newest Nuvifone GPS is running Windows Mobile 6.5.3 - that will hopefully translate into increased demand for a live data Windows Mobile application.

I quit Geocaching and cancelled my premium membership when I got my Windows mobile phone. I stopped carying around a dedicated mobile GPS, since my car has one and my phone has another. I tried to find a good sollution for a while, using Pocket queries and 3 seperate peices of software to hunt a cache, but it was just too much work and no fun.

Then yesterday I stumbled upon the app "that shall not be mentioned" and WOW!

I was back! There are many member only caches in my area, so I was gonna reactivate my Premium membership, when I found this thread. Hmmm...

I am still gonna upgrade to premium membership for the reason mentioned above (monthly), but when that app quits working I will cancel. That app is the only thing that makes geocaching fun enough and easy enough to make it worthwhile.

I still want a answer to the original question { will there be a decent winmobile app?} with a twist .. one thats "legal"

Don't think your gonna get an answer to that.

In the meantime, I can't see how GC can detect that your using a certain mobile app instead of a regular browser, so AFAIK, it's kind of "risk free".

I quit Geocaching and cancelled my premium membership when I got my Windows mobile phone. I stopped carying around a dedicated mobile GPS, since my car has one and my phone has another. I tried to find a good sollution for a while, using Pocket queries and 3 seperate peices of software to hunt a cache, but it was just too much work and no fun.

Then yesterday I stumbled upon the app "that shall not be mentioned" and WOW!

I was back! There are many member only caches in my area, so I was gonna reactivate my Premium membership, when I found this thread. Hmmm...

I am still gonna upgrade to premium membership for the reason mentioned above (monthly), but when that app quits working I will cancel. That app is the only thing that makes geocaching fun enough and easy enough to make it worthwhile.

Have to aggree with you on that. I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to caching. I cache when the opertunity presents itself. Like today, my dauters piano class was cancled (for Family Day here in Alberta), so pulled up the list of close caches, looked for a regular size (don't like small caches in 8" of snow), and off we went for a cache. If I had had to have a PQ or whatever, I just wouldn't have gotten out.

Hopefully with the advent of Windows Mobile 7 and it's "Flashy" UI, it'll get some more attention.

Something to note is that it *appears* that Windows Mobile 7 will have backward compatibility to earlier versions, so [-----] will be able to run on WM7 as well, and hopefully Groundspeak will target Windows Mobile 6 series.

A primary complaint that Jeremy had against WM development was the lack of an "app store" when I was bugging him last year about this. The Marketplace for Mobile will *finally* be fixed (announced by Microsoft at MWC) - listing the app in additional marketplaces will be free and people in other countries can shop in the USA Marketplace - should hit later this month. That's a major incentive for Groundspeak to get back in the Windows Mobile game -- I would love to see a Geocaching app, and also see the Wherigo Player appear in the Mobile Marketplace

Jeremy, take another look - you may be pleasantly surprised. Microsoft has listened to it's customers and developers alike.

Hopefully with the advent of Windows Mobile 7 and it's "Flashy" UI, it'll get some more attention.

Microsoft has listened to it's customers and developers alike.

Have they added the option to install to memory card also, not only internal memory?

I have abandoned market place, as my HD2 has a very small amount of internal memory, but can read SD cards way above 8GB.

Have they added the option to install to memory card also, not only internal memory?

I have abandoned market place, as my HD2 has a very small amount of internal memory, but can read SD cards way above 8GB.

Yes install to MicroSD has been added. Here's a link to the changes

Yihppi! :-)

thanx, mate;-)

Yihppi! :-)

thanx, mate;-)

I was looking there, and all the apps seem to be duplicates of other apps that are free.

I'm a Premium GC-member.

I'm not happy how GC is handling the situation with the Windows-Mobile-Platform.

I can't understand that only IPhone and Nokia phones are supported.

I have no idea why GC would ban a programm and is not offering any alternatives.

I believe that caching with smartphones is the future.

I confess that I used the program of "you know who" and I admit that I liked it.

I don't feel ashamed for what I did and I probably would do it again.

I believe in the freedom of speech.

I don't know why GC can't make a deal with Tom Hiro to make the whole thing legal.

I'm hoping that GC will act a bit more tolerant and listen to their members, who -so far- paid their yearly membership-fee, because they thought they supported a great sport/hobby and an organization "of Geocachers for Geocachers".

+1

+2

+3.

If this is a US based organisation.. A law suit usually can create some interests + changes. Just some bizarre accusations like "Obscured Monopoly against Microsoft" or some sort.... U know what I mean.

+4

+5

+6

I was looking there, and all the apps seem to be duplicates of other apps that are free.

They haven't flipped the switch yet - the Canadian marketplace is still tiny at the moment. I know there's a lot more in the games section - and that I can't buy Ivy the Kiwi yet. Believe me, I've tried.

I would love to see Cachemate, and [------] show up in the Windows Marketplace.... and maybe someday an *official* Groundspeak application.

Hi guys,

I'm a grad student studying computer science and for one of my classes we are supposed to build a mobile app. Right now we are in the design process, so I thought this might be a good place to ask:

What type of features would you like to see in an app?

Obviously it has to have the basic feature of showing different caches on the map and allowing you to use the phone's GPS to guide you to the cache... but what else would you want?

Some ideas I had were:

Showing the path (by recording the GPS points) you took on your trip

Allowing users to add photos and comments to each cache

What else should we include?

-Sam

Hi guys,

I'm a grad student studying computer science and for one of my classes we are supposed to build a mobile app. Right now we are in the design process, so I thought this might be a good place to ask:

Obviously it has to have the basic feature of showing different caches on the map and allowing you to use the phone's GPS to guide you to the cache... but what else would you want?

Some ideas I had were:

-Sam

If you add the ability to create a waypoint, associate photos with it and associate notes (logs) then you'll also have a Waymarking application.... there's nothing that I know of in that space. Also make sure the UI is very touch friendly - using a finger, as that's the way the newer Windows Phone UIs are trending. Make sure you detect the screen resolution and handle times the soft-keyboard appears or is requested. Current PQ based Geocaching apps have a habit of losing half their UI when you pull up the keyboard to actually type something.

Export PQ database subset to Google Maps on board would be great. Obviously dumping 2000 caches to Google Maps would overwhelm a Windows Phone but showing nearest 25 caches should be easy enough on the unit.

If you're not building a 'live data' version - make sure the program outputs GC.com compatible Field Notes, and consider making some sort of method to get the log data over to GSAK or you'll launch with a bunch of people requesting that functionality.

In the silly but fun department:

Twitter/Social Networks integration would be neat add-on (esp using the geolocation api -- ie 'watch' your friends and have the geocaching app warn when a caching buddy checks into Twitter nearby).

Hi guys,

Some ideas I had were:

-Sam

If you add the ability to create a waypoint, associate photos with it and associate notes (logs) then you'll also have a Waymarking application.... there's nothing that I know of in that space. Also make sure the UI is very touch friendly - using a finger, as that's the way the newer Windows Phone UIs are trending. Make sure you detect the screen resolution and handle times the soft-keyboard appears or is requested. Current PQ based Geocaching apps have a habit of losing half their UI when you pull up the keyboard to actually type something.

Export PQ database subset to Google Maps on board would be great. Obviously dumping 2000 caches to Google Maps would overwhelm a Windows Phone but showing nearest 25 caches should be easy enough on the unit.

If you're not building a 'live data' version - make sure the program outputs GC.com compatible Field Notes, and consider making some sort of method to get the log data over to GSAK or you'll launch with a bunch of people requesting that functionality.

In the silly but fun department:

Twitter/Social Networks integration would be neat add-on (esp using the geolocation api -- ie 'watch' your friends and have the geocaching app warn when a caching buddy checks into Twitter nearby).

Can't you acctualy use twitter to log finds now?

As for the market place, I was looking for GPS software. There was some decent looking stuff for $3, but there is better stuff available on the net for free. There are already large repositories of free windows mobile apps, so this realy seems redundent.

Can't you acctualy use twitter to log finds now?

Not in Canada. Actually, not outside the United States. Twitter integration with Groundspeak is based on the Textmarks service, which is USA only. Also assumes you know the GC code of the cache you're standing at vs location based search that we get from PQ based app (or live data)

I can use [----] with Twitter but that's not what I was talking about, I was suggesting that functionality like Google Latitude could be implemented by using social network APIs. Filed under would be cool but not *required* functionality.

As for the market place, I was looking for GPS software. There was some decent looking stuff for $3, but there is better stuff available on the net for free. There are already large repositories of free windows mobile apps, so this realy seems redundent.

The point of Windows Marketplace for mobile is that it is preloaded on all the operator handsets, like Apple's store and the Android Market. Yes, I know that I can get applications from Handango, PocketGear, OpnMarket, ppcfreeware, XDA Developers, PPC Geeks, NICQUE, my own website, etc etc etc. The Marketplace isn't aimed at the people that frequent those sites, it's aimed at the other 80% of Smartphone customers that aren't familiar with .CAB files and the like. Like it or not, we need the sheeple to be able to buy apps without having to know about going to install a marketplace first.

There are 1245 apps in the Windows Marketplace for Mobile -- total, that's all countries, all carriers. But the platform has been available for a mere four months. Give it time to ramp up before we declare it a failure. It's also about giving the developers an option to list it in one spot and have it available to all Windows Mobile handsets, everywhere vs setting up your account at ten different mobile marketplaces. Yes, a person with a Windows Mobile 5/6.0/6.1 phone has to download Marketplace. Starting at WM6.5 and beyond it's built into the ROM and the carrier is not permitted to remove that.

Thanks for the feedback. If anyone else thinks of cool features they wish were available or features they love (from an existing app) please let me know.

I know it seems redundant to build yet another geocaching app, but this is for fun/class - so any suggestions are very much appreciated.

The biggest thing that people seem to want is the ability to search from the GCzII data base the same whay that GCzII searches from GS. That would realy be the ultimate off-line mode! Oh, and a little icon on the cache list screen indicating which chaches have inventory. Maybe a better sorting engine. To be able to sort by atribute, difficulty or even key word in the description, maybe by recent logs (kind of like GSAK's 2 DNF filter)

I have been using "the application that can't be named" and love it. I was searching this forum to make sure other cachers knew of it and then I found this. I don't understand. WinMo has been around forever and used for paperless caching for just as long. They had GPS built in their devices before the iPhone existed(?) and is used by a large percentage of geocachers. I thought Groundspeak would support the use of this rather than having us print out paper that is both bad for the environment and totally redundant these days. Is Groundspeak a not for profit organisation or a business? or are they Stalin's Russia reinvented? I can't beleive that while Google are giving away (read free) phone OS's and APIs for their applications, Groundspeak refuse to budge on this. Seriously, WinMo devices numbers aren't going to dwindle away and are the perfect device for the task.

This is madness.

So is there a status to the talks with Tom? Or is the subject gonna die because it's working again...

I'm also waiting for quite a while now for an official status. On Jan 21 Bryan (Groundspeak's legal counsel) posted in this forum that he "soon" will discuss options with the application developer (which must be Tom Hiro?!). Since than... nothing !!!

Do I have to take this as a sign, that GC is not interested in finding an official solution? Was this statement just "hot air"?

Groundspeak just sent me a reminder to renew my Premium Membership, but I'm really undecided what to do...

I'm also waiting for quite a while now for an official status. On Jan 21 Bryan (Groundspeak's legal counsel) posted in this forum that he "soon" will discuss options with the application developer (which must be Tom Hiro?!). Since than... nothing !!!

He also said that there wouldn't be any more comments from them here either.

He also said that there wouldn't be any more comments from them here either.

Hmmmm, where does he say this? Here is his post (#95):

I am Groundpeak's legal counsel and I am responsible for protecting Groundspeak intellectual property (Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents) as well as enforcing the Terms of Use Agreement.

The GZCII application is using Groundspeak's registered Trademarks and other intellectual property without consent. The GCZII application is an automated tool that scrapes data from the geocaching.com website without authorization in violation of the Geocaching.com Terms of Use Agreement.

At this point, the application developer and I will be meeting shortly to discuss options. Until the issues are resolved between Groundspeak and this developer, we have no interest in allowing the application to be promoted in the Groundspeak discussion forums and we will not be issuing further comments regarding this application.

I see, that GC won't be issuing further comments regarding this application. From my point of view this doesn't mean, that we'll stay uniformed forever about the subject itself and a possible solution. But then - I'm not a native speaker...

But if we won't get any information about this in a thread that is dealing with this subject, where would we get the news? Frontpage Groundspeak??? I'm very interested to know!!!

I just came across this post made by a moderator in reference to GCzII:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4238519

It don't know what "proggy" means. But that application is now authorized. It wasn't previously.

You should check with the application developer for assistance though.

Is it true? :lol:

1) I've heard "Proggy" a few times from our branch office in Glasgow, Scotland.

2) If this is actually true, and GCzII has become an authorized application then I am one happy customer. I'm a little skeptical though, because the authorized apps are usually listed here ... and I don't see anything about GCzII on that page.

I understand, that GC won't promote Tom Hiro's application on their frontpage :D

But I also see that GC is willing to move forward!!! I understand the verification from MM in the way, that GC is willing to listen to their members and willing to find some common ground. That's all I wanted to know for the moment and I will renew my premium membership today!!!

Thanks xhozt for bringing up this subject. Thanks all the people who supported this thread with their opinions and their suggestions. Thanks Tom Hiro for his fantastic Geocache application for the WinMo-platform. And thanks Groundspeak for showing the ability to listen and to find some compromise!!!

It would be more precise to say that discussions of this application are now permitted in the Groundspeak Forums. Posts must comply with the forum guidelines. Consistent with that, I've removed an unauthorized solicitation from the OP.

This reads to me that GCzII is NOT an authorized application for use with Geocaching.com. It reads simply that they're not going to spend their time removing references to it from the forums. The whole censoring the name of the application was a silly side show in this thread anyway.

So the battle is won, but the journey is far from complete. GCzII is still a program that only supports live data use by scraping, not via API and thus it will break whenever the site is updated - and GC.com will still consider it's use to be a violation of the TOS (when used with data Over The Air).

It seems we've been celebrating a cooperation with Tom and GC a bit too early. Obviously GC made some changes on their website and Tom's app is down at the moment. So I don't think that GC really made a working deal with Tom - maybe they just tolerate it, when Tom's programm is using their website, but it doesn't seem that GC is cooperating with Tom to keep his programm running for us WinMo-folks, otherwise the programm wouldn't be down...

Did I renew my PM too early?

It seems we've been celebrating a cooperation with Tom and GC a bit too early. Obviously GC made some changes on their website and Tom's app is down at the moment. So I don't think that GC really made a working deal with Tom - maybe they just tolerate it, when Tom's programm is using their website, but it doesn't seem that GC is cooperating with Tom to keep his programm running for us WinMo-folks, otherwise the programm wouldn't be down...

Did I renew my PM too early?

I think the "agreement" was a bit of wishful thinking ,when reading between the lines.

Yes GCz has the "cache not found" error again,after the latest GC.com update.Not sure whether that was intentional on their part or not.