A bit confused about Map options

Zigsooie

I have been researching my options in purchasing a new GPS unit. I think my Garmin Nuvi205 car unit is just a bit too cumbersome. I have been researching the usual suspects when it comes to GPS units. eg. Lowrance line, and particularly the Delorme PN-40 and Garmin Oregon.

Much of my confusion is related to the software and map options for the GPS units:

I often hear that one of the strongest features of the delorme series is the quality of the maps and the ability to add new ones. How does that compare with the Garmin? Are you stuck with the maps that you purchase with the GPS? I know you can buy some but the website had them listed in the 100$ range, but are there not any free map options? I noticed that the delorme comes with the TOPO usa software to add some functionality. Does that software or any other software work for the Garmin as well?

Im a mac user and wouldn't want to have to use bootcamp all of the time to plan routes. Is there similar software that can work for the mac as well?

In my mind it's between the Garmin and the Delorme. I really like the Garmin oregon with it's interface and features, but i'm worried about my options with maps and route planning. Most of this isn't directly related to the geocaching thing, but i want a gps for hiking and camping as well. Anyone who can help clear up my confusion regarding maps would be doing me a huge favor. Cheers from a new Geocacher addict. ;)

I have been researching my options in purchasing a new GPS unit. I think my Garmin Nuvi205 car unit is just a bit too cumbersome. I have been researching the usual suspects when it comes to GPS units. eg. Lowrance line, and particularly the Delorme PN-40 and Garmin Oregon.

Much of my confusion is related to the software and map options for the GPS units:

I often hear that one of the strongest features of the delorme series is the quality of the maps and the ability to add new ones. How does that compare with the Garmin? Are you stuck with the maps that you purchase with the GPS? I know you can buy some but the website had them listed in the 100$ range, but are there not any free map options? I noticed that the delorme comes with the TOPO usa software to add some functionality. Does that software or any other software work for the Garmin as well?

Im a mac user and wouldn't want to have to use bootcamp all of the time to plan routes. Is there similar software that can work for the mac as well?

In my mind it's between the Garmin and the Delorme. I really like the Garmin oregon with it's interface and features, but i'm worried about my options with maps and route planning. Most of this isn't directly related to the geocaching thing, but i want a gps for hiking and camping as well. Anyone who can help clear up my confusion regarding maps would be doing me a huge favor. Cheers from a new Geocacher addict. ;)

There are tons of free maps for the Garmin's. Check www.gpsfiledepot.com. That said, you're pretty limited as to turn by turn routeable maps for them. I can't speak about the Delorme line, but someone will...

Here's a helpful Mac related discussion:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=239979

Edited by SamSpade47

You can load as many of the maps from gpsfiledepot to a garmin GPS as you'd like and then pick which one you'd like to view at the time from the GPS unit. with certain maps (transparent) you'll be able to see the data over an existing map (such as the basemap).

You can load as many of the maps from gpsfiledepot to a garmin GPS as you'd like and then pick which one you'd like to view at the time from the GPS unit. with certain maps (transparent) you'll be able to see the data over an existing map (such as the basemap).

I found it very confusing until I actually tried it on my new Oregon 200. I downloaded Mapsource from Garmin then installed the Ibaycus USA maps to my netbook. They appeared in Mapsource and I selected the whole USA and told it download to the SD card in the Oregon. Took 30 min to render and another 30 to download (while I was watching TV etc.) and on the next boot I had some pretty nice quality maps on the Oregon.

I'm not totally certain about the "can load more than one" part to the Oregon. I downloaded multiple map overlays of Olympic National Park, Valley Forge, and some satellite imagery of downtown Philly and it only used the first one loaded. Might be user error on my part. Not quite sure, the oregon wiki is a bit confusing.

I found it very confusing until I actually tried it on my new Oregon 200. I downloaded Mapsource from Garmin then installed the Ibaycus USA maps to my netbook. They appeared in Mapsource and I selected the whole USA and told it download to the SD card in the Oregon. Took 30 min to render and another 30 to download (while I was watching TV etc.) and on the next boot I had some pretty nice quality maps on the Oregon.

I'm not totally certain about the "can load more than one" part to the Oregon. I downloaded multiple map overlays of Olympic National Park, Valley Forge, and some satellite imagery of downtown Philly and it only used the first one loaded. Might be user error on my part. Not quite sure, the oregon wiki is a bit confusing.

Whenever you load maps, it'll compile, then dump the file into the unit. If you compile only Ibaycus then load that... then compile and load another map, it will overwrite the Ibaycus.

If you want multiple maps, you have to change to each maps set in Mapsource, select the tiles from that map (example) Ibaycus, then change maps to (example again) Hawaiian Topo, then select the tiles you want displayed, then again (example) change maps to (some other map) select the tiles you want from there... compile all of them, then load them to the GPS.

In the GPS you'll be able to go to >setup>map>select map.... all of the above map tiles should be selectable.

I am a bit comfused also as map overlays and satellite imagery are two different data types.

Oz was probably refering to the ability of the CO, OR & DK units to rename the gmapsupp.img file which MapSource creates to anyname.img (.img is the critical part). Then you can later have MapSource create another gmapsupp.img from another mapset (or more than one as SamSpade47 replied) and rename it. Do this as many times as you like. By this method, you can also remove a mapset without the need to have MapSource rebuild from all the other mapsets.

Or the other option is to load all the maps from mapsource and then change them on the GPS (not 100% sure how well that works on the Oregon but its the only way to do it on the 60csx).

But snowfleurys is right that with an oregon the above method is probably the best way.

I am a bit comfused also as map overlays and satellite imagery are two different data types.

Oz was probably refering to the ability of the CO, OR & DK units to rename the gmapsupp.img file which MapSource creates to anyname.img (.img is the critical part). Then you can later have MapSource create another gmapsupp.img from another mapset (or more than one as SamSpade47 replied) and rename it. Do this as many times as you like. By this method, you can also remove a mapset without the need to have MapSource rebuild from all the other mapsets.

Might the above trick also work on the eTrex Legend HCx? Or am I generally limited to only one map? (I do have Missouri & Midwest FREE topos loaded on one micro SD card - without doing any renaming. But now I would like to load several different states on another different micro SD card - either from the FREE site or from Garmin's USA topo 1:100K DVD. That way I hope to change cards depending on where I plan to travel.)

Thank you

Only the software on the CO, OR, & DK will recognize mapsets with non gmapsupp.img files. There is something that some models of NUVIs can do, but I keep forgeting what it was.

The other units need a gmapsupp.img file - which can be built in MapSource and other software like SendMap2 from one or more source mapset. The gmapsupp.img file has to be built at one time and can not be added to nor have a file(s) deleted from it.

Each micro memory card will have it own gmapsupp.img file. Only one will be in the GPSr at any one time.

You just have to keep track of which area(s) are on which card.

Another 'trick' is to change the name of the gmapsupp.img to something else like gmapsupp.st1, gmapsupp.st2, etc. Then change the one you want to gmapsupp.img when you want to use it. You would only be able to use one file at time and need to attached the GPSr to some device which would allow you to change file names. Not for everyone, but it could save some time in reloading files onto the GPSr - like if you have the space on the memory card change the gmapsupp.img file of your home area to home.xxx;

upload the gmapsupp.img for the area being traveled to; when you return delete or rename that file; then rename home.xxx to gmapsupp.img.

Hello,

I am the owner of a 60csx with topo 2008, navigator 2010, and maps from the gpsfiledepot.com site. I have all of these maps loaded on my gps's 2 gb memory card for my area in California and Nevada. I looked at upgrading my gps to either the 300 or the delorme pn-40 and did a lot of research on both units.

I liked the idea of garmins touch screen for the 300 because I have an iPhone that I used for paperless caching. I also liked delormes mapping software and the ability to purchase unlimited map downloads for $25.00, from amazon.com. I finally decided on the delorme for the following reasons:

1) I liked the way my CSX felt in my hand when I carried it vs the bulky square feel of my iPhone. The delorme is shapped like my CSX where the 300 is like my iPhone.

2) I have dropped my CSX many times without any concern of it breaking but when I have dropped my iPhone, I almost have a panic attack everytime worrying about if I cracked the screen or damaged it. The PN-40 is very similar in durability as my CSX and I am not that concerned when I drop it. The 300 would be like my iPhone and I would stress about dropping it.

3) I have a car GPS so the routing capabilities of the delorme for roads is not a concern but my CSX is much better at road navigating as would the 300.

4) I really liked the idea of having satellite maps on my GPS and the delorme offers that and it's really cool. The 300 currently does not offer that. This was the selling or final reason I bought the PN.

As to your question about it's ability to work with a MAC, I can't answer that since I am a pc user. I do use gsak t upload and download my caches and field notes and t works great. I did not download the cache register software since gsak does everything I need.

The final thing you might want to consider about thes two units is in regards to your statement about wanting to use the unit for hiking and camping. I personally lke the feaures of my CSX and PN-40 over those of the 300 for those activities. Again, these are the reasons I chose the delorme. You now need to figure out what your needs are and I would highly recommend that you visit a store like REI to hold and play wth both of these units to see what you like and don't lke about them.

Good luck in your decision. Either way, you will be happy with your decision.

Edited for some spelling

Oh, one last thing. The delorme does use batteries a little faster but I bought the sanyo enloop batteries and they are lasting from 6-9 hours. I always bring along extras for just in case but haven't needed them yet.

Edited by ao318

4) I really liked the idea of having satellite maps on my GPS and the delorme offers that and it's really cool. The 300 currently does not offer that. This was the selling or final reason I bought the PN.

Fyi, A recent development...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=240003

Thank you for the link. When I was choosing between these two units in November of last year, this option was not available to me. Yet, even with this information, I would still choose the PN-40 over the Garmin units for the other reasons I had listed. The only thing I wish the PN-40 had, that I really like about the Garmins, is the larger screen but that was not a major factor in my decision process. This might be something that is important to the OP though.