Uploading finds from pn-40

fatjimmy

I have been spending a lot of time getting familiar with my new PN-40 before using it.. I set it up and added 500 caches by a pocket querie and syncing it with the Delorme Pocket cache register widget... Now I found my first 2 caches today with it. I logged the cache as "Found it" on the GPS... Then tonight I used the cache Register to sync... I found it only creates a log and does not register it in my profile as "FOUND"... Am I doing something wrong???... or is this the way it should be... after done sync then manual log each one as found???

Right, Cache Register uploads the "found list", field notes to gc.com.

Then the user has to go down the list and enter each find in the corresponding geocache page.

And that is fine with me as I usually like to add a few sentences with each find and I prefer to type those here on this very keyboard as contrasted with entering them on my PN-40.

Right, Cache Register uploads the "found list", field notes to gc.com.

Then the user has to go down the list and enter each find in the corresponding geocache page.

And that is fine with me as I usually like to add a few sentences with each find and I prefer to type those here on this very keyboard as contrasted with entering them on my PN-40.

Hello, I am having difficulty uploading field notes from PN-30 to GC.com field notes page. My computer does recognize the fieldnotes.txt file on the PN-30, however when I select upload, GC.com replies with "0" field notes found. Are you aware of any tricks to getting this working. Someone told me that I need to set up as map transfer, rather than data transfer when PN30 is connected. I have tried both methods with same unsuccessful result.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide

Hello, I am having difficulty uploading field notes from PN-30 to GC.com field notes page. My computer does recognize the fieldnotes.txt file on the PN-30, however when I select upload, GC.com replies with "0" field notes found. Are you aware of any tricks to getting this working. Someone told me that I need to set up as map transfer, rather than data transfer when PN30 is connected. I have tried both methods with same unsuccessful result.

This is copied from the Delorme instructions tab on "Upload Your Field Notes File" page:

To upload Field Notes from your DeLorme Earthmate PN-40:

1. Plug your PN-40 into your computer with a USB cable.

2. From the Geocaches Page, press MENU, highlight "Upload Field Notes" and press ENTER.

3. Click "Browse" on this web page and go to the PN-40's internal drive (EM_USERMAPS).

4. Select the file named "FieldNotes.txt" and click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

5. On your PN-40, press the ENTER button to return to normal GPS use.

6. We recommend that you delete the "FieldNotes.txt" file on the PN-40 once your Field Notes are uploaded.

Once the Field Notes are uploaded you can return to the Field Notes list page to start logging your finds.

Process is the same for the PN-30.

Edited by Pax42

This is copied from the Delorme instructions tab on "Upload Your Field Notes File" page:

To upload Field Notes from your DeLorme Earthmate PN-40:

1. Plug your PN-40 into your computer with a USB cable.

2. From the Geocaches Page, press MENU, highlight "Upload Field Notes" and press ENTER.

3. Click "Browse" on this web page and go to the PN-40's internal drive (EM_USERMAPS).

4. Select the file named "FieldNotes.txt" and click "Upload" on this page to upload your Field Notes.

5. On your PN-40, press the ENTER button to return to normal GPS use.

6. We recommend that you delete the "FieldNotes.txt" file on the PN-40 once your Field Notes are uploaded.

Once the Field Notes are uploaded you can return to the Field Notes list page to start logging your finds.

Process is the same for the PN-30.

Thanks, I have tried performing function exactly as instructions direct and using various other methods, including "Map Transfer" mode as someone local suggested after they found that is the only way they were able to upload "FieldNotes". When I search the PN 30, I see a message that the "FieldNotes.txt" file can not be found, but I have confirmed I have many caches in the "Found" state. When I log a cache, I got to log find screen, select TFTC, for brevity, select ADD, and scroll to the Done button. Does "FieldNotes" require text to be entered manually in to the data field inorder to create a "FieldNote.txt" file.

I have also tried this on another computer that has successfully loaded "FieldNotes" from their PN 30 to GC.com "FieldNotes". I do know that I can receive "FieldNotes" since I am able to send them from my Blackberry to GC.com from the field.

I am beginning to wonder if there is a problem with my PN 30 software.

BCF

I normally just "sync" mine again - it will come back and say something to the effect that everything is current, but there are field notes. Do you want to upload? I say yes and a GC page is brought up where I can compose a log, etc.

At this point I am wondering if I should get Cache Register and use it. Is that a download from Delorme, or is it a disk sent in the mail. If CR will work for field notes, I can use it, it is just frustrating that I can not get PN 30 to work directly via upload to GC.com Field Notes and have to use an additional app.

Thanks

I normally just "sync" mine again - it will come back and say something to the effect that everything is current, but there are field notes. Do you want to upload? I say yes and a GC page is brought up where I can compose a log, etc.

This only works with Cache Register. The other posts are referring to uploading the field notes directly from the PN-xx to the field notes section of your account on GC.com

At this point I am wondering if I should get Cache Register and use it. Is that a download from Delorme, or is it a disk sent in the mail. If CR will work for field notes, I can use it, it is just frustrating that I can not get PN 30 to work directly via upload to GC.com Field Notes and have to use an additional app.

Thanks

$10 download from DeLorme... It's all I use now for loading PQ's and uploading field notes.

Thanks, I have tried performing function exactly as instructions direct and using various other methods, including "Map Transfer" mode as someone local suggested after they found that is the only way they were able to upload "FieldNotes". When I search the PN 30, I see a message that the "FieldNotes.txt" file can not be found, but I have confirmed I have many caches in the "Found" state. When I log a cache, I got to log find screen, select TFTC, for brevity, select ADD, and scroll to the Done button. Does "FieldNotes" require text to be entered manually in to the data field inorder to create a "FieldNote.txt" file.

90% of my field notes are empty. Never had a problem.

When you do the steps above, open Windows Explorer. You should see a drive letter, probably E (depends on your system), with a volume name of "EM_USERMAPS" Assuming you have recorded Field Notes, the file should be right there. If it's not, then CR will do you no good, because it can't upload a file that doesn't exist.

CR is well worth the $10 to me, not just because of this feature.

Edited by dakboy

When you do the steps above, open Windows Explorer. You should see a drive letter, probably E (depends on your system), with a volume name of "EM_USERMAPS" Assuming you have recorded Field Notes, the file should be right there. If it's not, then CR will do you no good, because it can't upload a file that doesn't exist.

I can see the FN.txt file and open txt editor and can see the Field Notes listed, they will just not upload to GC.com. I will try CR. Is CR a dl from Delorme, or do I have to wait for a disk via snail mail?

I can see the FN.txt file and open txt editor and can see the Field Notes listed, they will just not upload to GC.com. I will try CR. Is CR a dl from Delorme, or do I have to wait for a disk via snail mail?

CR is a download.

You're saying that when you're on this page, browse for the file, and click "Upload Field Note", you can't upload it?

I wonder if there's something pooched with your gc.com account.

CR is a download.

You're saying that when you're on this page, browse for the file, and click "Upload Field Note", you can't upload it?

Yep, pooch, no workie. Ill try CR for FN uploads. Will continue to use GSAK for PQ manipulation and dl to GPS, so powerful. Thanks to all for responses. Ill keep tinkering with it.

BCF

CR is a download.

Yep, pooch, no workie. Ill try CR for FN uploads. Will continue to use GSAK for PQ manipulation and dl to GPS, so powerful. Thanks to all for responses. Ill keep tinkering with it.

BCF

Purchased and dl'ed CR. Was able to sync PQs from GC.com. Did test upload of Field Notes, no Notes uploaded to GC.com FN page. Also tried to import custom GPX files from GSAK. Those did not load to device. They are in CR, but did not load to device. Also noted in CR help file that FNs will only be uploaded for caches loaded to device with CR. What's the deal with that? So far, without ability to upload FNs thru CR or manually from GC.com, not impressed with PN 30, except it will hold 1000 caches.

Still seeking solutions,

Thanks

You can only create a Field Note by logging a find/DNF/NM/Note on a cache stored in the GPS with the GC ID, so it follows that you can only upload FNs for caches which exist in the GPS.

If you load a cache into the GPS via Send to GPS, you can log a FN for that one as well.

You can "create" a geocache on the PN by selecting the appropriate icon when creating a waypoint, but you will not be able to enter a FN because there's no GC code associated with it.

When you create the GPX from GSAK, run it through this macro before putting it in the GPX Library directory.

It's also possible that your -30 needs a hard reset, or a reinstall of the firmware.

Edited by dakboy

You can only create a Field Note by logging a find/DNF/NM/Note on a cache stored in the GPS with the GC ID, so it follows that you can only upload FNs for caches which exist in the GPS.

If you load a cache into the GPS via Send to GPS, you can log a FN for that one as well.

You can "create" a geocache on the PN by selecting the appropriate icon when creating a waypoint, but you will not be able to enter a FN because there's no GC code associated with it.

When you create the GPX from GSAK, run it through this macro before putting it in the GPX Library directory.

It's also possible that your -30 needs a hard reset, or a reinstall of the firmware.

You may have just stated my problem. When I view a cache description page on the PN, I do not see the GC cache code anywhere. Could this be why my FNs do not upload. I checked your link regarding Clyde's work, but I am kinda dense in that macro area. I do use several macros with GSAK, but understanding the way they are created is beyond me.

If I do a hard reset will that loose the maps I have installed to SD card. Also can firmware be obtained at Delorme.com and installed by myself?

Thanks for your help and patience.

You may have just stated my problem. When I view a cache description page on the PN, I do not see the GC cache code anywhere. Could this be why my FNs do not upload. I checked your link regarding Clyde's work, but I am kinda dense in that macro area. I do use several macros with GSAK, but understanding the way they are created is beyond me.

Download the macro, install it, run it. You don't have to understand what it's doing. It does what needs to be done.

CR allows you to reorder/hide/show various fields in the cache info. Make sure that the GC code is one of the fields shown, reload the PQ, and see what happens. But I suspect you'll have the same results - I'm pretty sure the code is there regardless, even if it's not shown.

If I do a hard reset will that loose the maps I have installed to SD card. Also can firmware be obtained at Delorme.com and installed by myself?
On the SD card - no (but you can be ultra-safe and remove the SD card before doing the reset).

On the device - possibly, depending on what level of reset you do. http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Hard+Reset+and+Boot READ THIS PAGE CAREFULLY AND THOROUGHLY

Yes, the firmware is available from delorme.com, in the Support area. Direct links available from the wiki. http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Firmware+Versions

Before going to a hard reset, I would try deleting the fieldnotes.txt (or whatever it's called) file in internal memory. Maybe the file is corrupted.

Connect in internal map transfer mode and browse to locate & delete the file (sounds like you know how to find it). Then try creating and uploading a few new fieldnotes.

Download the macro, install it, run it. You don't have to understand what it's doing. It does what needs to be done.

CR allows you to reorder/hide/show various fields in the cache info. Make sure that the GC code is one of the fields shown, reload the PQ, and see what happens. But I suspect you'll have the same results - I'm pretty sure the code is there regardless, even if it's not shown.

On the SD card - no (but you can be ultra-safe and remove the SD card before doing the reset).

On the device - possibly, depending on what level of reset you do. http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Hard+Reset+and+Boot READ THIS PAGE CAREFULLY AND THOROUGHLY

Yes, the firmware is available from delorme.com, in the Support area. Direct links available from the wiki. http://delormepn40.wikispaces.com/Firmware+Versions

Well, went out and grabbed a hand full this afternoon and tried to upload FN thru CR and thru GC.com website. Neither method worked. I was however able to view the field notes on the device, unlike on previous attempts. I guess my next action will be to try to update/reload the firmware. If this does not work, there must be something wrong with my PN 30.

Did you say earlier that when you view the cache details on the PN, you don't see the cache ID listed? I'm talking about viewing the cache comments with the description, not just the basic info you see when you highlight and select a cache. If using CR, the cache id is a required component and must be there otherwise you would get the very result you're getting, field notes won't upload. I suspect the caches you were viewing came from GSAK where you possibly have a setting wrong and the GC code isn't getting loaded on the PN. I would clear all caches off the device and delete the fieldnotes.txt file. Then load a small PQ from CR, enter a cache on the device as found and try uploading again.

The fact that you said you could see the fieldnotes.txt file on the PC indicates the PN is not at fault.

Did you say earlier that when you view the cache details on the PN, you don't see the cache ID listed? I'm talking about viewing the cache comments with the description, not just the basic info you see when you highlight and select a cache. If using CR, the cache id is a required component and must be there otherwise you would get the very result you're getting, field notes won't upload. I suspect the caches you were viewing came from GSAK where you possibly have a setting wrong and the GC code isn't getting loaded on the PN. I would clear all caches off the device and delete the fieldnotes.txt file. Then load a small PQ from CR, enter a cache on the device as found and try uploading again.

The fact that you said you could see the fieldnotes.txt file on the PC indicates the PN is not at fault.

I am unable to delete the filed notes on the PN, unless you can explain manual method. When connecting to CR and attempting to sync new PQs, I get message that Field Notes can not be uploaded, yet I next get a message asking if I want to view Field Notes on GC.com. They do not load to GC.com. When you say cache ID, you mean the 6 digit code starting with GC****?

Yes, cache id is the "GC" number. It should be listed at the top when you view the cache comments.

You said that you were able to see the fieldnotes.txt file on the PC. What steps did you take to do that?

With the PN connected to the PC:

1. From the Geocaches Page, press MENU, highlight "Upload Field Notes" and press ENTER.

2. After a few seconds the PN's internal drive (EM_USERMAPS) will show up in windows explorer.

3. Open the em_usermaps folder and you should see the "FieldNotes.txt" file.

4. Delete it.

After clearing the PN including the field notes file, don't even bother with GSAK or CR, just use the "send to GPS" button on any cache listing. Once on the PN, mark it as found and then try the upload again.

Edit: Good link Embra.

Edited by Pax42

After clearing the PN including the field notes file, don't even bother with GSAK or CR, just use the "send to GPS" button on any cache listing. Once on the PN, mark it as found and then try the upload again.

Edit: Good link Embra.

I agree. try it with a new cache that you downloaded using the send to GPS button. You could also try a PQ that was created and installed through Cache Register and skip the GSAK. let's see where you are getting bogged down. I would bet its a GSAK settting like others have mentioned if oyu are creating and importing a gpx file from GSAK into the PN or Cache Register.

Hmm...I think you may have identified the problem, Jay. I forget what the setting is in the GSAK export, but one needs to identify the cache by cache ID, not name only.

Edit: Found this brief discussion of relevance on the wiki.

Holy Carp, that was it "E". I changed the setting in GSAK to %code and caches were sent to PN. I then marked one as found and synced through CR. It uploaded Field Note to GC.com. My only with is that I would be able to view cache name in list instead of GC code. Oh well, I'll work with this till I get a work around. thanks for your timely insight. Been through two sets of batteries today just working this out.

BCF

My only with is that I would be able to view cache name in list instead of GC code.

BCF

If you are using the send to GPS function in GSAK and have it set to the pn-30 you should have the correct cache names in your geocache list.

I had a similar issue to what you are describing when I would export my data from GSAK to a gpx file and drag that to the memory card. But when using the send direct to gps in the GPS menu it works perfectly.

If you've got CR, GSAK isn't needed if you want to load a PQ direct into the unit. Just do it all right within CR. That would have bypassed the problem.

Since a fieldnotes file already existed in the PN's internal memory, switching to CR didn't initially help because he was just adding more notes to an already corrupted file that GC wouldn't take. Until that file with the mising cache IDs is cleared, no method would work.

If you are using the send to GPS function in GSAK and have it set to the pn-30 you should have the correct cache names in your geocache list.

I had a similar issue to what you are describing when I would export my data from GSAK to a gpx file and drag that to the memory card. But when using the send direct to gps in the GPS menu it works perfectly.

Even using the "send to" function in GSAK won't work if you don't have the "%code" tag listed in the waypoints name line.

If you've got CR, GSAK isn't needed if you want to load a PQ direct into the unit. Just do it all right within CR. That would have bypassed the problem.

Since a fieldnotes file already existed in the PN's internal memory, switching to CR didn't initially help because he was just adding more notes to an already corrupted file that GC wouldn't take. Until that file with the mising cache IDs is cleared, no method would work.

Even using the "send to" function in GSAK won't work if you don't have the "%code" tag listed in the waypoints name line.

[/quot

Pax42 and Embra are correct, the problem was with the %code vs %smart in the Waypoint Name field. I have corrected this and now have the GC code appearing in the description page, where as before it did not. I am now able to upload Field Notes via GC.com page and dl PQs via GSAK, however there is still a bug in the GSAK "Send to GPS". After each db is sent, my GSAK freezes and I must three finger salute to restart GSAK to load another db. Although CR was a neat little tool, I prefer to use GSAK for its powerful macro and db utilities.

Thanks to all that responded to my crisis and provided timely assistance.

BigCarbonFootprint