I'm Trying this Again!

BigJohn9913

I tried to take up this hobby with little or no success......It was a discouraging experience. I would really like to try it again. Is there anyone on the east side of Indy that can give me a crash course, and also to explain all the lingo I see on these sights....Maybe a weekend seminar or something. I just need a better understanding of this hobby. Thanks......John

You should absolutely read the "Getting Started" section on geocaching.com Here

Also, most lingo is explained Glossary of Terms

Its pretty simply concept: Download coordinates to your GPSr.... and get movin!

The real tactics are learned over time. Things like where to actually look when you get there and how to interpret what your GPSr is telling you only come with experience.

Good luck and feel free to ask us question, we would be glad to share what we know.

Edited by BugNbunny

You should consider joining the Central Indiana Geocaching group on Google. Several active cachers in and around Indy are on the list and it would be a good resource for you as you restart Geocaching. Also, it is a good place to hear about events and all things Geocaching around Indy.

http://groups.google.com/group/central-ind...eocachers?hl=en

I will be free for a couple of hours early on Sunday morning, if you would like to go caching. Have to be home by 11am or the wife gets mad! :unsure: Send me a message via Geocaching.com, if you are free and want to go.

You should also consider coming to a local event. The Central Indiana GC community is a VERY social bunch. We have monthly get-togethers we call "GiGs." GiG technically stands for "Girls in Geocaching" - but EVERYONE is invited (the events are only hosted by women). We just had our January meet-up last week in Avon. February is currently being planned, but I believe it will be in Noblesville.

There is also a chili cook-off event coming up in early March (GC22Y91) and the Spring Picnic is just around the corner in mid-May (GC1YWMP).

If you're able to make it to any (or all!!) of these events, it will give you a chance to mingle with the natives and get some great advice. I have learned so much, and made some really wonderful friends because of this hobby. Hope to get a chance to meet you someday too. :)

Alicia (of lakedawgs)

You should also consider coming to a local event. The Central Indiana GC community is a VERY social bunch. We have monthly get-togethers we call "GiGs." GiG technically stands for "Girls in Geocaching" - but EVERYONE is invited (the events are only hosted by women). We just had our January meet-up last week in Avon. February is currently being planned, but I believe it will be in Noblesville.

There is also a chili cook-off event coming up in early March (GC22Y91) and the Spring Picnic is just around the corner in mid-May (GC1YWMP).

If you're able to make it to any (or all!!) of these events, it will give you a chance to mingle with the natives and get some great advice. I have learned so much, and made some really wonderful friends because of this hobby. Hope to get a chance to meet you someday too. :ph34r:

Alicia (of lakedawgs)

I would certainly like to attend the February event......I will watch for info on it......

Edited by BigJohn9913

I would certainly like to attend the February event......I will watch for info on it......

Here you go... published only moments ago! GC233EG, hope to see you there. :ph34r:

WOW!! That was fast.... I will put it on the calendar....So, if you see a gray haired old man who sems lost, THATS ME....... I will be using my Roadmate, instead of my Triton, because I get lost quickly with the Triton....lol See you then...

Here you go... published only moments ago! GC233EG, hope to see you there. :lol:

WOW!! That was fast.... I will put it on the calendar....So, if you see a gray haired old man who sems lost, THATS ME....... I will be using my Roadmate, instead of my Triton, because I get lost quickly with the Triton....lol See you then...

Well the weather got me, and I just simply missed it......I hope to try at next event, sorry.....john