GC.com website VISUAL feedback thread

bittsen

Than you Moun10Bike for directing us to start a new thread on the visual aspects of the GC.com website in this post http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...91647&st=52

Let me start the list by saying the site looks too generic.

Personally I find it hard on the senses as the design elements are not consistent. They do not flow from one page to the next.

I am also not quite enthused about the amount of spacing, well, everywhere. The use of 1.5 spacing isn't visually pleasant, from this users viewpoint.

The use, or misuse, of list coloration is something that seems to have disappeared in the listing functions and, again, isn't visually friendly.

The font sizes seem to have been changed to one size larger throughout the site. I don't see a need for this except on my cell phone but on both of my monitors it appears bulky (or is that blocky).

The layouts weren't quite what I was used to before (menu was on the right side as opposed to left) but that was an easy enough adjustment to make once I realized they were there. Now they take up too much of the page.

With the size of text, there is much more wrapping that doesn't need to be there. Some cells are too small for their fields that cause additional wrapping. Some cells are too large for their normal fields and don't seem to be wrapping properly.

Overall, I think it's a common consensus that the new "look" of the web pages are not what the members would like to have.

I would like to add that I have been working in the graphics industry for almost 3 decades. I have a little sense of design.

Please add your comments and keep them civil.

Edited by bittsen

I've been keeping pretty quiet about the visual aspects of this release, but I will use this opportunity to ask those behind it, what were you thinking? Or, moreover... why? What was the business decision behind this change? There are soooo many more enhancements and fixes that your users have been asking for. The one change that I do not recall ever seeing a thread about is "more whitespace" (or for that matter, any other reformatting of the visual aspects of the site).

Logging page:

764933813_aph56-M.jpg

1. GC text input too wide. Size appears to be a percentage of page width.

2. Log type too wide (similar to 1)

3. There are 3 instances of "Select One" - one in the beginning and two more at the end. This only happens when you submit a log, then immediately edit it.

Edited by Chrysalides

I wonder if the changes were made to improve the looks on an iphone? I know at least one prominent geocacher that uses an iphone, maybe that drove the changes.

I do agree that there is to much white space, tables are poorly formatted causing unneeded wrapping which just exacerbates the white space clunky look to the web site. But at least the changes have driven me to learn more about user style sheets and user scripts, so I guess that is a good thing.

On font sizes, I'm not sure that is all bad, it is easier for old eyes to see the information better.

I guess palmetto summed it up best with this poem.

I'd like to say that in general I like the new design. There's a couple of minor nits, like the extremely wide GC Code input box, but they really don't affect the usability of the site.

At this point the only things I don't like are:

* The 1.75em line height. I did some experiments and IMO it looks much better in the range 1.3 to 1.5.

* On the cache page, if the description is very short, there tends to be a very large vertical gap (white space) between the description and the hints. The more travel bugs and bookmark lists on the page, the longer that gap becomes.

I appreciate that the next blocks down, additional waypoints and maps, can now take up the whole width of the page, and that's good. But please move the hints section up into the table cell that includes the description, to minimize the extra white space.

Thanks.

I find myself having to scroll around a lot now. After looking over a lot of caches, my arm aches lol.

My main complaint though is that the logs on the cache page are just too glaring bright. Far too much white space too. It is too visually hard on me. I like to read cache pages and this is a definite minus. The colors on the cache listings when you pull up a lot of caches are too similar in shading and tend to blur as well as be glaring bright. Visually the site is annoying.

If going back to the way it was color wise isnt an option, would it be possible to have 2 skin options? That way, those who like the new color scheme can keep it, and those who do not can have the old color scheme. Everyone is happy then.

Gotta say one thing I like. The google geocaching map is now wider. Prior to this update, the map was only about 3 inches across. Now its substantially larger. Thank you for that lol.

I have been a premium member for a year or so, Old site was very well done. I checked the forums to find out what happened.... This is not a good "upgrade" , if printing pages there is a lot of wasted space. I don't like to complain but just for constructive point of view , the site should be changed to resemble the former look.

Thanks in advance

The one change that I do not recall ever seeing a thread about is "more whitespace"...

I made comments on the lack of white space around the text of logs a long time ago. They had the text pretty much butted up right next to the edge of the box.

White space is good. ...if you use it properly. It's not used properly in the present layout. White space is used to create rhythm and eye flow. It's used to easy the eye to where it needs to go and to separate elements from each other so when the eye is flowing it doesn't get confused as to where it needs to go next.

The whole cache page is visual nightmare. It's is jumbled. Some of the least important things on the page jump out first. The most important things are buried in the jumble. It's total junk and if I had presented such to my employers at the time I'd get a look that was either "Okay, it's a joke. I get it. Now where's the real layout" or a look that said they were questioning their decision to hire me in the first place.

I get that someone might have made some decisions high up to not change the layout. Been there. "Don't spend too much time on..." whatever. But this is ridiculous. You can completely change a code base without changing the layout. Basically code spits out what you need. Someone changed what is spit out. A conscience decision was made. It's hard to believe that someone looked at that layout and approved it. But then again, not so hard...

I have zero experience in the graphics industry but I can tell you that the new look looks more like a downgrade then an upgrade.

The site was working so well for so many.....why change it? All I've seen in the forums in the last day is nothing but complaints. Change it back, it was fine last week. I am not going to stop using the site or anything like that but as a paying customer I have to say that the new look is aweful.

The one change that I do not recall ever seeing a thread about is "more whitespace"...

I made comments on the lack of white space around the text of logs a long time ago. They had the text pretty much butted up right next to the edge of the box.

AHA!!! At last, we have the perp caught red handed!! It's all your fault, huh? Couldn't keep your mouth shut, could you? Now look what you've done. The entire internet is worthless, gone to pieces, just 'cause you thought the logs could use a little breathing room. Oh, boy... now you've done it.

White space is good. ...if you use it properly. It's not used properly in the present layout. White space is used to create rhythm and eye flow. It's used to easy the eye to where it needs to go and to separate elements from each other so when the eye is flowing it doesn't get confused as to where it needs to go next.

Iabsoltutelyagreewithyouthatwhitespaceisextremelyimportantincommunicating.

;)

Seriously... I really, really, really want to hear where the decision to make these visual changes came from, and why. I'm seriously considering a hunger fast. Or, if not that, at least a beer reduction.

I'm assuming this is the place for this.

In any search for caches, the column headed Last Found is not wide enough for "5 days ago*" and so the row is double height. If that column were wider, then some of that white space would go away. I note that "yesterday" fits in the column so it doesn't need to be much wider.

I agree with most of the complaints. Wasted space, too wide (have to open my browser all the way), Type too small, color to light.

When I tried to print a cache page I had wasted too much paper with just blank pages.

And why in the world is the hint below the decoder? Hard to see the hint. It should be above.

Also I miss the part when you try to enter another GC # that the GC stays instead of disappears like it has been. GC is default, why not fix it so you just enter the number after the GC only.

Edited by jellis

Well, I'm happy. And that's a good thing. For me. :)

I guess it's a combination of liking some of the changes, and not even seeing some of the specific things, that some people are complaining about, on my computer.

I guess it's my platinum membership paying off for me again! ;);)

Hi,

i have an issue with the PQ-display. Sorry for the wide image, but as you can see, the website doesn't work properly even on a wide screen:

• 1. Column too wide, wasted space
  • 2. Column too wide, wasted space (maybe rename it to "View"
  • 3. Columns could be smaller, maybe use 2-letter-abbreviations (Su Mo Tu ...)
  • 4. Text wraps when bold (old bug)
  • 5. Use users time-zone (old bug)

pq.png

The display of the PQ itself sucks completely, but that is a different topic.

Klaus

Well, you asked.

Several issses here:

• 1. Useless line-wrap, location could follow distance from home coordinates
  • 2. Wasted space
  • 3. Useless line-wrap, printer symbold could follow "Print:"
  • 4. Useless space
  • 5. Disclaimer info not as wide as info above and below
  • 6. Map should be the same width as other boxes on right columns
  • 7. There should be space between short and long description

cache.png

I've been keeping pretty quiet about the visual aspects of this release, but I will use this opportunity to ask those behind it, what were you thinking? Or, moreover... why? What was the business decision behind this change? There are soooo many more enhancements and fixes that your users have been asking for. The one change that I do not recall ever seeing a thread about is "more whitespace" (or for that matter, any other reformatting of the visual aspects of the site).

Precisely my thoughts. Why the hell mess around with something which was working properly with so much work to do in real improvements? BIG mystery and a huge question mark regarding the priorities sense of people who are "responsible" for this company.

Now that it was done, comes the second act: let's see if these persons are able to accept the obvious fact that users are not happy with the changes. Some may say: "you mean YOU are not happy". Well... a reading to these threads provides the adequate answer to such remark.

My web life is a long one and unfortunately I can't recall many cases of persons who could accept the negative reaction of their users after a bad redesign. Considering the opinion I have of Grounspeak, formed in the last 5 years, I truly doubt they will be an exception for this negation attitude.

As to the visual.... basically it was all said before: white space, waste of space. Not functional. Lots of scrolling, waste of paper if printed. Awful. Not good to create alternate row colors with a color that is at the same time the background. In general terms, we gained an ugly thing.

Due to all I just wrote, I have cancellation of PM membership scheduled. No, it's not a spoiled kid attitude. Quite the opposite, it's a matter of principles. [Potty language removed by moderator.]

Edited by Keystone

cache.png

further issues here:

1. to much margin/padding within navigation box
  2. linehight could be 1.25
  3. UTM Coordinates could be next to other Coordiantes (or omitted)
  4. Date formats should be consiytent on the hole Page /See Log Dates
  5. Word Print is obsolete because of printer Symbol next to it
  6. the section below (4) could be all in one Row like this: Download [Loc Waypoint File] ..... [send To Phone] Read About Waypoint Download
  7. Attributes should be arranged 6x2 because maximum ist 11 Attributes (I think)

Edited by Jon Snow

764933813_aph56-M.jpg

1. log date and type not legt alligned
  2. (mm/dd/yyyy) not needed any more
  3. use sysmbol instead of (Tradional Cache)
  4. in one row: Encrypt this log entry (x) Good to use if your log contains information on how to find the cache. If you decide to encrypt the logs, text within brackets [like this] will not be encrypted.)

Looking at the "Post a New Log" page:-

1) On my netbook (the portable PC of choice for many cachers) the bold italic lines are virtually indecipherable and just look ugly on a big monitor.

2) As the Date Logged has drop down boxes, why do you need to say "(mm/dd/yyyy)" any way??

3) Surely in the type of logs it should read "Needs to be Archived" not "Needs Archived"?

Chris

Although my Rawhide spoof chorus is Too Wide! my real complaint is Too Long - all the extra spacing creates incredibly long pages.

My weak memory won't hold what I saw at the top in the amount of time it takes to get to the bottom and then back up again to see, mm, I've forgotten what?

This is especially true on bookmarked lists, the length is now interminable.

But many many thanks for the new column on bookmarks that includes the GC Code! and a link.

The tiny text entry box on the cache submit form makes cache editing painful. You can't even see an entire URL for example. Tough tough using that now. It was already too small, and now it's smaller?

Edited by palmetto

My first question is , Why SHOW the tables? We know they were all there before, we don’t want to see them.

2nd, the white space is annoying, and they decreased the size of boxes to make white space. I usually copy and paste the cache listings in a word doc, and they used to go nicely, Now they are clunky and messy

I agree with everyone when they say , “What were you thinking”. I would love to hear from someone who designed this, to at least here them defend this visual and technical atrocity.

Well, I'm happy. And that's a good thing. For me. :)

I guess it's a combination of liking some of the changes, and not even seeing some of the specific things, that some people are complaining about, on my computer.

I guess it's my platinum membership paying off for me again! ;);)

I kinda like it too. I few minor problems visually butr nothing to get upset over.

I am absolutely certain many of the visual changes were applied in order to lay a groundwork for some of the other big changes that folks have been asking for. As well as to further some business goals.

I wonder if the changes were made to improve the looks on an iphone?

Nope...pretty much looks the same on the iPhone as it does on most any other browser...

Edit: Stupid Mouse...hits the post button...

That all being said...I really don't think it is that big of deal...I am confident the changes were made for something that will be coming soon (relatively speaking)...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

Is the "Your"/"My" debate a visual aspect?? Well you can see it so I guess its incuded here...

I can understand the points being made about this, but surely the decision should be applied consistently if it's made at all! On the very first page when you've logged in, you see "Your Profile" in the left column and "My Profile" at the top right corner!!

Chris

I wonder if the changes were made to improve the looks on an iphone? I know at least one prominent geocacher that uses an iphone, maybe that drove the changes.

If that's the case, I would suggest the following: why not detect the user agent, and serve up different css to different browsers? That way iPhone users can get a version that's more visually appealing (or readable) on the device, and those of us on personal computers get another look more tailored to computer screens.

Personally I think the font is way too big. If it's hard to read for some, you should be able to bump up the font size in your browser... I bumped mine down after the redesign but now there's too much whitespace and the line spacing just stands out more. The website if designed properly should be able to scale upwards or downwards gracefully (to a point) to fit the users preference.

On the very first page when you've logged in, you see "Your Profile" in the left column and "My Profile" at the top right corner!!

Not to mention that it's still called a "My Finds" pocket query. I don't care what they want to call it, but the scatter-shot implementation just gives me an uneasy feeling about a lack of consistency. I'm used to seeing these kinds of discrepancies from companies that are circling the drain.

The white space and visible tables remind me the of results of using MS Word as an HTML editor. I'm non-plussed.

Edited by Castle Mischief

The white space and visible tables remind me the of results of using MS Word as an HTML editor. I'm non-plussed.

Then avoid viewing the source.

Random id/class use, weird css mixture, random fixed column widths, perverse font sizes and modifiers.

It's as if noone has looked at the code they're producing or if they have they don't care!?

The printable css is now worse than it used to be - both for google maps (I want the cache names on the right and I want the cache type icon) and cache descriptions (cache_details.aspx not cdpf.aspx)

And I've seen mention of HTML Tidy... then why are there still basic url encoding issues (& -> &)

All cache logs have <br><br><small>View this Log</small>... which would be much better at the right of the date/name line than doubling the log height for short logs - not that I've ever understood the use of the link anyway and am currently hiding it. (Though not the more stubborn breaks)

Edited by aB5dEglYeS5P

Someone must have heard that white space is good. This is way too much spacing between page elements and between lines.

It is also, in my opinion, way too wide. This comment box is too wide. On the cache listing pages, the logs are too wide.

When pages are excessively widened (like this), they become difficult to read. I am seriously tempted to install Opera to override the fixed width, but I get the impression that the designers didn't even look at this layout in a Gecko-based browser (SeaMonkey, Firefox).

I haven't looked to see if maps or printer-friendly pages are improved, but the main part of the site is a royal pain to use.

Edited by msrubble

I have put my complaints in. Of course one that I hasn't been addressed by anyone else that I noticed is, Have you checked where your hints are?

Anyway I heard a lot of you saying the cache pages are functional. Yes most of the complaints are about visual problems.

But if you compare the two...Isn't visual just as important as fuctional? Someone mentioned it looked Generic. I totally agree. It looks unfinished or under construction. I checked 3 different browsers all looked basically the same.

The map looks like it crowds up the page. It doesn't have to be larger.. isn't that why if you click it we can see it larger?

The wrapped text in everything just looks sloppy and causes the page to be longer to scroll down.

Edited by jellis
I have put my complaints in. Of course one I noticed hasn't been addressed by anyone else that I noticed is, Have checked where your hints are?

Anyway I heard a lot saying the cache pages are functional. Yes most of the complaints are about visual problems.

But if you compare the two...Isn't visual just as important as fuctional? Someone mentioned it looked Generic. I totally agree. It looks unfinished or under construction. I checked 3 different browsers all looked basically the same.

The map looks like crowds up. It doesn't have to be larger.. isn't that why if you click it we can see it larger?

The wrapped text in everything just looks sloppy and cause the page to be longer to scroll down.

To me, visual issues are most certainly different from function issues. A visual issue is simply annoying. A functional issue means that I cannot get certain things done. They either don't work, or they work incorrectly.

If I don't like the look of the Pocket Query page, that's one thing. But if I don't get my Pocket Query when I request one, that is quite another.

I have put my complaints in. Of course one I noticed hasn't been addressed by anyone else that I noticed is, Have checked where your hints are?

Anyway I heard a lot saying the cache pages are functional. Yes most of the complaints are about visual problems.

The map looks like crowds up. It doesn't have to be larger.. isn't that why if you click it we can see it larger?

The wrapped text in everything just looks sloppy and cause the page to be longer to scroll down.

To me, visual issues are most certainly different from function issues. A visual issue is simply annoying. A functional issue means that I cannot get certain things done. They either don't work, or they work incorrectly.

If I don't like the look of the Pocket Query page, that's one thing. But if I don't get my Pocket Query when I request one, that is quite another.

I am not saying functional isn't important I am saying visual is just as important.

This site has always in my opinion looked very professionally done. But now it looks undone

Edited by jellis

... I am also not quite enthused about the amount of spacing, well, everywhere. The use of 1.5 spacing isn't visually pleasant, from this users viewpoint ...

... With the size of text, there is much more wrapping that doesn't need to be there. Some cells are too small for their fields that cause additional wrapping. Some cells are too large for their normal fields and don't seem to be wrapping properly ...

Amen and amen to both quoted paragraphs. Based upon the "other" thread, it is hard to know just how all of this happened. It sounds as though the overall design was dictated from above, and our hard-pressed coders are just trying to make it happen and work out the bugs that resulted.

Frankly, I find the new "look" to be less visually appealing than before, but more to the functional side, the new "look" is actually causing the overall user interface experience to suffer for some of us, especially for those of us who take netbooks into the field with their smaller (more like CRT resolution) screens, or those that use real CRT monitors (I'm 100% LCD of various flavors, but understand the angst of CRT users expressed in the other thread) or try to print anything from a page from gc.com without wasting extra paper due to the serious overabundance of white space and poor line width controls.

As an example of the above - I'll often pull up a map of caches in an area, uncheck my own caches and finds, turn on the numbering, and take a screen capture of that to use as a cache run map. At this point, the wrapping is so bad that even before I turn on the index numbers, I can only fit a few cache names/descriptions in the right hand column due to wrap, wrap, wrap. So now I have to make smaller maps and waste more sheets. PITA, actually.

The wrap issues are showing up in small and large ways all over the gc.com site, and are caused almost entirely not be an actual redesign but in the style applied to most of the fields on a page. UNDO it please!

.... I would like to add that I have been working in the graphics industry for almost 3 decades. I have a little sense of design.

Please add your comments and keep them civil.

... so have I. And... "design" is not really what has happened here.

Only a few examples:

Too large fonts, to many line feeds or too large distances between lines, forcing the users to scroll endlessly in order to get the information they want... isn´t (to express it in a polite way)... really user friendly at all.

Whatever the "designers" intended to do... sorry, but this isn´t the real thing.

Please let us have the old "design" again: it´s user friendly, consistent and therefore enables the users to navigate across the page without any problems... and that´s all we want...

Cheers,

Dingo01

I've noticed a few visual issues that I haven't seen reported yet:

1) The caption below the public profile photo is no longer centered.

2) "Access or Parking Fee" is now classified as "Special Equipment" in the cache attributes.

3) When editing a cache page, the "Date Placed" text does not align with the associated entry field.

4) In the trackable inventory on the cache page, there needs to be some sort of separation between the list of trackables and the "See the history" and "What is a Travel Bug?". These two links look like they are just another 2 trackables in the list.

The following issues have already been reported, but I find them visually annoying, so I'll repeat them here:

5) The alternate shading on the "Additional Waypoints" is not applied to the "Note" part, making it difficult to visually separate multiple waypoints.

6) The alternate table shading interferes with the colours that are applied to found caches and owned caches in the cache search table. This makes it look like the white and blue colours have a meaning.

7) The hint on the cache page should be located directly below the "Additional Hints" heading.

I'm not talking about the resulting HTML code, I am talking about the resulting web page as viewed in your browser.

My point being is that it looks more like a step backwards than forwards.

I'm not talking about the resulting HTML code, I am talking about the resulting web page as viewed in your browser.

My point being is that it looks more like a step backwards than forwards.

Entirely understood... just meant that if you think it looks bad on the outside, under the hood is worse...

(Don't get me wrong, that's far less important but is IMO indicative of some of the sloppy work here)

Edited by aB5dEglYeS5P

Why not post your awkwardness here? Instead of repeating the problems you think you have.

This way the dudes making this all possible for us, can take a relaxing look at what is happening.

I think patience is a keyword here.

This is just my opion. So keep that smile and a other day will arrise soon, there are worst things in life :unsure:

Overall I see what GS was trying to do, but a few bugs and format issues seemed to make it worse. The site is still functional, but not as nice. I'm not angry, I just think there is a lot of room for improvements with this visual layout.

:D I like the tables on my profile pages. Clean, crisp, sharp looking. If all tables looked like that I bet there would be very few complaints (some people just hate change).

:D I also like the profile link on the left hand side

:) A LOT of wasted space.

:D I liked the second map where it was. It seems out of place on the right margin.

;) Why the change to last 30 days? 7 was enough and if I wanted to go back that far I can just go to my public profile and see all. (Or do a search).

:unsure: Does anyone need the decoder on the cache page. Almost every GPS decodes the hint instantly, and those who aren't paperless can either read ROT1 or have the cipher written down somewhere. Sure you can keep it on the page, but it's taking up WAY more room than before. Also is there a need for online map links on every cache page?

;) Why is the text in the cache logs so small IT should be just as big as all other text.

;) On the search page the highlight colors need to more distinctive. The colors now are bland, boring, and most importantly hard to read.

I haven't played around too much, and I know those at Headquarters are working to make this site better. The speed, and functionality is great. I hope this was constructive.

Edited by IkeHurley13
Overall I see what GS was trying to do, but a few bugs and format issues seemed to make it worse. The site is still functional, but not as nice. I'm not angry, I just think there is a lot of room for improvements with this visual layout.
Me, too - and perhaps moreso?

;) I like the tables on my profile pages. Clean, crisp, sharp looking. If all tables looked like that I bet there would be very few complaints (some people just hate change).
At 1280x1024, the "Log Visit" wraps to a 2nd line, causing enormous waste of vertical space - tons of white between line entires.

:D I also like the profile link on the left hand side
Given that I know who I am, and am the ONLY one who will ever see this page, why are we wasting horizontal space putting the cacher's name in front of every single entry? That is, after all, the ONLY name that will ever appear there. Seems a bit useless. Then again, it's nothing new, but now space is at a premium. Time to fix the problem or start cutting out the unnecessary items. (I'm talking about the individual line entries on the left side of the Profile Page, mind you. You may be talking about something else.)

:) A LOT of wasted space.
Well, I'm with you on THAT score!

:D I liked the second map where it was. It seems out of place on the right margin.
I'm neither one way or the other. I would prefer that wherever it is, it not soak up any additional vertical space. The problem as I see it now is that the items from Additional Hints and below can't start until the Inventory section has completed on the right, which may leave a ton of wasted space unless the combined short and long descriptions can soak it up - and they often don't. The use of space, rather than being dynamic, seems very much fixed.

;) Why the change to last 30 days? 7 was enough and if I wanted to go back that far I can just go to my public profile and see all. (Or do a search).
If I researched the way this was used, and discovered that lots of power cachers were frequently pulling up ALL of their caches to find something below the 7 day cut, I might open it up to 30 to see if that kept the traffic down a little bit. Perhaps that actually was what happened?

:unsure: Does anyone need the decoder on the cache page. Almost every GPS decodes the hint instantly, and those who aren't paperless can either read ROT1 or have the cipher written down somewhere. Sure you can keep it on the page, but it's taking up WAY more room than before. Also is there a need for online map links on every cache page?
Or at least allow the decoder and the hint itself to occupy the same horizontal space. As it stands now, that huge block of space out to the right of the decoder is unused by anything. Another mega white space issue.

;) Why is the text in the cache logs so small IT should be just as big as all other text.
My eyes aren't getting any younger, either. But I'm more inclined to allow for something that shouldn't occupy more vertical space. BUT - the problem is, the leading between lines is so large that it all takes up a ton of space anyway. It's like someone has selected 1.5 vertical pitch or something.