Update: Release Notes 1/12/10

OpinioNate

Nice guess...but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I tried....(Close) was NOT clickable text.

So, I uploaded some more field notes...none of the text between "Your Profile" and "Your Inactive Caches" is there now. :)

I hate being a beta tester. :anicute:

They need to bring the old site back until they're finished testing. :huh:

Nope. I am correct. The (Close) is not clickable like a link. It is Java Script where onClick it removes the pending Field Notes display dynamically.

With pending field notes:

51aeb30a-1868-49f2-90a6-d49b9c8e8a55.jpg

After clicking on the not a link (Close) text:

ede623e8-769b-4963-970e-5059c9260fe1.jpg

I am not sure what even triggers the display of the pending field notes. I had to log out of the website, and then it displayed it again. Obviously you have to have pending field notes for it to display at all. I assume it tracks your visit cookie, and will only display on the first visit and / or until you click the Close to not have it display.

Never mind, this IS the appropriate thread. My bad.........

Not your bad at all. The people bickering in this topic need to get out of this topic. Post factual information regarding bugs or don't post at all please. Take the bickering to email or private messages. Keeping this to the facts will help the developers and the general community as they read this topic to see if their problem has been reported.

Thanks, if it helps any, the "ignore before" date on my field notes page is correct.

Moun10Bike, just wanted to make sure you saw my post about the calendar not working and that it didn't lost in all the chatter.

Basically, the calendar works if you select a date less than a month ago, but if you go beyond a month, the site returns a server 500 error.

This happens on different computers using both Firefox 3.5.7 and IE7 on Vista32 and Vista64 and Safari on the iPhone.

I've just deleted a post from this topic. To reiterate...

<snip> The people bickering in this topic need to get out of this topic. Post factual information regarding bugs or don't post at all please. Take the bickering to email or private messages. Keeping this to the facts will help the developers and the general community as they read this topic to see if their problem has been reported.

Moun10Bike, just wanted to make sure you saw my post about the calendar not working and that it didn't lost in all the chatter.

Basically, the calendar works if you select a date less than a month ago, but if you go beyond a month, the site returns a server 500 error.

This happens on different computers using both Firefox 3.5.7 and IE7 on Vista32 and Vista64 and Safari on the iPhone.

Thanks for the repeat - I did in fact miss your original post! Assuming you are talking about http://www.geocaching.com/calendar/, I am unable to repro. For example, I'll go back to November, click on the 7th, and get a proper list of events that were held on that date beginning with "HHE2009 -- Oorlog en Vrede by IJskimo (GC1X2P2)".

Do you continue to see internal server errors with these steps? If not, do you know specifically what steps you took to get the errors?

Thanks!

d'oh, I can't remember which thread - but did I report here the problem with Firefox and HTML comments including a username with "--" breaking the description page?

sample cache for username "indiana--gibbs"

the "--" should be escaped in the page source's HTML comment tags...

(also, I'm viewing with FF3.5.7, and it works with IE7/8 and Chrome)

If you view the source, you can see (if you're using the colour coded source viewer) where it's recognizing the extended comment due to the "--" and where it's ending the comment.

Edited by thebruce0
Similar to Skippermark, I'm not sure if the bug I reported about bookmark got lost among all the bickering.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4196471

Basically, on bookmark view without any geocaches in it (e.g. newly created bookmark) the "Bookmark It!" box at upper right corner is missing. Let me know if you'd like a screenshot.

Thanks, Chrysalides! That is one that we already have in the database. I've added it to the "known issues" list in the OP.

d'oh, I can't remember which thread - but did I report here the problem with Firefox and HTML comments including a username with "--" breaking the description page?

sample cache for username "indiana--gibbs"

the "--" should be escaped in the page source's HTML comment tags...

(also, I'm viewing with FF3.5.7, and it works with IE7/8 and Chrome)

If you view the source, you can see (if you're using the colour coded source viewer) where it's recognizing the extended comment due to the "--" and where it's ending the comment.

Thanks, thebruce0; I've entered that into our database.

Not sure if this was happening before or not, but when I go to the home page, log on, and click on the GO button in the centre of the page (under Search for Geocaches) to find my local caches, I get page after page of caches I've already found.

But if I click on my profile the search box on the right gives me the option to hide caches I've already found. Could this be added to the more obvious GO button search??

Chris

Thanks for the repeat - I did in fact miss your original post! Assuming you are talking about http://www.geocaching.com/calendar/, I am unable to repro. For example, I'll go back to November, click on the 7th, and get a proper list of events that were held on that date beginning with "HHE2009 -- Oorlog en Vrede by IJskimo (GC1X2P2)".

Do you continue to see internal server errors with these steps? If not, do you know specifically what steps you took to get the errors?

Thanks!

Hi Moun10Bike. I should have mentioned which calendar.

I was referring to the small one located in the upper right on the Your Geocaching Details page.

It seems to work when you view a day less than a month old but beyond a month, it returns the 500 error.

Editing to add that the event calendar mentioned in your post works correctly.

Edited by Skippermark

WinXP/IE6. Come on Groundspeak, how can you expect your users to put up with no maps?

5c274b3e-d686-43a7-a4ed-86d7a8012414.jpg

IE6 customers continue to have ONE problem; that being that maps will not display. I have repeatedly asked Goundspeak to make a statement on whether they intend to support IE6 at this time or if they will be obsolescing it - retro effective as of Jan 12, 2010.

To date Groundspeak has not replied. It is a simple question and one that Goundspeak’s customers have a right to know.

What is it going to be Groundspeak?

WinXP/IE6. Come on Groundspeak, how can you expect your users to put up with no maps?

5c274b3e-d686-43a7-a4ed-86d7a8012414.jpg

IE6 customers continue to have ONE problem; that being that maps will not display. I have repeatedly asked Goundspeak to make a statement on whether they intend to support IE6 at this time or if they will be obsolescing it - retro effective as of Jan 12, 2010.

To date Groundspeak has not replied. It is a simple question and one that Goundspeak’s customers have a right to know.

What is it going to be Groundspeak?

1. Seeing the above posts, I'll reiterate the comment I made prior to launch: the site is virtually unusable when running IE6 in my corporate environment. Between unusable displays, absent maps and browser crashes, I am no longer able to do simple tasks.

2. I came here to report a glitch in the pocket query generator that I just encountered here at home, running the current version of Firefox on WinXP. The query setup page allows me to select invalid dates without throwing an error message, and it produces misleading results (500 caches found). I discovered this while editing a date-ranged pocket query where I selected June 31st as the starting date. Prior to the recent update, the query submission would not go through with an invalid date. If I recall correctly, it would fix itself by defaulting to a valid date.

The suggestions that Groundspeak is discontinuing support for MSIE 6 were part of the bickering that mtn-man ended when he posted:

The people bickering in this topic need to get out of this topic. Post factual information regarding bugs or don't post at all please. Take the bickering to email or private messages. Keeping this to the facts will help the developers and the general community as they read this topic to see if their problem has been reported.

Given that the list of outstanding issues at the head of this thread includes "Mapping errors in Internet Explorer 6", do you really think they're discontinuing support for MSIE 6? Why would they bother listing this issue if they were no longer supporting MSIE 6.

Thanks, Skippermark! I should have checked that calendar as well but had the event calendar stuck in my head. It looks like a database timeout behind the scenes might be the cause of this error. I've added the issue to our database and the list of known issues in the OP.

I was able to reproduce the error as well using the latest version of Firefox. I thought he was talking about the event calendar as well.

It does appear to be a "time out" issue. I hope it helps to have another user check, if not let me know.

Hi Nate!

One thing, maybe someone has already mentioned, but more voices is way better than one.

In the "My Public Profile" under "Trackables" tab, you see a list of "Collectibles" (Inconsistency?! This should be Trackables throughout! AND it's misleading that these 'travelers' are 'collectibles' as well.)

Back to my main story, it's nice to have the "Row" alternatively striped with color.

BUT!!!

PLEASE DO NOT do this in the unique Icon column!!! Please NEVER!!!

It totally ruins the appearance of the icons without the White background!

Really UGLY!!! WHY?!

And, it's a great insult to EVERY beautiful unique icons AND their designers!

This is JUST unacceptable, and MUST BE FIXED!!!

I will keep my voice up, until this issues is solved,

and all the Icons have their White background back!

PLEASE!!!

- Dr.MORO

Safari 4.0.4 in Mac OS X 10.5.8 on PPC G4

Edited by Dr.MORO

Hi Nate!

One thing, maybe someone has already mentioned, but more voices is way better than one.

In the "My Public Profile" under "Trackables" tab, you see a list of "Collectibles" (Inconsistency?! This should be Trackables throughout! AND it's misleading that these 'travelers' are 'collectibles' as well.)

I could see some dangerous misperceptions resulting from refering to trackables as Collectibles.

Let's pretend I ONLY have ONE computer and it runs IE6 because of my legacy program.

I literally have a few thousand dollars worth of legacy programs laying around. I no longer use them, I moved on long ago, Just because I have the program does not mean it has to be used. (arg I also many hundreds of dollars of old RAM laying around - I once paid $180 for 4x256k 30 pin simms, yep 1mb for $180. Should I still use it? I do have a 386dx40 mobo it would fit in.)

Look ,I am the last one who would be defending what GS did with how this release was rolled out - BUT time to move on from IE6 - the vulnerabilities will NEVER get patched.

Having problems with a bookmark list. When opened, the title and list owner are not what they should be! Also, I have "20" caches selected in the dropdown to the right and many more than that actually appear on the page. (My list contains 181 records.)

list.jpg

Also, I posted this in the visual thread, but it should go here. Cache pages no longer load properly on my mobile device. Another situation where old technology is involved (Palm OS/Blazer) but the old website worked quite nicely and now it's not usable at all. I know about the the WAP site, but so much info is missing going in that way.

And yeah - I hate the visual changes, too :lol:

In the "My Public Profile" under "Trackables" tab, you see a list of "Collectibles"
IIRC this has been present for a while.

It totally ruins the appearance of the icons without the White background!
I looked at my profile and thought all the 32x32 icons looked quite fine on an #EDF1F8 background. I did observe, however, that some of the icon images use a white instead of a transparent background, which doesn't blend so well anymore.

This is JUST unacceptable, and MUST BE FIXED!!!
:lol:
I know that cellpadding was corrected for my own caches (I don't use blockquotes).
True, sorry... Only <blockquote> still display a gray background which is not looking good.

Today cellpadding reverted back like a few days ago and is not working in HTML cache decription. Then it was fixed and now it is broken again?

Edited by Rhialto

IE6 customers continue to have ONE problem; that being that maps will not display.

Worse than that here . . . can't get cache listings to display at all, so can't see co-ordinates and can't even log maintenance on my own caches to keep them running for others. Had a brief go in local library, no joy, library also runs XP/IE6.

I would agree with this - this 2000/IE6 user has many issues.

- Maps don't work

- Can't read many cache pages due to information flowing off the page to the left with no scroll bar

- The nav menu isn't on a number of screens

- When sending an e-mail, the text box resizes twice with every key stroke

- Date issues with some field notes

- etc

The site really is unusable now where it was very usable before. At least if I'm patient, I can still run PQs, so I'm able to get the data offline and work with it there.

I know that cellpadding was corrected for my own caches (I don't use blockquotes).
True, sorry... Only <blockquote> still display a gray background which is not looking good.

Today cellpadding reverted back like a few days ago and is not working in HTML cache decription. Then it was fixed and now it is broken again?

Cellpadding is still working for me as expected in my cache descriptions.

Thanks!

I was referring to the small one located in the upper right on the Your Geocaching Details page.

It seems to work when you view a day less than a month old but beyond a month, it returns the 500 error.

Actually I cant access even December 31, 2009 on that calendar.

Having problems with a bookmark list. When opened, the title and list owner are not what they should be! Also, I have "20" caches selected in the dropdown to the right and many more than that actually appear on the page. (My list contains 181 records.)

list.jpg

Also, I posted this in the visual thread, but it should go here. Cache pages no longer load properly on my mobile device. Another situation where old technology is involved (Palm OS/Blazer) but the old website worked quite nicely and now it's not usable at all. I know about the the WAP site, but so much info is missing going in that way.

And yeah - I hate the visual changes, too B)

I have had a similar issue that comes and goes in Firefox. This one preexists the current release problems.

4292299584_8326afb1ed_b.jpg

Thanks!

Might be a stupid question, but did you have any logs for that date?

This site is really messed up now. Whoever "re-designed" it has got it really screwed up. Paying premium members are unhappy beacuse nothing works like it should or use to. Your solution is to resort back to the previous version, until you can work out everything. There was really nothing wrong with it before that I could see. Who's idea was it that it needed changing, anyway...and why ?

Also, I posted this in the visual thread, but it should go here. Cache pages no longer load properly on my mobile device. Another situation where old technology is involved (Palm OS/Blazer) but the old website worked quite nicely and now it's not usable at all. I know about the WAP site, but so much info is missing going in that way.

FWIW, I found a workaround for this issue - in my mobile browser the pages load very nicely if I disable CSS.

I'm not sure if this is a release problem but I don't have any Field Notes before the New Years Day after Jesus was born! Could you fix the 'Ignore logs before 1/1/0001 6:00:00 AM' problem? I don't want to upload all my field notes from my Delorme evrytime I upload to the site!

Thanks

Upload Your Field Notes File

By default, the site will not upload Field Notes contained in your file before 1/1/0001 6:00:00 AM to reduce accidental duplicate logs. Uncheck the option below to include all Field Notes.

Ignore logs before 1/1/0001 6:00:00 AM

Just upload a new set of field notes, next time the date/time should be for the last log in the uploaded field notes.

No it does not change! It always says Ignore logs before 1/1/0001 6:00:00 AM after I have browsed to my field notes file to upload!

Ok that's a bug, and I'll post it in the appropriate thread.

I know I saw it somewhere else in the thread [loaded with way too much crap about what browser to use and all the scenarios] that someone asked about my ie version. Its ie8.0.6001.18702 on a WinXP.

This 'Ignore logs before 1/1/0001 6:00:00 AM' problem persists. I've uploaded Field Notes on several different days and it stays the same. My cache is dumped after each session!

Thanks!

Might be a stupid question, but did you have any logs for that date?

According to the calendar I do. When I clicked on the link, I got the internal server error.

Apparently I have another bug to report. Amazing since Im not uber tech savvy like you all are.

I went to log a cache we found on Wed Jan 20th. It is after midnight and officially Jan 21. All previous times Ive logged caches after midnight, the date shows the next day's date and I have to manually change the date. Tonight it didnt do that. The default date when I went to log my cache showed up as yesterday's date even thought it was after midnight. This is not something the site has ever done before. I did not post any other logs so that isnt why the default date was the 20th.

If it matters, I have WinXP and Firefox.

Oops, started another trhread for this, but it probably belongs here???

afced375-5194-4b44-84ec-62cf0d43f88a.jpg

Didn't happen until after the adoption.

I also see same problem on these Bugs...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2462234

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2169078

is the problem throughout the site???? Logs are showing in a layer OVER the TB image.

It doesn't seem to occur when the text is enough to allign with the image, only when the text is less that the size of the picture.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1235076

OK, so looking at several of my TBs that have images uploaded for the description, it appears that there is no consistancy in the placement of the image on the Bugs page?? What's up with that, shouldn't the image be in the same place every time?

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Can we make this field

FN.jpg

Editable?

I want to be able to keep my field notes in my Colorado intact but whenever I upload a set of field notes I can't ignore my older notes if I have an empty field notes page. They upload each time no matter if I delete them or not.

It's a royal PIA to deal with.

Thanks.

Another bug, again apologies if this has been reported before.

Zooming out on the Geocaching Maps page I get the message "Your search exceeded 500 caches". That's fine if the search did return that many, but at the time I was filtering by Earthcache and there are only about 2 or 3 in the area.

In fact if I remove all cache types from the filter, and would therefore not expect to get any caches back, I still get the "exceeded 500 caches" message.

At a guess I'd say you're running the query, checking for the number of caches, and only then applying the filter.

Apparently I have another bug to report. Amazing since Im not uber tech savvy like you all are.

I went to log a cache we found on Wed Jan 20th. It is after midnight and officially Jan 21. All previous times Ive logged caches after midnight, the date shows the next day's date and I have to manually change the date. Tonight it didnt do that. The default date when I went to log my cache showed up as yesterday's date even thought it was after midnight. This is not something the site has ever done before. I did not post any other logs so that isnt why the default date was the 20th.

If it matters, I have WinXP and Firefox.

This is a known issue and we hope to have it corrected for the next release.

At a guess I'd say you're running the query, checking for the number of caches, and only then applying the filter.

This is not a bug introduced by this latest release, but a request for a change in the way this feature was implemented. Please keep this thread focused on issues with the latest release. Thanks!

Sorry if logic is not a contribution. There is NO EXCUSE for ANYONE to use IE6¹ in 2010, sorry that is a plain old fact. If your work is using it..... spare me, what are people accessing gc.com at work for?²

¹ -I have already said WHY I am still using IE6. It's important as well.

² -None of your business where and why people are accessing GC.com

Agreed

This 'Ignore logs before 1/1/0001 6:00:00 AM' problem persists. I've uploaded Field Notes on several different days and it stays the same. My cache is dumped after each session!

The checkbox will reset whenever you delete field notes (as opposed to "converting" them into logs). Is there any chance this is what is happening in your situation?

In the software universe there comes a point where each developer/publisher must make the hard choice to stop supporting a particular version of a particular program. It would appear that GS has made the decision to stop supporting IE6 after neary 10 years. ...
Have TPTB actually stated this or is it being assumed? This thread is about bugs, after all. It is fair to ask whether the loss of IE6 functionality is a bug.
In the software universe there comes a point where each developer/publisher must make the hard choice to stop supporting a particular version of a particular program. It would appear that GS has made the decision to stop supporting IE6 after neary 10 years. ...
Have TPTB actually stated this or is it being assumed? This thread is about bugs, after all. It is fair to ask whether the loss of IE6 functionality is a bug.

OpinioNate has stated in another thread that Groundspeak is not discontinuing support for IE6.

--Larry

This is not a bug introduced by this latest release, but a request for a change in the way this feature was implemented. Please keep this thread focused on issues with the latest release. Thanks!

The site is reporting finding more than 500 caches, when in fact there are only a few or, in one case, none at all. I'd class that as a bug; whether it was introduced in this release I can't say as I'd never noticed it before.

Of course if it's working as designed then it's a feature and not a bug.