Update: Release Notes 1/12/10

OpinioNate

What are the chances that all the workaround I'm doing now will still be valid in a few days, weeks with a next update on Tidy (that's how you call it?)

HTML Tidy will not be updated for a long, long time (the one we were previously using came out in something like 2003). The change was necessary due to security issues. Remember those strange characters that would appear at the end of some cache descriptions? The devs narrowed it down to memory leaks involving the old version of HTML Tidy. Such an issue could have been exploited by a hacker.

The drop down list for log type and the View Another Listing text box at the bottom seems extremely wide, and grows wider if you resize the window. In fact, it seems to occupy a fixed percentage of the page instead of a fixed number of pixels.

In case this is not universal, I'm running Vista and FF 3.5.7. And yes, I tested with Greasemonkey disabled ;)

I could have sworn this wasn't present this morning when I logged my find. But perhaps I wasn't paying close attention.

Edited by Chrysalides
Can I ask, with no angst or sarcasm involved, Will there be changes to the aesthetics to address the premium members concerns regarding the less-than-stylish formatting currently being displayed on most all GC.com pages?

That's not for me to say, as the design of the site falls not to the devs and the team I'm on but to higher powers in the company. As I've said in other threads, they are receptive to feedback based on customer wishes, so I encourage those who dislike the current design to express those feelings - just not in the threads dedicated to functional issues involving the release (i.e. those items that the dev team has direct say in).

I would encourage you to start a thread dedicated to the subjective issues involving the redesign - look and feel issues rather than functionality issues. If the moderators try to shut that down, point them to my post here. ;) It will be important, however, that the posts in that thread are constructive and helpful. Saying "fix the ugly" will just rub everyone the wrong way, lead to shut down by the mods, and accomplish nothing in the end. The thread will also have to be a pleasant place for those who might disagree with your point of view and actually like the changes.

I could have sworn this wasn't present this morning when I logged my find. But perhaps I wasn't paying close attention.

It was there from the beginning of the redesign. That's one of those look-and-feel issues; I would encourage that sort of feedback in the thread I'm suggesting that bittsen (or whomever wants to take up the mantle) start.

I miss the map on the Waypoint Conversions page. I often use this to change coordinates (particularly when solving a puzzle), and it is very helpful to see the new coordinates marked on the map. Can the map be brought back?

That's a good suggestion; I've added the issue to our bug database.

On event pages when you go to the drop down box on the logging page and it's default setting is "ATTENDED" instead of "SELECT ONE" which now appears TWICE in this box.

The fact that it appears twice is by design (at the top and bottom of the list), but good catch on the fact that it is defaulting to attended. I'll enter a bug on that.

I miss the map on the Waypoint Conversions page. I often use this to change coordinates (particularly when solving a puzzle), and it is very helpful to see the new coordinates marked on the map. Can the map be brought back?
I don't know if that will be brought back or not, but there are replacements for that functionality. For starters, why don't you give

http://boulter.com/gps/ a try?

Moun10Bike

I have one question how many of the tester of this update had CRT monitors ? I am using 1024 by 768 and a lot of line wraping if you go to a higher resolution it is better but these old eyes can't see it to well.

On the speed thing and the Google maps not working, I went from IE6 to IE8 and fix both of these. I now have XP sp3 IE 8.

(This may have been from an earlier update, but what the heck; this thread is where the conversation is...)

When you've finished editing your profile, naturally the first thing you want to do is see how it looks. But how do you get there? You're dumped on the "Your Account Details" page, and there's no obvious direct path to view your profile page. (There is an amusing "Preview Profile Details" link, but it looks nothing like the final result; the CSS is all different, or perhaps missing. So that's no help.)

It's goofy, but it looks like the most direct way to see your freshly-edited profile is BACK BACK RELOAD.

Oh well, quirks are all part of the frog's charm. I guess.

PS: Wouldn't the Preview option make more sense if it was available before the Save Changes button instead of after?

Edited by Viajero Perdido

[hijack]

Wait...waypoint conversion page...where's that?

[/hijack]

When I had to rebuild, I built a parallel test site, made sure that everything I could think of worked under IE and FF, at the very least, and then asked co-workers and a very very few reliable outsiders to take a look at it and tell me if I missed anything.

With regards to the foregoing comment(s), it would have been a good idea to incorporate different operating systems, i.e. W98se, Vista etc, along with IE and FF browsers, however old they may be. Some of us are still using them and, heaven forbid, log onto GC by the "dialup" method. Furthormore, it would have been appropriate to see how the website is displayed in various screen formats, i.e. 800x600, 1024x768 etc.

I am personally bothered by the fact that all my work to make my cache pages rich in color and graphics, now look like crap! Until the "wonderful" improvements have been de-bugged, I will ignore complaints about how some of them look. They can put the blame of GC's new and improved updated software.

No doubt and by now, GC has probably heard about most of the bothersome bugs, but I'm sure that in de-bugging them, they will create more. Hopefully, they will be less bothersome and ironed out later.

BTW, I seem to recall this same scenerio happening several years ago. I guess it's true, the past does come back to you one way or another.

/\/(°w°)\/\

On event pages when you go to the drop down box on the log entry page and it's default setting is "ATTENDED" instead of "SELECT ONE" which now appears TWICE in this box.

The fact that it appears twice is by design (at the top and bottom of the list), but good catch on the fact that it is defaulting to attended. I'll enter a bug on that.

I can actually tell you why "SELECT ONE" appears twice in the box. I actually suggested that a very long time ago. That has been there on every cache logging page for years.

It is because of the finger wheel scroll mouse. People tend to click the down arrow, select one of the items on the list (like "ATTENDED"), then the selection appears in the window. If you don't click out of the box before you use your scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll down the page, the box entry will scroll to the bottom or the top depending on the direction you scroll with the scroll wheel. We saw countless entries on caches in the queue where people were not logging reviewer notes but were instead logging whatever was at the bottom of the list. Since reviewer notes automatically delete when the cache is published, these non-reviewer notes had to be manually deleted before we could list a cache. I suggested putting "SELECT ONE" at the top *and* the bottom so if the scroll wheel issue popped up then the page would reload and ask the user to select a log type again. The incorrect log type issue pretty much vanished.

You might have never noticed that "SELECT ONE" is there twice before, but it has been like that since around 2002.

I can actually tell you why "SELECT ONE" appears twice in the box. I actually suggested that a very long time ago. That has been there on every cache logging page for years.

It is because of the finger wheel scroll mouse. People tend to click the down arrow, select one of the items on the list (like "ATTENDED"), then the selection appears in the window. If you don't click out of the box before you use your scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll down the page, the box entry will scroll to the bottom or the top depending on the direction you scroll with the scroll wheel. We saw countless entries on caches in the queue where people were not logging reviewer notes but were instead logging whatever was at the bottom of the list. Since reviewer notes automatically delete when the cache is published, these non-reviewer notes had to be manually deleted before we could list a cache. I suggested putting "SELECT ONE" at the top *and* the bottom so if the scroll wheel issue popped up then the page would reload and ask the user to select a log type again. The incorrect log type issue pretty much vanished.

You might have never noticed that "SELECT ONE" is there twice before, but it has been like that since around 2002.

Edit : I take back what I said. I can't reproduce it. It might be from log visit, submit, edit. When I tried to enter a new one, or editing an old one, there is only one at the end.

Edit 2 : OK I managed to reproduce it. Go to a cache. Write a log (note, find, DNF, whatever). Submit. Then immediately edit it.

It appears 3 times, not just at the beginning and end. It appears twice at the end.

764933813_aph56-M.jpg

Edited by Chrysalides
On event pages when you go to the drop down box on the logging page and it's default setting is "ATTENDED" instead of "SELECT ONE" which now appears TWICE in this box.

Um, it should totally default to attended. Please don't bug that.

If you want to be really slick, how about defaulting to 'Will Attend' *before* the event date, and "attended" AFTER (or on) the event date.

I'm sure mr nz would prefer it default to Write Note, to accomodate his copious event note making, however, the vast majority simply posts will attend, then attended after the event.

Thank you Mr. Ben for turning my reasonable question into a Pointless Attack about how you don't like "copious event note making." Isn't that what the IGNORE button is for? My notation about the WRITE NOTE default was specifically for ANYONE who attends events and would find it easier to do so if the drop down box was fixed.

So nice to hear from you Ben because in the 6 years I've been caching I've never seen you throw one or even attend one of the 30+ event caches I've put on that everyone loves.

Now let's get back to the real meat and potatoes here...bug fixes....thank you very much.

P.S. I slightly agree that it would be nice to have Will Attend and Attended "date affected" as I sometimes see newbie cachers marking "ATTENDED" way before the event dates. Thanks again.

Um, it should totally default to attended. Please don't bug that.

If you want to be really slick, how about defaulting to 'Will Attend' *before* the event date, and "attended" AFTER (or on) the event date.

I'm sure mr nz would prefer it default to Write Note, to accomodate his copious event note making, however, the vast majority simply posts will attend, then attended after the event.

When I had to rebuild, I built a parallel test site, made sure that everything I could think of worked under IE and FF, at the very least, and then asked co-workers and a very very few reliable outsiders to take a look at it and tell me if I missed anything.

With regards to the foregoing comment(s), it would have been a good idea to incorporate different operating systems, i.e. W98se, Vista etc, along with IE and FF browsers, however old they may be. Some of us are still using them and, heaven forbid, log onto GC by the "dialup" method. Furthormore, it would have been appropriate to see how the website is displayed in various screen formats, i.e. 800x600, 1024x768 etc.

I completely agree with you...I just didn't feel the need to competely document what to me should be obvious steps in making sure your site will work for a majority of your users. However, as this was a college website, I also had the luxury of knowing that 90% of my users were going to be operating Windows with IE and/or Firefox. At that point, MACs had not made the in-roads that they have now. Although I did also test on them as well.

To get back kind of on topic. The site speed has varied tremendously since the upgrade. It's been either blazingly fast or turtle slow with no happy medium. Personally, I prefer the former, although the latter does enable me to go get tea.

/k

Since no answer to my first question I now hove two.

Question 1 How many of the tester of this update had CRT monitors ? I am using 1024 by 768 and a lot of line wraping if you go to a higher resolution it is better but these old eyes can't see it to well.

Question 2 How many of the tester of this update used IE 6?

On the speed thing and the Google maps not working, I went from IE6 to IE8 and fix both of these. I now have XP sp3 IE 8.

Now when are you sending me my new wide screen monitor? I need it to work with your Website.

Now I don't believe any of these will be answered so will keep asking.

The changes made on the 14th gave way too much white space on the main page. The changes made just previous to that one were better for the look of main geocaching page. I don't understand why that was done. Is it going to be changed back??

I can see improving things that need fixing but why change the things that don't.

I'm using FF 3.5.0 on WinXP Pro SP3 and Other than a couple of minor glitches right after the first update that are now fixed and 1 other little thing, The iste is working great for me.

That other little thing is, and I don't KNOW if this is new, stems from a recently grabbed TB.

I grabbed it from my brother (Shop99er) but on my profile QuickView page it says "You grabbed This is what a byte feels like (Travel Bug Dog Tag) from". That's it. And no state is showing in the next column. On the TB page it says I grabbed it form the cache that my brother grabbed it from instead of showing I grabbed it from my brother.

The changes made on the 14th gave way too much white space on the main page. The changes made just previous to that one were better for the look of main geocaching page. I don't understand why that was done. Is it going to be changed back??

I can see improving things that need fixing but why change the things that don't.

Please post constructive opinions about the new look and feel in one of the threads dedicated to that topic. This thread is meant for functional issues introduced in the update. Thanks!

I grabbed it from my brother (Shop99er) but on my profile QuickView page it says "You grabbed This is what a byte feels like (Travel Bug Dog Tag) from". That's it. And no state is showing in the next column. On the TB page it says I grabbed it form the cache that my brother grabbed it from instead of showing I grabbed it from my brother.

Thank you - that was actually a bug present before this update, but still one that needs to be addressed.

I think (hope) I can now safely say that the Google map functions both in viewing and printing now work as well for me while using Safari 4.0.4 and Firefox 3.5.7 on MAC OSX 10.4.11 as they did before the meltdown... err... update. Thanks to all involved in getting it back together. There are improvements that could be offered, but there is no point muddying the waters now.

I think I've just come across another functional bug.

I've just logged a visit [GC591B] and added a waypoint. When I returned to the cache listing the log was there, but no waypoint.

I then edited the log and the waypoint was not shown. I re-entered the waypoint and saved the changes. The text then showed the waypoint immediately (i.e. without a space) followed by the log.

I returned to the cache listing and changes made to the log were saved, but the waypoint was still not there.

If I go to another cache where I've previously entered a waypoint then I can see the waypoint when editing the log. Furthermore the waypoint remains following the edit, although the display issue was there.

Sorry if this has been reported before.

Mark

I think I've just come across another functional bug.

I've just logged a visit [GC591B] and added a waypoint. When I returned to the cache listing the log was there, but no waypoint.

I am unable to reproduce that - please let me know if you find a set of steps that I may be missing to get it to occur.

please let me know if you find a set of steps that I may be missing to get it to occur.

All I did was add a log to a cache, and then try to edit the log when the waypoint wasn't saved. The log was a DNF if that helps.

I see if I can reproduce this on my own cache.

I seem to be stuck with IE6 here at work and my home FF works great.

on IE6 there is a problem viewing the map page the three map sizes seem to be wonky the largest size once clicked will only give me the smallest available size previous also no map display on map tab satellite shows just roads (pan tool only works when clicking on said rodas and terrain doesn't work mytopo works fine though.

also it's painfully slow to load pages i get background and top title then nothing for 30 sec or so.

again all these items seem to be IE6 related because FF at home works just great.

I went back to the cache with the problem, deleted my log entry and resubmitted with the waypoint. I got the same symptoms i.e. the waypoint was not saved.

I first tried on one of my own caches, then went to the cache you are having issues on and tried to reproduce the nature of your log - DNF, same waypoint. The waypoint took.

I'll try again with a non-lackey account in case that might be masking the issue.

I'll try again with a non-lackey account in case that might be masking the issue.

That doesn't seem to be the issue - even with a non-lackey test account I was able to post the waypoint using the same coordinates, same log type, and same text as you on that same cache.

Please let me know if you find anything that would help track down the cause of the issue!

That doesn't seem to be the issue - even with a non-lackey test account I was able to post the waypoint using the same coordinates, same log type, and same text as you on that same cache.

Bizarre as the behaviour is repeatable for me on that cache. I didn't do anything strange - just logged the DNF.

I guess you have more important issues to worry about just now, so forget this one unless it starts causing othe people problems

Bizarre as the behaviour is repeatable for me on that cache. I didn't do anything strange - just logged the DNF.

I guess you have more important issues to worry about just now, so forget this one unless it starts causing othe people problems

I tried one more thing - I spoofed your login and edited your existing log to add the waypoint, then posted an entirely new log that copied your existing one and added the waypoint. In both cases, the waypoint took - I've left them for you to see (you'll probably want to delete one).

Slow replication of data to the webserver ?

Today a new cache was published (GC22M7F). The publish log was created at 18:26 local time. The cachepage could not be opened at that time, giving the standard 'cache is unpublished' error. (which also said I had to be logged in, which I already was).

I could open the cachepage at 18:46 local time; so it took about 20 minutes [;)] to finally look at the cachedescription (at server WEB08)