Update: Release Notes 1/12/10

OpinioNate

Reposting here as the original thread has gotten too large. Thanks to everyone for joining that discussion.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=4191296

The following bug fixes are included in this build:

Keep user-customized area of public profile and cache descriptions free from CSS control

Gallery Images not displayed when logged out

Cache results highlighting doesn't show up in IE

500 - Internal server error when clicking on "Groundspeak Goodies" on the Resources page

Sorting by last log column in list of owned trackables causes 500 - Internal server error

Left-hand menu formatting broken in IE8 when logging trackable

Missing icons on lists on trackable items, cause due to reference to non-existent image location

Columns for found and owned trackables unevenly formatted

Column for found caches on user profile is too narrow

Earthcache guidelines checkboxes do not appear on edit (reopened to remove from ALL cache types)

Outstanding issues include:

• Checking the "exclude finds and hides" box on Advanced Search with Postal Code not working
  • Missing username in subscription confirmation emails
  • Hover text missing from trackable icons in search results, attributes on cache pages
  • Postal code tool for reconciling ambiguous post codes searches showing up for coordinate searches
  • Logs appear in order user logged them rather than by date when viewing another player's logs
  • Mapping errors in Internet Explorer 6
  • Row alignment off at bottom of list of cache note languages on Hide and Seek page
  • Line returns missing from confirmation of email sent through site
  • PQs that have run in the last 24 hours cause line wrapping due to bolding of Last Generated text
  • When editing a log immediately after submitting it, "- Select One -" appears twice at bottom of dropdown list
  • When posting cache log with waypoint, text of log runs into coordinates on Post a Log results page
  • Need spacing between short description and long description on cache details page
  • Notes incorrectly getting formatted like image caption, lose line returns
  • When viewing an empty bookmark list, several elements of page are not present
  • Cache owner username containing double dashes ("--") causes commenting out of cache details page
  • 500 - Internal server error when clicking a date more than ~1 month old on /my/geocaches.aspx
  • Inappropriate handling of time stamps in field notes and logs
  • Javascript errors in IE on pages that serve ads
  • Log contents overlap Travel Bug images in IE

... and various browser formatting issues related to the site remastering.

These are priority items as far as we are concerned, but at some point we have to lock down the release build so we can continue development on the site. It is rare to take the site down 3 days in a row, and for good reason - it's hugely disruptive to our community of users. We will hotfix what we can and at the end of this next release cycle we will release fixes for the rest.

Many thanks to everyone who has been patient with us and offered helpful feedback these last couple days!

Edited by Moun10Bike
4633: time stamps need time zone specified

Time stamps now specify GMT

GMT? That's not the right abbreviation for that time zone. It should be UTC.

:P

You're right, someone else mentioned that as well but I neglected to include it in my comment above. We'll have it fixed.

I should point out that the list of pending issues is by no means exhaustive, but covers most of the hot items brought up in the original thread.

It is rare to take the site down 3 days in a row, and for good reason - it's hugely disruptive to our community of users. We will hotfix what we can and at the end of this next release cycle we will release fixes for the rest.

The problem is that the untested build (and clearly, if it was tested internally, it was tested on a very specific hardware/software set and not under a variety of conditions) was/is far more disruptive/confusing to the geocaching community, I suspect, than the unannounced outages.

The changes that made portions of the site dysfunctional and unusable were confusing and aggravating enough to those of us who understand and work with computers on a regular basis, I can't imagine how the majority of your users felt when faced with a site that had visually changed and functionally degraded.

Just because geocaching advertises itself as a high tech sport does not mean, by any means, that its users are tech-savvy....especially given things like the iphone app, geocache junior, and google maps (which will pinpoint your coords for you) that make the sport more appealing to the general joe/joan q public.

I wish that we were not feeling that GC is sighing deeply at our irrational requests for a website that was had its previous functionality, for a website that did not force us to waste paper if (heaven forfend) we can't afford a hot spit gps device that held all the info and had to pring out our cache info, for a website that does not kill our eyes as we try to read the weird spacing and font sizes that some marketing shill (and I am always perfectly willing to blame marketing for new looks) thought was a good idea.

I've run websites for much smaller organizations than a community of thousands and I would never have released a site as buggy as this release was. When I had to rebuild, I built a parallel test site, made sure that everything I could think of worked under IE and FF, at the very least, and then asked co-workers and a very very few reliable outsiders to take a look at it and tell me if I missed anything. Only then would I release it to the public at large. AND, even then I always put warning messages on the old site that changes were coming and keep people up to date as to a timeline and contact info in case of problems.

/k

Edited by karinagw

The new layout does not work on my mobile device (Blackberry Bold9700).

Message -> "Request entity too large"

I had no problems before the update!

I cannot open the cache page from within the "notify email",

so it is not possible to "send the gpx file" to Cacheberry.

Also i cannot look at spoiler fotos any more.

What about automatically attaching the gpx file to the

notify email, this would help a lot for FTF-hunting.

greetz

Lemoro

A few minutes ago, I edited a cache of mine, and I did not see the Earthcache checkbox any longer. Was this fixed as well?

Yes - see Nate's notes above:

Earthcache guidelines checkboxes do not appear on edit (reopened to remove from ALL cache types)

Edited by Moun10Bike

When you look up another cacher's profile to see what caches they've found recently, the list displays in the order their logs were written rather than being grouped by date as they were previously.

This is one of those bugs that we keep fixing but then keeps coming back. I've got it entered in the bug queue and we will address it, although I can't see when you'll see the fix on the live site.

My caching partner claims it displays correctly with IE presently, but my Firefox still shows the caches out of date sequence. Not sure if that information will help you track it down, but I hope so.

I can only reiterate what many said in the previous thread.

The copious use of additional whitespace is causing a lot of new line wrapping, that problem is then in turn amplified by the use of what I'd swear is additional leading between lines, which in turn is causing almost all pages to be a good bit "longer" than they were before. Geez, even the little index number boxes on map pages (i.e., "Show Numbers on Map") have more white space than they did before.

From both a functional perspective and a graphics design one - but MOSTLY from a functional perspective, I'd love to see the overall use of text/fonts/whitespace returned to its previous ratios!

I have noticed that formatting is still a problem in the aspect that I have two caches GC1H0X9 and GC1H0YB both posted on the same day. If you compare the two pages one has all the formatting for paragraphs etc while the other lacks it. No matter of changing GC1H0X9 will solve this problem. I have tried to copy paste from one to the other and still get one big paragraph.

Just interesting that two caches released on the same day can be so different.

Thanks

Phil

IN FAIRNESS TO THE “ESTIMATE 3-4 MILLION GEOCACHERS WORLDWIDE”:

Given the quantity and seriousness of the problems related to this release, I think it would be appropriate to post a very visible update on the main geocaching.com page. The majority of users don’t frequent the forums and most of us don’t want to peruse a dozen pages of posts to try to figure out what is going on. An explanation of the problems and a list of outstanding known problems, with progress updates, would be proper. It should also provide instructions on how to report additional problems for those non-forum Groundspeak customers.

Does anyone what to 2nd this motion?

Actually, there are very few "serious problems" that I'm seeing in this thread. I see a vocal minority that "doesn't like" the new layout, but that is a purely subjective and cosmetic issue. Most of the site is working as designed. The few problems that remain will be fixed in due time.

Before this new thread gets too out of whack like the old one did, I'd sure love to see it split up into two threads... Functional Bugs and Visual Bugs and Complaints (or something along those lines)

(PS: Moun10bike... thanks. I'll try to read the post better before I reply next time!)

Actually, there are very few "serious problems" that I'm seeing in this thread. I see a vocal minority that "doesn't like" the new layout, but that is a purely subjective and cosmetic issue. Most of the site is working as designed. The few problems that remain will be fixed in due time.

I suppose that is a matter of opinion. To me, not being able to display maps is a serious problem. At any rate visitors to the website have/will, no doubt, see problems. Keep the customer informed and satisfied.

I have not seen this mentioned yet, either:

The display of an email sent via a cacher's profile is not broken into paragraphs regardless of how it is typed. However, the copy which the sender receives is displayed correctly.

That is a known issue and has been entered into our database. I'll continue to work internally on getting the okay to post a list of current known bugs here in the forums. In the meantime, I'll add to Nate's post as things come up.

..clicking on maps is not working right...

Tried to see where a cache was.....and just got the loading thingy..

Interesting however, you could switch views (terrain, satellite and such) and that worked...just the the caches would not display.

OSX 10.4.11 Safari and Firefox 3.5.7

Edited by JoenSue
Does this mean <blockquote> and cellpadding attribute for tables won't be fixed until next update?

Are you still seeing significant issues with your cache listings? HTML Tidy was updated at the same time as this release (which has unfortunately helped to muddy the waters between what it has changed and what the site redesign has changed). It could be that HTML Tidy is what is responsible for your issues if you still see them; I know that cellpadding was corrected for my own caches (I don't use blockquotes).

..clicking on maps is not working right...

Have you tried logging out, clearing your browser cache, exiting your browser, then relaunching and trying again? Most of the instances of this problem that are coming in to us are a result of browsers failing to properly release old content that they are caching.

I disagree that those of us that dislike the new design are a minority. I haven't heard too many users stick up for the new design, yet.

There's another current thread, titled "Your shoes," where several people have said they like the new design. But it's well-known that most people will be quick to complain, but likely to remain silent when they are happy. I count only a few dozen complaints here. Compare that to the several million users of the website and I stand by my "minority" comment.

I know that cellpadding was corrected for my own caches (I don't use blockquotes).

True, sorry... Only <blockquote> still display a gray background which is not looking good.

Try changing your code to <blockquote style="background-color: [your color choice here]"> and see if that works for you.

I don't see "Fix Ugly" on the list. How are we doing with that?

Used to be a comfortable, friendly place to visit. Now, it's more like waiting in a hospital emergency room.

I'm sorry, but the http://www.trolls-r-us.com/ forums are down the street on the left.

Let's try to stay focused on actual broken functionality issues in here, please.

Thanks you, kind sir. It's nice to know that the opinions of users are held in such high esteem.

Thanks you, kind sir. It's nice to know that the opinions of users are held in such high esteem.

I've asked people before to stick with helpful reports and stay away from less-than-helpful potshots in these threads. Don't act like a hurt puppy.

And I'm quite willing to listen to issues raised in a helpful manner and work to get them fixed, thank you very much.

Just wanted to report that I'm not having any functional issues with the site anymore, for what I've been doing, which is basically just locate caches, download the .gpx files and write logs. Still don't like the change from "mine" to "yours" but I can adapt. The rest of it, visually, I'm gradually adjusting to.

Carry on.

And thanks for taking the time to work through all of this with us.

I still see the wrapped date/time on my/your PQ page. The wrap occurs if the PQ has been run and the date/time is bolded. The non-bolded entries seem to be okay. If the name column was a bit narrower then the date/time column could be expanded to alleviate the problem. This is with todays release.

Jim

I still see the wrapped date/time on my/your PQ page. The wrap occurs if the PQ has been run and the date/time is bolded. The non-bolded entries seem to be okay. If the name column was a bit narrower then the date/time column could be expanded to alleviate the problem. This is with todays release.

Jim

Yes, that was deemed not significant enough to warrant the risk involved in changing the the page layout for today's push. The bug is in the database, though, and we'll fix it in an upcoming release.

I've asked people before to stick with helpful reports and stay away from less-than-helpful potshots in these threads. Don't act like a hurt puppy.

And I'm quite willing to listen to issues raised in a helpful manner and work to get them fixed, thank you very much.

Ah Sorry. We were directed to make all comments here concerning our likes and dislikes to the update. Sorry to hear that we were misdirected. I am truly sorry to hear that so many errors were made in the update that aesthetics are inconsequential.

There's no fixing to be had. If you don't specify a style for it, it's going to display using system defaults. These have changed from what you were previously used to.

While I'm editing all my cache description again, what bugs me is the fact that I was used to edit it in a WYSIWYG HTML editor so what I was getting in my editor matched what I would get here but it's no more the case.

I find some tricks to get around the problems but it's just not user friendly... maybe GS should think about incorporating something like http://www.openwebware.com/ so we could edit in HTML right here.

Harry, you are welcome to express your feelings on the redesign. However, if you just want to grumble, it would be much better if you took it elsewhere than this thread. We're trying to use this particular thread to isolate objective, functional issues that people are encountering with the update.

I'm sorry that you were hurt by my comments; they were meant to add some levity, not insult you.

A minor note for the GC crew.....

On event pages when you go to the drop down box on the logging page and it's default setting is "ATTENDED" instead of "SELECT ONE" which now appears TWICE in this box.

Before an event all of the entries are usually a simple WILL ATTEND or WRITE NOTE in regards to TB drops, RSVPs, etc.

ATTENDED notes are a "once only" type of note and shouldn't be placed so high in priority on the drop down box list.

The original order worked well and I believe it was:

WRITE NOTE

NEEDS ARCHIVED

WILL ATTEND

ATTENDED

Thanks for reading and I know you guys are working HARD to fix all the little things.

Regards,

n6uzs

Edited by n6uzs

Can I ask, with no angst or sarcasm involved, Will there be changes to the aesthetics to address the premium members concerns regarding the less-than-stylish formatting currently being displayed on most all GC.com pages?

I think that the number of people commenting on the "ugly" warrants a reply. If nothing is going to be done to change it to how users would like it, we/they deserve to know. If changes back to a more visually acceptable format are going to be made, a simple nod will probably quiet a lot of the cachers who are upset over the visual changes.

No, I am not trying to cause problems. I just want to know.

Thanks

Yesterday's print but the same page looked the same in Safari a couple minutes before I sent the message. I did just try Firefox however and it is OK.. Maybe messing around with Safari will get it back there too.

What are the chances that all the workaround I'm doing now will still be valid in a few days, weeks with a next update on Tidy (that's how you call it?)

It's insane, I'm playing with <p> and <br> before or after <ul> and or <div> to make it look like before. In the end it don't look good in my editor but it's fine here and I really don't like that because I'm afraid one day you will solve the problem and will revert back to nrmal HTML behavior and I will have to edit everything again. :-/

I think I would prefer you tell me to not modify anything at all and that next week all we be looking just fine like it was before after you tweeked it or removing some severe restriction.

Harry, you are welcome to express your feelings on the redesign. However, if you just want to grumble, it would be much better if you took it elsewhere than this thread. We're trying to use this particular thread to isolate objective, functional issues that people are encountering with the update.

I'm sorry that you were hurt by my comments; they were meant to add some levity, not insult you.

mtn-man closed topic 239955 specifically stating

If you want to reply that you don't like the update, then go to the topic regarding the update please.

Several topics have been closed with that admonition. "Go there to complain." And that is what I did!

Now I am told to go to one of the closed threads? I am very confused!