Pet Pieves

jbravo

Dog poo, people poo, horse poo, and hippopotamus poo, is still poo. All poo breaks down to soil. Nutrient rich, wholesome healthy soil.

Sounds like an excuse someone uses for not picking up after their dog/ horse. :DB)

Ah, now you have done it. You have forced me to reveal my true nature.

My true nature to approach things with logic and not emotion.

The logic is that poo breaks down to soil. The lack of emotion is the fact that I don't own a dog or a horse. So, my opinion is not self-serving.

Take that!

:(

Say that the next time you step on crap and you go in your car then notice you stepped in it.

Watch where you step?

Having said that, I remember when I was about 10... I was skateboarding down my street... skateboard wheel used to be smaller back then and I hit a rock and it threw me off the board onto a pile of dog poo.

I actually puked.

Did I go around demanding people picked up their dog poo and put it into little plastic bags and dispose of it properly? NO

The mere thought of demanding such thing would be ludicrous!

Micro management is not the way to enact laws...

Things that piss me off about my fellow cacher:

CO that haven't done maintenance after 3 months but are caching all the time even after notes and e-mails being sent out for maintenance

People that complain about the coords being off 20ft ya your GPR could be wrong and my coords are good

Leaving caches out in the open or very little cover ya an AMMO can needs more that a ant's butt hair to cover it

Film cans with 5 pages of log sheets and I have to unroll it and flip through the pages to get to the page I need to sign why not leave the page to sign on top so when I unroll it I can just sign and go

Use Stealth O ya I'm on the corner of grand central station and every one and their mother come out of and it''s a namo in the 200 sq feet of low ground cover

The hint "you shouldn't need one" "to easy for one" No your right, I just de-cripted this to be told I'm a moron. You really don't have to fill this one in YOU KNOW THAT RIGHT!!!

A namo in a place where a small cache can go or a old jar of peanut butter could have gone

Caches with no thought in the placement, just throw it out there just to say you have a cache

If there are wild flower in an area please don't put a namo in the middle of them under a rock, when the forest has tons of other spot right next to them.

May sound long, but if people start thinking about life in the we instead of me, I think we all would be better off. Think of that your actions do, the later and not just the now

PS I'm not that grumpy really :D

Dog poo, people poo, horse poo, and hippopotamus poo, is still poo. All poo breaks down to soil. Nutrient rich, wholesome healthy soil.

Sounds like an excuse someone uses for not picking up after their dog/ horse. :D:(

The logic is that poo breaks down to soil. The lack of emotion is the fact that I don't own a dog or a horse. So, my opinion is not self-serving.

Take that!

:D

Say that the next time you step on crap and you go in your car then notice you stepped in it.

Not all poo is "nutrient rich wholesome healthy soil", generally only feces from vegetarian animals is recommended as fertilizer for most plants (and it smells much less).

I think its best to just use a stick and just fling it into the woods off of the trail anyway. B)

Sounds like an excuse someone uses for not picking up after their dog/ horse. :D:(

Take that!

:D

Watch where you step?

Having said that, I remember when I was about 10... I was skateboarding down my street... skateboard wheel used to be smaller back then and I hit a rock and it threw me off the board onto a pile of dog poo.

I actually puked.

Did I go around demanding people picked up their dog poo and put it into little plastic bags and dispose of it properly? NO

The mere thought of demanding such thing would be ludicrous!

Micro management is not the way to enact laws...

So I can let my dog go to your yard and take a big steamer and leave it there and you would say "HUH dog crapped in my yard cool kids watch out of the crap here" and leave it B)

I'm just saying people have to get their heads of of their crappers and think of other people, AS my dad would say the "Hurry for me and F everyone else" attitude

Nobody likes to step in doggie poo but, aside from the smell, it's not much different than mud. Do you freak out every time you accidentally get mud in your car?

So I can let my dog go to your yard and take a big steamer and leave it there and you would say "HUH dog crapped in my yard cool kids watch out of the crap here" and leave it :D

I'm just saying people have to get their heads of of their crappers and think of other people, AS my dad would say the "Hurry for me and F everyone else" attitude

My pet peeve is when someone takes a benign statement and blows it WAY out of proportion and tosses it back as if it's a valid argument.

Sort of like "Little Johnny steals a candy bar from the store and daddy says it's not that big of a deal. Then the store owner retorts with 'Why not lust let him steal a car then?'"

A dog going poo in the forest isn't the same as a dog pooing on your lawn.

Nobody likes to step in doggie poo but, aside from the smell, it's not much different than mud. Do you freak out every time you accidentally get mud in your car?

So I can let my dog go to your yard and take a big steamer and leave it there and you would say "HUH dog crapped in my yard cool kids watch out of the crap here" and leave it :D

My pet peeve is when someone takes a benign statement and blows it WAY out of proportion and tosses it back as if it's a valid argument.

Sort of like "Little Johnny steals a candy bar from the store and daddy says it's not that big of a deal. Then the store owner retorts with 'Why not lust let him steal a car then?'"

A dog going poo in the forest isn't the same as a dog pooing on your lawn.

No it's not the same.

A dog that poos on your lawn is putting it there on display for all the other dogs in the neighborhood to peruse. To remove it, would probably hurt it's feelings.

If it's deep in the woods, it's more out of neccessity than "art". B)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Dog muck / pooh is also one of our pet peeves, we are constantly telling the kids watch where you're walking, watch out for dog muck, mind that dog pooh...realise not necessarily Geocachers dogs to blame it's just the society we live in. We have also come across the little bags just left on the edge of the path or hanging on a bit of shrub growth but there wasn't a bin to dispose of them anywhere.

My peeve is when people think todays society sucks so much more than the previous society, and in this case how some would think that, at one time many years ago, people actually picked up their animals poo.

The #1 reason I don't have a dog in "todays society" is the anal attitude people have about dogs poo.

When I see someone toting a bag of animal fecal matter, I just laugh and think to myself... I will never ever do that.

I will carry lots of things on a walk or a hike but I don't see the value in poo.

I see your point. It would be much better for someone to let their dog infect other dogs and people with their contaminated poop.

Dog feces are one of the most common carriers of the following diseases:

Humans and other animals do not have to come into direct contact with the feces to get the disease. The microorganisms remain long after the feces has deteriorated and can make their way into the ground water.

My pet peeve is threads that get hijacked by dog poo.

Castle you beat me to it!!!

Coming to a thread that I thought would be interesting, only to find out it is a disertation on Poo.

Which poo is hazardous.

Which poo is beneficial.

The art of flinging poo gracefully.

Ummm... guess I'll move along. I dont find poo that interesting.

lol :D

edit to add- I just realized I misunderstood the title. I thought the emphasis was on Peeves... I realize now it was on Pets.

See ya. awwww whats that on my shoe??? Now who left that there???

Edited by NeecesandNephews
Film cans with 5 pages of log sheets and I have to unroll it and flip through the pages to get to the page I need to sign why not leave the page to sign on top so when I unroll it I can just sign and go
When I replace caches, I make a point of leaving the stash note so it is readily visible, just in case the next person to find the cache is a muggle. For micros, that means rerolling the log sheet so the stash note portion is on the outside, which usually puts the next available space on the inside.

wire hangers.... i hate wire hangers!

If you hate wire hangers so much, what do you do with all your wire, just leave it laying on the floor? I always hang mine up to keep it from getting tangled or kinked.

I hate them so much that I dismember them... spray paint .... and then use them to hang cache containers in pine trees.

wire hangers.... i hate wire hangers!

If you hate wire hangers so much, what do you do with all your wire, just leave it laying on the floor? I always hang mine up to keep it from getting tangled or kinked.

I hate them so much that I dismember them... spray paint .... and then use them to hang cache containers in pine trees.

I remember the old days, when wire hangers were useful for opening car doors when you left your keys in the car....back when door locks had knobs on them...before car alarms.

Edited by Triskeles

Here's our list:

1. Cachers who log a find when you know darn good and well that they didn't find it.

2. Going to events and the first word another cacher says to you is "how many finds do you have". Is that all you care about???

3. Cachers with 30 finds that say your cache should be archived because they think it's too hard.

We still love Geocaching and it is among some of many things we do for fun but it seems like the new caching generation has overlooked what caching is really all about. Friendly competition is fun but it seems to be the main focus for so many cachers lately and us veteran cachers just don't get it. Whatever happened to just enjoying the outdoors, being with friends and finding the cache.

Forgot about this thread and a couple weeks ago came up with a couple of pet peeves. And instead of starting a new thread, I'll just add my thoughts here.

1) Incorrect container size: A lot of cachers consider the size of the outside of a container, but few think about what can fit. If it can really only hold a log, it's a micro. A regular is not a coffee cup. I use this information a lot when moving trackables, and when you're expecting a regular an find a small it's annoying.

"My pet peeve - COs that don't invest in the game. They play the game for a week, maybe a month, find no caches or a couple of caches then put out micro caches that cost $0 to create. Promptly get bored and disappear, leaving it up to the community and the reviewer to finally do the archiving."

I don't know that I would call it a 'pet peeve', since I normally think of stroking and petting a pet, but I have noticed that some of the people who complain the most about micro caches are those who have yet to contribute any or very many caches of their own to the sport/hobby. And I would be more than happy to take all the $0 cost micros anyone would like to send my way.

One of the great things about this sport/hobby is that you can pick and choose which caches you want to go after; if you don't like micros, don't go after them. If you know a particular CO hides primarily micros and doesn't list the type of cache container in his/her description...just don't go after those caches; holdout for the ones you know will have lots of 'goodies' you can trade for or, at least, make your search easier.

Something the 'micro haters' apparently don't take into consideration is the time, expense and locations some of these micros will take you to.

I am a MICRO hider!!! And I hide them in hard to find places; so, you'll want to avoid the majority of my caches. Although I do hide small to large caches also, and have hidden caches under two names, most of the caches I've hidden are micro caches. Have only received a couple of complaints by e-mail about them, but plenty of positive e-mails and logs about some of the places my 'micros' have taken them.

If someone wants to supply me with ammo cans, I'll be happy to hide them, once in awhile. But, I'll still stick to the micro as my primary cache container.

"My pet peeve - COs that don't invest in the game. They play the game for a week, maybe a month, find no caches or a couple of caches then put out micro caches that cost $0 to create. Promptly get bored and disappear, leaving it up to the community and the reviewer to finally do the archiving." -- Lone R

I have noticed that some of the people who complain the most about micro caches are those who have yet to contribute any or very many caches of their own to the sport/hobby.

I comment in the forums using my personal account. We have a team account for our hides. We've been hiding since 2002. 36 hides. All caches have swag which we replenish a couple of times a year. No log-only caches. No film canister caches. Most are lock n locks. One is an ammo can. All maintained in a timely fashion.

One of the great things about this sport/hobby is that you can pick and choose which caches you want to go after; if you don't like micros, don't go after them.

I have been forced to filter out micros. Unfortunately that means I miss out on the 2% of micro hides that are placed with imagination/ingenuity/cleverness but so be it. Many micros get listed as small - that irks me, especially when I suspect they were listed that way to avoid the micro filterers.

Something the 'micro haters' apparently don't take into consideration is the time, expense and locations some of these micros will take you to.

What expense? My experience is that people hide film canisters because they cost $0. The CO doesn't even supply a cut down pencil, the paper is usually scrap paper. So there's is no expense to the CO. In terms of time, it surely takes less time to hide a micro, as they will fit in far more places then a regular size cache. It takes more time to look for a good hiding spot for a larger cache.

Sure some of those micros are planted in with care, investment and imagination but 98% of micros aren't planted that way. I'm not going to get to visit the good ones because I've been told... don't like lame micros then filter all micros out.

If you plant micros that are planted because you want to bring people to a nice location that won't support a larger cache, or you hide creative micros that make a finder smile, or laugh, or think "Wow" or "Cool" or "Clever" then good on ya. That's commendable. Keep up the good work.

Edited by Lone R

"I comment in the forums using my personal account. We have a team account for our hides. We've been hiding since 2002. 36 hides. All caches have swag which we replenish a couple of times a year. No log-only caches. No film canister caches. Most are lock n locks. One is an ammo can. All maintained in a timely fashion."

I'm glad to hear your team has hidden 36 caches in the past 8 years. I would imagine if I were part of a team instead of placing all my caches on my own, there would be more caches that were larger than micros, but only those I would have hidden as part of the team. I would still hide the micros. And I can assure you, when I do hide the larger caches they do contain more quality items than I have ever found in similar sized caches.

One of the great things about this sport/hobby is that you can pick and choose which caches you want to go after; if you don't like micros, don't go after them.

"I have been forced to filter out micros. Unfortunately that means I miss out on the 2% of micro hides that are placed with imagination/ingenuity/cleverness but so be it. Many micros get listed as small - that irks me, especially when I suspect they were listed that way to avoid the micro filterers.

I am kind of curious how you came up with the 2% of micro caches that are placed with 'imagination, ingenuity, and cleverness? Haven't seen those figures proposed anywhere else, yet. Not sure why someone would list a micro as a small unless they might be new and don't know the difference. I doubt seriously it would be done to avoid the micro filters. Who really cares if someone avoids your cache because it is a micro? I certainly don't or I wouldn't be hiding them.

You can look up my profile(s) under greywolf1242 as well as Setan Meyacha.

"What expense? My experience is that people hide film canisters because they cost $0. The CO doesn't even supply a cut down pencil, the paper is usually scrap paper. So there's is no expense to the CO. In terms of time, it surely takes less time to hide a micro, as they will fit in far more places then a regular size cache. It takes more time to look for a good hiding spot for a larger cache."

I have hidden very few film canisters. My micros come in all forms, but mostly the empty containers from my diabetic test strips. As far as expense: unless gas has dropped to near zero in your neck of the woods, it is 2.73 a gal around here, higher if not bought locally. None of my logs are scrap paper, although I have seen scrap paper used in ammo can-sized caches also. I've hidden both large and micro caches and they both take about the same amount of time; actually, sometimes the micro can take longer to find just the right spot that will afford the seeker a good opportunity of finding the cache.

"Sure some of those micros are planted in with care, investment and imagination but 98% of micros aren't planted that way. I'm not going to get to visit the good ones because I've been told... don't like lame micros then filter all micros out."

Unfortunately, I've come across just as many non-micro caches that were 'lame', as micro caches that are 'lame'. Not every cache I go after is going to be a 'high-quality' cache and I realize that before ever heading out the door. I guess it depends on your purpose for seeking out a cache.

If you plant micros that are planted because you want to bring people to a nice location that won't support a larger cache, or you hide creative micros that make a finder smile, or laugh, or think "Wow" or "Cool" or "Clever" then good on ya. That's commendable. Keep up the good work.

I'm sure that the majority of my caches, whether micro or ammo can, would hardly meet your high standards of what a cache should be. Perhaps after a few more years, assuming I live that long, I'll adopt the same attitude.

BTW, you can look up my profile(s) under greywolf1242 as well as Setan Meyacha. I take the credit, as well as the blame, for all caches placed under those names.

Edited by Setan Meyacha