Pet Pieves

jbravo

One local cacher that is really into geocoins takes a photo of both sides of a coin, writes down the tracking number and a "discover me" note, laminates then adds it to new caches she places. She calls them "resident geocoins" that can be discovered by anyone that finds the cache. I rarely remember to write down the number and have seen most of the original coins in her collection anyway.
Sounds more like resident proxies than resident geocoins. I enjoy discovering resident geocoins, just as I enjoy helping other geocoins travel. And I understand why coin owners send out proxies. But proxies just don't have the same appeal.

My peeve, is for all the dog owners that used the crap bags but then just throw the bag full of crap into the bush or off to the side of the trail. :rolleyes:

Ive only been doing this for a couple of weeks and have seen this several times. Why add a bag to the trash, just leave the crap, makes no sense.

My peeve, is for all the dog owners that used the crap bags but then just throw the bag full of crap into the bush or off to the side of the trail. :rolleyes:

http://www.ecoproducts.com/Home/home_bioba...bags_doggie.htm

Perhaps?

Maybe I give them too much credit.

Hey that's cool. Never heard of that. Hey, next time you see a bag of crap go pick it up and check...let us know how that works. :anibad: haha

Coordinates for a microcache that are off by 50 feet or more because the owner didn't take the time to measure good coordinates when placing the cache, and then has the nerve to post on the cache description page that "the coodinates are off to make it more fun to find"!!!

Any cache description that says the coords are intentionally soft is summarily dismissed. The cache owner goes on my ignore list as well.

One of our biggest pet peeves is when someone finds one of our caches and thinks that since they found it, it is ok to just toss it back. No mind to the effort it took the hinder to place their cache the way it was found. Respect is something that should be a given when it comes to other peoples cache. It is something that they should not have to say at any time, on any post. Another one of our pet peeves is when we are looking for a cache and other cachers show up and act like you are stupid. Just because someone has been at it longer doesn't mean they are more qualified to find a cache, no matter the level of difficulity.

Notice the title - "Pet Pieves." Do you notice anything about this? It's misspelled. It's supposed to be "Pet Peeves." Often misspellings are part of a puzzle; but more often than not, they are due to laziness of the cache owners when posting a new cache. Misspellings are not really one of my big pet peeves of Geocaching...but I do have some I'd like to share. If everyone worked more on the quality of existing caches, then I think the positive experience of geocaching is increased greatly. New cachers are able to log finds and experienced cachers are able to grow as well.

Here are some of my pet peeves - feel free to add your own so I can be sure to avoid them when hunting or placing caches!

1) Puzzle caches: When you set up a puzzle cache based on math that requires a specific solution, make sure your description is intelligent, specific, and error-free. If it is not error-free and the error is reported to you, FIX IT and move on. No one is perfect, but it's foolish to refuse to change a math error just because "other people haven't noticed it."

2) Cache owners: If someone posts a log asking for help, RESPOND to it! You may politely decline to help, but I think it is rude (or lazy) to just ignore their post for months on end. It appears that you are uninterested not just in your own cache, but in those hunting your cache. Everyone gets busy from time to time, but if you have too many caches to maintain at a high standard, maybe you could offer to give some up for adoption.

3) Vandalism: Now that I've started placing my own caches I have noticed how quickly my caches can become vandalized. Guys really...this is embarrassing to the geocaching community. It's almost a guarantee that when a cache is placed that the surrounding 10-15 foot area will be completely demolished within the week. I'm not sure if it's because people are just not careful with their environment, having prior experience in which they had to muscle-off a cache lid. But I think we need to practice a hands-off approach to caching at first. If we can't find it by simply using our eyes, then maybe we can start prodding and prying gently to see what gives.

Be sure to give you input on these and add your own so we can all try to avoid the rude/destructive/frustrating pet peeves!

Hey! What do you guys feed your peeves? Mine is looking rather malnourished.

A large dose of angst and whining. :shocked::)

Well then, I've come to the right place.lol.gif

Puzzle Caches are not for everyone some are easy some are not. If you are good with Google it will help you figure them out.

Each cache owner is different so some will answer questions some will not . I think it rude not to but that is only my opinion. They may have there on reasons on why they don't. That is there right.

Vandalism has not been a problem other than a Red Tail hawk thinking my Plastic Rubber rat was next on his meal menue when he grabbed my cache and took it for a joy ride. Never trust birds of prey. If you have vandalism problems you might want to re think where you placed your cache. :huh:

:):shocked:

Coordinates for a microcache that are off by 50 feet or more because the owner didn't take the time to measure good coordinates when placing the cache, and then has the nerve to post on the cache description page that "the coodinates are off to make it more fun to find"!!!

Seen That before sometimes you just need to get to the spot or area and look around. Your geo senses will kick in and you will find the cache. 50 feet is a lot if it in the thick of the woods not so much if it is urban cache. Besides you have alot of Nubies out there with there new toys thinking it would be fun to place a cache. Right now nothing is place for when you can start placing caches and I think that should be addressed.

My biggest peeve is cache owners who don't correct their coordinates even though they KNOW they are wrong! We have one local cache that was placed THREE months ago, and still hasn't had a find because the coordinates are so far off that no one has any idea where to go. Even the cache owner stated in a log that the coordinates are VERY wrong and nowhere near the posted coords. Three months later and a note to the reviewer and still nothing has been done. That's my peeve for the day!

Well My pieve is Hunters!!!!

Dont get me wrong I like to fish and hunt.... But Me My family and a close friend took a short road trip (about 50 miles) to the LBJ Caddo national grasslands near Decatur Texas. There were several ammo boxes stolen with the cache contens just dumped out at GZ. Then we happen to walk up on a Man that was hunting. Now keep in mind that this area is public land, We found our cache (one of the three that no longer had there Ammo boxes) and proceded to return to our car. This cache was a multi-cache that required a hike of just over a mile. As we made our way back we passed the hunter who informed us he was calling the Game Warden for the area because we were harrasing him. We tried to explain and apologize but he was just P.O.ed at us and the world for his unsucessful hunt.

Was I in the wrong???? I don't think so but well I'm not sure....

AlfaMale Sdrawkcab

Hey! What do you guys feed your peeves? Mine is looking rather malnourished.

A large dose of angst and whining. :huh::)

Well then, I've come to the right place.lol.gif

Puzzle Caches are not for everyone some are easy some are not. If you are good with Google it will help you figure them out.

Each cache owner is different so some will answer questions some will not . I think it rude not to but that is only my opinion. They may have there on reasons on why they don't. That is there right.

Vandalism has not been a problem other than a Red Tail hawk thinking my Plastic Rubber rat was next on his meal menue when he grabbed my cache and took it for a joy ride. Never trust birds of prey. If you have vandalism problems you might want to re think where you placed your cache. :laughing:

Um...OK... :shocked:

:):shocked:

Seen That before sometimes you just need to get to the spot or area and look around. Your geo senses will kick in and you will find the cache. 50 feet is a lot if it in the thick of the woods not so much if it is urban cache. Besides you have alot of Nubies out there with there new toys thinking it would be fun to place a cache. Right now nothing is place for when you can start placing caches and I think that should be addressed.

Errors are one thing. Intentionally misstating the coordinates to "make it more fun." is a whole other ball of wax. COs like that go right on the ignore list. Intentionally bad coordinates do not make a lame hide clever.

Dog poo, people poo, horse poo, and hippopotamus poo, is still poo. All poo breaks down to soil. Nutrient rich, wholesome healthy soil.

Sounds like an excuse someone uses for not picking up after their dog/ horse. :ph34r::ph34r:

Ah, now you have done it. You have forced me to reveal my true nature.

My true nature to approach things with logic and not emotion.

The logic is that poo breaks down to soil. The lack of emotion is the fact that I don't own a dog or a horse. So, my opinion is not self-serving.

Take that!

:blink:

I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread so I will give it a go. Horses, etc. only eat grasses and grains so their poo breaks down quickly into stuff that looks and acts like dirt. Dogs, cats and people eat meats and their poo takes much longer to break down and doesn't look and act like dirt for a long time in comparison. This is the most common reason I have seen as to why land managers are happy to have horses, etc. and not dog, etc. roaming their lands.

Cache owners who delete logs and give no reason.

Thats happened to me last year and just this month.

I got the notification of deletion but no reason from the CO. I changed the logs to a simple "Thanks" and that was satisfactory.

Did you email the CO and ask?

Yup, no response.

Sent emails 3x each

I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread so I will give it a go. Horses, etc. only eat grasses and grains so their poo breaks down quickly into stuff that looks and acts like dirt. Dogs, cats and people eat meats and their poo takes much longer to break down and doesn't look and act like dirt for a long time in comparison. This is the most common reason I have seen as to why land managers are happy to have horses, etc. and not dog, etc. roaming their lands.

Define a long time...

Dog poo, people poo, horse poo, and hippopotamus poo, is still poo. All poo breaks down to soil. Nutrient rich, wholesome healthy soil.

Sounds like an excuse someone uses for not picking up after their dog/ horse. ;):)

Or not picking up after themselves, perhaps? :huh:

;):ph34r:

Moderators (not forum mods) who ignore your questions/requests or if they don't ignore you, they take action without any notification or clarification. Who knew trying to adopt someone else's cache would be so damned needlessly difficult?

What other kind of moderators are there in geocaching? ;)

And all the info you need about cache adoption is right here in the knowledgebase.

Edited by wimseyguy

Any cache description that says the coords are intentionally soft is summarily dismissed. The cache owner goes on my ignore list as well.

Bittsen gives me a lot of reasons to disagree with him, but on the particular point I enthusiastically agree with him.

....3) Vandalism: Now that I've started placing my own caches I have noticed how quickly my caches can become vandalized....

Now that you see how finders treat your caches, can you factor this into future hides? My pet peeve is owners who upon learning this change nothing about thier hides.

I've factored this into PAST hides by moving the one cache that kept getting vandalized to another spot at the same coords and changed the difficulty. I agree with your peeve and would further add that a peeve is for people who refuse to change their caching approach when their approach is clearly against common practice.

My peeve, is for all the dog owners that used the crap bags but then just throw the bag full of crap into the bush or off to the side of the trail. :)

Oh yeah. That's worse than just leaving it lie. At least if it's left to sit there it will, eventually, become soil.

I remember the good ol days when you didn't have to bag doggie poo. After all, a main component of soil is poo.

My Pet Peeve regarding Pet Poo is that society demands that we treat dog poo like a bio-hazard, but (legally) a big shovel full of horse poo on a trail is perfectly acceptable. I guess the horse lobby has deeper pockets than the dog walkers lobby.

Step on some horse manure (composed mostly of fiber) with one foot, then go step on dog feces with the other.

Now, take a sniff and tell me dog doo is no worse than horse manure.

I would imagine that it is the same every where, but here in my area there seems to be a large amount of trackables that are taken and not logged or even dropped off and not logged. I have a Travel Bug find that says I took it from someone in Alaska and put it in a cache in Oregon 2 days later. (Never been to Alaska)

Edited by hayemaker

My peeve, is for all the dog owners that used the crap bags but then just throw the bag full of crap into the bush or off to the side of the trail. :D

That is just irresponsibledog owners :D Most of us put the poop bags into another plastic bag and dispose of it when we get home. I don't even put it in public trashcans.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

My peeve, is for all the dog owners that used the crap bags but then just throw the bag full of crap into the bush or off to the side of the trail. :D

That is just irresponsibledog owners :D Most of us put the poop bags into another plastic bag and dispose of it when we get home. I don't even put it in public trashcans.

Colleen Mills

digitalgoddess

Is it better for excrement to be rotting naturally and becoming part of the dirt, or better for it to be liquifying in plastic bags in a land fill? I see the point about stepping in it though. That's why I favor the stick method -- use a twig/small branch to launch it off-trail into the woods (watch out for bushwacking cachers :D).

Dog muck / pooh is also one of our pet peeves, we are constantly telling the kids watch where you're walking, watch out for dog muck, mind that dog pooh...realise not necessarily Geocachers dogs to blame it's just the society we live in. We have also come across the little bags just left on the edge of the path or hanging on a bit of shrub growth but there wasn't a bin to dispose of them anywhere.

Is it better for excrement to be rotting naturally and becoming part of the dirt, or better for it to be liquifying in plastic bags in a land fill?

I asked that exact question recently, while conferring with a representative of our state water quality department. He said "It's better to put it in the landfill."

Not just for aesthetic reasons, either. The nutrients (nitrogen and minerals) as well as the bacteria create problems when they enter a watershed.

He also had a few words to say about people who apply too much fertilizer to their lawns... which is nearly everyone around here. He urged us to get our soil tested and only add fertilizer as needed. The excess ends up in the lakes, where it causes algae blooms that kill the fish.

Dog muck / pooh is also one of our pet peeves, we are constantly telling the kids watch where you're walking, watch out for dog muck, mind that dog pooh...realise not necessarily Geocachers dogs to blame it's just the society we live in. We have also come across the little bags just left on the edge of the path or hanging on a bit of shrub growth but there wasn't a bin to dispose of them anywhere.

My peeve is when people think todays society sucks so much more than the previous society, and in this case how some would think that, at one time many years ago, people actually picked up their animals poo.

The #1 reason I don't have a dog in "todays society" is the anal attitude people have about dogs poo.

When I see someone toting a bag of animal fecal matter, I just laugh and think to myself... I will never ever do that.

I will carry lots of things on a walk or a hike but I don't see the value in poo.

My peeve is when people think todays society sucks so much more than the previous society, and in this case how some would think that, at one time many years ago, people actually picked up their animals poo.

The #1 reason I don't have a dog in "todays society" is the anal attitude people have about dogs poo.

When I see someone toting a bag of animal fecal matter, I just laugh and think to myself... I will never ever do that.

I will carry lots of things on a walk or a hike but I don't see the value in poo.

Hmmm I just thought of a brilliant idea! how about dog owners pay a $100 "poo fee" when they license a dog and people who turn in little bags of poo get a 25 cent return when taken to a "poo station" to be disposed of?

you know! like homeless people collecting bottles and returning them to get money for... full bottles.

People who don't pick up their dogs poo get nothing but hey! they paid a hundred bucks so their dog could poo as normal and not have to tote it out!

The $100 per dog fee could be used to pay those "poo pickers" 25 cents each or could be used to pay city employees to pick it up or as someone else suggested "take a stick and fling it into the bushes"(my favorite idea)

I don't recall people picking up dog poo when I was younger and I don't recall it being a problem.

We just watched where we stepped... I guess that's too much to ask these days... :D

Hmmm I just thought of a brilliant idea! how about dog owners pay a $100 "poo fee" when they license a dog and people who turn in little bags of poo get a 25 cent return when taken to a "poo station" to be disposed of?

you know! like homeless people collecting bottles and returning them to get money for... full bottles.

People who don't pick up their dogs poo get nothing but hey! they paid a hundred bucks so their dog could poo as normal and not have to tote it out!

The $100 per dog fee could be used to pay those "poo pickers" 25 cents each or could be used to pay city employees to pick it up or as someone else suggested "take a stick and fling it into the bushes"(my favorite idea)

I don't recall people picking up dog poo when I was younger and I don't recall it being a problem.

We just watched where we stepped... I guess that's too much to ask these days... :D

Great idea in theory... but I could just see a homeless person using the system by dropping a deuce and turning in their own fecal matter. Lol... I would hate to be the person handing out the dough for poo collection. Lots and Lots of hand sanitizer.

Man, given that option-I'd pay the $100 and never worry about poo cleanup.

Sounds like an excuse someone uses for not picking up after their dog/ horse. :DB)

Ah, now you have done it. You have forced me to reveal my true nature.

My true nature to approach things with logic and not emotion.

The logic is that poo breaks down to soil. The lack of emotion is the fact that I don't own a dog or a horse. So, my opinion is not self-serving.

Take that!

:(

Say that the next time you step on crap and you go in your car then notice you stepped in it.