Are Geocachers like Star Trekkies?

cestos73859

Cachers are not, I repeat, NOT, like trekkies.

I am sorry, but I have gotten quite a ration of crap from my friends who think I am an uber-nerd for geocaching. Those friends, of course, are only the ones that HAVEN'T come caching with me yet, haha. The ones that have, are all converts.

Trekkies watch a TV show. Cachers explore places they have never seen, solve puzzles, hike, swim, dive, climb, repel, and look absolutely ridiculous at times to find some crazy fake treasures. Sounds pretty different to me, and the sills learned while geocaching (using a compass, GPS, following trails, etc) can actually have some pretty good use in muggle life.

Which leads me to my next point, people def think we are nerds for using fricken Harry Potter slang in our hobby, lol.

I was talking to a friend of mine last night and I mentioned that I was waiting for warmer, drier weather so I could do a little more geocaching with my kids. This got into a long discussion of how he thought that geocachers were like Trekkies (Star Trek fans) and were geeks with a passion about that one thing but didn't do anything else - especially outdoors!

I tried to argue that geocaching was a great compliment to any outdoor activity and mentioned it worked great for me for camping, hiking and going to the lake. He didn't think that applied to the masses so I thought I would post and ask:

What other outdoor activities do you do besides geocache?

If so, which of these other activities do you do and geocache as part of it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

As a family that like to go for walks try keeping the kids amused if there not looking for tresure. the thought of a box full of stuff has got my 6 year old thought many amile of moor land lol

Like another poster here, I started this to get out of the house, and get my family out from in front of the computers, gaming consoles and tv's in the house. I personally drive a computer all day at work, and was driving another all evening at home. At least this electronic gadget gets me out, and makes me exercise. My wife has really taken to it as well, which is a good bonding thing for us. (After 14.5 years, those are nice to stumble upon.) Plus, I get to teach my kids about being outside, (I got to point out some trees that beavers had been chewing on the other day....) and about nature in general. When I was their age, I was out all day long, running around in the woods that surrounded our home. My kids, on the other hand, didn't even know what a sticker bush was until the other day, because they've never had the opportunity to learn. A lot of the guys I work with (who are all fairly tech savvy...) kinda cock an eyebrow and chuckle when I tell them what this is. But, the up sides for me personally, and for my family as a whole FAR FAR outweigh any ribbing I take for it.

And, most trekkies I've known over the years would rather die than stick their hand into a filthy, half rotten tree stump that you have to reach through a solid foot of thorns to get to. Lay in a muck filled ditch to see what is inside the culvert? Huh? To us, these are the fun parts. Plus, looking at the "View From the Cache" thread, we see views they could never compete with. The inside of a convention center, no matter how much like the bridge of a space craft, can not compete with the scenery in that thread.

Not to mention, the "uniform" we wear is completely built for function, and will not usually target us as someone to take lunch money from. :):D

Later!

Not to mention, the "uniform" we wear is completely built for function

What sort of REI catalog models do you cache with? :rolleyes:

Most cachers I know dress like homeless people to go cachin'. <_<

ALL of my cachin' clothes started life as normal clothes that I ruined while cachin'. :rolleyes:

Exactly. When I've come home with my clothes all torn up and filthy, my wife would ask "where the heck did you go hiking?" I've also caught a ration of s___, whenever "I ruined a brand new pair of shorts." :D

Exactly. When I've come home with my clothes all torn up and filthy, my wife would ask "where the heck did you go hiking?" I've also caught a ration of s___, whenever "I ruined a brand new pair of shorts." :)

That's a good point. You almost have to dress like you are going out to dig for truffles or something. I remember I tried to cache on my way home from a function where I had to wear slacks and dress shoes once. Couldn't find the cache but wouldn't give up and went traipsing through some pretty dense brush keeping more of an eye out for poison ivy than for the cache. Finally gave up and came back later with better clothes for the situation.

I guess if I had been a Star Trek fan, that would have made my green makeup run! :D

I was talking to a friend of mine last night and I mentioned that I was waiting for warmer, drier weather so I could do a little more geocaching with my kids. This got into a long discussion of how he thought that geocachers were like Trekkies (Star Trek fans) and were geeks with a passion about that one thing but didn't do anything else - especially outdoors!

I tried to argue that geocaching was a great compliment to any outdoor activity and mentioned it worked great for me for camping, hiking and going to the lake. He didn't think that applied to the masses so I thought I would post and ask:

What other outdoor activities do you do besides geocache?

If so, which of these other activities do you do and geocache as part of it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Why not combine the two? Look at GC1J6X6 . You need to speak Klingon to find it!

Unknown Cachenuq 'oH yas Qapla'!

Blue_eagle

I walk (both in the flat countryside and up mountains), rock-climb and ride both mountain and road bikes, and I combine geocaching with all these activities.

I also travel around the country alot for work, to watch motorsport and to Morris dance (a traditional English Folk dance) and regularly stop off on my travels to find caches in new places.

I've also found caches whilst boating and off-roading with friends.