Mountain Biking

gobikenz

Hey there,

I would like to combine my mountainbiking with my geocaching so I am looking for MTB specific caches.

Is there any way to filter them from the website?

I appreciate that I could ride to many of the existing sites but would like to venture a little further knowing that I can ride to the hide.

I found two in the Redwood Forest (Rotorua) while browsing but did not record the GC reference.

Cheers,

gobikenz

Hi,

I can't offer you much other than thought. Wouldn't it be good if people had named their Mountain Bike Caches with a tag in the name such as "White Forest MTB Cache" or "Little Island MTB Cache". It might be worth encouraging cachers in your area to do this.

Another thought; when I started caching down here in Invercargill, there were only about ten caches. I've set ten myself and since I've been setting them, another twenty have been placed by others.

My point is this; if you set some MTB type caches and others enjoy them, they might also place some of their own.

You could team up with another MTB rider and take turns to set caches or even introduce your local MTB club to Geocaching?

Hope this helps in some way!

Kind regards

tokalosh

Hey there,

I would like to combine my mountainbiking with my geocaching so I am looking for MTB specific caches.

I appreciate that I could ride to many of the existing sites but would like to venture a little further knowing that I can ride to the hide.

I found two in the Redwood Forest (Rotorua) while browsing but did not record the GC reference.

Cheers,

gobikenz

Hi,

I can't offer you much other than thought. Wouldn't it be good if people had named their Mountain Bike Caches with a tag in the name such as "White Forest MTB Cache" or "Little Island MTB Cache". It might be worth encouraging cachers in your area to do this.

Another thought; when I started caching down here in Invercargill, there were only about ten caches. I've set ten myself and since I've been setting them, another twenty have been placed by others.

My point is this; if you set some MTB type caches and others enjoy them, they might also place some of their own.

You could team up with another MTB rider and take turns to set caches or even introduce your local MTB club to Geocaching?

Hope this helps in some way!

Kind regards

tokalosh

I have every intention of making a geocache out at the Sandy Point MTB..... unless of course someone else beats me to it! A good old fashioned multi to take you all over the tracks I think!

Hey there,

Cheers,

gobikenz

There is no specific way of labeling a cache as MTB friendly.

If you become a Premium member you will be able to do Pocket Queries (PQ's). These are a much more sophisticated way of searching.

If you look at this cache GC1M03M A Knob's View on a pylon road in Wellington, you will see in the top right "Attributes" (under the map).

In the cache in question there are attributes for "Bike" and "Significant Hike". There are also available attributes for things like "4WD". You can build PQs to show you caches that have combinations of these attributes--that might find you some caches you could treadle to.

But then again, some cache setters aren't too flash at giving their caches good attributes.

Cheers