To proxy, or not to proxy?

tachoknight

Hi all-

As a late Xmas present to myself, I picked up a few coins from TheCachingPlace (Pocket Decoder) and the Astrolabe coins from coinsandpins (via email). I also placed an order for the new Scavok coins back in November or whenever it was and, while they haven't shipped yet, I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival.

The issue I have is that I am torn, as I suppose a number of people are, about collecting them and sending them out. So many of these coins are such exquisite works of art, and, surprisingly, somewhat fragile, to the point where, even if I did put them in caches, they might not survive years of movement from cache to cache, etc. Add in the possibility that they'll disappear for whatever reason and the outlook for a long-lived fancy coin seems rather bleak.

Plus, when I showed them to the wife and kids, they really like playing with them (which I suppose could be more punishing than simply sitting in a cache somewhere :P) and asked to *not* put them in a cache.

So I have these coins that are trackable, fragile, and, to be frank, somewhat coveted. On the other hand, I'd like to put more items out in the wild as I love the *idea* of coins and TBs. The coins and TBs we've released so far haven't done much mileage, sadly, so I figure that releasing more will at least increase the chance that something will travel.

I was thus thinking of doing the whole proxy thing, but I have mixed feelings about it; I move proxies like regular coins, especially the ones that are replacements for coins that have been lost, but this would not be the same thing; the coins are safe-n-sound at home, while the laminated sheets are the items actually seeing the world. Everything we've released so far, BTW, has been the "real" thing; I was only thinking of proxying the coins that have moving parts.

Some people seem bothered by proxies, some not. I've found proxies with cards that essentially say "I don't trust you with the real thing", while others say "I wanted to keep this coin moving even though it's physically gone".

What do other people think about this quandary? I've seen a lot of beautiful coins posted as pics on the forums, but never seem to find them in any caches (though I know that's likely just an effect of localized caching). For those folks who have nice coin collections, do you have them out in proxy form? I was thinking that it would at least help out the icon-hunters (of which I'm one) to have the proxies available if for that fact alone.

So far, I've only put out proxies to replace coins that have been missing over 1 year. I try to make these proxies something special - some object to represent the coin plus a laminated photo of the actual coin with a travel buddy tag attached explaining why the "coin" is now a proxy. So far, they seem to be moving (with one exception) as well as my coins do. I also highly recommend putting "proxy" in the name of the coin if you opt to go that route.

As to my more fragile coins, like a pocket decoder that I would never send out, I just take it to geocaching events and allow cachers to discover it.

I think Tsun said it on another thread - you will never be able to please everyone with whatever choice you make so it is just better to try and please yourself. If people get upset by your proxy then that is their problem. I have no doubt they'll get over it. :P

You will have some come on here and say they hate proxy coins. I have actually heard where they have thrown out the proxies. Some will say they don't mind it if you clearly state it is a proxy in the title.

For those particular coins that you mentioned they will be "lost" very quickly and may not even make it to the second cache. That would mean you are supporting someone else's collection. I think The Peters Trio have given great advice for the best of both worlds if you even want to activate them at all. Take them to events and show other cachers so they can discover them.

You will have some come on here and say they hate proxy coins. I have actually heard where they have thrown out the proxies. Some will say they don't mind it if you clearly state it is a proxy in the title.

Right, I'd definitely include "proxy" in the title

For those particular coins that you mentioned they will be "lost" very quickly and may not even make it to the second cache. That would mean you are supporting someone else's collection. I think The Peters Trio have given great advice for the best of both worlds if you even want to activate them at all. Take them to events and show other cachers so they can discover them.

I thought about taking them to events, but I don't go to a lot of events. :P I am more addicted to, if anything, the travel; nothing is more exciting to me than a coin or TB that has 5 figure mileage and has been to places I've never even heard of. I have moved a couple of proxies that have huge numbers and I interpreted the description of it as saying that the real coin had *never* been released in the wild, so I figure there is some hope for me in this area. :)

Edited by tachoknight

Right, I'd definitely include "proxy" in the title

I thought about taking them to events, but I don't go to a lot of events. :P I am more addicted to, if anything, the travel; nothing is more exciting to me than a coin or TB that has 5 figure mileage and has been to places I've never even heard of. I have moved a couple of proxies that have huge numbers and I interpreted the description of it as saying that the real coin had *never* been released in the wild, so I figure there is some hope for me in this area. :)

Yes keep the actual coin at home and sent out the proxy. The proxy can always be replaced cheaply. Or even use a TB for that purpose with a picture of the coin. LOL I've found that even pictures of something on a TB get stolen too.

I have mixed feeling myself about proxies. I LOVE finding the actual coin in a cache, but having released so many coins and watching them slowly disappear I understand why someone would want to NOT release one. I will move a proxy, but given the choice I choose the actual coin. I do have one proxy out there, but that is one someone replaced a missing coin for me. Anyhow... if you are not willing to part with the coin, or you think it will break out in the wild, do release the proxy. I would like to see what the coin looks like, so I would also make sure there is a good picture of it.

Personally I decided to leave proxies since caching is about the enjoyment of finding and sharing and not about padding a collectors book. I think thepeterstrio said it best and like them I try to make the proxy something special. I’ve gone to great trouble to make them feel and look like a real coin and I mark them as Proxy in the name so there can be no confusion. As for someone throwing them out, sad really sad since a proxy is no different than a TB. Don’t worry about those who get upset, let them stew, at least you won’t be stewing when one disappears; a proxy is easy to replace.

I've got no issues with proxies; I completely understand why you wouldn't want, as Da_Muggle says, to enlarge someone's collection.

You might want to search through for threads titled "proxy" or "proxies" to find out some techniques for making high-quality proxies (IIRC, one cacher glues a washer between the photos of the coin so that it has a heavy heft, and then puts it in a plastic coin holder). That way, you're not just sending out a laminated piece of paper -- you're actually sending out something coin-like.

The other thing I wanted to mention is a suggestion that if you send out an actual coin, that your coin page says something like "this is an actual coin, not a proxy" (or something to that effect). Coin thieves have been known to replace actual coins with proxies with the owner none the wiser until some proxy-hater leaves a post saying something like "I don't move trash" (or whatever anti-proxy invective strikes his/her fancy at the time). If you mention that the coin is real and the cacher finds a proxy, it's more likely you'll be contacted.

I found a couple of the fancier C&P Navigation coins in a paddle cache... I was SHOCKED that somebody would release them. We picked them up (my bf retrieved them) and having them felt like such a huge responsibility, much more so than regular coins, he held onto them for a long time looking for the right (secure enough) cache to leave them in (I'm not sure where he ultimately left them) but I would be very afraid to release nice coins like this. I'd say bring them to events to be discovered and enjoy them in your collection.

If you want to release proxies, make em nice, something people will want to move. I've made proxies of coins that went missing, but instead of a laminated sheet of paper, I turned them into travel bugs, attaching a toy to it, and giving a toy-related mission. Before he closed up shop CM, was selling a blank travel bug tag you could sharpie the tracking code onto. People might be disappointed they don't get to see the coin, but in the end, you can't please everyone, as Peter's Trio said above. You did pay for the tracking number, and it's your choice to use it. I'd just make it something fun that people will enjoy moving, and you will enjoy watching. And make the name something that indicates it's not the coin.