Confess Your Sins

bflentje

Last night I loitered in a No Loitering Zone. (I feel so unclean!)

Waow! Caches in da UP, eh! I need to return to Eagle River one of these days. Loved that place when I was a kid.

DW, I hope you do get to visit Eagle River again. Da UP has many interesting and challenging caches that are off the beaten path and many and are in very scenic areas. Thanks.

Let's see...

1) Pee'd on a frozen matchstick in a knothole to free it :)

2) Have a yellow jeep TB with 0 miles :D

3) Have got heads up on new caches that would be publishing soon :D

4) Went into parks after hours on more than 1 ocassion :huh:

5) Rehid a cache a lot harder than I found it :D

and the worse.....

I stole some swag from my own daughter that she has got from caches to add to my own personal collection of swag stuff :D

Forgive me Father bflentje, for I have sinned.

While caching on March 17, 2010 at 23:58:19 Arizona time, I was pictured by photo enforcement traveling 57mph in a 45mph zone.

jq41up.jpg

I have completed traffic school and paid my dues and debt to society. However, I have guilt. ;)

While caching on March 17, 2010 at 23:58:19 Arizona time, I was pictured by photo enforcement traveling 57mph in a 45mph zone.

jq41up.jpg

I have completed traffic school and paid my dues and debt to society. However, I have guilt. ;)

Was it for a FTF and if so was it worth it? ;)

Was it for a FTF and if so was it worth it? ;)

No, it wasn't a FTF. I was just out doing my typical middle of the night caching.

Forgive me bflentje, for I have sinned. In 2004 or 2005, I posted a find for not only the famous "four windows" virtual cache, but also the "what in the world" virtual cache in Maine. Both were designed to be armchair caches.

What is an armchair cache?

A cache you can find 'from your armchair' without having to actually go and visit the location.

I also entered a park at night after it was closed for a FTF.

This is what I am looking for.. those of us who generally speaking follow the rules but every once in a while get lead astray by something as simple as a FTF.

Like parking illegally, despite signs threatening towing, to go find a benchmark?

Forgive me bflentje, for I have sinned. In 2004 or 2005, I posted a find for not only the famous "four windows" virtual cache, but also the "what in the world" virtual cache in Maine. Both were designed to be armchair caches.

A cache you can find 'from your armchair' without having to actually go and visit the location.

The "What in the world" says you have to have a picture of you at the location... How can that be an armchair?

Oh GeoCache Gods...please be gentle with me....

Picture this...newbie cacher...less than 20 caches....excited to find a really tricky one....posted picture of the magnetic bolt on the log of the cache and made the CO REALLY angry with me....I immediately deleted the picture and promised to manage my excitement much more closely from then on.....

may as well get this off my chest....logged a smiley without signing the log from a cache that was at least seven feet up on a telephone pole....I am so sorry but I had left my stilts home that day....stupid...I know....

Made 13 year old son take off his shorts and wade through waist deep water in his red boxer shorts to get our first FTF....he refused to let me take a picture of the cache find in action....I only took a picture of his shoes and shorts on the bank.

replaced a clear broken smashed cache container with an extra green Diamond nut can that I had with me and forgot to tell the CO and the post still shows it as clear....I should tell him now...but, I haven't....

put my footsteps in the sand walking away from my cache hides to freak out fellow cachers that may follow behind me...

ARGHHH....me thinks I may have more sins than listed here....how am I going to sleep tonight?

Oh GeoCache Gods...please be gentle with me....

Picture this...newbie cacher...less than 20 caches....excited to find a really tricky one....posted picture of the magnetic bolt on the log of the cache and made the CO REALLY angry with me....I immediately deleted the picture and promised to manage my excitement much more closely from then on.....

may as well get this off my chest....logged a smiley without signing the log from a cache that was at least seven feet up on a telephone pole....I am so sorry but I had left my stilts home that day....stupid...I know....

Made 13 year old son take off his shorts and wade through waist deep water in his red boxer shorts to get our first FTF....he refused to let me take a picture of the cache find in action....I only took a picture of his shoes and shorts on the bank.

replaced a clear broken smashed cache container with an extra green Diamond nut can that I had with me and forgot to tell the CO and the post still shows it as clear....I should tell him now...but, I haven't....

put my footsteps in the sand walking away from my cache hides to freak out fellow cachers that may follow behind me...

ARGHHH....me thinks I may have more sins than listed here....how am I going to sleep tonight?

My brother and I have invented a fictional character who I feel a little guilty about. The character is a geocacher called "Cache Chucker." When Cache Chucker finds a cache he signs the log and throws or chucks the cache as far as he can while yelling "Cache Chuckerrrrrrr." Then when he logs the cache he writes "Another cache found by Cache Chucker." If some disgruntled cacher did this they could wipe out the caches in any town. I feel dirty for putting words to these evil thoughts.

My brother and I have invented a fictional character who I feel a little guilty about. The character is a geocacher called "Cache Chucker." When Cache Chucker finds a cache he signs the log and throws or chucks the cache as far as he can while yelling "Cache Chuckerrrrrrr." Then when he logs the cache he writes "Another cache found by Cache Chucker." If some disgruntled cacher did this they could wipe out the caches in any town. I feel dirty for putting words to these evil thoughts.

I'll tell ya...

There have been a few caches that Cache Chucker was tapping me on the shoulder to see. I've yet to turn one over but there are some I'm tempted to give him.

Forgive me father for I have sinned. Just the other day, I entered a park after hours and was even late for work, due to it taking longer to find the cache than I thought it would, but my greed and pride wouldn't let me stop looking, all because I was worshiping a fake God. The FTF God.

And I have sinned as well...ahhhhh

-figured the posted sign was leaning a little to the left, and the path was a little to the right....so convinced my pure mind that it was okay. :P

-once had my friend sign my name on the log while I watched him climb and posthole in three feet of snow up a mountain for about 300 feet. :D

-signed a log with a stick

but feel that most of my sins have been forgiven since once I logged that I found a cache. And thought I really had, but turns out the cache was an ammo can and the log I signed was inside a thermos bottle very near GZ. So I deleted my found status and am on a mission to climb 3000+ feet again to the summit of that mountain to sign the real log. :)

Went out and replaced an adopted hide after a NM log and confirming that it was indeed missing, only finding out later that the cache had been "re-hidden better" less than 10' away.

Is this the place to also mention harassing holders of Coins & TB's?

Because after four or five months, my polite inquiries about a traveler may cross the line of political correctness...

Edited by SkipHerr

I murdered an innocent... sprinler head.

I had zeroed in to the GZ and I tapped what looked like a fake sprinkler head and it moved. It was loose so I was able to remove it from the ground with a gentle tug. It came out looking exaclty like a container. I pulled on the look alike container and wet sprinkler innards were inside. Me and Dad cracked up. I wonder if the lawn care people will hear reports of a geyser sighting?

I did find the cache so its all good :laughing:

The "What in the world" says you have to have a picture of you at the location... How can that be an armchair?

Whoa. Lots of references to me in this bumped thread!!!

The owner of What in the world was forced to change the wording on the cache page. It absolutely used to say that he didn't care if you found the answer on the internet, and never visited the site in Maine. When I have time, and if I remember, I'll edit this post with a historic internet archive snapshot of the web page from a few years ago.

Seeing as I'm here, I have two more confessions from the last month or so:

1) I went "Power trail" caching for caches with copy and-paste cache descriptions placed every 600 feet along a rural bike trail. In my defense, they were all smalls and regulars, with a variety of hiding methods.

2) I pretty much loathe the whole "FTF" thing. But I was accidental FTF on a cache near my work. There was an envelope with an FTF prize in the cache. I took it. I figured it would be rude to leave it there though, who would want that if they weren't "FTF"?

Forgive me for i have sinned, i haven't stolen a cache per say, but i did take an ammo can of my friends that is now a cache. But i left a 20 in its place, and knowing his garage its probably going to be years before he notices it is missing, and finds the 20. I feel guilt even though we visit the surplus store monthly.

Forgive me forums

At first I was sure I was free of sin but reading further I was reminded of one of my worst sins.

IMPROPER ACCESS

I do not have a vehicle for most of my caching adventures so I sometimes find myself walking in pedestrian hostile areas without sidewalks or shoulders. I have crossed a bridge with a no foot traffic sign. I have climbed fences around parking lots to avoid walking a thousand feet to a vehicle entrance to get at a skirt lifter twenty feet away.

Can I be forgiven for walking to a PnG?

Edited by Cliff's Notes

Bless me Father bflentje for I have sinned.

I have taken apart a sprinkler head (and couldnt figure out how to get it back together)

Twice I have traded unfairly. Once because I really needed that cable for my GPS that was in that cache. I left lots of little stuff because I didnt' have anything big to trade. I have left really nice things many times in hopes of helping my karma. If I ever cache in that town again I will stop by and leave something nice in that cache.

I logged the four directions or four corners cache, or whatever it was called. Just because two thousand other cachers did it does not make it right.

And I logged my ex-boyfriends name (who was my boyfriend at the time) on a cache when he wasn't there. I didn't want to do it but was under duress at that time. He didn't want me to get ahead of him in my count. He's the one who said this was not competitive.

But really father, I have tried to be a good cacher.

I have never hidden a LPC or any micro for that matter.

I have added clean dry paper to caches (I even carry waterproof paper that I use)

I have even attended a CITO and plan to attend more soon.

And I have never peed on a cache like someone else admitted to. When I am searching for a cache, and "cant' wait" I make sure I am very far from GZ.

Edited by Sol seaker

Following my actions this morning I need to confess.

I do not expect to be forgiven as I am feeling no remorse or regret.

I stole a cache.

GC16XR3 is no longer. It was the first cache we ever found. I have told the story before but it bears repeating here.

The cache is located in the alley behind our home. Placed by a Scout who no longer lives in the area, after seeing countless strangers pull up by our side yard fence and look for something, we finally managed to trap a couple who explained what they were doing and introduced us to Geocaching. We have enjoyed having a cache close enough to watch. The Owner has long since quit the game, so we unofficially adopted the cache, and have been keeping it up.

Yesterday evening after going out to dinner, my wife and I came home to find our landscape lighting along the fence of our side yard completely destroyed. All the fixtures were pulled from the ground, broken open, and scattered about.

A neighbor I spoke with this A.M. said he saw two people looking at them, but thought one of them was my son. My son does not play the game.

The cache had somewhat "soft" coordinates which I was unable to change, as I was not the owner, and a hint that stated "look under the light". It was actually hidden at the base of a power pole with a security light on it, in the alley. The cache description stated clearly the cache was not on someone's property.

I have removed it, sent emails to Groundspeak, and the Reviewer in my area, and logged a NA on the listing page.

I can only hope the people who did this return as they did not find the cache. I would love to chat with them. :)

I must confess...

Last night, while on a brief hike in Toro County Park (Monterey County, CA) I was hiking down the Wildcat Canyon Trail and was hemmed in by Poison Oak across the trail.

I picked up a fallen branch and threw it on the PO, pinning it to the ground and away from the trail so I may pass unscathed. That poor PO is left to grow out around that branch.

Don't worry about the plant being rare or endangered, we're having a bumper crop of it this year and it is EVERYWHERE!

I thought this thread was supposed to be funny. There is nothing funny about some of these confessions. Destroying sprinkler heads...stealing travel bugs... Don't do that!!! It is in no way funny or acceptable.

Here is your penance : Pay the owners of the sprinkler head to replace it, and get that stolen travel bug back in the game and appologise to the owner!

I've been contemplating violating that holiest of holies:

Logging a find on my own cache! :)

No, I'm not talking about one I adopted, nor is it a mobil cache.

As a Rep for the FGA, I was tasked with helping gather swag and hide caches for a 3 day event.

At the last minute, I found I couldn't attend.

I was able to get all my swag to another attendee, but that's as close as I got.

I begged the other reps to pretty please hide at least one ammo can in a swamp.

They sent me coords, but no hints, and asked me to write it up.

I opted for a whimsical write up, since I've never been within 30 miles of ground zero.

I figure, at the very least, I need to go lay hands on it, so I can evaluate it for any potential problems.

I thought about logging a find when I do just to torque off the purists. :lol:

Will The Church of Bflentje forgive me? :)

As a Rep for the FGA, I was tasked with helping gather swag and hide caches for a 3 day event.

I was able to get all my swag to another attendee, but that's as close as I got.

I opted for a whimsical write up, since I've never been within 30 miles of ground zero.

I figure, at the very least, I need to go lay hands on it, so I can evaluate it for any potential problems.

I thought about logging a find when I do just to torque off the purists. :lol:

As long as you state your case in your log, you should be good (according to my interpretation of the Geobible).

Forgive me bflentje, for I have sinned.

I have coveted my neighbors' cache location (because it was so beautiful and cool).

I have coveted my neighbors' GPSr (and his convertable).

I have been in numerous places that I should not have been after authorized hours (while geocaching... and while doing things much naughtier :) than geocaching).

I once lied to the military police and told them that I was looking for a specific 20' storage container serial number in a limited traffic area on Bagram Airbase in Afghanistan, when I was really geocaching.

Edited by lil_cav_wings

Bless me Father bflentje, for I have sinned. *makes sign of the GeoGod in front of myself*

In no particular order, I have:

-Felt keen and unrelenting jealousy over the number of hides belonging to local cachers.

-Been frustrated enough by certain puzzle caches to beg for hints and/or solutions. With tears and quivering lip.

-Taken my GPS' name in vain. In front of others. A lot.

-Held onto a TB a liiiiiitle too long, but did get back out into the wild with an apology.

-Been night caching in a park that was technically closed.

And yea though I walk through the valley of bouncy signals and lame cache placements, I will fear no evil. Amen.

I recently went looking for a cache but not from the recommended direction. Along the trail I looked back and noticed a No Trespassing sign marking where I had just come from. Oh well... If I had to go back the same way I would have gone by it. Another area I frequent has many No Trespassing signs but by creative avoidance I can get to where I want to go. If the sign is blocking me straight ahead I go 90º left to an area that's not marked and work around it.

I muggled a cache I couldn't find myself.

After 30 minutes or so of failing to locate a cache, we went to a playground about 50 yards away to enjoy the beautiful day. Then we saw some 'cachers looking for the same cache, only they were at the wrong tree. We watched them for some time, chuckling that they couldn't find it either...until they did. We waited for them to leave before running over to where they had put it back, then we logged the find. This was all confessed in the log, and why do I feel it was right? Turns out the CO went out and MOVED the cache (explaining why the others found it in the "wrong" tree) to make it more secure. Timeline: Saturday morning I downloaded the cache info into my GPS, late morning CO decides to move it and change the coordinates, at noon and with the new coordinates the other geocacher's locate moved cache. We had old information, despite it being just hours old!

Muggled or earned, I'll take the smilie thank you.

Ok I admit that recently I got a smug little grin on my face when I found a difficult cache in about 5 minutes and a cacher who came after me with over 1000 finds couldn't find it after a concerted effort. Bad me!!

Of course this only just evens out the horror and embarrassment I feel when a cache I have searched for on numerous occasions is found by a newbie cacher with a log note of, "Quick, easy find!" :)

Guess that is just a little example of cosmic karma at work. :)

I thought this thread was supposed to be funny. There is nothing funny about some of these confessions. Destroying sprinkler heads...stealing travel bugs... Don't do that!!! It is in no way funny or acceptable.

Here is your penance : Pay the owners of the sprinkler head to replace it, and get that stolen travel bug back in the game and appologise to the owner!

NOPE.. the original post was dead serious. It's just that some people have no guts to list their real sins so made a mockery of the topic instead. But I've come to expect such behavior here..

I thought about logging a find when I do just to torque off the purists. :)

As long as you state your case in your log, you should be good (according to my interpretation of the Geobible).

Stop your blasphemy. I happen to be the father in this topic.

In the beginning was The Thread. And It Was Good. A Good Thread. Started by BFlentje, Starter of All Good Threads. Well, Most Of Them. OK, Some of Them. One. You Get the Idea, Anyway, So Leave Me Alone! And He doesn't even wear a Blue Bow!
In the beginning was The Thread. And It Was Good. A Good Thread. Started by BFlentje, Starter of All Good Threads. Well, Most Of Them. OK, Some of Them. One. You Get the Idea, Anyway, So Leave Me Alone! And He doesn't even wear a Blue Bow!

False thread starter! False thread starter! Burn him! Burn him!

Anyway - I guess this was meant to be serious, and I try not to take too much too seriously*, so I'll Bow out. :)

* (except when I fail, which usually happens in the political threads)

Edited by Sioneva

I hiked over a mile to a cache and found it and the description promised a veiw - which I DNF - so I scaled the fense of an old rusty fire tower - climbed it carefullly and got a nice picture from up there. That was a little risky but the metal frame work under the rotten boards was very strong. I was a bad boy and would do it again! Not that ashamed of it.

I have commited the most common cache sin of logging finds where I did not sign the log. Usually it was an issue with the condition of the log or the cache in general, but sometimes I have not signed simply because I forgot a pen. But I have never logged a find where I did not actually find the cache so I have no guilt because I know have been truthful in my finds, even if I didn't follow the exact letter of the rules.

But I do have a more serious cache sin: I unintentionally contributed to the short lifespan of a local cache. I was inexperienced (maybe 40 finds?) and the cache was very near my home. But it was a 4 star cache involving an unknown container hidden in a large quantity spanish moss hanging from a tree (later revealed by the CO to have been a bison tube painted a similiar color as the moss - and I am told some moss was also glued to the container itself to make it uber-camo'd). The cache only lasted about a week before being archived due to the amount of damage to the moss. I think I was caching beyond my skills and will likely skip any mossy caches in the future for fear of damaging them via my poor searching techniques. I'm pretty certain other cachers also contributed to the damage but I felt terrible about it when I saw it was archived and why; I still feel bad about it. :rolleyes: I have not met the CO but if I do in the future I would really like to do something to apologize to them for it. Suggestions for how to atone for this sin are appreciated.

I muggled a cache I couldn't find myself.

Not sure if it qualifies as a sin, but I muggled a cache once:

My wife & I hit the forest in search of a string of new hides from a devious hider. We saw someone at the southern end of the string, so we opted to head to the northernmost one and work our way back. We got roughly to the center, finding the cacher we saw coming in had just arrived. After searching for what felt like a week, a couple other cachers join us and I quit hunting, CITOing instead, picking up gobs of beer cans and bottles. Digging deep into the underbrush, I found an old metal chef's cart, with vines growing through it. I muscled it out, tossing it in the back of my truck, then went back to hunting. Eventually, I quit again, and go back to CITOing. After what felt like a few more weeks, I leaned against my tailgate to take a water break, glance up at the chef's cart and see a Mr Blinkie stuck to it. "Doh!" I sheepishly told the rest of the searchers that I knew where the cache was, and for reasons unknown, they opted not to pummel me with deceased lemmings. :rolleyes:

Stop your blasphemy.

False prophet! Let's get the infidel! ;)

Suggestions for how to atone for this sin are appreciated.

Three "Hail Signals", and a gift of an ammo can should suffice. :unsure:

I have a Red Jeep Travel Bug hanging off my bulletin board above my computer in the our den.

I will release it when all the other Jeep TB's (white, yellow, green and red) are released by all the other geocachers who have decided to keep them as souvenirs.

I don't feel an ounce of guilt over this.

I have a Red Jeep Travel Bug hanging off my bulletin board above my computer in the our den.

I will release it when all the other Jeep TB's (white, yellow, green and red) are released by all the other geocachers who have decided to keep them as souvenirs.

Let he who is without sin cast the first Jeep TB.

Do we have any Wiccans aboard? I'm thinking there must be a spell for this. Cast away!

I will release it when all the other Jeep TB's are released by all the other geocachers who have decided to keep them

Are you planning on logging the TB, or are you too ashamed to let the communinty know which one you're hoarding?

Re: logging the TB: Let me think about that. No.

Re: shame: Shame is an unhappy emotion invented by pietists in order to exploit the human race.