Confess Your Sins

bflentje

Ever knowingly trespass (NOT including implicit permission hides please) but didn't care? Ever steal someone else's cache? Armchair virtual? The Church of Geocaching is now open for business. Confess your sins here. As long as you repent, NO ONE in this thread will blast you.

I challenge everyone to use all their powers, vested by the geocaching gods, to keep this thread sane and friendly, for you are now in the house of geocaching worship.

Ever knowingly trespass (NOT including implicit permission hides please) but didn't care? Ever steal someone else's cache? Armchair virtual? The Church of Geocaching is now open for business. Confess your sins here. As long as you repent, NO ONE in this thread will blast you.

I challenge everyone to use all their powers, vested by the geocaching gods, to keep this thread sane and friendly, for you are now in the house of geocaching worship.

Forgive me bflentje, for I have sinned. In 2004 or 2005, I posted a find for not only the famous "four windows" virtual cache, but also the "what in the world" virtual cache in Maine. Both were designed to be armchair caches.

Additionally, also in like 2005, I posted an additional "attended" log for a temporary cache at an event. In all three cases though, this stuff has long since been self-deleted. :P

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

There is a park that has a pretty extensive hiking trail network, as well as some areas for families with playgrounds, picnic shelters, ball fields, etc. The hiking areas can contain some rough terrain and beautiful scenery. Well, except for one corner of the woods that had apparently been used as a dumping site for tons and tons of broken glass bottles. We're not talking about a drinking party site-this was just a huge amount of glass. Well the trail ran right through the area and the park had posted huge red signs where the trail passed through: "KEEP OUT: EXTREME DANGER". It was only about 30 yards between the signs and I didn't want to backtrack to avoid the area, so I just hiked through. The trail wasn't dangerous, just the areas along the trail, but I still felt guilty ignoring the signs, haha. Turns out the trail didn't lead to the cache anyway, as I was not accounting for a huge cliff that wasn't noted on the map... Oh well, it was a nice view.

Forgive me bflentje, for I have sinned. In 2004 or 2005, I posted a find for not only the famous "four windows" virtual cache, but also the "what in the world" virtual cache in Maine. Both were designed to be armchair caches.

Additionally, also in like 2005, I posted an additional "attended" log for a temporary cache at an event. In all three cases though, this stuff has long since been self-deleted. :P

These are not sins my son. Go forth and cache, and return when you're ready to confess your real sins.

I actually do still feel guilty about this...there is an evergreen tree cache near where I work and back in my early caching days, while not being able to find the cache, I spotted a small bird's nest that almost looked fake. I thought, "A ha!" and when I touched it, it fell to the ground and I discovered that it wasn't a fake nest. There were no eggs in it or anything but still...

:P

Forgive me Father bflentje, for I have sinned. When my GPSr readings were bouncing all over the place or I couldn't find a blinkie I have used the following words: @*&!, *%#$! and &*@!$%&*@#! (Time I got a really bad case of Poison Oak I said $%& @#**^% $&!@#*@&%!!!, though I thought that was justifiable.)

I have also hidden a couple of Bison tubes in HUGE parks, but who wouldn't?

Yesterday I broke the First Commandment of Geocaching: "If you don't sign the log you get no smiley." :P I had bushwhacked 350 feet into a thicket and found the container, which was intentionally placed 40 away from GZ, only to find that I could not open the container. It was one of those imitation Lock 'N Locks with only two fasteners but was sealed up tight as a drum. Rather than bushwhacking out, riding my bike home, grabbing my gadget knife, biking back and then bushwhacking in again, I left a sig. item under the container and described the container to the cache owner. I am still guilt-ridden about giving myself a smiley though. Can I be saved?

Edited by Hoosier Ranger

I admit to logging the 4 Windows virtual many years ago. :P

Also, back when the Skysite program was going on I drove through some oil fields in west Texas to recover the units. The gates were open though, so I'm not sure if I was tresspassing or not.

I lost the lid to a film can a couple of weekends ago. It was an inner container though, so I don't think it'll get wet. My bad. :)

Have you been ordained by Sioneva? Otherwise she might be forced to excommunicate you...

Forgive me, bflentje, for I have sinned. I logged a find without signing the log. Cache is missing, difficult puzzle, took photos for owner and all, owner says to go ahead, and said he may not replace cache. But doesn't alter the fact that I have sinned.

I don't have any other grievous sins, but give me time. I'm still fairly new.

Edit :

So, at the end of this exercise, can we have a list of major sins that require the ritual sacrifice of an ammo can to absolve, and of minor ones that require only the mutilation of a film canister?

Edited by Chrysalides

Forgive me Father bflentje, for I have sinned.

The stats on my profile page read, "Knowschad has 4443 Finds on 4403 unique Geocaches". I blame a local cacher whos name starts with a "D" and ends with a period. She told me it was OK. She's from Wisconsin, where, I understand, they sin in that way quite frequently.

I also have put out (let me see... one... two...yeah, two...) two blinkie caches.

I took apart a real sprinkler.

Yep...I have done that...but I did put it back together... :P

I broke a light sensor on a sign once...but I blame the abnormally cold day for the abnormally brittle plastic that the sensor was made out of...(I did find the cache about 3 inches from the sensor)...

Tresspass...yeah...it was in a park after hours...I didn't find a cache (already had them all)...but I was with some cachers that needed the caches in the park...but it was only that one time...I swear (or at least that I know of)...

Personally stolen a cache...yes...but at the request of either the cache owner (I think about 5 times or so)...or the law enforcement officers that saw me at the cache (twice...maybe three times...I need to think about that one)...and a couple irritated neighbors to were caches have been placed (twice...once in Minnesota...the other in Wisconsin)...

Sorry, no armchair caches for me...

The stats on my profile page read, "Knowschad has 4443 Finds on 4403 unique Geocaches". I blame a local cacher whos name starts with a "D" and ends with a period. She told me it was OK. She's from Wisconsin, where, I understand, they sin in that way quite frequently.

I also have put out (let me see... one... two...yeah, two...) two blinkie caches.

Oh yeah... let me add that I cached with ArcherDragoon once, and he is a terrible sinner.

Ha...my ratio is much higher than that!!!

Forgive me Great bflentje for even a n00b can have a filthy in the place where a clean should be.

I have dallied too long in a park past closing time. The park staff had mercy for me and left the gate unlocked with a note on my windshield asking me to please pay more attention to the closing times, and to please make sure the gate was closed when I left. This has caused me to examine the way I cache and to be desirous of positive change.

I have also cursed Magellan when the blame rested clearly on my own shoulders.

I feel better now.

Let they who are without sin cache the first stone.

Oh yeah... let me add that I cached with ArcherDragoon once, and he is a terrible sinner.

Me?!?!?!

Now who was the one that threw a prefectly good cache to the ground?!?!?!

:P:):)

(and would not have made the find had it not been for this ArcherDragoon sinner)

Forgive me Great bflentje for even a n00b can have a filthy in the place where a clean should be.

I have dallied too long in a park past closing time. The park staff had mercy for me and left the gate unlocked with a note on my windshield asking me to please pay more attention to the closing times, and to please make sure the gate was closed when I left. This has caused me to examine the way I cache and to be desirous of positive change.

I have also cursed Magellan when the blame rested clearly on my own shoulders.

I feel better now.

Let they who are without sin cache the first stone.

Mainly for buying a Magellan...

:P:):)

I hereby, therefore, thou art, grant absolution to all those sinners to this point, here to. To be forgiven, give me 6 hail Minnesota's, 4 circles around the geocaching beads, and sin no more. Go forth and cache, and be nice in the forums.

6 Hail Minnesota's

-Go Twins!!!

-Go Vikings!!!

-Go Wild!!!

-Go Timberwolves!!!

-Go Lynx!!!

-Go Vixen!!!

I blame a local cacher whos name starts with a "D" and ends with a period. She told me it was OK. She's from Wisconsin, where, I understand, they sin in that way quite frequently.

We do not! Ok, I do not. D**. might. :P

Oh, and forgive me Father for I have sinned.

I admit to

Two arm chair virts

One or two after-hours park visits

No stolen caches, but I have re-hidden one MUCH better than it needed to be

Stumbling on and snipeing an entire series of caches before they were published

Making an intentionally mis-leading phone call to confuse and slow down another FTF hunter

Edited by Team Black-Cat

I'm pretty sure that this is a sin because at the time, it was fun:

I confess that I have, believe it or not, actually drank to excess to the point of becoming intoxicated.

And for that I am truly repentant. :P

I have done a few other things in my time that I'm fairly certain were sins. I am, however, not telling you people about them. :)

And yes, I do have guilt. :)

Edited by Team Cotati

Unfortunately, just this past weekend I trespassed onto someone's property and had to crawl through barbed wire to do so. I was near the end of an almost 7 hour trek through brush and a steep climb up the west side of Harrison Mountain in the San Bernardino Mountains and was dehydrated (lost a water bottle) and near delirious at the time (serious) ... plus it was beginning to get dark. I was so wiped out that I figured if I got shot by the owner I would have considered it a mercy killing. I was able to climb up a canyon wall to get myself off the property before being noticed. I generally follow the rules, etc but this time my options were limited. If I had tried to get out the same way I came in, maybe I would have had to spend the night there. Overall, it was fun ... lol. Oh, and I never was able to reach the cache at the summit.

I've been locked into a parking lot and had to call 911 to get someone to come open it. :) Twice. :)

Once it was private property next to a county park. The other time it was a town park that said the gate would be closed at "dusk". Both times the police were delayed in coming to help because more important stuff kept interfering. :P But I had a good time talking to the dispatcher, and both times when the cops finally came they were very helpful and friendly, contacting the appropriate people with no questions or lecutres. :D

Oh, also... I don't think What in the World was "designed as an armchair cache", but since you've unsinned I guess it doesn't matter. :P

Forgive me father bflentje for I have sinned.

I have broken the commandments of geocaching

I have logged a cache that I did not find.

I have committed at least 5 acts of being in a park past hours (maybe more than 10)

I have lusted after other cachers caches as well as other cachers

I have (sort of) trespassed.

I have placed a lame cache

I have taken satisfaction in knowing cachers could not find my cache

I have taken apart a real sprinkler head

I have asked for, and received, a dead giveaway on a cache I couldn't find on first try

I have deliberately not logged one or more DNF attempts

I have gone after a FTF for no other reason than to deny someone else the FTF

I have allowed my name to be signed on a cache when was not near the cache container or log.

Though I have made these offenses seem worse than they truly are, I am a sinner and need absolution.

Trespassing? We'll there was a cache behind posted signs that told me to keep out and warned of impending danger. I probably did not set a good example for my daughter on that day. Then there was a cache in a foreign country that I really wanted to find because it would make for an interesting log. The area was temporarily closed but a short climb, a hop over the fence, a bit of stealth while someone biked down the path, and then a quick find. My wife told me that the person across the street seemed amused but I paid for it by catching my pants on a bit of barbed wire as I hopped back over.

Have I learned my lesson? Well there is a currently active cache behind posted no trespassing signs that I declined to seek. So perhaps. But I also think of what Woody said when he saw a sign that said no trespassing - on the other side it didn't say anything and that side was made for you and me. So I seek no absolution.

Edited by Erickson

Bart, You need to visit this cache we placed some time back.

GC1NWXB

I need to gather up the secrets that people have already placed in there, but want to wait until there are more finders. Otherwise, the chances of them remaining completely secret? Not so good. ;)

And forgive me, but there were several canoe caches for which I never left the kayak to pen the log, others did so on my behalf. I think that's because most of those in the group told me to just stay put before I spun my kayak yet again! :)

I have already atoned, however, because I missed the event this year when my grandson had the audacity to be born that weekend. I found each and every new one the old fashioned way....and I confess...it was FUN!!!

Edited by Trekkin' and birdin'

Forgive me, for I have not physically signed a cache due to a lack of writing utensils, wet logs, and in one case, a swarm of ants and still got my smiley. I love to beat other cachers to FTF's, and then gloat about it. And my worst, my cache GC224A1, A Crash Course in Landscaping, I intentionally left out a coordinate checker so I could see them all squirm. I might have to confess again, because I am still enjoying it!

Can I add some more sins, Padre? The more I read this thread, the more sins I remember committing. But I don't want to add thread hijacking to that list. I could just edit my original sin post, I suppose, but who ever goes back and reads edited posts, anyway?

I have sinned by signing the lid of a cache once after finding only that and scattered swag

I have sinned by placing a "throwdown" cache without sufficient evidence that the real cache was actually missing.

I have used "phone-a-friend" more times than I will mention here.

I have bushwhacked when I knew that I could have stayed on the trail.

I have received solutions to puzzle caches by one who told me, "mum's the word"

I once had a skirt lifter cache for a short time. True, it was quite different from most, but it was in a store parking lot without explicit permission.