Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coggins

GPS recommendations

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on GPS units for our church camp outdoor adventure program.

Would most likely want to get between 10~15 student units and a pair of instructor units, with the student units being basic models and having more advanced features for the instructors (as they will most likely be used also in other off camp activities, so auto routing on those would be a plus).

Looking at staying within the same series by the same manufacturer, with a couple of options/price points to consider.

Activities TBD, but could include basic GPS use, land navigation, geoboxfinding, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by coggins

Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on GPS units for our church camp outdoor adventure program.

Would most likely want to get between 10~15 student units and a pair of instructor units, with the student units being basic models and having more advanced features for the instructors (as they will most likely be used also in other off camp activities, so auto routing on those would be a plus).

Looking at staying within the same series by the same manufacturer, with a couple of options/price points to consider.

Activities TBD, but could include basic GPS use, land navigation, geoboxfinding, etc...

Thanks in advance.

I think you might consider the Garmin etrex line. Quite small physical size and lots of variety. Here is their USB etrex lineup, a few key features and suggested prices from garmin.com

eTrex Vista® HCx $ 299.99 USD Magnetic Compass, altimeter, automatic routing, microSD card slot, color screen, 1000 waypoints

eTrex Legend® HCx $ 249.99 USD Automatic routing, microSD card slot, color screen, 1000 waypoints

eTrex Summit® HC $ 229.99 USD Magnetic compass, altimeter, color screen, 500 waypoints

eTrex Vista® H $ 199.99 USD Magnetic compass, altimeter, greyscale screen, 1000 waypoints

eTrex Venture® HC $ 169.99 USD Color screen, 500 waypoints

eTrex Legend® H $149.99 USD Greyscale screen, 1000 waypoints

I'm sure you can do better pricewise than those Garmin numbers. Check out their site and come back again if you have more questions.

I think the Garmin Venture HC has the best combination of price and features. You don't want to go with the basic eTrex H because the computer connection is serial, so you then need to worry about buying a serial to USB adapter. It's easiest if all units use the same connection.

You can usually find the Venture HC for under $120 if you shop around.

If your group is a non profit, perhaps if you contact Garmin you can negotiate a better price than you can find on the market.

You don't want to go with the basic eTrex H because the computer connection is serial

I didn't even list the eTrex H for all the very good reasons we point out here all the time.

Yes I think the eTrex Venture® HC would be a good choice for the "student units", but what about "a pair having more advanced features for the instructors?" (approximate quote)

As much as I like a Magnetic Compass, it could be a confusion factor for some users. That said, I think the eTrex Legend® HCx would be an appropriate "auto routing" instructor unit. But you have to buy extra map software or mapping pre-loaded to a microSD card to make the Automatic routing happen. You also have a Topo Map purchase option available.

Any follow up Brian?

Thanks for the replies, yes a non profit group that takes low-income inter-city families and kids and provides them with (what is for some) their first experiences in the mountains. I have a couple of eTrex units myself and was hoping to get some other opinions, so that I don't end up biasing based on my past use alone.

I've been teaching geocaching with students for more than five years. I get one shot with these kids during their residential outdoor education experience. I have only three hours to teach them to use the unit, send them out searching and provide closure. It is a very popular lesson.

I use Garmin Rino110. I may have heard they are being discontinued. I just ordered 20 in June without a problem. I love these for the walkie talkie feature. Since I do not go with each group, it's important that I am able to contact them and vice versa. There was a learning curve with the walkie talkies. All of the kids want to chat with each other, but that makes the radio page pop up and it will say 'Blue Updated' or something on the screen every now and again. My rule, that is described in a very serious tone, is that the walkie talkie is for emergencies only. Someone on your team needs an Epi-pen, inhaler, there's blood squirting or bones sticking out. They giggle but I proceed to tell them that geocaching is a geogame that sometimes gives the athlete 'geowounds' (scrapes, bumps, bruises...). This sport is not for geowimps and I don't tolerate geowhiners. The geowounds are proof that you played hard. I reinforce with 'If you call me on the walkie talkie, my next call is 911'. It puts it in prospective. I probably won't call 911, but they will think twice before saying 'You want fries with that?' on the radio.

Having that walkie talkie feature gives them a sense of security. It also helps me because I can call them back or get a message to them quickly.

I have this teaching geocaching thing down to 'a science'... Literally. I'm an environmental and outdoor educator with a public school system. Must meet state objectives and county criteria!!

Questions? Need more ideas or advice? Message me. I surely don't mind sharing if it means someone else won't have to survive the trial and error I did!