Your Shoes

knowschad

While surely decisions made by someone at Groundspeak are behind this poorly implimented upgrade, and I'm sure there will be some rather unpleasant meetings behind closed doors once this is done, I do want to say that I sure do appreciate the help of all you lackeys and volunteers that are taking the reports, checking them, reporting them to the developers, and those developers that I'm certain are working some serious overtime trying to straighten things out! Hang in there, guys & gals! (and I do hope that those behind the decisions that caused this do learn from your pain!)

PS: All this "Your stuff"/"My Stuff" um... stuff... in my opinion is ridiculous. (Just because Yahoo came out with "My Yahoo" so many years ago that few can remember doesn't mean that "Your Yahoo" is somehow wrong!)

PS: All this "Your stuff"/"My Stuff" um... stuff... in my opinion is ridiculous. (Just because Yahoo came out with "My Yahoo" so many years ago that few can remember doesn't mean that "Your Yahoo" is somehow wrong!)

Sorry to bring it again, considering it has been thoroughly discussed in other topics, but I couldn't resist...

I would say what is truly ridiculous is someone waking up one morning and deciding: "I will issue an order to change from "My" to "Your" in the website. Question is: Why? Nothing better to do or think about? Why people in charge tend to change things which OK, running smoothly and with no complains, is a big mystery for me. Why risking the (bad) reaction at all? That is the ridiculous thing in the process.

Sorry to bring it again, considering it has been thoroughly discussed in other topics, but I couldn't resist...

I would say what is truly ridiculous is someone waking up one morning and deciding: "I will issue an order to change from "My" to "Your" in the website. Question is: Why? Nothing better to do or think about? Why people in charge tend to change things which OK, running smoothly and with no complains, is a big mystery for me. Why risking the (bad) reaction at all? That is the ridiculous thing in the process.

I dunno... why don't you ask Frinklabs? :P

Maybe Groundspeak is trying to pull a New Coke here. I dunno... personally, I don't care for the new changes, but I have to question myself how much of it is just the human desire to cling on to the old and familiar, so I'm giving it some time. I'm more worried about the slew of new bugs.

I haven't been here long, obviously. This is the first major UI change I encountered. How did previous changes go down with the community?

I don't know, after the changes I'm not sure if "your" shoes are the ones that I put on every day or if they are somebody else's.

My/Yours isn't exactly keeping me up at night. The inconsistent usage across the website (on a single page) is a little bit of a confidence shaker, however.

I'm pretty sure that all things will work out in the coming days. The people working on this are much better at it than most.

Maybe Groundspeak is trying to pull a New Coke here. I dunno... personally, I don't care for the new changes, but I have to question myself how much of it is just the human desire to cling on to the old and familiar, so I'm giving it some time. I'm more worried about the slew of new bugs.

I haven't been here long, obviously. This is the first major UI change I encountered. How did previous changes go down with the community?

Were you around when they switched to the geocaching.com Google maps? May not have been quite as much of an uproar as this, but it wasn't very pretty.

I can just imagine the uproar we'd have if instead of all this whitespace, they had redesigned the site to look like this: http://web.archive.org/web/20050118083704/...geocaching.com/

Edited by knowschad

I really don't mind the layout changes to the site. I think it could use a few tweaks but overall looks ok to me.

Thanks for all the long hours guys!!

Yes, thank you.

I also don't mind the changes.... that much. :P

I can just imagine the uproar we'd have if instead of all this whitespace, they had redesigned the site to look like this: http://web.archive.org/web/20050118083704/...geocaching.com/

Ahh. Looking at that familiar old page was like a stroll along the street of my hometown. Fun, but I am glad I don't live there anymore. :)

Were you around when they switched to the geocaching.com Google maps? May not have been quite as much of an uproar as this, but it wasn't very pretty.

Ahh. Looking at that familiar old page was like a stroll along the street of my hometown. Fun, but I am glad I don't live there anymore. ;)
Actually, your particular hometown looked even bleaker back when you were a kid: http://web.archive.org/web/20030124110717/...geocaching.com/

Woah, dude! There's that neon kelly green background! ;) Aaah, good times, good times. :D:)

Edited by Ambrosia

Woah, dude! There's that neon kelly green background! ;) Aaah, good times, good times. :D;)

Just look at all that green space. You could get lost wandering around in there. :)

I wish I could look at the old site but I guess GS does not want me to, can't get them to load. or is it they

Well the old site is at the Internet Archive. Wayback Machine. See if you can look at the GS home pages using these links.

Wonder why you cannot see them.

Edited by TheBeanTeam