where are the rules?

scrapes

Thanks for the guidelines for hiding caches, what other guidlines are there? You hide 'em I find 'em? Simple.

I do the trash out thing, quietly go about my search, sign it, hide it as I found it, and log it? I'll be a member shortly too.

Checking out GSAK, learning about my GPS, and having fun. thanks

'Rules' seem to imply a competetive activity where this is a little more passive, they use guidelines. Guidelines for the forums are at the top of any forum thread or page. Guidelines for hiding a cache

I'm not sure of any guidelines for hunting caches other than the local laws. Have fun and be safe.

Sure, there are guidelines for hunting caches. Some are written down on the Groundspeak site, some are mostly conventions. For example:

You must sign the physical log, to log the cache as a find online.

trade up, or trade even (if you take something from the cache)

Asking for hints for puzzles in the forums is bad form (contact the cache owner for hints instead)

When finding a cache, try not to disturb the natural environment (don't take apart stone walls)

After finding the cache, rehide it as you found it (don't move it because you think there is a better spot)

Log a DNF if you don't find the cache (and don't remove the DNF log if you find it later).

One find of the physical cache = one found it log

There may be exceptions to many of these but that's why they're called guidelines.

Am I missing them, I've read the generally stuff, but where are the specific rules? Or is this a cyber cache and I have to keep looking :P

You guys speak of more specific stuff then I have read here.

Keep in mind, some of things that are stated in the forums many of us have found out while just participating as you have...a whole lot of "Learn by Doing"...so don't feel offended or singled out if you receive a suggestion (in good fairth) from anyone here or from Reviewers as you get more involved...

...and, while some suggestions or comments may seem cynical at times, many do come from good intentions...just don't take a "tone" too personal...

Thanks for the guidelines for hiding caches, what other guidlines are there? You hide 'em I find 'em? Simple.

I do the trash out thing, quietly go about my search, sign it, hide it as I found it, and log it? I'll be a member shortly too.

Checking out GSAK, learning about my GPS, and having fun. thanks

The onlyreal rules are for hiding caches. They are the guidelines that some have linked to.

For finding caches there are generally accepted practices, but no set of rules.

Some key ones

1. Find the cache

2. Sign the logbook

3. If you trade, make sure your trade is somewhat even (e.g. don't take a flashight and leave an expired Sanka coupon)

4. Don't leave food, dangerous or illegal things in caches.

5. Tread lightly. Don't tear up the area when searching.

6. Don't take travel bugs or geocoins uness you can move them to another cache promptly.

7. Replace the cache the way you found it (unless it is obvious it has been dislodged from the intended hiding place).

8. Log your find or DNF online

Edited by briansnat

You guys speak of more specific stuff then I have read here.

Oftentimes people have their own rules of fair conduct that have no grounding in official documents. Briansnat's list covers the official rules... anything beyond that is either socially accepted norms (unwritten rules) or individual opinion.