Garmin 60csx compass doesn't work

My Garmin 60csx compass doesn't work. It worked fine for 5 months and now when I'm in the woods and I want to find my way back or to another location, I click FIND, WAYPOINTS, then I select (highlight)a waypoint or geocache, hit ENTER, GO TO, hit ENTER, and PAGE. Red arrow doesn't show on compass and no info in any of the boxes. I reset the GPS, calibrated, compass is on, and I am recieving satellites, but NO compass. This is the single most thing I need and it doesn't work. Any other ideas. Thanks

Maybe your compass is turned off.If you press and hold the page button down you will turn off the compass,press and hold the page button down again.If I remember correctly powering on/off does not reset the compass,if that does not work then I guess its broken.If the compass is off you still see the screen ,but no arrow and the compass ring does not move and has no numbers around its dial. Just word of caution ,if in the woods make sure you have a good real compass for a double check if things dont seem right,which happens alot with that electronic compass! Sorry ,maybe you already know about the page button.The other thing is ,is the compass in your page sequence setup,if not you wont see it when you cycle through the pages.

Edited by Forkeye

Red arrow doesn't show on compass and no info in any of the boxes.

What version firmware is in the unit? I remember reading that might have to be reinstalled if you are showing v0.00

Version 4.00

The compass is on, the dial turn but there is no bearing or course pointer. The data fields (ie. dist to dest.)

are not showing the distances or time to reach dest.

For some reason or another you are not getting into navigation mode..... that's the reason for no info in the boxes and no pointer. The "ring" IS the compass.

When you select a waypoint to navigate to, do you next get an option for "Follow Road" or "Off Road" ? That should be next after selecting a waypoint, go to,enter,..... on/off road, enter,........then page or quit to get to compass page.

Without choosing on or off road it never starts navigating.

Red arrow doesn't show on compass and no info in any of the boxes.

What version firmware is in the unit? I remember reading that might have to be reinstalled if you are showing v0.00

Version 4.00

The compass is on, the dial turn but there is no bearing or course pointer. The data fields (ie. dist to dest.)

are not showing the distances or time to reach dest.

There should be two numbers, the Software Version and the GPS SW Version. Are you saying that they are both v4.00?

It might be that you GPSr is in "GPS off" or "Demo" Mode.

Go to the Main Menu page, then Setup - System. There "normal" should be selected, once you are there, select WAAS / EGNOS "enabled" as well.

With all the guessing about the firmware: Just connect the GPSr to the computer and let the WebUpdater run. After that you know that you have the newest available Firm- and Software.

GermanSailor

IWith all the guessing about the firmware: Just connect the GPSr to the computer and let the WebUpdater run. After that you know that you have the newest available Firm- and Software.
You can do this but that will only treat the symptom, not the problem. If so it could continue to dump the software, and you haven't done anything but put a bandaid on it and will not be too happy when it repeats the problem in the field.

First, you have to establish if this is the issue of if it's user error or what. Then you have to address that issue or you are just playing pin the tail on the donkey.

Edited by coggins

I have found that bad card contact can cause a host of problems, including random shut-downs as if the batteries had just died, or the inability to shut the unit off. Fortunately, it's a trivial matter to clean the unit's contracts.

Thanks! I found this after pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong. Re-seating the the uSD card fixed it for me, too!

Mark