Finding a DNF

yellow_sunflowers

As far as I understand, there is no way to take a DNF off your list, without deleting it, or changing it into a note, or however others do it.

It would be nice to see my DNF list, but at the same time, I want to know which ones I have found and which ones I havent. Let's face it, those lists do get kinda long, or so I hear! LOL! There was one that it took me 3 or 4 tries to get, and all those tries are still on my DNF list, but yet I found it!

Since a DNF is a frown and a Found one is a smile, maybe a found DNF could be an "embarrassed" or an "OMG" smile because we all think that when we go back and find it!

Maybe add a DNF Found list?

I was searching the forum to see if this had already been mentioned so I am glad I found it.

My belief is that a lot of people DNF caches but, do not bother to log it as a DNF. They may choose to not log it for a variety of reasons (lazy, embarrased, whatever) which is fine. However, when someone does take the time to log a DNF and then later finds that cache, it should be removed from their DNF list. No data needs to be changed to accomplish this so there would be no impact to the cache log history or anything like that. A simple query to retrieve records the user has DNFed which they have also not found is all that is required.

I think that people tend to get away from logging the DNF because their list of DNFs becomes unmanageable in trying to figure out exactly which ones are a real DNF vice a cache that was later found.

I think that people tend to get away from logging the DNF because their list of DNFs becomes unmanageable in trying to figure out exactly which ones are a real DNF vice a cache that was later found.

I think you may be right. Although, there is nothing stopping someone from deleting a DNF log, right?

There was one that it took me 3 or 4 tries to get, and all those tries are still on my DNF list, but yet I found it!
and
However, when someone does take the time to log a DNF and then later finds that cache, it should be removed from their DNF list.

Probably should not happen, because the DNF is a part of the cache history. Even if/when that cache is archived (actually, the reason it is archived only) is that the entire cache history remains intact. I have never seen my DNF "list". Just where do I find it?

Save the history deletions for those that write textbooks, instead. They have had lots of practice. :)

Some great ideas!

I just want to tell which ones are found without having to look them all up. There isn't THAT many btw! It's just a pain!

That's what GSAK does when you run your PQ's. It list's all of your finds and you filter those out when you want to send your caches to your GPS. You also update your finds by running the "my finds" PQ at least weekly.

This is what I do. Another option is to just look at the map of the area you are going to search and you will see the caches you have found and the ones you have not. I usually remember which ones I haven't found. In fact some of those DNF's turned into either disabled or archived caches. With the archived cache you will never be able to find it to change your frown upside down.

Some great ideas!

I just want to tell which ones are found without having to look them all up. There isn't THAT many btw! It's just a pain!

That's what GSAK does when you run your PQ's. It list's all of your finds and you filter those out when you want to send your caches to your GPS. You also update your finds by running the "my finds" PQ at least weekly.

This is what I do. Another option is to just look at the map of the area you are going to search and you will see the caches you have found and the ones you have not. I usually remember which ones I haven't found. In fact some of those DNF's turned into either disabled or archived caches. With the archived cache you will never be able to find it to change your frown upside down.

Thanks, Ill have to look at that.

i don't honestly see the need for such a feature

a DNF list is only visible to each member, doesn't show on the map either so anything you DNF'ed will look the same as any other cache not found yet, will not have a smiley face, very easy to differentiate

i don't honestly see the need for such a feature

a DNF list is only visible to each member, doesn't show on the map either so anything you DNF'ed will look the same as any other cache not found yet, will not have a smiley face, very easy to differentiate

I'm referring to the list generated from the "Your Geocaching Details" page, selecting "Didn't Find It" logs where it says "SHOW". It will show a list of all of your "DNF logs" but doesn't indicate if you ever actually found it. I've resolved many of my initial DNFs at a later date. Would just like to see what's still "outstanding".

Okay, I'll bite. Where is this DNF list that y'all are talking about?

from your profile where it shows the logs click on "geocaches"

Untitledlist.jpg

Those links are nothing more than lists of your log types.

If you want to see the caches you logged a DNF on, then click on that list.

If you want to see the caches you found, then click on the "found it" list. Seems easy.

Those links are nothing more than lists of your log types.

If you want to see the caches you logged a DNF on, then click on that list.

If you want to see the caches you found, then click on the "found it" list. Seems easy.

I'm pretty sure what the OP is trying to do is get an idea of which caches he's looked for and never found. Looking at two separate lists doesn't do that. Having an indicator on the DNF list that shows finds, does.

Edited by Prime Suspect

But there is no place to see the combination of the two. I've DNF'd 283 caches (or, more precisely, I've posted 283 DNF logs - yes, it's possible to DNF a cache more than once!!) and found just under 4000 caches. How do you determine which of the 283 DNFs you've found without doing a one-for-one comparison, flipping back and forth between the lists.

Even more difficult is determining which of the 283 DNF caches are still outstanding. Pretty detailed comparison searching through 4000 find logs.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

But there is no place to see the combination of the two. I've DNF'd 283 caches (or, more precisely, I've posted 283 DNF logs - yes, it's possible to DNF a cache more than once!!) and found just under 4000 caches. How do you determine which of the 283 DNFs you've found without doing a one-for-one comparison, flipping back and forth between the lists.

Even more difficult is determining which of the 283 DNF caches are still outstanding. Pretty detailed comparison searching through 4000 find logs.

GSAK can do this easily if you have that. But definitely would be nice to have a 'DNF (unresolved)' column on that page on the website itself.