Requiring photos to log an Earthcache

firennice

Not even close. It has now been confirmed that he cannot REQUIRE me to take a photo at his cache, therefore if I find one I will NOT take a photo, unless he provides the camera, in which case why not?

Since he has stated he will continue to require photos his caches now have an ALR attached to them and violate Groudspeak Guidelines, so any logs he deletes for lack of a photo must be reinstated and the ALR removed. His desire to be a control freak does not give him the right to be one.

If you look closely, you'll see that an Earthcache owner CAN require you to take a picture as a form of data collection.

They can't require you to take a picture of yourself as simple proof that you were there.

Tell this to the owner of GC14TVP and the local reviewer that stood behind the CO that deleted my log today because you can not see my face in the photo that I posted. The CO went as far as to reword the logging requirements today to futher violate the new rule and sent me a rude email telling me to read the rules on EC's. I did appeal it.

Edited by manville p h

Tell this to the owner of GC14TVP and the local reviewer that stood behind the CO that deleted my log today because you can not see my face in the photo that I posted. The CO went as far as to reword the logging requirements today to futher violate the new rule and sent me a rude email telling me to read the rules on EC's. I did appeal it.

I am the "lucky" EC owner you are attacking on here and I would have been happy to work with you on your found log but you didn't have the courtsey of asking first. I understand the new guidelines that now allow "COUCH CACHING" involving earthcaches but the picture was not the only reason for your log to get deleted, several of your answers were incorrect! You only had 2 out of 6 answers correct, in my opinion that doesn't show that you even tried....

As far as I know, I can still delete your log for incorrect answers!

If you can send me the correct answers to my earthcache then your found log will be accepted....

Simple as that....

...and because some folks mess up even the easiest of questions I normally require pictures at the site. This is done for the finders benefit to allow for some leniency in the answers they submit. Some folks just have a hard time responding correctly to the stated questions but if a good faith attempt was made and there was photographic proof of their visit I normally allow the log to stand. Without the pic I'm a whole lot more strict on the answers submitted.

I understand the new guidelines that now allow "COUCH CACHING" involving earthcaches

The guideline changes don't allow "couch caching," they ask for better, more rigorous logging tasks. If your Earthcache can be done with internet research alone, your logging requirements aren't good enough.

I understand the new guidelines that now allow "COUCH CACHING" involving earthcaches

The guideline changes don't allow "couch caching," they ask for better, more rigorous logging tasks. If your Earthcache can be done with internet research alone, your logging requirements aren't good enough.

99% of all ECs (without a picture requirement) can be done via a couch if someone sends you the answers...a pic at the site is the best way allowed to confirm someone was there...notice I didn't say a pic of your face, just a pic which proves YOU were there.

Edited by Lostby7

99% of all ECs (without a picture requirement) can be done via a couch if someone sends you the answers...a pic at the site is the best way allowed to confirm someone was there...notice I didn't say a pic of your face, just a pic which proves YOU were there.

Requiring a photograph for the purpose of confirming that a person visited the site is not allowed with the new guidelines.

You can require photographs as a form of data collection.

If you suspect that someone has logged your Earthcache without visiting the site, check their other logs, and/or write them an email with a question about the site that isn't asked on the cache page. I've done this on a couple of occasions when I received questionable Earthcache logs.

I have the photo of me standing at the deck above the falls with my GPS unit, my head is turned and you can not see my face. Now the CO has changed the questions. Seems that they are just making a personial issue of something that is supposed to be educational and fun just because I did not post a photo of my face, and estimated some of the answers incorrect. I do know how tall the falls are, that is posted on the sign in the Park.

The forum isn't the most appropriate place to work this out. The owner has suggested a willingness to work things out privately, and you've been given the contact information required if you want to appeal your log deletion to someone higher up.

Is the prohibition for requiring pictures of faces for all Earthcaches or just new ones?

I have tried to glean an answer to this question and have not been able to do so. Are the new guidelines retroactive to all ECs (which were approved under the guidelines in force at the time of publication) or only for new ECs submitted after the guideline change?

Geoaware, please answer this question.

Thank you.

EarthCaches are supposed to be for educational purposes, in the family friendly sport of geocaching. Not a way for someone to carryout their own personial grudges. The new requirements from the CO to log GC14TVP would be near impossable to determine. The only posted information in the Park is the hight of the waterfall. What does the number of steps have to do with an EC? Geoaware should be more careful of WHO they let maintain EC's.

I was sitting there when your log came through on Billy's email.

I read your answers to the five original questions. You got two out of five right. That means, you got three out of five wrong. Geoware told Billy to change his requirements and he did so and now you whine and moan, still. But do not make an attempt at getting the five original questions right.

So now, you are supposed to be able to log an earthcache without sending the correct answers. No picture is supposed to be supplied. All that one needs to do to log an earthcache now is to convince TPTB at Groundspeak that you were at the location. Learning has the Earthcache category. You need not make any attempts.

One of these days, Groundspeak will take into consideration the opinion of those who go to the trouble to put earthcaches together and list caches for others to find and for once, side with the cache owner. But not today.

FYI, we haven't been in the forums this year to read the changes in Earthcaches. I went to the "Groundspeak" guidelines and read that "photo" requirements were up to the cache owner.

Seems like Earthcache.org and Geocaching.com were not on the same page here.

I heard Billy say more than once, if "Dude" gets the answers right, I don't have a problem with him logging it. So, instead of concentrating on the new questions, concentrate on getting your five original questions right and send him the answers. I'm tired of hearing about it already.

----

I'm done, now. I have to go edit a few earthcaches for the new information I received today.

Some of us geocachers have public jobs and like to keep our private lives private. That is why we use screen names and not our real ones. I like to take photos and post them, just not of my face. I am glad of the new change. It gives me new freedom to explore more EarthCaches.

This is funny, just checking out your profile shows many pictures of your face and more than a few ECs, you even posted a picture of you wearing a full ski mask and sporting a pistol at a public monument....

I really hate the fact that you would rather hash this out in public and not try to work this out without causing such a fuss.

Facts are facts...You only got 2 out of the 5 answers correct for the original 5 questions..... That is a failing grade anywhere!

I have no problem with you logging my earthcache if you post the "required" picture of the waterfall and you sending me the "Correct" answers for the original "5" questions

I am nowhere near as hard to work with as you are making me out to be! :anibad:

Edited by BackBrakeBilly
Is the prohibition for requiring pictures of faces for all Earthcaches or just new ones?

I have tried to glean an answer to this question and have not been able to do so. Are the new guidelines retroactive to all ECs (which were approved under the guidelines in force at the time of publication) or only for new ECs submitted after the guideline change?

Geoaware, please answer this question.

Thank you.

I know My earthcache is over 2 years old and they made me change my requirements so the guideline change must be for ALL earthcaches...

I have the photo of me standing at the deck above the falls with my GPS unit, my head is turned and you can not see my face. Now the CO has changed the questions. Seems that they are just making a personial issue of something that is supposed to be educational and fun just because I did not post a photo of my face, and estimated some of the answers incorrect. I do know how tall the falls are, that is posted on the sign in the Park.

You didn't post that picture... As for changing the questions? I only took out the estimating part, I never said anything about exact measurements. I do expect folks to make a effort which you didn't do in my opinion.

Now the powers that be here at GC.com are telling me that I have to let you log it without you sending me the correct answers just because you want too....

I guess I have truly lost any control over MY earthcache!

Yes I did change the logging requirements as per Geoware's request. I changed it where the cacher no longer has to be in the picture as per the new guidelines which has noting to do with you sending me the incorrect answers to 3 out of 5 questions!

...and because some folks mess up even the easiest of questions I normally require pictures at the site. This is done for the finders benefit to allow for some leniency in the answers they submit. Some folks just have a hard time responding correctly to the stated questions but if a good faith attempt was made and there was photographic proof of their visit I normally allow the log to stand. Without the pic I'm a whole lot more strict on the answers submitted.

Exactly!!!

Requiring a photograph for the purpose of confirming that a person visited the site is not allowed with the new guidelines.

You can require photographs as a form of data collection.

If you suspect that someone has logged your Earthcache without visiting the site, check their other logs, and/or write them an email with a question about the site that isn't asked on the cache page. I've done this on a couple of occasions when I received questionable Earthcache logs.

The first thing I did was to check to see if the cacher in question just happened to visit any other caches in the area of my earthcache on the same day as he logged my earthcache...Nope, not one! He logged a cache the day before out on a hike at least 200 miles away from my earthcache. For the record, there are a bunch of other great caches near by my earthcache which a cacher would easily be able to grab while on the way to my earthcache, he however did not choose to log any of them.

Did I mention he only sent 2 correct answers for the 5 questions asked, everyone seems so focused on the picture thing that they are leaving out this fact!

No one has offered to let me answer the original 5 questions. I would be willing to do that to log the cache as a find and post a different photo. And by the way, I am not a "Dude" or a "him". I am a woman without my make-up on in the photo at the falls. We geocache as a family most times and use one account. All I am asking is to let me post my photo without my face showing and let me try harder to guess/estimate the answers to the original 5 questions. I have never encountered an EC owner that is so hard to get along with. We were here at the park for a Training course for the State of Tn. and live 150+ miles away. Why make things so hard for us that work for Tn. State Parks? They have all but banned caching in our State Parks. I enjoy geocaching, but am afraid to even speak of it at work because of Tn. State policy on geocaching.

Huh? You had a chance to answer the original five questions when you submitted your log. The cache owner is trying to be vigilant about making sure the logs are authentic.

Are you now accusing the cache owner of discriminating against you because you work for the state of Tennessee? This is growing weirder by the minute.

EarthCaches are supposed to be for educational purposes, in the family friendly sport of geocaching. Not a way for someone to carryout their own personial grudges. The new requirements from the CO to log GC14TVP would be near impossable to determine. The only posted information in the Park is the hight of the waterfall. What does the number of steps have to do with an EC? Geoaware should be more careful of WHO they let maintain EC's.

I was sitting there when your log came through on Billy's email.

I read your answers to the five original questions. You got two out of five right. That means, you got three out of five wrong. Geoware told Billy to change his requirements and he did so and now you whine and moan, still. But do not make an attempt at getting the five original questions right.

So now, you are supposed to be able to log an earthcache without sending the correct answers. No picture is supposed to be supplied. All that one needs to do to log an earthcache now is to convince TPTB at Groundspeak that you were at the location. Learning has the Earthcache category. You need not make any attempts.

One of these days, Groundspeak will take into consideration the opinion of those who go to the trouble to put earthcaches together and list caches for others to find and for once, side with the cache owner. But not today.

FYI, we haven't been in the forums this year to read the changes in Earthcaches. I went to the "Groundspeak" guidelines and read that "photo" requirements were up to the cache owner.

Seems like Earthcache.org and Geocaching.com were not on the same page here.

I heard Billy say more than once, if "Dude" gets the answers right, I don't have a problem with him logging it. So, instead of concentrating on the new questions, concentrate on getting your five original questions right and send him the answers. I'm tired of hearing about it already.

----

I'm done, now. I have to go edit a few earthcaches for the new information I received today.

No one has offered to let me answer the original 5 questions. I would be willing to do that to log the cache as a find and post a different photo. And by the way, I am not a "Dude" or a "him". I am a woman without my make-up on in the photo at the falls. We geocache as a family most times and use one account. All I am asking is to let me post my photo without my face showing and let me try harder to guess/estimate the answers to the original 5 questions. I have never encountered an EC owner that is so hard to get along with. We were here at the park for a Training course for the State of Tn. and live 150+ miles away. Why make things so hard for us that work for Tn. State Parks? They have all but banned caching in our State Parks. I enjoy geocaching, but am afraid to even speak of it at work because of Tn. State policy on geocaching.

Just for the record I have a very good relationship with all of the TN State Parks people in our area, heck I even have our local head ranger on speed dial! LOL

There is NO ban or even close in OUR TN state parks!

Oh yea, I only hold you to the same standards that I hold all cachers too but seeing as you are a TN State Parks employee you should have had no trouble finding the answers to the 5 original questions but you still got 3 out of 5 wrong...

and yes, I have offered you several chances to log my cache by sending the correct answers even doing so publicly in this thread but you have refused to contact me but you can however go to GC.com and complain...

Edited by BackBrakeBilly

I tryed to answer the orginal 5 questions. I know which two that I got right, the others I guessed at. I think that I could do better on how the falls were formed, but I do not remember all the orginial questions now. I am not good at estimating distance, my eye sight is poor and I was not wearing my contacts. I did try and explain to the CO that I worked for the State and did not want to post my face in the photo. As for my husband, he was not there. But, he has no problem with posting a photo of his face any place. I saw a photo of him at the Post Office hanging on the wall today.

Just for the record, I was counting the answer for the question on how the waterfall was formed as one of the 2 correct answers........

Here is the answer you gave me for the question...

How was this waterfall formed? (your answer--- Water) Ahhh come on....

I guess I need to explain on how I want the Geologic process which formed the water instead of just... "WATER"???

The only answer you actually got correct is the one on how high are the falls which can be googled! :anibad:

The other three answers you sent me were just plain wrong, sorry.... :smile:

Edited by BackBrakeBilly

How was this waterfall formed? (your answer--- Water)

Wow, that's just blatantly disrespectful. I would have deleted the log too, and I think the deletion should stand.

Not all caches are for all people. Some of us can't hike long distances, some of us can't solve logic puzzles, some of us aren't capable of doing the sort of "schoolwork" required to log an Earthcache.

Instead of flinging bizarre accusations and making phony claims to Groundspeak, this cacher should just back off and stick to caches that she is capable of doing.

No "Ban" on any new cache placements in Tn. State Parks? Nope, I know better. Just contact April Welch in Nashville and get permission to place one. Good luck!

Blame it on the trouble makers that don't get proper permission.

This has NOTHING to do with the issue you have with my earthcache and I am sure the person you mentioned would rather hot have her name posted here, if just out of respect...

Now the powers that be here at GC.com are telling me that I have to let you log it without you sending me the correct answers just because you want too....

I guess I have truly lost any control over MY earthcache!

Dear Groundspeak,

I have reviewed the log in question once again, and have again determined that they do not meet the requirements for logging an EarthCache as 'found.'

As per the EarthCache.org listing requirement that states that '[the] Logging of an EarthCache must involve visitors undertaking some educational task that relates to the Earth science at the site,' I have determined that the user who logged a find on my EarthCache has not met the requirements of that educational task. I came to this conclusion after examining the geocaching.com guideline that states that 'Logging an EarthCache find requires compliance with the requirements stated by the owner and the EarthCache website, including answering the required questions by email to the owner, providing original photos if so requested, etc.'

The user who is requesting the restoration of her log has failed to meet my requirements, as I require more than two of my five questions to be answered correctly. Furthermore, at least one of the incorrect answers suggests that the player in question did not even attempt to research the answer.

As the user did not meet the requirements of logging my EarthCache as per geocaching.com and EarthCache.org guidelines, I ask that you rescind your recent instruction to restore the deleted log.

As has been requested of me, I have removed the requirement that finders post a picture of themselves at the site.

Thank You.

Sincerely,

(Your name here)

Nothing to do with? She is the person that YOU need permission from for caches in Tennessee State Parks. Do you have her permission for this cache, or are you just another one of them that rules need to be created for because of being a rouge cacher? I guess that rules do not apply to you, considerind your attuitude.

Earthcaches go through a rigorous approval process, and permission is not assumed the way it often is with other caches.

To an outside observer, it seems that YOU are the one with the attitude problem. You insist on attacking this cache owner for deleting your log, even though you are now admitting that you didn't do the work required.

Logging an Earthcache requires demonstrating that learning has occurred. It is obvious that no learning has occurred with you.

Edited by narcissa

Wow. Post 128 is dripping with sweetness, and pretty pleases, help me nice Mr. BBB... then 22 minutes later on post 129 we have accusations and attack.

I can't say this hasn't been amusing but it really shouldn't have been played out on the boards...what I can't figure out is why that cache is SO important that one would go through so much trouble for...

Wow. Post 128 is dripping with sweetness, and pretty pleases, help me nice Mr. BBB... then 22 minutes later on post 129 we have accusations and attack.

no kidding, i have read all the posts and i seriously don't understand what the point is in arguing with the CO or begging for allowing the log when the requirements have not been fulfilled :anibad:

I can't say this hasn't been amusing but it really shouldn't have been played out on the boards...what I can't figure out is why that cache is SO important that one would go through so much trouble for...

The really stupid thing is that Groundspeak had actually told the cache owner to let her log it, but since then she's admitted that she didn't bother doing the educational tasks required to log the cache.

She's also implied that the Earthcache reviewers aren't upholding the guidelines, so she's probably not making any friends on that side.

If EarthCaches are so much trouble to submit and log, then why are they not banned? They should be if they are so much trouble. How many EC's are handicapped accessable? How can a person in a wheelchair count the number of steps to a EC that is not handicapped accessable? Everytime that someone posts a find on our traditional caches, we do not go check if the finder signed the log. Why require a persons face in a photo to log a find? Do you consider disabled persons not eligable to seek your caches? Please consider the people that have became disabled fighting for your rights that you enjoy.

with all due respect i think you are taking this too far and didn not seriously think before you made that suggestion which basically implies that any cache with a terrain higher than 1 should be banned, where terrain 1 FYI is the norm when its wheelchair accessible

its a game for anyone, if you don't like the difficulty, there's plenty of LPC to be found

having read the requirements for publishing an Earthcache, my hat goes down for those that go through the effort to publish one, and if they wish to ask 10 questions so be it...its only respectful to comply

Edited by t4e

If EarthCaches are so much trouble to submit and log, then why are they not banned? They should be if they are so much trouble. How many EC's are handicapped accessable? How can a person in a wheelchair count the number of steps to a EC that is not handicapped accessable? Everytime that someone posts a find on our traditional caches, we do not go check if the finder signed the log. Why require a persons face in a photo to log a find? Do you consider disabled persons not eligable to seek your caches? Please consider the people that have became disabled fighting for your rights that you enjoy.

Please read the geocaching guidelines.

The picture is no longer an issue. The cache owner has removed that requirement, as per the guidelines. Your log was deleted because of your complete failure to complete the required logging tasks.

Earthcaches, like all geocaches, are given a difficulty and terrain rating that takes into consideration the physical and intellectual challenge involved. Caches that are wheelchair accessible are given a terrain rating of 1.

Geocachers with physical or, as in your case, intellectual disabilities should take these ratings into consideration. Not all caches are for all people.

Many cache owners do audit the logbooks, especially when they suspect fraudulent logging.

Not all caches are for all people.

I might be able to get to almost every cache (e.g. I'm probably never going to make it to GCMBEQ), and there are a lot of puzzles that I'll never be able to solve. That doesn't mean that they should be banned.

As the OLGC often reminds us, 'Know your limit, play within it'

Go ahead and make your fun of our family, yours could be next.

Most of you seem to be without compassion, I can't post what I would like to tell you on this site.

You failed to meet the logging requirements of an EarthCache, logged it anyway, and had your illegitimate log deleted.

How, exactly, are we making fun of your family?

No we don't have compassion for illegitimate 'found it' logs. Why would we?

New pic's and answers sent, along with requests that if answers were incorrect, please help to correct for educational purposes. I did try harder to answer the CO's quesitons. I can not remember the original 5, just too much pressure lately. This cache was important to my husband, he was not able to be here at the time, I did not want to leave him in the care of others, but I have a job that required me to be at FallCreek falls. Just remember that you are able to geocache today. Please consider your fellow humans and what would you do if you suddlenly became disabled. YES! I am stressed. Go ahead and make your fun of our family, yours could be next.

Most of you seem to be without compassion, I can't post what I would like to tell you on this site.

How would anybody here know anything about your family? All we know is that you haven't read the geocaching guidelines, and you have a disturbing sense of entitlement.

Not all caches are for all people.

Information about Earthcaches and Earthcaching can be found here:

http://www.earthcache.org/

The general cache listing guidelines can be found here:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#earth

Information about cache attributes here:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/icons.aspx

The "Getting Started" section of the forum is a good place for inexperienced geocachers to ask questions about things like terrain, difficulty, attributes, and other issues that affect cachers with disabilities.

Geocachers with disabilities may also find this website helpful:

http://www.handicaching.com/

This issue has been resolved to put a end to it, I received the revised answers which were MUCH closer to what I was asking for and I am happy with them. I have allowed the cachers log to stand since she made a effort to get the correct answers....

See, it was that easy to work out. I don't however see why she was nice in one post then attacked me again the next. I was trying to work this out with her the whole time and don't think I deserve the attack...

My thanks go out to all that saw my point on this issue.....

As for my 32 earthcaches I have placed, with what has happened here with this one I have come to a decision which is I will be archiving all of them very soon, they are just more trouble than they are worth...

Thanks again!

As for my 32 earthcaches I have placed, with what has happened here with this one I have come to a decision which is I will be archiving all of them very soon, they are just more trouble than they are worth...

Why? How many times has this happened?

If this is the first time, how long will it be until the next? 2 years? 3 years? longer?

This issue has been resolved to put a end to it, I received the revised answers which were MUCH closer to what I was asking for and I am happy with them. I have allowed the cachers log to stand since she made a effort to get the correct answers....

See, it was that easy to work out. I don't however see why she was nice in one post then attacked me again the next. I was trying to work this out with her the whole time and don't think I deserve the attack...

My thanks go out to all that saw my point on this issue.....

Thanks again!

I'm really sorry to hear that you'll be archiving them. You certainly didn't deserve to be attacked like that. I think everyone reading this thread can see that her accusations were completely unfounded and out-of-line.

I hope you'll at least consider adopting out your Earthcaches, so interested geocachers can continue to learn from them.

Thanks again!

I have 3 of your earthcaches (Polk County TN) on my list to visit in 3 weeks. I hope you'll reconsider this and wait at least a day or two (or 4 weeks :anibad: ) before doing this. Edited by beejay&esskay

If this is the first time, how long will it be until the next? 2 years? 3 years? longer?

Actually most of my earthcaches were placed over 2 years ago and the reason that I stopped placing them is because it is worse than pulling teeth trying to get one approved...

Over the past couple of years I have had to "argue" with folks in this same fashion more than a few times and I ALWAYS come out on the losing end due to the GC.com powers siding with the cachers that are most of the time try to log bogus finds. I am really tired of paying $30 a year which I have for the past 7 years to a company that has no intentions on listening to my side and actually taking care of the cache placer for a change. Without people placing caches this game is over! I have placed over 600 caches in my 7 years and for now will not be placing anymore, its just not worth it and niether is what I am getting for my $30 bucks a year......

I will get alot more fun out of $30 worth of gas in my Harley!

Edited by BackBrakeBilly

Actually most of my earthcaches were placed over 2 years ago and the reason that I stopped placing them is because it is worse than pulling teeth trying to get one approved...

Over the past couple of years I have had to "argue" with folks in this same fashion more than a few times and I ALWAYS come out on the losing end due to the GC.com powers siding with the cachers that are most of the time try to log bogus finds. I am really tired of paying $30 a year which I have for the past 7 years to a company that has no intentions on listening to my side and actually taking care of the cache placer for a change. Without people placing caches this game is over! I have placed over 600 caches in my 7 years and for now will not be placing anymore, its just not worth it and niether is what I am getting for my $30 bucks a year......

I will get alot more fun out of $30 worth of gas in my Harley!

Ah well, it's a shame that so many EarthCaches have to be archived... As I said, a simple letter like the one I posted above should be enough to convince them that 'learning has not occurred.'

Anyway, as Narcissa said, hopefully instead of archiving your caches, you can find somebody who would be willing to adopt them. I'd even take one or two if you'd like me to :smile: (I'd need the answers though :anibad: ). The one about the Copper mine looks interesting!