New Garmin Oregon (WebUpdater) software

Just wanted to add a short note to the mix. I updated (via WebUpdater under Windows) to the new software release on Friday from the previous non-beta release (I don't currently have time to play with learning the new map stuff). Anyway, I went out yesterday and found 21 caches with my Oregon 400t. Everything worked as expected with no issues (other than the hider listing some bad coordinates on one cache).

I had my magenta "go to" line, my tracks recorded, my compass pointed the right direction, etc. FWIW, I do have some transparent maps loaded, but they do not cover the area in which I was caching yesterday.

Red 90, could you elaborate about the ways transparent overlays don't work in Basecamp? I've just made a 3x5 degree semi-transparent topo in Basecamp that I can zoom and pan, but it's been crashing a lot.

If you have a plain transparent map, they will show. If you have a preview map that is visible with the detailed map, the detailed map does not show. It works in Mapsource and is a great way to do trail maps. It allows reference information to be available within Mapsource for planning while only sending the trails to the GPS.

Red 90, could you elaborate about the ways transparent overlays don't work in Basecamp? I've just made a 3x5 degree semi-transparent topo in Basecamp that I can zoom and pan, but it's been crashing a lot.

If you have a plain transparent map, they will show. If you have a preview map that is visible with the detailed map, the detailed map does not show. It works in Mapsource and is a great way to do trail maps. It allows reference information to be available within Mapsource for planning while only sending the trails to the GPS.

Thanks for the tip. I closed the preview map in Basecamp and it didn't crash...yet.

The most recent version of MapSource is crashing all the time in Win7, so Basecamp is my only option for the time being. This thing about transparent maps and the ORs is really disappointing. I just finished making a 3 degree by 5 degree transparent overlay for CNNANT and it looks like I'll have to revert my firmware to use it.

Follow up: Reverted to firmware 3.4 using the GCD file downloaded from the OR wiki. I thought I had bricked the OR on restart. Screen was a smear and the unit wouldn't turn on or off. Eventually I removed my map chip, and then the unit booted fine.

Edited by seldom_sn

Got prompted by Garmin WebUpdater to update my Oregon 550t last week, when I hooked it up to download a pocket query. Must be a new release because I hook up my Oregon regularly and haven't seen it before. So I updated. What a mistake - now my trusty unit doesn't work! I turn it on and it shuts off by itself about 10 seconds later. Must be a glitch in the update.

So now what? Wait 'til Garmin fixes the glitch and then update again?

I believe what Red90 means by stating the overlays don't work in BaseCamp is that you can't overlay them onto another map. Otherwise you can view them in BaseCamp just fine but they aren't "transparent" since you can only select a single map at a time to view.