HTC Touch Pro running Windows Mobile 6.1

mention of unauthorized software deleted by moderator

Please help. I am looking for a geocaching app for my HTC Touch Pro with Windows Mobile 6.1. Anyone else found anything good for this phone? Any help is MOST appreciated!

See the previous thread "HTC PRO using xxxxxx"

The new Geocaching website changes temporarily broke this app but if past history means anything, the author should have it fixed in a day or two.

DrRounds2

Edited by Brad_W

Please help. I am looking for a geocaching app for my HTC Touch Pro with Windows Mobile 6.1. Anyone else found anything good for this phone? Any help is MOST appreciated!

See the previous thread "HTC PRO using xxxxxx"

The new Geocaching website changes temporarily broke this app but if past history means anything, the author should have it fixed in a day or two.

DrRounds2

I cannot believe there is such a rapid explanation for losing my main GC'ing app but greatful to hear that the problem's not local. I sincerely hope GC'ing programmers don't repeatedly kill known, stable portals to the site data that third party apps utilize. GC'ing LIVE just isn't ready and I wonder how long we'll have to wait.

TMO TP2; WM6.1

Edited by Brad_W

xxxxxx is a great application, but it violates Groundspeak's Terms of Use.

If you want a good geocaching application that won't get your account banned from the site, try Cachemate. You'll need to download Pocket Queries and load them on the phone, but it's otherwise a great program. Since you've got an HTC, I know you can run Opera Mobile and kick off a Pocket Query to your email, and then load that into Cachemate.

Don't hold your breath for an "official" live-data Windows Mobile application from Groundspeak. They're not interested in the platform - at all. Live.geocaching.com is probably as finished as it will ever get, just as the Wherigo Player was abandoned two years ago for Windows Mobile.

Edited by Brad_W

I had no idea that xxxxxx was doing anything wrong and it has the best user interface that I have found. Although it is a real shame that it will no longer work correctly it is still quite useful if you generate a pocket querie that contains the information for the area you want. You can then import GPX from the menu on the home screen and have all the GC data available. You won't be able to post logs or check inventory but at least it means I can have most of the information I need still on my Touch Pro 2 and don't have to waste trees by printing the details out.

Edited by Brad_W

I've been a very happy user of GeoScout for about a year now. There is an evaluation version on their site, but the app isn't expensive so I bought it without hesitation after a months testing. I'm using it on my HTC Touch Diamond (WM6.1).

Currently there is a problem with downloading caches with GeoScout since the latest GC.com update January 12th, but the author has promised to release a new updated version today that handles this. Also in the past when the geocaching site changes he's been releasing a fixed version within a few days.