Safari and Map problem

Smilin' Dawg

I run OSX 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.4 When I click on View Map the map loads in half format and never loads the caches. Firefox seems to work correctly. Anyone else having the same problems?

Safari was negatively impacted by the updates. For me it was both not loading caches and not displaying the sliders to select caches along a route. As you noted, Firefox works

I run OSX 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.4 When I click on View Map the map loads in half format and never loads the caches. Firefox seems to work correctly. Anyone else having the same problems?

Safari was negatively impacted by the updates. For me it was both not loading caches and not displaying the sliders to select caches along a route. As you noted, Firefox works

Not sure how you are accessing the maps, but I just ran through my normal access methods and did not encounter any new problems. Going to the small area map in the upper right still gives me a generalized road map. Clicking the small "i" in the upper right of the larger map down the right side of the page still gives me a better map with options for different scales of satellite image and a dumbed down topographic. It sometimes defaults to Palo Alto like it always has before the update, but refreshing the page almost always fixes that on the first try.

The Geocaching.com Google Map link works fine to see the cache and other nearby ones as does the direct Google Maps link for a good view without the large icon covering ground zero.

MAC OSX 10.4.11

Safari 4.0.4

Maybe it was a temporary link problem caused by the update yesterday? ...or maybe if you are not on a high speed connection something is timing out? I know I've had fewer problems since going with a DSL.

Edited by edscott

Not sure how you are accessing the maps, but I just ran through my normal access methods and did not encounter any new problems. Going to the small area map in the upper right still gives me a generalized road map. Clicking the small "i" in the upper right of the larger map down the right side of the page still gives me a better map with options for different scales of satellite image and a dumbed down topographic. It sometimes defaults to Palo Alto like it always has before the update, but refreshing the page almost always fixes that on the first try.

The Geocaching.com Google Map link works fine to see the cache and other nearby ones as does the direct Google Maps link for a good view without the large icon covering ground zero.

MAC OSX 10.4.11

Safari 4.0.4

Maybe it was a temporary link problem caused by the update yesterday? ...or maybe if you are not on a high speed connection something is timing out? I know I've had fewer problems since going with a DSL.

I have a high speed connection with comcast. The geocaching with google maps is the problem. It is the one that displays the map and caches also.

Hummm.. I just checked all four choices... Map, Satellite, Topo and My topo. All worked OK from here. What I did notice a few minutes ago is that if I want to see a trackables route map it defaults to the map version with no option to see satellite or topo versions.. but maybe it has always been that way. Try a cache in a totally different area. I have had Google maps temporarily screw up for one region and still be ok somewhere else. Separate servers? whatever? it happens. Heres the one I'm looking at http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...p;lng=-75.84515

update: Just tried Firefox 3.5.7 and that's fine for me too.

Edited by edscott

Yes I am having the same problem. Since yesterday's update. It must be a problem with Safari and Snow Leopard. Works fine on my daughter's Mac which has OSX 10.5.8. Firefox is ok with me too. It does not matter how or where you access maps the result is the same. Black bar with loading maps and busy symbol stays in the middle of the map and caches do not show. It has been like it all day today. The maps will respond to zooming, change to satelite view etc. but no caches and 'loading maps' stays on screen.

Edited by Captain Bird's Eye

Yes I am having the same problem. Since yesterday's update. It must be a problem with Safari and Snow Leopard. Works fine on my daughter's Mac which has OSX 10.5.8. Firefox is ok with me too

Firefox (3.5.7) is failing in the same way for me. IE (8) is working correctly.

I'm very confused with these reports and attempting to find some common theme, so far without success.

I seem to recall a problem many months ago with Norton antivirus. For those of you having these mapping issues - are you running Norton by any chance?

I am not running Norton Antivirus. In short it works on my wife's windows machine, and my daughter's Mac with Leopard OS but not my Mac with which is totally up to date in MacOSX and Safari versions.

I am having the same problem. The map that shows the caches won't fully load. Map only flls half the space for it, and the black "loading map..." box stays in the middle.

Mac 10.6.2, using Safari and Firefox don't work. Somehow, Google Chrome does load the map properly, so those having trouble, try chrome.

Having not worked all day, Maps on a Macbook Pro with OSX 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.4 is suddenly working again. What a relief! Who cares about the cosmetic stuff others are concerned about. Having had it taken away from you for a day you are glad to get it back wart 'n' all.

I guess your gain is my loss. I just printed out a page to use the map to find a cache.. as I always do. The printed page has a blank space about 4.5 x 5 inches in the upper left, another blank space about 3.5 x5 inches in the lower right and a fine postage stamp sized map at the bottom edge of page 1. ...well, it's really 2 inches square. I'l have to figure out the scale later. There is no right margin and everything beyond the middle of the 4th attribute box is gone. I know the trend is to go paperless but I'll bet lots of people still will want use a paper copy.

PS can't use the "print friendly" version because there is not option on that map for satellite images... Looks like I'm done until it gets fixed. :lol:

Edited by edscott

Having not worked all day, Maps on a Macbook Pro with OSX 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.4 is suddenly working again. What a relief! Who cares about the cosmetic stuff others are concerned about. Having had it taken away from you for a day you are glad to get it back wart 'n' all.

I guess your gain is my loss. I just printed out a page to use the map to find a cache.. as I always do. The printed page has a blank space about 4.5 x 5 inches in the upper left, another blank space about 3.5 x5 inches in the lower right and a fine postage stamp sized map at the bottom edge of page 1. ...well, it's really 2 inches square. I'l have to figure out the scale later. There is no right margin and everything beyond the middle of the 4th attribute box is gone. I know the trend is to go paperless but I'll bet lots of people still will want use a paper copy.

PS can't use the "print friendly" version because there is not option on that map for satellite images... Looks like I'm done until it gets fixed. :lol:

I hadn't even tried printing so you had me worried there! Did a test print and all fine except that the caches are just blank squares with no icon in them.

Sandini is having the same problem...no caches are being downloaded since the updates last night. I'm on Firefox as well.java script:emoticon(':lol:',%20'smid_15')

Having not worked all day, Maps on a Macbook Pro with OSX 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.4 is suddenly working again. What a relief! Who cares about the cosmetic stuff others are concerned about. Having had it taken away from you for a day you are glad to get it back warts 'n' all.

We haven't made any updates to the site since yesterday evening, about 6pm pacific. So something on your end changed during this time that magically fixed the maps. Any idea what that could be? Perhaps logging out/in and starting a new session was the solution.

I'm very confused with these reports and attempting to find some common theme, so far without success.

I seem to recall a problem many months ago with Norton antivirus. For those of you having these mapping issues - are you running Norton by any chance?

I'm using Norton AntiVirus and having the problem, but I see that someone else who uses Norton isn't so that's not it.

When I go to cache page and click on the lower map and open it up the map does not load but the caches do, very slow I might add. Then when I click on the satellite view it shows the map but not the satellite view, seems like the Map and satellite button have been switched running windows Vista.

I hadn't even tried printing so you had me worried there! Did a test print and all fine except that the caches are just blank squares with no icon in them.

I'm used to printing the cache page with the larger map modified to satellite image and scaled in one click closer. Can't do that now so I'm doing a screen shot of the map, dragging it into a word document and putting 6 on a page. Looks like I'll be caching in multiples of 6 for while, but at least I can still go. Seems like they are doing all these changes just to a make me use a GPS... Sorry for the problems it's causing the rest of you... :P

I am running windows XP and chrome...as of yesterday, the caches don't load on the main map for me. (map loads but gets stuck "loading map" at the point of adding green cache bubbles).

It happens whether I use the "Map It" icon button or click on the preview map from a cache description page.

It does however work in IE on same computer

EDIT:

THIS SUGGESTION Worked for me

Go to the map that isn't loading, in windows hold the shift key and then F5. That will cause your internet cache to totally reload the page and the scripts.

Edited by LA-Aidan

Mine was still doing it this morning with Safari 4.0.4 and OSX 10.6.2 and no Nortons. I cleared the cache from Safari and closed browser, reopened and it works fine now. It is doing something that it was doing since before the update. It says at the bottom of the browser page on Safari that it is loading http://www.geocaching.com/ completed 9 of 10 items and never finishes. The numbers changes on opening the broswer different times. It looks like the ad under the links on the left side of home page is missing. I think there is a minor bug still.

I have the same problem. Norton AntiVirus is installed.

My daughter has Safari 4.0.3 and and the map loads correctly. No Norton AntiVirus.