Duplicate Logging of Trackables

Dale n Barb

I am sure this has been discussed in the past but I can't find anything on it. How many would like to see a new feature on Groundspeak that would tell you if you have already logged a certain coin or TB? When you type in the number something would pop up and say you have already discovered/moved this trackable do you want to log it again? We have a lot of people that like to discover our collection. But many times when we add new ones they log discovers on coins they have already discovered. What does everyone think?

I think I would still dislike getting your tracking numbers, enter them in and find that I have logged one or more before. Perhaps you should specify the dates you added coins. Then based on the last time I logged your collection I would know which ones you've added since then.

Although you'd probably get more input over in the coin forum.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You would get more input in the geocoin forums, since you are talking about binders of geocoins, and not binders full of TB tags, so let's move it there, and if enough people think it's a good idea, we'll send it over to the geocaching.com website forums, where they discuss feature changes. Sound good?

Do people really do that? Forget they've already discovered a coin in someone's binder, discover it again in the same collection/binder and get annoyed by it? I'd find it funny that I was too engrossed with getting the tracking number (and icon) that I didn't notice the coin until I found my earlier log! :lol:

This reminds me of Kealia's recent thread asking what is more attractive the coins or the icons!!

Edited by Droo

Obviously I did not get my point across in the original post. This is not just about someone logging ones collection. That was just an example. My main idea is you pick up a trackable (geocoin or TB it does not matter) from a cache. You log it then move it along. Then say 6 months later you run across the same trackable in another cache. You go to log and realize you have already logged it. For instance (again just an example) we have picked up a nascar race car and moved it along then found another one that looks identical. You have no idea without going back through all the logs to see if you have logged it or not. So it would be nice if a pop up said you already logged this one.

The pop up could be disabled for the owners of the trackables so that when you dip it into caches you do not get this message.

Maybe it would be nice. I'm pretty serious about travel bugs and would rather just see them picked up and move them properly rather than notifying someone they had moved it before. Besides why would knowing that you picked up a bug before matter that much? So you can avoid it?

I've moved the same bug before. I recognized it and just moved it again. It's not a common occurrence for bugs in the wild, but it does seem to be an issue for those mass Discover loggers.

I think in principle it`s a good idea.

But there are some cachers, who log one or more of their own coin in every cache they make and it would be very annoying for these people to get a note every time they log it in and out.

Well I think that it would go without saying that that feature, if implemented, would not hold for coins that you own and are logging. If you are the owner, and it is in your possession, then obviously you have already logged it in the past.

How would this prevent you from picking up a bug/coin that you've already moved/discovered? You'd still have to pick it up and take it home to find out one way or the other, then have to log it out then move it and drop it into a new cache. Sorry for being difficult but I don't get it.

I don't know. I kinda like the idea. If I moved a coin/TB and forgot it, or it comes back in a year, and I pick it up again it would be nice to have the pop up to tell me I moved it one time before. I'd get a kick out of finding out I moved it. Right now, I'd only know if I went through all the logs to find mine. (I do go through the logs of coins/TB I move, but I only look at the first 2 pages. I have found that I moved a coin twice and was tickled.)

I don't know. I kinda like the idea. If I moved a coin/TB and forgot it, or it comes back in a year, and I pick it up again it would be nice to have the pop up to tell me I moved it one time before. I'd get a kick out of finding out I moved it. Right now, I'd only know if I went through all the logs to find mine. (I do go through the logs of coins/TB I move, but I only look at the first 2 pages. I have found that I moved a coin twice and was tickled.)

Thank you Firefly for understanding what I am saying.

The point is not to prevent you from moving it again the point is just to let you know you have already logged that particular trackable in the past. We move trackables all the time.

The point is not to prevent you from moving it again the point is just to let you know you have already logged that particular trackable in the past. We move trackables all the time.

Maybe instead of a pop-up or a warning, it would show up with a little check-mark or something, to signify that you have already done something to this trackable at some point in the past. They do this with caches in a list, right? Why not trackables?

Maybe instead of a pop-up or a warning, it would show up with a little check-mark or something, to signify that you have already done something to this trackable at some point in the past. They do this with caches in a list, right? Why not trackables?

Ooo.I like that idea better than a pop-up. Good call!

I can see where this would come in handy with all the nametag geocoins that get logged at events. Then you would have a reminder of when you last met or saw someone... :P good idea!

Oooooooh, I get it now.... sorry for being so dense.

hi, newbie here, I have 1 travel bug and a duplicate. Can I put both in a geocache?

Thanks pal, any help will be greatly appreciated. adkscout in new york

Maybe it would be nice. I'm pretty serious about travel bugs and would rather just see them picked up and move them properly rather than notifying someone they had moved it before. Besides why would knowing that you picked up a bug before matter that much? So you can avoid it?

I've moved the same bug before. I recognized it and just moved it again. It's not a common occurrence for bugs in the wild, but it does seem to be an issue for those mass Discover loggers.

hi, newbie here, I have 1 travel bug and a duplicate. Can I put both in a geocache?

When you purchase a TB tag you are provided two copies of the same number however you only release one at a time. Should your travel bug go missing you can re-release it using the copy tag.

Releasing multiple bugs with the same tracking number is against guidelines.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm newby here. adkscout

When you purchase a TB tag you are provided two copies of the same number however you only release one at a time. Should your travel bug go missing you can re-release it using the copy tag.

Releasing multiple bugs with the same tracking number is against guidelines.