Best of the Best

The Could Not Zee's

Hi There

As discussed in the newbie blues topic, herewith a place to highlight all the best logs, caches, finds, places, experiences etc which would normally only be known to GC’s active in the area.

The idea came about while reading the topic “What’s gone wrong” posted by GPS Storm as well as various other grumbles about short logs on the website. CapeDoc also provided a link to a great post by cownchicken which I found very amusing. If CapeDoc did not provide me with the link I would probably never have read this log as I am not active in that area. I am sure that there must be many gems like these hidden on the website and if we had a place where the good people could share with the rest of us, this should create an interesting topic.

When I mentioned the idea in newbie blues gerhardoosMPsa also contributed with an interesting link to one of his caches (GC1DDRY).

Hopefully this will also assist in the awareness that good caches deserve good logs.

cownchicken's log... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...bb-651ffce7d449

Happy caching

<_<

Over the last few years we have collected a few gems while researching for the Geocackles part of the Cape Finds newsletter.

This one was a log by Discombob for Heuningberg.

This must be probably the most dramatic cache I have done.

I was on a 3 day trip with Shaka, and we were just on our way from Agulhas to De Hoop, when it started pouring down with rain. It didn't look like it was going to let up, and Shaka had a bit of a cold, so she didn't want to do this cache in the rain. Got to the gate, and it was closed for cars in the weekend, and the cache was 1.3 km's away. I decided to run and grab the cache, while Shaka did some shopping and reading in the car while she waited for me.

I didn't take the obvious path to the right, and went off to the left running up the mountain on a confusing mish-mash of paths. When i got back to the main path, I headed off in the direction of the cache, but this path did not seem to be heading in the right way after a while. (Due to the heavy mist and rain, I could not see my destination or anything else for that matter.) I had to backtrack, and try another path, which didn't look like it headed in the right direction either, but it was my only option. This started to look very wrong too, and I was getting frustrated by now, as I did not want to keep Shaka waiting too long.

At last I found a third path which looked correct, but by now my breath was ragged and I was panting like a crazed beast, not allowing myself a break due to time issues. At last I found the top, but alas, I then struggled to locate the cache, as there were hundreds of rocks around. I tried to read the clues on the sheet (folded up in my pocket), but it was so wet, the paper just fell apart when i tried to open it. I seemed to recall something about looking in the direction of the silos, but the rain and wind was really heavy now, so I had no idea which direction they were. After a bit of desperate searching, I decided it was taking too long, and quit, cos Shaka would be bored by now. just as I decided to quit, thankfully, there was the cache right beside me! Due to the rain, could not sign the book, so threw in my bottle opener, and grabbed the Keummerling, as this looked like a great restorative to warm me up! It worked a treat.

Twisted my ankle slightly on the way down, but thankfully not too badly, and managed to get back to Shaka, just before she was about too call the rescue party.

Now, this might sound like the end of the story, but it wasn't. Heading off to De Hoop, I found my fantastic waterproof GPSr had completely gone on the blink, and no amount of sticking it in front of the car heater would help. Sadly we had to abandon our plans to find Whale Tales due to this, and managed to get Swellendam Reservoir without my GPSr. Luckily, after a day and a half of complete deadness, it started working again, but it still shows a few signs every now and again of going on the blink.

To top that all off, all the running in the heavy rain had apparently caused a bit of friction with my shirt, giving me severe nipple burn, which lasted at least 3 days, and made it agony to shower. The scars are just fading now!

This clearly is the most unrewarding, yet rewarding cache at the same time I have ever done!

Hi There

This could be interpreted in many ways, because all places are different, and different types of terrain offer different things to different people, but the best place I have found as a direct result of Geocaching, is without doubt "Hole in the wall" posted by Noddy (GCVP8R).

This find was so unexpected (we happened to be in the area and had a bit of time to kill so I just looked for caches in the area on the Iphone). We basically found the cache on the phone and followed the GPS to the location. What a pleasant surprise. I can definitely recommend this cache as a must see if you are in the area and have not been there before.

Oh yes, by the way, we did not find the cache as the GPS wanted us to climb up a vertical wall. Due to time constraints, we did not have a sufficient time search the whole area with a fine toothcomb. Somehow this did not feel like a DNF though.

GC

Edited by The Could Not Zee's

One from the man who is invited to all caches. I can not beat this log. Newbies please take note. Gerhard

I revived my phone, so I guess its time for this log.

Coming from Beula, I looked at the weather, and it seemed like a cool and overcast afternoon, just perfect for a stroll up the mountain. If rain would come, I'd be back down, I thought. All I had to do, was to quickly get the waypoint, punch it in, go get the cache, come back - no problem.

Well I was wrong.

(13:37) I searched for the way point using the clue, and then ignoring the clue, wondering if I was confusing left from right. No waypoint, yes I'm sure, its not there. I know, because I checked every possible spot.

Then the rain came.

I returned to my bakkie, re-reading the listing and all the previous logs. No extra clues there. A torch might help, I thought, still raining quite heavily, also thinking I made the effort to be here now, not knowing when I'd have the chance to come back. Just as I was formulating my rather nasty DNF log, the rain lifted and I had another look for the way point using the torch. Needless to say, don't bother bringing one - it is of no help. Still nothing, nope, not there..

How could 1Snowy have found it yesterday? Did they forget to replace it? I'll email later and find out.

Rather moedeloos I had one last look before leaving, just maybe I missed it...

All of a sudden a stationary car appeared in the street, and I heard the guy behind the wheel asking something like: "soek jy ook een van daai goetertjies, wat noem julle dit?" Turned out to be the cache owner's neighbour, who had a box of delicious looking slap chips on the passenger seat next to him. I said: "Geocaching, maar ek kry hom nie, is hy nog daar?" As luck would have it, he knew where it was, saying “Ons was net gister hier, moet ek jou wys?”. I recall saying something that resembles “asseblief” on which he got out of his car, took out the waypoint from a spot exactly where I had looked almost continuously for the last hour, and put in into my hand, saying “daarshy”. This took him no more than two seconds flat. I felt like kissing him so glad was I, but rather just thanked him, thinking a kiss just might not go down as well as the slap chips. He pointed me to the gate and drove off, waving good bye and saying, “ek sal hom sê Jors was hier!”

By now it wasn't raining anymore, was only a passing shower earlier, and all is well. I was still on track.

Keeping the cache name in mind, it's a good thing I had brought my walking stick, just for that extra bit of balance. Three legs has always been better than two. Either way, I had hardly reached the higher gate, when it started dripping again. Only a few loose drops, the shower had mos passed, quickly up and down this hill, I thought. I can't be that bad? My rucksack is watertight, water bottle is still full, sunscreen and hat thankfully not necessary today. Still perfect conditions for a stroll up the hill.

(14:32) I quickly passed through the overgrowth getting to what I thought was the slip 'n slide part, saying to myself: “Self, dis nie so bad nie, ek is sommer nou-nou daar”. Soon after, I reached the first rock outcrop, then the heavens opened up. The shower of earlier was nothing compared to this. In no time I was soaking wet, but there's no other way but up. I haven't come all this way to turn back now...

I was pleasantly surprised at the gripping power of my cheapskate 'Made in China' crocs copy footwear. It stuck to the rocks like the waypoint's magnet to the steel. (hint) That, and my modified golf club walking stick, made the trek up the hill (that somehow turned into a mountain) almost easy. The rain poured down, then seemed to ease off slightly, then coming down with more of a vengeance. At some stage I moved my eye glasses to my pocket to enable me to see at least something. I have seen glasses with wipers in a old black and white movie once, perhaps I should get some of those. I kept going, passing on the right of the white flag until my trusty GPSr told me to slow down. The GPSr is nice and clean now, all the dust is washed off, and its IPX7-rating confirmed. It's good to know, isn't it? This same GPSr also took me right to the spot, umm... well... almost.

(14:45) Did some drunken bee dancing, like only sopping wet bees (and some other animals, about which I won't elaborate) would do, poking my walking stick under every probable rock and eventually...

(15:05) Struck gold! The rain is still pouring down, as such that I can only see a white haze in the distance where the suburbs should have been seen. I however, have no idea what the gold looks like, I only tried to use my body as a shield against the rain as best I could whilst quickly scribbling my name in the logbook, trying too keep it as dry as possible. I really hope it didnt get too wet, and if it did, umm... sorry. I won't do it again, I promise. At least not for this cache.

Smiling happily, whilst experiencing no lesser feeling of accomplishment than I had when finding my first cache almost nine years ago, I slowly and carefully made my way back down to where I parked. There's no need to rush now, even my underwear is sopping wet, but on the bright side, I'm drying as fast as I'm getting wet. It's a good place to be, remembering the one other time I also got caught in the rain while returning from now archived cache, Urban Tag #2 (Hike, Bike, or 4x4) (GCJMGD) almost four years ago.

(15:25) Back at my bakkie, I opened what I thought to be my watertight rucksack, only to find my mobile phone in a puddle of water, inside the plastic bag I thought would protect it if some drops of water would find their way in. I quickly removed the battery, and while driving back home, still dripping and smiling, I successfully dried the phone using the bakkie's built in heater, made specially for that purpose. All is well now, ready for another day.

Oja, Danie, net ingeval jy wonder, ek het die waypoint weer gebêre op sy plek.

StirfS, if you missed it, I had an unforgettably great experience, thank you very much!

Soemwhere in the world other cachers also do proper logs. Another example of a good log.

February 1, 2009 by martinusen (1447 found)

Well, today was the Super Bowl. I had planned on taking a quick hike to the Bridge to Nowhere this morning after church and watching the game with some friends afterwards. As I loaded a few GC's in the area I couldn't help but notice Iron Mountain just a mile to the East. It has been on my things to do list for over a year. I had not committed myself to the idea, but I told my wife that I would be home no later than 9:00PM. The life insurance is paid up so she didn't have a problem with it. I probably should have skipped church this morning to get an early start.

I stopped at the Ranger Station on Hwy 39 to get the Wilderness permit for the Sheep Mountain Wilderness. The ranger advised me that the trail is not maintained beyond the Sheep Mountain Wilderness boundary. The official policy is to let it return to it's natural condition. In other words, let the trail get overgrown till it is no longer usable. Sure enough, the trail was moderately overgrown in many places.

From the Coldwater Saddle, it was less than 2 miles as the crow flies, to the top. The trail was really steep and, not being a crow, it took longer to get to the top than I estimated. The wind really picked up as I ascended the ridge, but it was fairly calm on the peak. The view was well worth it. I signed the peak register and the cache log just in time to watch the sunset. I had about 30-45 minutes before it got dark, and there was not much of a moon either. I broke out the headlamp and continued down the trail.

Now I really do not mind hiking in the dark, in fact I rather enjoy it. But, I lost the trail 5 times. The first four were not that bad, I just missed a turn. But the last one had me scratching my head. The trail just vanished and there I was with no idea which way to go. For some reason, my "tracks" on my Garmin were erased from the first couple miles. I knew that my car was just a mile and a half over that direction, I just wasn't sure if I had missed my turn, or just lost the trail. I trusted the map and once I found where I had lost the trail, I continued on my way. I can't imagine being out there without a light. Even with my light I missed my turns. I can't wait to see how many people get lost after the Forest Service lets the trails get more overgrown. Once I crossed out of the Sheep Mountain Wilderness, I figured I was home free.. Wrong.

True, the trail was maintained from this point on, and I never lost the trail again, but I was not expecting to be watched. I do not know for sure what it was, I am pretty sure it was feline, and I am positive that it was watching me. At first I noticed 2 small lights up on the hill, but I soon realized that it was the reflection of a pair of eyes from an animal that appeared to be stalking me. I yelled at it several times, and it moved just 5-10 feet away and took up a new position. For all I know, it could have been a mountain lion looking for dinner. It was up on the hill just out of range of my rock throwing ability. I don't usually spook easily, but I was pretty uncomfortable. I had not seen anybody for hours, and my cell phone does not work within 10 miles of here. I started to pick up the pace and made a lot of noise. I was in a fast jog, singing "I don't know but I've been told..." After a while, I was pretty sure that I was no longer being watched. It had been a long time since I saw those eyes staring back at me.

Well, I made it back to the car in one piece. I drank every drop of my 1 gallon of water. All in all, it was 15 miles, 11 hours, 6000' elevation gain. I think that this was the steepest mountain that I have ever climbed. I think the Vivian Creek Trail to Mount San Gorgonio would be a close 2nd place to this one. Thanks for placing the cache here. It is in good condition. I wish I was. My legs are killing me. I can't wait to do the next one.

David

Closer to home. Gerhard (From GC17RCZ - owner Gps Storm)

December 26, 2009 by taeros (189 found)

As the reputation of this cache preceeds, it did not disappoint!!!!! On arriving at the cache site i had to take a couple of seconds to assess the situation, just like a Bruce Willis movie everything that could go wrong did go wrong . After reading about the recent installation of a cable car at the cache site i was confident to make it a quick snatch and grab, not to be . Being the day after X-Mas the operator was not anywhere to be found, all the costly electrical parts that were carefully sourced from a contractor (that was involved with a prominent construction project in the area), seem to have been a victim of "affirmative shopping", as for the construction of the cable car and the necessary infrastructure which was obviously done by an overpayed and under qualified contractor, was of such a bad standard that i would not have asked my worst enemy to use it, to add to my woe's there was a storm looming and it became very clear i would have to do it the hard way. This meant a long, hard hike down the gorge, through shoulder high brambles, just to reach a Pirana infested river that was turned into a raging torrent after a week of torrential rains. All that remained of the rope bridge was a couple of strands of rope hanging off the surrounding trees, after collecting enough of it I managed to swing to the other side. There i managed to find the cache, and have a well deserved rest before attempting the hike out of the gorge on the other side. To make matters worse the storm that was looming decided to let rip and all visibility went out the window, now i know what Indiana Jones must have felt like. All i could do was to take shelter in the hollow of a tree and sit it out, after ± 3 hours, 12min and 35sec i was cold, wet and hungry and still a long way from my car. To make a long story short the hike was hell. 4 Hours up and up and 5 hours round the mountain only to get to my car to find it was stripped, chopped and carted away for scrap metal or drug money . But is that not why we do this???

December 25, 2009 by Gps Storm (326 found)

Wow, this cache has been nothing but trouble for me, sorry Docgerhard. With help and colaboration of Docgerhard and financial boost over the merry season we where able to use the remnant anchoring poles of the escelator to put up a cable car to get you to the top easier (see attached photo hint - just in case the cammo hides it too well).

I really hope this cable car lasts a little longer than the other solutions I've had. Have fun!!! Will any cachers please let me know if the homeless guy we hired to operate the cable way isn't there, cause he should be on 24/7 duty (thats the least he could do for the R5 a week he gets paid).

December 19, 2009 by DiePienaars (807 found)

This cache was on our To Do list for our holiday.

We came prepared (Backpack with water and food), but when we parked at the waypoint, we decided to that only I would attempt it as it was clear that the terrain rating is certainly a four maybe a five, but after I did not return for a while, the rest off the family came looking me. As I reached the family I found my daughter showing signs of going into early labour. It took us the whole afternoon to get her down the hill as there are no signs off the rope or escalator. Luckily the hospital was just around the corner and reached it just in time. This incident almost spoiled our holiday in the Lowfeld but can now say with pride that I am a grandfather of twins.

Thanks we will not forget this cache ever.

No TB in cache found.

November 15, 2009 by docgerhard (76 found)

I thought everything about this cache was a joke... This is no $#%@#$ joke.

After a nice Sunday afternoon lunch, the girlfriend and I set out to try this cache before the evening jamming session with the band at church. Arriving at the parking area, I thought to myself, "Agh, piece of cake..."; but I could not be more fooled. The recent rain storm of Friday night created a gulley or small ravine where I presume the escalator used to be... there is nothing left of it, except for what seems to have been the anchoring poles or something like that. It is unbelievable that water can do that much erosion in such a small time period, but having lived through the storm I guess anything is possible. I totally underestimated the mud and decided to navigate up along the edge of the gulley to the area to which the GPSr seemed to show.

Apart from getting really wet and dirty (almost like the Crystal tour in the Sudwala caves), Frances slipped on the mud and went down into the gulley. Thank goodness she did not break any bones, but I think geocaching would not be high up on her to do list for the next couple of weeks - speaking of "pimpel en pers" As if being dirty was not enough, the gulley/ravine was too deep for me to reach her hand to pull her up, so I had to leave her there. After struggling down the slope for who knows how long, I finally reached the car to get a towing rope, only to face the mud a second time. With a lot of effort, I finally managed to pull her up - so much for an easy Sunday afternoon cache, but hey thanks for the additional exercise

After catching my breath, we decided that we had to continue on to the cache despite the initial misfortune. The last 10 metres to the cache was the hardest - I did not want to get electrocuted by the electric fence marking the beginning of someone else's property. And anyway, who in their right mind wants to put an electric fence to keep things out this far out into the bush?

I thought the cache container was brilliant and the innovation of the hider made the struggle of getting to it worth the effort.

In: Grasshopper and soldier

Out: Cow and dolphin

PS The 100 trillion dollar TB is no longer in the cache.

Thanks for the cache GPS Storm, and maybe, just maybe if you offer me a drink we can forget the initial misfortunes I suffered on this cache...

Edited by gerhardoosMPsa

Closer to home. Gerhard

December 26, 2009 by taeros (189 found)

As the reputation of this cache preceeds, it did not disappoint!!!!! On arriving at the cache site i had to take a couple of seconds to assess the situation, just like a Bruce Willis movie everything that could go wrong did go wrong . After reading about the recent installation of a cable car at the cache site i was confident to make it a quick snatch and grab, not to be . Being the day after X-Mas the operator was not anywhere to be found, all the costly electrical parts that were carefully sourced from a contractor (that was involved with a prominent construction project in the area), seem to have been a victim of "affirmative shopping", as for the construction of the cable car and the necessary infrastructure which was obviously done by an overpayed and under qualified contractor, was of such a bad standard that i would not have asked my worst enemy to use it, to add to my woe's there was a storm looming and it became very clear i would have to do it the hard way. This meant a long, hard hike down the gorge, through shoulder high brambles, just to reach a Pirana infested river that was turned into a raging torrent after a week of torrential rains. All that remained of the rope bridge was a couple of strands of rope hanging off the surrounding trees, after collecting enough of it I managed to swing to the other side. There i managed to find the cache, and have a well deserved rest before attempting the hike out of the gorge on the other side. To make matters worse the storm that was looming decided to let rip and all visibility went out the window, now i know what Indiana Jones must have felt like. All i could do was to take shelter in the hollow of a tree and sit it out, after ± 3 hours, 12min and 35sec i was cold, wet and hungry and still a long way from my car. To make a long story short the hike was hell. 4 Hours up and up and 5 hours round the mountain only to get to my car to find it was stripped, chopped and carted away for scrap metal or drug money . But is that not why we do this???

December 25, 2009 by Gps Storm (326 found)

Wow, this cache has been nothing but trouble for me, sorry Docgerhard. With help and colaboration of Docgerhard and financial boost over the merry season we where able to use the remnant anchoring poles of the escelator to put up a cable car to get you to the top easier (see attached photo hint - just in case the cammo hides it too well).

I really hope this cable car lasts a little longer than the other solutions I've had. Have fun!!! Will any cachers please let me know if the homeless guy we hired to operate the cable way isn't there, cause he should be on 24/7 duty (thats the least he could do for the R5 a week he gets paid).

December 19, 2009 by DiePienaars (807 found)

This cache was on our To Do list for our holiday.

We came prepared (Backpack with water and food), but when we parked at the waypoint, we decided to that only I would attempt it as it was clear that the terrain rating is certainly a four maybe a five, but after I did not return for a while, the rest off the family came looking me. As I reached the family I found my daughter showing signs of going into early labour. It took us the whole afternoon to get her down the hill as there are no signs off the rope or escalator. Luckily the hospital was just around the corner and reached it just in time. This incident almost spoiled our holiday in the Lowfeld but can now say with pride that I am a grandfather of twins.

Thanks we will not forget this cache ever.

No TB in cache found.

November 15, 2009 by docgerhard (76 found)

I thought everything about this cache was a joke... This is no $#%@#$ joke.

After a nice Sunday afternoon lunch, the girlfriend and I set out to try this cache before the evening jamming session with the band at church. Arriving at the parking area, I thought to myself, "Agh, piece of cake..."; but I could not be more fooled. The recent rain storm of Friday night created a gulley or small ravine where I presume the escalator used to be... there is nothing left of it, except for what seems to have been the anchoring poles or something like that. It is unbelievable that water can do that much erosion in such a small time period, but having lived through the storm I guess anything is possible. I totally underestimated the mud and decided to navigate up along the edge of the gulley to the area to which the GPSr seemed to show.

Apart from getting really wet and dirty (almost like the Crystal tour in the Sudwala caves), Frances slipped on the mud and went down into the gulley. Thank goodness she did not break any bones, but I think geocaching would not be high up on her to do list for the next couple of weeks - speaking of "pimpel en pers" As if being dirty was not enough, the gulley/ravine was too deep for me to reach her hand to pull her up, so I had to leave her there. After struggling down the slope for who knows how long, I finally reached the car to get a towing rope, only to face the mud a second time. With a lot of effort, I finally managed to pull her up - so much for an easy Sunday afternoon cache, but hey thanks for the additional exercise

After catching my breath, we decided that we had to continue on to the cache despite the initial misfortune. The last 10 metres to the cache was the hardest - I did not want to get electrocuted by the electric fence marking the beginning of someone else's property. And anyway, who in their right mind wants to put an electric fence to keep things out this far out into the bush?

I thought the cache container was brilliant and the innovation of the hider made the struggle of getting to it worth the effort.

In: Grasshopper and soldier

Out: Cow and dolphin

PS The 100 trillion dollar TB is no longer in the cache.

Thanks for the cache GPS Storm, and maybe, just maybe if you offer me a drink we can forget the initial misfortunes I suffered on this cache...

HI Gerhard - which cache is this?

Here is an interesting one!

cownchicken found Chappie's Sarmie (Traditional Cache)

2pm. This one I won't forget soon.

Cow couldn't accompany me today so tackled it on my own from Noordhoek parking

area as suggested.

I'd passed the last of the people enjoying the sun and started the boulder hopping.

When I stopped for a breather, an American visitor caught up from behind.

Said he was staying in Kommetjie for a couple of weeks and could he walk with

me as he was keen to see how far one could follow the coast.

He also felt better walking in company.

I looked at the GPS and said OK, but I would be turning back after 300 metres and I would think that's

as far as one could safely go.

"Are you a geocacher? I have a friend who lives for them! Ranked 9th in the US. Goes by the name of Jim Moody

(Moodey,Moodly?) Not sure what his alias is. Finds plenty, places plenty, but I've never found one."

I was happy to invite him along.

Now I'm one of those cachers, like Tricky Vicky, who doesn't bother with all the intermediate coords.

We are here, the cache is there - go and fetch it. (Sometimes we suffer the consequences!)

At one point, I decided to head down closer to the water as going up just seemed too much hard work.

I found a place where you could squeeze under a large boulder and out the other side.

The water was moving down below but it wasn't really risky.

I waited for yonks at the other side but my partner did not appear.

I assumed he had turned back. Something he had said earlier had made me doubt his experience.

Carried on, found the cache and decided to walk back along Chappies Drive and then head down to

the beach closer to the parking area.

I was about 100 metres from the parking spot when a chap came running toward me. Turned out to be a Sea Rescue shore crew member .

"Are you with the geocaching people?! The NSRI has launched! A helicopter has been despatched! SANPARKS has sent a foot patrol with your hiking partner to look for you. He saw you going into a hole and was convinced you'd been swept out to sea. Listen, there's the chopper now! "

My guardian angel had come running back and alerted everybody that I was in trouble.

When they asked whether I had gone in and out the other side, he'd said there was no way he was going in there to look.

In the parking area were also 2 SANPARKS chaps with radio's.

I tried explaining that I didn't know this guy at all and I was never in any trouble, but it still felt as though they were all a bit sceptical.

I've never felt more guilty for something I didn't do!

Exciting cache!

Thanks!

Big ups to Cism for this post for Paths of the Dead:

"It so happened, that Aracism, Aradoc and Arapooks had to help turn the tide at Pellenor Fields again. The great explorer Arapooks was a well travelled man who had visited the King of the Dead before and so it came upon that he was chosen to lead the way. The three brave souls climbed towards the white mountain and met a man and a child along the way. They greeted friendly and decided to undertake the journey together. But the climb was tough, the sun was high and the wind was strong and it was just as they reached the mighty River Anduin, that the youngest of them, Araben, could go no further at the pace of Arapooks. As the Battle of Pellenor Fields was raging on and time was scarce, the three warriors decided to continue alone, leaving Araben in the care of his father Araphil. They reached the shelter of Rohirrim without delay, but from here, there are many paths into the white mountain. Arapooks and Gandalfs power Staff remembered the way and soon they found the entry to the Paths of the dead. They had no elven twine, but only a papyrus to guide them. Their journey was arduous and full of hardship and as they went deeper down the Paths, the ancient character of Araron decided to follow them with his disciples, inspired by the courage of the three warriors. So the Three forged ahead through the narrow paths, and crawled through the ashes of the dead on their hands, knees and bellies. Their journey was long and hard, but they found the King of the Dead. Araron, having seen the sheer terror on Aradoc's and Arapooks' faces on the path of the dead had sent for help, but their saviours did not reach the Paths before Arapooks and Aradoc returned unharmed to the light of day. The King of the Dead was pleased by the appearance of the three warriors and so it came that the legion of dead soldiers was released. The Battle of Pellenor Fields was won and thus Arapooks, Aradoc and Aracism ensured victory for the forces of good!"

and nice one Henzz for this post!

"I deftly outsmarted the 3 headed dog, using all the sly trickery that one picks up here at Hogwarts School. After disembarking my broom I started in my quest to reach the Philosopher's Cache. Lord Cache-a-lot had no idea as yet that I was on the trail, but I had a creepy feeling that it would not be too long before he would get wind of my intention.

A neatly hidden cylinder demanded my attention. I slowly peeked inside, not knowing what to expect. Then everything became blury, as I realized that I was trapped in the Devil's Snare. A mild panic set in when I felt the life sucked out of me as it's tentacles squeezed ever more tightly around me. I feverously searched for a way out, and found it just as the blackness creeped over the edge of conciousness. Phew that was a close call.

From there I stumbled to a nearby heavy metal door, that was locked as tight as a bank vault.I sat down for a while and when I fully recovered from my ordeal with the Devil's Snare I pulled out my magic wand, stood up and faced the cold steel in front of me. Just the other day in class the professor taught us about the Alohomora charm... Am I glad I concentrated that day. The door swung open with an eery shriek, and the path beyond was revealed.

A grey old man sat hunched over a chess board on the slopes of the mountain. I've heard rumours about the Duelmaster in the corridors of the school, but we all thought he was just a mithical figure conjoured up by over imaginative Wizzards. He is always mentioned in whispers, as if the gossipper is scared that maybe some Evil would befall them if the Duelmaster would hear their words. He looked at me, and without saying a word pointed to the open chair opposite the board. As I sat down his boney hand shot up from beneath the table, grabbed a hold of a Pawn, and he made his move. He stared me straight in the eye. This was a challenge that I could not back out of. Can I beat him? I just have to if I want to get to the Philosopher's cache. I cleared the sweat from my forehead and then accepted the challenge. Not a word was uttered, and we battled. The sun creeped higher in the sky and the chess game just got more and more intense. Neither Black or White wanted to budge. The battle was furious, the moves fierce, and the war ruthless. His face was etched in shock as I cornered his King. He stared at the board for an eternity, with burning red eyes. Then his shoulders drooped as he realized where he was outsmarted... He looked straight at me, nodded slowly, and pointed to a rock on the horizon.

By now Lord Cache-a-lot took note of my quest. While I made my way to the rock, he swiftly planted a curious riddle, designed to confuse. I found what had to be found but then had to figure out how his sadistic mind works. A mistake here could be lethal...

A dull headache grew behind the "low battery warning"-shaped scar on my forehead, Slowly I lifted the bottle to my mouth. This could be potion or poison, life or death.

Gulp, Gulp, Gulp.

Then I made my way to the most puzzling obstacle I ever encountered since I discovered my incredible talent for finding pointless objects all over the Land. But Lord Cache-a-lot was not impressed, and grabbed a hold of the Sun, and dragged it beneath the waters of the Atlantic. Darkness came from nowhere, and I was forced to grab the Mirror of Erised, and make a run for my broom. An ominous serpent was also hanging around nearby. I've only been enrolled here at Hogwarts School of Cachecraft and Wizzardry for a year now, and do not yet know how to deal with this fiersome creatures.

Back at the Dorm, the final pieces fell in place, and the location of the Philosopher's Cache was revealed. Then I retrieved the magical wand with the Garmin sticker and set of to find the elusive cache this morning.

And there It was. A container full of magic. Young Henzz held it up high in victorious celebration. And in the knoledge that Lord Cache-a-lot has been defeated.."

Hi There

Another creative log I came accross.

September 16, 2009 by Henzz (670 found)

Horus summoned all the Egyptian Gods to a council meeting... The goddess of Wind hastily rushed to his side yesterday with tidings of three travelers from a country far of to the South, that intends to crack the sacred hieroglyphs... This Trio of strangers crossed the mountains and the dessert in recent days with futuristic hand held devices that seems to lead them to all the Pharaoh's treasures...

They realized that the foreigners already had the key to the secret halls of the hidden Pyramids... It would only be a matter of time before they would break through into King Pecky's chambers...

The Sungod, Ra, proposed that some devious curses be placed in their way... This could discourage them, and hopefully turn them back... The decision was unanimous and the Ptah was ordered to implement this plan with cunningness and speed...

The three strangers disembarked their camel at the gates of the secret Pyramids... The decrypted scrolls they carried was for the ancient dialect that was used by priests and kings... The evil spell that was cast here made the hieroglyphs appear different than what it really was... It was now written in the peasant script, which caused lots of confusion...

Hapi and Thoth disguised themselves to appear as young happy kids playing around in the vicinity, as to keep an eye on the "enemy"... Pure determination saw the explorers bypass the first obstacle... From here on they were led down a side tunnel into an empty hall where a heavy door shut behind their backs... But Henzz discovered a mysterious key behind a small trapdoor.... This unlocked a side entrance that led back to the main doorway... A few more calculations saw them overcome the barriers placed in their way, and they made it down the right hallway this time...

They stood in front of the heavy wooden doorway, knowing that the gold lies just behind it... Antron slowly pushed it aside and edged closer to see what treasure lies beyond the doorway... The last of the Egyptian god's ploys then played itself out... Amaunet, one of the minor moon gods took on the shape of an underworld beast... She was half crocodile, and half komodo-dragon... A loud hiss erupted as she attacked from the darkness of the treasure chamber...

Antron has led many expeditions before, but has never experienced a creature as fierce as this before... He retreated so hastily that he nearly knocked his compatriots over... After he realized that he survived the attack, and that the missed heartbeat was just that, and the colour returned to his face, and the other two got their breaths back again, they all edged forward again... Amaunet growled and bared her teeth...

Then came the biggest surprise to the expedition... All the treasure has been removed... The Egyptian Treasure Guardians removed it all before it could be found... It must be nearby, it can't be lost... Maybe they will replace it and will be kinder to the next group of treasure hunters...

I would like to add two more caches to my best of the best list. The thing I enjoy most about Geocaching is finding amazing places and if you have not done these two I would recommend that you do. I really enjoyed the views offered by these caches and maybe because I am normally stuck in the office, it does the soul some good to just be able to get out to nature and enjoy the views.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...b1-2bfba1164aa5

Kloof Falls Viewpoint

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7e-3acad0584c25

Fort Pearson

TCNZ's

I came across this which I quite enjoyed.

Not to mess up your thread too badly, but the first thing that came to mind when I read your post was Kubler-Ross stages of accepting a DNF:

1) Denial. "Must have been muggled! dadgum kids..."

2) Anger. "What kind of moron hides a nano in the middle of the woods?"

3) Bargaining. "Maybe my batteries are running low."

4) Depression. "This is the last stupid geocache I will ever look for!"

5) Acceptance. "Where is the next closest cache?"

I came across this which I quite enjoyed.

Not to mess up your thread too badly, but the first thing that came to mind when I read your post was Kubler-Ross stages of accepting a DNF:

1) Denial. "Must have been muggled! dadgum kids..."

2) Anger. "What kind of moron hides a nano in the middle of the woods?"

3) Bargaining. "Maybe my batteries are running low."

4) Depression. "This is the last stupid geocache I will ever look for!"

5) Acceptance. "Where is the next closest cache?"

Brilliant!!

I wrote a cache listing where I tried to create a scene that played out just over 200 years ago...

The idea is that cachers should imagine what it looked like when the actual historical moment happened...

Sort of transport them back in time... (Treaty Tree)

And along comes Trevorh7000 with a great log like this....

I just loved how he lived himself into the scene...

Those Brits made me laugh before but today I felt nothing but sick. Its 16:12 on 10 January 1806 and I have just witnessed the sickening horror of the Cape being signed over to those bloody Rednecks. This at the old Slave Tree nogal. I see a different kind of slavery now. We'll all be slaves to Colonial Britain I tell you.

They used to have hangings here, I can just imagine those two pompous British offices swaying in the gentle breeze, eyes bulging - strange fruit they would make indeed. But then my mind jumped out the state of dreaming as the reality of the situation dawned fully within my consciousness.

I must leave now, I have had quite enough of the smugness of those Brits - all pomp and ceremony, their waxed mustaches and not a hair out place. Their faces red and puffy though, I suspect from the plentiful victory gin and tonics. I must leave before I am discovered, but not before bearing witness to the tree and the treaty. I dutifully make my mark like the three others who bore witness before me, and then slip away.

Thanks for a super log Trev...

One of my caches was muggled by a chap who thought it was still 2004, but was kind enough to leave a note that reads as follows:

18/04/2004

Thanks for the things that I have found in this stump. It was by accident, you see I was on my was to seeking righteousness from God not from men when I came here to rest. My cigarette but falled into the stump and as I was on my way to Heaven, I smelled the smoke from the fire in the stump. Thats when I saw the bottle. I really dick (dig ?) the cache (eagle??) because I saw it yesterday in the clouds. Its really a mystery from the Lord. Amen. From Leon Sylvester.

5134bc51-a970-45db-8ce1-0b3e27834aa1.jpg

One of my caches was muggled by a chap who thought it was still 2004, but was kind enough to leave a note that reads as follows:

18/04/2004

Thanks for the things that I have found in this stump. It was by accident, you see I was on my was to seeking righteousness from God not from men when I came here to rest. My cigarette but falled into the stump and as I was on my way to Heaven, I smelled the smoke from the fire in the stump. Thats when I saw the bottle. I really dick (dig ?) the cache (eagle??) because I saw it yesterday in the clouds. Its really a mystery from the Lord. Amen. From Leon Sylvester.

This just made my day! :laughing:

Edited by besem

Nah! I think Mr Sylvester is a Time Traveler from the past!

Malo it is imperative that you place more articles in that cache (say a fifth of cheap brandy) to entice some more 2004 wisdom from Mr Sylvester. We can take it turns staking out the cache so we can capture him and learn about his Time Traveling secrets.

Imagine going back in time to find caches that are now archived or to steal an FTF from Cape CCR and Thunder!!!!! Or even just to watch Mr Sylverster as he fumbled confused around he vortex of the stump!

Mr Sylvester simply must be found.

Henzz you should be a scriptwriter - you crack me up every time with these epic logs - this time from GC1ZBGQ El Georado

May 20 by Henzz (739 found)

I'm an archeology professor at Marshall College.

My name is Indianna Henzz.

I tried to chronicle my journey into El Georado as accurate as possible.

If you found this journal, it probably means that I did not make it back...

Could you please forward this pages to professor Malo Mystery at Marshall College.

The black waters of the river that flows uphill looked very ominous during those last few hours that we spent on it. As we neared the mooring place I noticed that the river guide was overcome with fear. His whole body was shaking uncontrollably and his eyes were fixed on some invisible threat out there in the jungle. I knew that as soon as I set foot on the river bank, this lad would set course back to his village.

It did not take too long for the jungle to swallow me. Armed with my whip, notes, and ancient map ( that proved to be totally inaccurate ), I ventured deeper into the dark green depths. The thick cover above blocked the sun from touching the ground. Pretty soon the paths made by the Mayans started to criss-cross in a very confusing manner. What would be an easy trail for them to follow, was a complex Labyrinth for me.

But your notes helped tremendously, and before too long I was confidant that I would reach the cobblestone entrance to the Mayan Kingdom without incident. Like you rightly said the stream had to be crossed several times. At one of these crossings I heard noises of to my left. I slowly made my way closer, and saw a young Mayan Eve in the water. She looked up, spotted me and bolted into the greenery behind her. I tried to call out to her, but her yells and screams drowned all other noises out.

There was no sign off the buzzards that you spoke about, but I did saw some very agile creatures, that could run up the trees at tremendous speeds. They seemed pretty harmless, but I kept the whip at the ready in any case.

The entrance to the Mayan Kingdom must have been a grand spectacle in it's day. What I found here though, was a fallen pylon of huge proportion. Nature must have been very angry to be able to topple that giant. I can only presume that the Mayans must have created a new portal point somewhere else in this forbidding jungle. My instinct told me that there must be some sort of pointer here to lead me to the treasure. And indeed there was. A sentry abandoning his post when the archway came down, must have left this golden tablet behind. The words were written in rhyme, but nothing that a professor of archeology couldn't crack.

The next point of call proved to be very elusive and it took me a fair amount of time to find. Then I made my way to the treetops just to find that I was lead astray by some very clever cunningness.

Back on the right track I was confronted with a warning. A skeleton was dangling from a tree, with a thick strong rope around his throat. I had the feeling that I was being watched from behind the trees, but this ancient tribe was masters of invisibility. My students back home always seems to find Mayan Numerals such a bore. How I wish they were here to see them being used as a guide. At this stage I wanted to give you a call, but then realized that there won't be cellular coverage out here in the deep dark forest.

I pressed on. And saw this amazing Totems. If I make it back alive we will discuss these. And there in front of me, was the lure of gold and treasure. Courage and Endurance brought me to the ultimate prize. As I opened it an arrow screamed past my head, and lodged itself into the wood just an inch or two away from me.

I grabbed the treasure and ran back towards the forest. I found a hidden away spot where I took the time to write this log. The Mayans are out there, searching the jungle. I know they are. And they have revenge on their minds. I will now have to run the gauntlet, back to the black river, and somehow find my way from there. If you receive this log, know that I did not make it out of here.

Best Regards.

Indianna Henzz.

A big up to Henzz who puts so much effort into his logs. A real pleasure to get logs like these!

Fully agree Doc! The only thing I have against long logs though is the amount of scrolling it takes to get past them to get to additional waypoints when they appear on a PQ downloaded to a paperless caching device. It would be good if Groundspeak could offer an option to just show the first few log lines in a PQ. That would solve the problem without putting aspiring authors like Henzz off from writing shuch entertaining logs.

Actually I think I'll post that as a suggested enhancement on the GS forum. Anyone know how to do a smiley with a lighbulb over its head?

Henzz does it again, read his latest from, GC2C1WY. SS: Het Huys Te Craijestein.

May 10 by Henzz (1200 found)

Treachery hung thick in the misty air... Pirate Henzz and Pirate Waynes World returned to seek that elusive treasure chest today... We both had backstabbing plans on our minds... Only one of us would walk away a rich man from here today...

By now we narrowed the area down, and had a good idea of where the money chest would lie... That Scallywag Wayne spotted it first, and instead of keeping it a secret, he surprised his mate Henzz, by offering him the chance to lay hands on the prize first...

But that was merely a ruse... Wayne made his way around Henzz's back, and as soon as the box was retrieved he lunged forward... Henzz was totally caught unawares, as he was distracted for a moment by visions of phenomenal wealth... Wayne clasped his big hands around Henzz's neck, and tried to throttle his poor compatriot just there at the spot... Henzz stood no chance at all... He was pinned, face down on the rocks, caught totally off guard... The treasure chest then slipped from his hands, and cluttered down into the throth of the waves below... That gave him a bit of a reprieve... Wayne peered sideways, and loosened his grip for just a moment... Henzz swung around and planted a mighty blow straight into the face of that two timing double crossing son of a Drivelswigger... They battled and fought to the death, but blow for blow they matched each other, and eventually ended up in the shallow water, next to the treasure chest... They lied there, totally exhausted from the fight, and that was when Henzz started to laugh... The money box cracked open when it clanked down the rocks earlier, and now lay there exposing it's inner, just a few inches away from his face... It was filled to the brim with... nothing but a small yellow book... No pieces of silver or gold to be seen anywhere... On the first page... Just a simple note... Sorry Sailor... Pirate Paddawan made off with all the booty... You just get to log a visit....

Well then... Henzz and WaynesWorld are best of mateys once more... Setting off into this wild continent again, looking for more treasure, some chest somewhere that could be looted... Another story to be told on another day...

Not to blow my own trumpet but i found that with this cache u will end up logging with the theme already started in the logs there, i hope all who go an find it will continue the trend. Thx to Henzz an his story logs on cache's for starting something different.

An why not Paddawan has put out a fantastic cache there.

GC30750 - The Ghost Train

Edited by Waynes_world

I was wondering if this tread was still alive, as I was thinking about commenting on some fantastic logs I received on GC30750. Great to get such brilliantly creative narratives. It certainly makes for some truly entertaining reading. Thanks for all the effort on the logs (sure beats a T.F.T.C).

Congratulations again on the FTF.

Earlier today The Pooks forwarded an article which claims that cachers are a bit geeky... I of course revelled in the fact that they obviously did not talk to me... But after receiving this log and realising how much enjoyment it gave me I now have to admit...

Many have sung the praises of Henzz's logs so nothing new there - I want to thank you for completing the geeky visions of grandeur I had when I came up with the concept for this cache - you completed the cache's story. You make hiding them just as much fun as finding them! THANKS Henzz!

Edited by Hesamati

Ok, I may be guilty of bumping an old thread but here goes......

A slightly different approach. Here is a great log that I received recently. A virtual prize for guessing who wrote it (no cheating now by looking it up or mentioning who it is if you have read it already).

I knew a man once who sort of understood this whole Galaxy and Milky Way Business.

He wrote a book about it, seriously he did, but people did not take it serious at all.

Poor old Mr. Adams didn't flog many copies of his trilogy (consisting of five books).

Only about 15 million or so.

Anyway, this is what he had to say about Space, the Universe, fish and stuff...

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think iPhones are a pretty neat idea."

One thing that he was very adamant about was that you should always carry a towel with you, for it is by far the most massively useful thing that an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Not that that has anything to do with the number 42. Nothing at all.

So after returning from a recent trip to the cold moons of Jaglan Beta I found myself trapped in a nano cache here on your planet. But it did not seem entirely uncomfortable in there, so I kept myself busy with singing old Tom Jones songs until I deliberately and concisely lost my mind. I vaguely remember signing my name on a log book the size of a double pecker bus.

After about a week I decided that I was about to get bored in there and duly left through the front door of the cache, towel under my arm, and off I strolled into the direction of the brilliant marble sanded beaches of Santraginus V. I think I need to go and lie down for a while. My mind feels like the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.

So long, and thanks for all the fish, I mean, favourites, I mean caches, I mean....

Uh... I need to go and lie down, I think...

A second prize of a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster exists if you can translate..... Certainly beats a 'TFTC'.

Log on one of my caches:

Hi all

My first Geocach search, Saturday 19 May, drove from KemptonPark to the park.

Arrived around 4 pm, searched along the left dog walking path first.

We were about half way when we noticed someone behind us in the distance that had apparently found the cach. The gentleman was writing in the log, so we turned our backs and gave him a chance to re hide it.

Alas, we spent another hour searching all around the spot we'd seen him in, but could not find it.

My GPS was saying 0 m to cach, but with 5 m acuracy, so we were searching a 5 m area.

Well better luck next time.

Nickname is SKY