Why are Geocoins usually beautiful, and pathtags not?

pilkro

There are some really amazing geocoins out there... pathtags, not so many.

Why the difference in quality? Are pathtags considered a joke by GC collectors?

I was considering getting a personal pathtag made up, but I think I've cooled from the idea since there really aren't that many cool ones I would like to trade for.

Not real sure what you consider amazing but we have seen some really great designed pathtags out there. I happen to think our Space Coast Geoachers Pathtag is one of those really good looking pathtags. They are much smaller so much harder to diversify but I think they do a great job. Look through the galleries I think you will find some amazing ones. Also, keep in mind the cost....that is a big factor on coins versus pathtags.

I wholeheartedly disagree, pilkro.

I agree there are some great looking Geocoins (some of them blow my mind!), but there are ALSO some great looking Pathtags. Some of us take a lot of pride in our Pathtag designs (I've designed about 20 so far, give or take).

A lot of Pathtags are stuff that people just put together with clip art, because the requirements are different. Keep in mind also that Pathtags have much greater limitations than coins, as well, like size, lack of color fill, etc., etc.

There are some really great Pathtags out there ... but I can't show them to you here. <_<

I wholeheartedly disagree, pilkro.

Me, too!

What are you on about?

No great pathtag designs? May I ask where you have looked for them?

Some of the designs are just amazing.

And the best part: There are so many, any taste can get their favourites....

No matter if you like SciFi, sculls and bones, cartoons, animals realistic or cartoonish, landscapes, flowers, patterns.

It's all out there.

For me the most interesting part is the personal approach of pathtags.

I might not like all the designs, but they mean something to the one who had them made. They are truely personal.

Go to anyone who's collecting and have a browse through their collection. You'd be amazed.

I'd offer you to have a look at mine, but I'm abroad, I guess, that's to far for a look, is it?

http://ellipirelliblog.wordpress.com/2009/...ollow-the-path/

Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of pathtags, but are all pathtags done with soft enamels? And no transluscents?

That might be why the OP prefers geocoins.

There is an option for translucent colours.

I never can tell the difference between soft and hard enamels.... So I can't tell you about those.

The biggest difference in quality is because of the size. You can't put as much detail on them as you can on a coin. It's a totally different thing when it comes to what can be done and what can't. There are tanslucent colors available when you design one and at times we can do glow and glitter colors. :P

BTW ~ Tags are no joke to many of us <_< I have more then a thousand in my collection.

BTW ~ Tags are no joke to many of us <_< I have more then a thousand in my collection.

Ditto! Over 2000 in our collection.

They are all round and that may be boring to some folks I guess.

I also love coins and we once had nearly 2000 of them. Now they go out faster than they come in.

I don't know most of the folks here in the coin forums anymore, and my favorite part of both hobbies is trading.

I was considering getting a personal pathtag made up, but I think I've cooled from the idea since there really aren't that many cool ones I would like to trade for.

It may be you're looking for them in the wrong places. You'll see hardly any here on the Geocoin Forums or even on any Groundspeak server. They are not trackable (on GC.com) and therefore not "offcial" game pieces. It's like shopping for jeans at a hardware store. But go to their tracking site and trading pages and it's a different story.

Edited by Droo

I do not know how many pathtags you have had in your hands.

But I do like them. As in all things there are good ones and less well designed ones.

Limititation of a pathtag is the size. So one thing to keep in mind is not adding to much detail.

You can add some translucent colors, sometimes they have offers with glow in the dark or glitter.

Only one thing for sure they will be round.

I also have another signature tag made and i'm very happy with the outcome. Keeping the design simple it is very clear. Because of the low price they are easy to make, to trade and leave them in caches to make other geocachers happy with something they may keep.

You're welcome to have a look at my collection when you visit the Netherlands.

I want to do a pathtag still... Its a personal token that costs 1/15 the cost of minting a coin! Its personal :P Though it is no geocoin, thats for sure <_<

I like em... there are some great ones too. You will always have more detail with a geocoin, but thats not limiting the beauty thats possible in creating a really nice Pathtag either.

Its a way for you to create a personal token, most of all reletively inexpensively :)

I've seen really amazing and really sad designs for geocoins and pathtags both. There are numerous reasons, but I think one of the largest factors is price. That's not to say tags are cheap, but more to point out that the process is cheaper. If you're putting out a C note for a new Tag, then chances are you're going to sketch something out that makes you happy and submit it for production. If you're going to put out 10 to 30 times that much money for a coin then you're more likely to take a really long time making it absolutely perfect and/or hiring a professional to make sure that it's as good as it possibly can be.

Despite those differences their are many times I've seen people who have both coins and tags with similar styles and many times the tags have actually looked nicer. There are many limitations to size so you're forced to make decisions that you might not face with a coin. Sometimes limitations actually become guidelines that make the designer better.

I've designed both and have both for myself and family. I've had coin designs turn into tags and tag designs turn into coins with equal success. I prefer coins for the weight, I prefer tags for personal momentos. It's all in our own preferences in the end, but with either one you're getting something beautiful to enjoy as part of caching :lol:

I've seen really amazing and really sad designs for geocoins and pathtags both. There are numerous reasons, but I think one of the largest factors is price. That's not to say tags are cheap, but more to point out that the process is cheaper. If you're putting out a C note for a new Tag, then chances are you're going to sketch something out that makes you happy and submit it for production. If you're going to put out 10 to 30 times that much money for a coin then you're more likely to take a really long time making it absolutely perfect and/or hiring a professional to make sure that it's as good as it possibly can be.

Despite those differences their are many times I've seen people who have both coins and tags with similar styles and many times the tags have actually looked nicer. There are many limitations to size so you're forced to make decisions that you might not face with a coin. Sometimes limitations actually become guidelines that make the designer better.

I've designed both and have both for myself and family. I've had coin designs turn into tags and tag designs turn into coins with equal success. I prefer coins for the weight, I prefer tags for personal momentos. It's all in our own preferences in the end, but with either one you're getting something beautiful to enjoy as part of caching :P

All this coming from a humble guy who could make a toilet seat look better with his designs. :lol:

Can I ask a stupid question? :lol:

There are pathtags that are trackable through this site, for example: TB248JE (with photo)

When did these come about? Does that mean we can discuss Pathtags here now? Should we expect to see more?

Is the main difference that they are logged both here and at the other website?

Discussing pathtags is one thing. Promoting them here is not allowed. This thread is a discussion comparing the beauty of pathtags vs. geocoins.

The one you linked is trackable on www.geocaching.com

Can I ask a stupid question? :lol:

There are pathtags that are trackable through this site, for example: TB248JE (with photo)

When did these come about? Does that mean we can discuss Pathtags here now? Should we expect to see more?

Is the main difference that they are logged both here and at the other website?

Discussing pathtags is one thing. Promoting them here is not allowed. This thread is a discussion comparing the beauty of pathtags vs. geocoins.

The one you linked is trackable on www.geocaching.com

Right, thanks Eartha. I guess I'm wondering if there will be more partnerships between the 2 entities in the future too? I'm also interested in learning more about how these trackable ones came to be. :P

I can start my own thread if you prefer so as not to go too far OT here.

Right, thanks Eartha. I guess I'm wondering if there will be more partnerships between the 2 entities in the future too? I'm also interested in learning more about how these trackable ones came to be. :lol:

I doubt there was a partnership of any kind.... I see this happening like so: The creator made a pathtag, and took the PT.com tracking number from it, and then made a geocoin the exact same size as a pathtag and incorporated the PT number onto the coin. You can't add GC tracking numbers to a pathtag, so you would have to add the PT serial to a GC.

So it isn't really a Pathtag. Its a geocoin that looks like a pathtag.

i can't see the Tb referred to yet but to answer peter's trio i think the pathtag people are also the biggest geocoin mint out there by their own count and so to make a different generic backside and offer it as an 'upgrade' to their many customers would be cheap and simple - they are familiar with the process of approval of the frontside design by GC and have no trouble with quantities of tracking numbers on hand to resell in smaller batches.

there was a mid sized geotag from atwell family similar concept a small personal coin front generic back withahole that happened to be trackable on gc.com only

I agree it is a lot to do with scale - even the choice of size between the coins really affects their design impact - I find 1.5 inches the most challenging size ( debate? ) and my favourite example of wow! from this size is worker of wood. It didn't want to be any bigger ( it's not trackable btw)

The geocaching skills wold have benefitted from a size bump imho.

Yeah. This answer makes sense to me.

I wasn't trying to attack anyone, so no need to get defensive. I said there were not so many good pathtag designs... not there are "no" good designs. I went to the pathtags site and clicked through about 150 pages in the gallerly looking at them. As a matter of fact, Tekkguy's tag was one of the ones I thought was really well done. It has an appealing design that makes perfect sense for his name, it communicates well, is a nice clean design and is unique. I even voted top marks for it when I saw it. The majority of the ones on the site though, are made with clipart and the worst font choices possible. But, like I said, I'm not trying to offend... and Fox-and-the-Hound answered my curiosity.

I wasn't trying to attack anyone, so no need to get defensive. I said there were not so many good pathtag designs... not there are "no" good designs. I went to the pathtags site and clicked through about 150 pages in the gallerly looking at them. As a matter of fact, Tekkguy's tag was one of the ones I thought was really well done. It has an appealing design that makes perfect sense for his name, it communicates well, is a nice clean design and is unique. I even voted top marks for it when I saw it. The majority of the ones on the site though, are made with clipart and the worst font choices possible. But, like I said, I'm not trying to offend... and Fox-and-the-Hound answered my curiosity.

To me, the clip art and font choices are part of the charm of pathtags. I love the little tags that look like someone did it themselves.

If you're putting out a C note for a new Tag, then chances are you're going to sketch something out that makes you happy and submit it for production. If you're going to put out 10 to 30 times that much money for a coin then you're more likely to take a really long time making it absolutely perfect

:D

Since it costs $100 to make 50 tags, when has it cost $1000-$3000 to make 50 coins? That's $20-$60 a coin... LOL! :( No wonder there is so much misinformation propagating about! :lol:

I think the reason path tags are not as pretty is the intent. At $2 a pop, they are perfect for trading and throwing into caches. As for coins, most are sold for profit. You spend more time on designing them because if you don't, then you are stuck with a bunch of coins that you intended to sell. :P

Right, thanks Eartha. I guess I'm wondering if there will be more partnerships between the 2 entities in the future too? I'm also interested in learning more about how these trackable ones came to be. :P

I doubt there was a partnership of any kind.... I see this happening like so: The creator made a pathtag, and took the PT.com tracking number from it, and then made a geocoin the exact same size as a pathtag and incorporated the PT number onto the coin. You can't add GC tracking numbers to a pathtag, so you would have to add the PT serial to a GC.

So it isn't really a Pathtag. Its a geocoin that looks like a pathtag.

Thanks for the reply. It just strikes me as an odd thing to do - it has a geocaching symbol and even a unique icon. Seems like a lot of money to pay out for a little ole tag. But then, what the heck do I know? :lol:

Hey, thanks :lol:

I'm very proud of my Pathtag design, but I have done some others that are better AND worse since then.

(By the way, I find this one very fitting for this discussion)

Edited by tekkguy

I think the reason path tags are not as pretty is the intent. At $2 a pop, they are perfect for trading and throwing into caches. As for coins, most are sold for profit. You spend more time on designing them because if you don't, then you are stuck with a bunch of coins that you intended to sell. :P

Well, the pathtags aren't for sale.

They are signature items to leave in caches or trade with.

And the beauty of trading tags is: There is no feeling of my coin in more worth than yours, mine is a LE or even a XLE...

Guess what, all tags are LE.... :lol:

The beauty about tags is, they are truely personal.

Cause for $100 I can get one of my personal designs done. With what I want on a tag.

Not with the background worry, will the community like it? And buy it?

With coins, there is this worry that you won't sell them.

For you that might be a reason, to put in extra effort in the design.

I just want my idea on a tag, not serving the tastes of the community...

If you're putting out a C note for a new Tag, then chances are you're going to sketch something out that makes you happy and submit it for production. If you're going to put out 10 to 30 times that much money for a coin then you're more likely to take a really long time making it absolutely perfect

:D

Since it costs $100 to make 50 tags, when has it cost $1000-$3000 to make 50 coins? That's $20-$60 a coin... LOL! :P No wonder there is so much misinformation propagating about! :)

I think the reason path tags are not as pretty is the intent. At $2 a pop, they are perfect for trading and throwing into caches. As for coins, most are sold for profit. You spend more time on designing them because if you don't, then you are stuck with a bunch of coins that you intended to sell. :)

Let's face it, the average run of PathTags is 50-100 units and costs $100-150. ($50 for the die and approx $1 per unit) The average run of coins for a long time was 500 units and cost $1000-3000 depending on how much you demanded in their production (special minting features, enamels, tracking codes, icons, etc.) . It's not misinformation to show what we all have seen and learned over time. As far as that goes we've seen $20-$60 coins so take the sarcasm on down the trail smarty! :P:P:P

If we really want to talk facts let's consider the question of why commercial coins exist at all and why they tend to be beautiful. People buy commercial coins because they want a pretty coin to call their own and often can't afford to make it themselves. For a fraction of the cost of a production run a cacher can have something to call their own that is unique to caching and beautiful, too. The reason they're usually beautiful is because no one would purchase them otherwise.

Coins (commercially) need to be beautiful by necessity usually. Only the strong survive or enjoy success.

Tags have the freedom to be personal, fun and as varied as the cachers who make them without concern of cost.

Their are great advantages to both, but how you view them is up to you :)

And there was a time coins were that way too. Some still are. :P If you had a personal geocoin would you worry about what others thought?

Yes, I would. Cause I'd need to sell them in order to get my money at least partly back...

I'm not willing to spend €1000 on a coin, only to give it out as presents.

Actually, I had plans to make a coin.

And in the back of my mind, these plans are still there.

But I'm unable to make a blueprint for what I have in mind.

And also I would worry, if my coin would be sellable. There is no fun in having them there collecting dust in the shelf so to speak...

And there was a time coins were that way too. Some still are. :P If you had a personal geocoin would you worry about what others thought?

Of course you'd have to worry that what you're spending (the equivalent of 1-2 month's rent) is going to be appreciated and liked. If not what was the point? Even if you're not hoping to sell some to recoup some costs you'd still want to trade for them and that requires that others think favourably of your work, doesn't it? In that regard PTs are the safer, cheaper choice.

Edited by Droo

Yes, I would. Cause I'd need to sell them in order to get my money at least partly back...

Why sell to get your money back Elli? I always felt the money we spent to produce coins was the cost of trading.

We grew our collection to over 1000 coins by trading, and the cost was paid up front on our own coin.

When folks started selling their personal coin to get their money back, it was like they were trading with a coin that cost them nothing.

Of course now, no one trades and it's all about sales and profit. (So I guess you're right)

:P

Why sell to get your money back Elli? I always felt the money we spent to produce coins was the cost of trading.

We grew our collection to over 1000 coins by trading, and the cost was paid up front on our own coin.

When folks started selling their personal coin to get their money back, it was like they were trading with a coin that cost them nothing.

Of course now, no one trades and it's all about sales and profit. (So I guess you're right)

:)

I'm not so much trading coins anymore, as noone seems to want to.

And my trading is done in pathtags nowadays. No worries there, that my tag is less worth than the other.

I got fed up with being asked for several coins for one, only because the other one thought his coin special.

Also I see less and less coins I really, really must have. Maybe I'm just picky nowadays.... :)

Should I ever get around to make a coin, there would be part sold and part for trade.

When I go to events people ask me to bring my tradecoins with me. Trouble is, they don't have traders, so I end up selling my traders... :P