Cutting off the top of a stump

ItisTrue

Has anyone cut the top off of a stump before? If so, how is it done? I am planning on making a cache where the top of a hollowed out stump opens with a hinge and a cache is placed inside. I want the cut to be straight and flush so that it is hard to tell it was cut. Any help would be great! Thanks

Has anyone cut the top off of a stump before? If so, how is it done? I am planning on making a cache where the top of a hollowed out stump opens with a hinge and a cache is placed inside. I want the cut to be straight and flush so that it is hard to tell it was cut. Any help would be great! Thanks

You will likely be using a chainsaw for this task unless you have access to a very high powered laser.

I'm picturing the stump on Hogans Heroes they used to get in the tunnel. That would make an awesome cache but I can't think of anyway to do it with a real stump. Fine cuts require fine toothed thin blades, preferably a band saw but it would take a large machine to do. Chainsaw is the most practical and would work, though not as invisibly as you want. They are logging my place right now though, may investigate adding a stump hide here myself.

There is a cache near here where the hider owns the woodlot in question. They did some logging there and there are a lot of stumps. Every one of them has a chain saw cut lower down on the remaining stump. Some all the way around, some just on one side or the other. The stump with the cache in it obviously has the cut all the way around, with the top that can be lifted off and believe me, it is hard to find amongst all the other "cut" stumps.

The point is, a saw cut will always show up. The best would be to find the remains of a stump that has been cut very close to the ground preferably the kind of stump with root flare close to the ground. Hollow it out from underneath. When these are placed on the woodlot floor, with a few leaves and such around it, it is very hard to tell that it isn't rooted in the ground.

Unless the stump is on your property, you don't.

Edited by briansnat

I have several of these type of "Stump" hides and all have been cut in my garage with a circular saw and the larger ones, circular saw with the help of a reciprocating (sawsall) saw. I hollow out the stump with a drill and paddle bit, and the top/cap just a little. then I place a peanut butter jar in, drill about 6 inches into the bottom, with a 1/2" bit, liquid nail 15" peice of 3/8 rebar into it. Plus scew on a lil hinge. Take it out to the woods and STICK it in. Dress with a lil "Spanish moss" and your good to go. I get alot of great compliments on some of my hides. Out in the feild?....... one word...............Cordless. Mopar

I'm picturing the stump on Hogans Heroes they used to get in the tunnel. That would make an awesome cache but I can't think of anyway to do it with a real stump. Fine cuts require fine toothed thin blades, preferably a band saw but it would take a large machine to do. Chainsaw is the most practical and would work, though not as invisibly as you want. They are logging my place right now though, may investigate adding a stump hide here myself.

The "Hogans Heros" thing was the exact reason I came up with the idea of my "Stump Hides". Another would be "Dr Zhivago" "key, behind the brick" or "Wild Wild Wild World" , money buried under the palm trees in the shape of a dubbaya, a dubbaya, I tell ya! Thats why Im a compuslive geocacher.

The "Hogans Heros" thing was the exact reason I came up with the idea of my "Stump Hides". Another would be "Dr Zhivago" "key, behind the brick" or "Wild Wild Wild World" , money buried under the palm trees in the shape of a dubbaya, a dubbaya, I tell ya! Thats why Im a compuslive geocacher.

Of course the entire stump was hollowed out with the top hinged on theirs, impossible to do and have any structural strength left. <_< I only sold the largest trees here so using the entire stump would make it extremely heavy to move, gonna have to think about it now.

I just find an old stump that is naturally hollowed out and put the cache in it, no need to cut or install hinges. With the insides normally filled with punk and leaves I just cover the cache with that. (NOTE: no point tool was used to cover the cache, just my five fingers!) If I'm real lucky I can find one with a rotten root that is also hollowed out and put the cache there.

Jim

Edited by jholly

I just find an old stump that is naturally hollowed out and put the cache in it, no need to cut or install hinges. With the insides normally filled with punk and leaves I just cover the cache with that. (NOTE: no point tool was used to cover the cache, just my five fingers!) If I'm real lucky I can find one with a rotten root that is also hollowed out and put the cache there.

Jim

Fingers do qualify as 'pointy objects' :P

But covering the cache over with otherwise loose material is fine <_< - It's pretty much standard practice around here to cover a cache with snow in the winter

ItisTrue-------------here is a solution and works well---dig out around your stump, cut it off just below ground level (chain saw) and use large pins to re -align your cut off back in position--sprinkle your leaves etc around the now concealed base and you have a good hide that can be hollowed out as required--GC19ZB7 gives you the desired effect with the favorable difficulty you desire---have fun

Post #8 brought out the self appointed cache cops. While that's not a record, it is still annoying.

As for bringing in your own stump, be aware of any new laws and ordinances.. the emerald ash borer is a HUGE issue in the country right now.

As a land manager (not a cache cop) I agree with what he said. If you took a chainsaw to something in a park I manage you would be getting a visit from a real cop.

Edited by Mopar

what he said.

Did the OP at any point indicate that the stump was not his property?

what he said.

Guess you missed that part, huh?

what he said.

Guess you missed that part, huh?

Missed what part? The OP has not answered that question yet:

At this point, that is the available information. Nowhere there does it say whos property the stump is on.

what he said.

I think the more important question should be "did the OP at any point indicate that the stump was on his property?

what he said.

I think the more important question should be "did the OP at any point indicate that the stump was on his property?

So now people have to prove they are innocent?

what he said.

No, but they need to be aware of the guidelines. Way too many people submit their cache page and check the box that says they read and understood the guidelines, but didn't.

The point of my original post was to point out that the question was moot if the cache was not on his property or someplace where he had express permission for that kind of hide.

Unfortunately this stuff needs to be reiterated.

Ever get a traffic ticket?

The time of "innocent until proven guilty" went out a LONG time ago.

Are you kidding me? I am a courier.... I get tickets daily....

I am innocent because the traffic cops never take the time to go to court to fight my dispute.

All you have to do is .... nevermind... you are right.

what he said.

No, but they need to be aware of the guidelines. Way too many people submit their cache page and check the box that says they read and understood the guidelines, but didn't.

The point of my original post was to point out that the question was moot if the cache was not on his property or someplace where he had express permission for that kind of hide.

Unfortunately this stuff needs to be reiterated.

Yes, but there seems to be more of a general assumption that he would place it without permission, rather than placing it with permission. With express permission that kind of hide is ok. However, all hides supposedly have permission ... :lol:

Placing it without permission would be against the guidelines as defacing an existing object. But hiding a lock'n'lock under a rock would still be against the guidelines also without permission.. So the appearance is that it is ok to go against some guidelines (such as permission) rather than go against other guidelines such as defacing semi permanent existing objects..

Perhaps that is what enables some hiders to not really read the guidelines, as they label all the guidelines as the same, rather than acknowledging that some guideline issues are at different degrees much worse than others. If the stump is dead I really dont see anyone getting upset over it anyhow.

I dont want to open a can of worms, but if they are crawling all over the place you really cant help but notice them, plus who would put them in a can anyway, and what would it be labeled as? :P