Release Notes 1/12/10

OpinioNate

Okay, I've found a bug.

Nevermind...the bug cleared. It must take a few minutes for the different pages to update, but here is what I wrote originally so people know...

Some new caches came out in CT today with hidden dates of 1/11/2010, but they're not showing up on the "by State Page"

The last caches showing on that page have been around for awhile and were hidden on 1/6/2010.

Here's the link to the CT page that's showing incorrectly:

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?state_id=7

Here's a link to one of the caches showing a later date hidden:

http://coord.info/GC22V95/

I see 1/11/10 caches, including the one you linked to on Firefox 3.5.7.

The "My Friends" page has had both problems described for as long as I can remember.

The "white space" blocks are caused by the ability to place whatever you want as your location. The longer the location, the taller the box becomes for that "friend". When the boxes in the same row are not the same size, the whitespace is the result. One of my friends has a "location" of "North Cape May, New Jersey, Originally Lancaster, PA & Holmes, Pa." This takes up 4 rows of text in their box - really stretching it out.

The number of hides actually shows the number of hides that are still active. You would think this would be easy to fix.

Localizing will enable us to provide the non-English speaking community with a more friendly site by translating common pages and navigation into various languages.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it internalisation, not localisation, most people are asking for?

Nate used the proper term in the quote above. Localization is creating a culture-specific version of the site. Internationalization is modifying the site to allow localization. Users want localization, software architects want internationalization.

For example, rather than being formatted perfectly for english text, all fields have to be 'expandable' so that they can fit longer german words. Hence the 'flowy' redesign.

Provide a single example where your argument applies. Consider e.g. the ugly looking new version of the http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

page. There is no language reason whatsoever to use "visit log" instead of just "log" as no German cacher would expect the text "Besuche Log". Log just suffices worldwide.

With the "visit log" version, most users end up with two lines instead of one as in the old design.

Cezanne

Localizing will enable us to provide the non-English speaking community with a more friendly site by translating common pages and navigation into various languages.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it internalisation, not localisation, most people are asking for?

Nate used the proper term in the quote above. Localization is creating a culture-specific version of the site. Internationalization is modifying the site to allow localization. Users want localization, software architects want internationalization.

Ok, let this be right. What I wanted to say is: I think most people want support for internationalisation (yes!) like full Unicode support, support for multiple cache descriptions in different languages, most recently search options for available languages in the cache description and so on, not localisation of the UI and "common pages".

Nate used the proper term in the quote above. Localization is creating a culture-specific version of the site. Internationalization is modifying the site to allow localization.

Users want localization, software architects want internationalization.

I do not agree. There are different groups of users around on geocaching.com. On the one hand, there are some users with no or almost no command of English who would like to see a localized version of Groundspeak's site. On the other hand, there are quite a number of cachers (many of them from Europe and most of them speak several languages and have quite a good command of English) whose main focus is not on making geocaching even more popular in their home countries by basically involving everyone. The central interest of this group is to be provide as many caches as possible to a larger group than just the local people who understand the local language. Take e.g. the Netherlands. While so many Dutch people have at least some basic command of English, so few cache descriptions in the Netherlands are offered in English. As another type of extreme, consider Slovenia which has not yet a local reviewer. In Slovenia almost all cache descriptions are available in English. I watched the development of geocaching in many European countries and particularly closely in Germany and Austria. The switch from Erik to a local Austria reviewer, had quite a negative effect on the number of cache descriptions offered in English in Austria.

Certainly, localization provides advantages for a certain group of cachers, but it should not be neglected that it brings along also disadvantages for others, in particular for cachers who travel to many other countries, often just for a few days.

I hope that the arguments provided above explain why some cachers feel that work invested into localization will harm the idea of internationalization. The times when geocaching needed to become more popular are long gone in most countries. In countries like Austria and Germany many cachers (perhaps most of the cachers who have started prior to 2008) do not wish that the explosion of the growth rates continues like in the past two years.

Cezanne

I am using IE8 right now and I'll not say it is lloking good!

obr282887_Image1.jpg

Anyway, why is the most right collumn on all pages so wide. WHY?????

I never said that all was right with IE8. I was referring to a particular situation. However, I am not seeing that in IE8. I wonder what the difference might be? Edited by knowschad

I certainly appreciate all the work that goes into keeping this site updated and enhancing functionality. However, I am developing tendonitis in my wrist from all the scrolling - no joke.

Not to beat a dead horse, but in the logs I've read, there's been nothing specified on all the white space. Of the pages I've looked at, it's on PQ Preview, Cache Logs, Quick View, Watchlist, Trackable Items, Benchmark (all), Hide & Seek, Search Benchmarks, Trackable Items Recent Logs pages, and the GS headers on a cache page. Quick View page right column is wider than needed (and too spacy - same for Your Geocaching Details page), while the Geocaching Maps page cache list on the right is too narrow (also too spacy).

Also, the grids are unnecessary and distracting.

I'm running Safari w/ screen res 1440 x 900. I can shrink it to avoid some scrolling, but then can't read it. I have no problems with Type/Hide filters, and so far no HTML issues.

I'll throw a couple wish-list items in:

Can the items from Additional Hints and down (including map) on the cache page be adjusted to take less vertical space?

Is there any hope that we'll be able to run trackables through Earthcaches in the future? I'm aware that there is another forum for this, and made my request there, as well.

Thanks for the work on such a dynamic site!

Edited by hunterKat

I have a problem when I use Advanced Search.

Doing a search by postal code with the case « Exclude your owned or found items from results » checked.

In the resulting output my owned and found items are still visible. The Exclude feature is no longer working.

Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Nu 2600

IE 7 version 7.0.5730.13CO Office 2002

Before anyone gets too upset, remember that Groundspeak relies on programmers and are at their mercy.

I have worked with computer programmers a lot. Some of them are just Divas and can do no wrong (in their own inflated ego) and will "fix" things that were never broken.

Sometimes programmers will even push changes they want, claiming they are necessary for the new feature or fix.

Programmers have also been known to believe that they can do no wrong and will roll out an update, overwriting all previous code without backing up the old code. In situations like that, there are ALWAYS issues and the customers suffer.

I sure hope it isn't the case but its possible that all of our complaints are not falling on deaf ears but that Geoundspeak is helpless to do anything about them until they hire new programmers.

I still think the visual layout changes suck and see no reason why they would have needed to be changed in any coding work, aside from the possibility that a programmer was just trying to look busy.

Okay, I've found a bug.

Nevermind...the bug cleared. It must take a few minutes for the different pages to update, but here is what I wrote originally so people know...

Some new caches came out in CT today with hidden dates of 1/11/2010, but they're not showing up on the "by State Page"

The last caches showing on that page have been around for awhile and were hidden on 1/6/2010.

Here's the link to the CT page that's showing incorrectly:

http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?state_id=7

Here's a link to one of the caches showing a later date hidden:

http://coord.info/GC22V95/

I see 1/11/10 caches, including the one you linked to on Firefox 3.5.7.

Yeah they appeared a few minutes after I posted, which is why I edited the post and said Nevermind, but I wanted to leave the original message so that someone could see what I was talking about. I may not have made it clear that I had edited the original message. Sorry for any confusion.

Something was definitely amiss because it took from before 3:41 when I made my original post to around 3:53 when I edited the post for the caches to appear.

I've never seen a delay like that and guess it has something to do with the site update.

Thanks for including the browser info. I know that's important and forgot to include that. Was also using Vista32 at the time.

Edited by Skippermark

Before anyone gets too upset, remember that Groundspeak relies on programmers and are at their mercy.

I have worked with computer programmers a lot. Some of them are just Divas and can do no wrong (in their own inflated ego) and will "fix" things that were never broken.

Sometimes programmers will even push changes they want, claiming they are necessary for the new feature or fix.

Programmers have also been known to believe that they can do no wrong and will roll out an update, overwriting all previous code without backing up the old code. In situations like that, there are ALWAYS issues and the customers suffer.

I sure hope it isn't the case but its possible that all of our complaints are not falling on deaf ears but that Geoundspeak is helpless to do anything about them until they hire new programmers.

I still think the visual layout changes suck and see no reason why they would have needed to be changed in any coding work, aside from the possibility that a programmer was just trying to look busy.

And those same programmers should not be compensated until such problems are resolved. This all would have been irrelevant had the new site been thoroughly tested on a parallel test system.

Firefox on a mac - pictures aren't working right. If you click on the little picture links in logs, they pop up normally, but if you access a gallery for a web page, and click on any individual picture to see it full size, it brings up the page minus the picture.

Sorry if this has already been reported. Haven't read the whole thread.

Firefox on a mac - pictures aren't working right. If you click on the little picture links in logs, they pop up normally, but if you access a gallery for a web page, and click on any individual picture to see it full size, it brings up the page minus the picture.

Safari on the Mac does not have this problem (not for me) - try it instead of Firefox.

Safari on the Mac does not have this problem (not for me) - try it instead of Firefox.

knowschad mentioned it earlier and Groundspeak (OpinioNate) acknowledged. Apparently it works for some cache page but not for others. Windows, both IE and Firefox.

I am not able to print the first page either. This makes no sense and isn't helpful to paper-cachers.

Besides the fact that the new layout simply has no charm ...

Am I the only one who is unable to print the first page of the cache discriptions???

All info is nearly outside the paper format on the reight side (only a few characters are visible) - and of course it doesn't change when I switch between horizontal and landscape page setup.

Funny ... on pages 2+ it's ok.

Whoever has written such a crippled CSS code ... go ahead, read your books!!!

What a mess!!!

Cheers

Dirk

The new alternate shading is causing some problems in the table when I search for caches in my area. Caches I've found are coloured gray. Caches that I own are coloured some sort of orangy colour. Caches that I have not found use the alternate blue/white shading. This makes it look like blue and white have special meaning, like the gray and orange colours.

Also, in the Additional Waypoints on the cache page, the alternate shading is not applied to the "Note" section, making the table difficult to read.

Did you just stay at a holiday inn express or something Bittsen? Because that's clearly where you received your software development training... Hire new programmers? The majority of complaints seem related to the design of the site, not the programming.

The problem I see is the same problem I've always seen with Groundspeak... Lack of communication. The people you should fire are the people who tested the site before it was released. And the programmers shouldn't be the ones testing... That would be like having students grade their own tests. If no testing was done, fine, just let everyone know that it's coming and it's going to be buggy.

Map backgrounds not loading in IE6/Win XP.

Searched for caches by zip code (it happens with any zip code). System returned list of caches.

Clicked View on Map. Expected to see cache icons on map. System displayed cache icons on a grey background, no map.

Clicked Satellite option. Expected to see satellite photo with roads and caches. System displayed cache icons and roads, but no photo.

Clicked on Terrain option. Expected to see terrain map with caches. System displayed caches on plain grey background.

Clicked on Topo option. System displayed cache icons and topo maps.

Yes, I cleared temporary internet files. Yes, I reloaded the page. Yes, I tried various zip codes.

If support for IE6/WinXP was dropped, please let us know. I am working at Cheapskate, Inc. and they still use this ancient browser and operating system on their PCs.

My opinion on the UI changes--I'm basically unimpressed by the whitespace changes but think it is the lowest priority in terms of fixing. The change from My/Mine to Your is more troubling because it projects a company-centric rather than customer-centric viewpoint. Most companies, at least, pretend that it is all about the customer...

I have this same problem with IE6/WinXP. At present I am out of the geocaching business until this is fixed. And the answer is not simply to 'upgrade my browser'. I don't manage my pc maintenance based on any websites "release upgrades" and I don't plan on starting now.

Several of us seem to have noticed a problem with the GPX version option sometimes reverting back to 1.0 after we changed it to 1.0.1 and saved the change. More info in this thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry4189595

I tried the change to 1.0.1 and it didn't take. I immediately did it again and it worked. So, either I was faster than the update or it just needs to be done twice. Either way, I'm good now.

Since we have no idea who designed and tested the new layout, perhaps we should restrict our comments to what Groundspeak should change, instead of how they should go about doing it?

Yes. It doesn't really matter who did what. The important thing is to see is there if there's anything we can do to help make the site work well for everyone. Constantly filling up the thread with non-related complaints only serves to make that harder because developers have to read through so much extra stuff.

Edited by Skippermark

Doing a search by postal code with the case « Exclude your owned or found items from results » checked.

In the resulting output my owned and found items are still visible. The Exclude feature is no longer working.

I just tried to verify your results in IE8, but my zipcode (55075) could not be found!

I just tried to verify your results in IE8, but my zipcode (55075) could not be found!

Just tried it with Firefox (current) on Windows 7. Totally true. get the same results (all caches) whether the exclusion is checked or unchecked.

I hope this is an IE6 issue and things look better when I get back home to Firefox and Chrome, but from here my cache page for GC1K291 looks really borked up.

Click for screenshot.

Simple fix. Reduce the size of the image.

I know.. You shouldn't have to but that's what is causing this specific issue.

I see it now that I'm at home. Not sure if it was not happening at work, or if I just didn't scroll down enough, but yeah... the graphic is causing me to have to scroll right to see it all.

Change always stirs people up, but I must agree that the way the website has been redesigned seems to suggest the designer has a massive 1600x1200 monitor!

As it happens, my desktop PC has such a monitor, but for the last 12 months I have used a 1024x600 netbook for geocaching! With Firefox 3.5.7 and autohiding menu bars and taskbars it is usually fine - but gets caught out by programmers who don't cater for this screen size. (Trying to edit GoogleEarth pacemarkers for instance.)

As netbooks have been the major success story of the last 12 months, and must have replaced an awful lot of PDAs for geocachers, any GC.COM redesign should have taken them into account.

So please don't add unnecessary white space and dividing lines just to force us to have to scroll up and down and side to side all the time!

I've now had to use set the Firefox All-in-One sidebar to autohide just to get rid of the lateral shift bar!

Please continue your work to get us back where we were before the "new" "improved" layout...

Thanks,

Chris

(and PS, my profile has been mucked up too)

The site will go down briefly again for the following updates:

Fix table on Find User Routes Page

Moved map to top of the page and increased width of both the map and routes table

Earthcache guidelines checkboxes do not appear on edit

Added checkbox for accepting submission guidelines on EC edit

PQ Maps and distance sliders unavailable when creating a route

Reordered the JS as the map was being modified before it was initialized

Cannot delete a route

Fixed

Javascript error when accessing cache details page when not logged in or logged in as basic user

Fixed

Contents of first page of printed cache description shifted off paper

Fixed

Send to GPS 500 error

No longer errors when switching between tabs

Bad URL for image edit on cache details page

Fixed

My found caches in search results highlighting doesn't stand out

Darkened the gray highlighting

There are still some issues we have yet to resolve. Foremost of which are the mapping issues being reported. Although there is a chance the IE6 mapping issue was fixed as a result of 14607 listed above. The perpetual *loading geocaches* error some of you are experiencing still eludes us, but we are doing all we can to track down the source of the problem and I very sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I know the maps are relied upon by everyone for planning geocaching trips.

As for the HTML in profile/cache page issues, we have a fix prepared but it needs to be tested thoroughly before it can be released. It's hotfixable so taking the site down will probably not be necessary when we're ready. On the subject of one stat generator in particular, Raine had the following to say:

As for the FindStatGen gsak plugin, I'm working with lignumaqua on it. The HTML it generates seems to be malformed and the new version of tidy is less forgiving than the older one. The reason for the upgrade of Tidy is that the older version was built in 2003 and had some memory corruption issues. We noticed it would start showing HTML from other tidy instances which is a bad thing overall.

I'll post back after I have further dialog with lignumaqua.

I'll update the thread when I have more information. You can bookmark my forum posts to avoid having to scroll through so many pages.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/gc/index.php...&mid=164227

Edited by OpinioNate

How does one post a picture of their problem like the one I copied here from another poster?

I am using the most recent version of firefox on a pc running windows XP.

Thanks.

obr282887_Image1.jpg

Edited for spelling

Edited by ao318

1. What you were trying to do? I was trying to print out the cache notes

2. What happened? Fist page has header, but no cache content other than a 'new' label

3. What you expected to happen? The cache notes to print.

Edited to add: Just saw this will be fixed in next update.

I'm a IEX user V6.

Also, a friend has been trying to sign up but continues to tell her that her passwords don't match (they do) and her email address and rewritten email address do not match.

Thanks

Edited by VicJones

Any chance of a fix on the <br> and <hr> tag issues?

<br> works but <br/> (the proper way :lol:) doesn't on TB descriptions (caches don't seem to be affected)

Neither <hr> nor <hr/> work on TB or cache pages. Is this a bug or is that element a gonner?

[edit to add] see description for TB1RTCR for a demo of what I mean.

Also, a bug report that I didn't see last night (so maybe a result of this latest rollout just now?):

I can't edit a puzzle cache listing at the moment (GC1WPF0 if it matters) without ticking the box to say I agree to the Earthcache guidelines. Surely that box shouldn't be visible for other cache types or at least shouldn't need to be ticked for other cache types?

Edited by JeremyR

How cute. Forum moderators are deleting posts. Said it violated courtesy or something. Wasn't as bad as other posts by other users, it was a request and a bit of sarcasm. Trying to keep some vision of humor while the broken website gets fixed.

Heh, not only that, but I am apparently banned from posting now. But you're reading this, aren't you?

Edited by infinity6

Any chance of a fix on the <br> and <hr> tag issues?

My note above addresses this. We'll have a hotfix ready soon.

Edit: Actually the horizontal rule issues are fixed (be sure to start a new session).

I can't edit a puzzle cache listing at the moment (GC1WPF0 if it matters) without ticking the box to say I agree to the Earthcache guidelines. Surely that box shouldn't be visible for other cache types or at least shouldn't need to be ticked for other cache types?

Sorry, we'll fix this. :lol:

Obviously we won't hold you to the guidelines unless it's an actual Earthcache.

Edited by OpinioNate

I go away for a few days and what happened????

The site looks so cartoonish now.

Was the old layout broke?

I'm not reading almost 8 pages of this so I just hope it's being worked on. I found a lot of links that go to 503 error. Was this stuff tested before rolling it out?

I found a lot of links that go to 503 error. Was this stuff tested before rolling it out?

Well, we are at almost 8 pages to this thread and there has been no mention of 503 errors until your post. Where are you seeing the errors? Have you tried blowing out your browser cache?

Cleared browser cache.

Its a 500 error(sorry):

"500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed."

I went to MY Profile>Trackable Items (Yours) and clicked "Yours">sort by "last log" and get this error. Sorting by distance works fine.

Using Win Vista with Firefox 3.5.7

EDIT to add: Also doing it under Ubuntu(Linux) 9.10 with Firefox 3.5.7.

Edited by Shilo