Release Notes 1/12/10

OpinioNate

I'm still not seeing what the problems are. I'm only bringing it up, because people's comments seem to be so far away from my experience, that I wonder if I'm either out of it, or....something (yeah, ok!). :)

I really dislike change. I'm usually one of the ones sitting there being upset, even though I don't usually say much because I know from experience that I'll get used to the change eventually. I disliked when the site changed from the bright kelly green to the more mellow sage-ish green we have now (many years ago, I'm dating myself). But now, of course, I love this green better than the almost neon one before that. :angry:

Anyways, this cosmetic change seems to be very slight, to me. I would have barely noticed it if it hadn't been announced. Mainly the same, but with a slightly more structured feel to the pages that is nice. I don't see why everyone is saying "ugly", since the change seems to be miniscule. I guess I'll never really know, as I can't see ya'll's computer screens. Some of the screen shots and specific complaints don't seem to be happening on my computer (except for Crow's screenshot). The cache logs look fine, no big white spaces, everything is displaying fine on my screen, spread out just fine, colors are fine, profile's the same as before, font's fine.

Hm. <_<:P

The line spacing is too much, it gives problems with a big cache description. A cache description which was readable in the Oregon a week ago is now not complet anymore.

Please change it back to line spacing 1 instead of 1,5 it saves paper and less RSI. <_<

Well, I've taken a look around and I have to agree. The site doesn't look very good now. I wasn't happy, really, with some of the way it looked before but now it looks like a High School HTML class put it together. It's visually painful in many areas (I mean it actually made my eyes ache looking at it). It's not completely about the white space. It's also about the font, the contrast, the spacing, etc.

I really know I could have done better.

In MyPublicProfile every "style=postition:absolute;" entry is now cuted away ... was this on purpose?

Now it is not possible to overlay maps with numbers any more.

MapIt does not work any more ....

Don't let us be Beta-Tester! Switch back to the old version till you have corrected all errors!

Edited by schistl

Seems, this is the correct place to post...

I definitivly don't like the new design as well. With all the added extra space everywhere, it might look cool on a Display with a pretty high resolution, but with a screen width of 1024pix it's hell on earth :P:). Additionally google-Maps and the Hide&Seek Page won't work... Not to mention, that the google-maps display always was very small on my display, but now is even smaller. I won't be complaining about non-working scripts... This is the normal risk with changes...

What about my trouble with searching for Geocaches? The google-Maps display gets stuck with 'Loading Map...'. Everytime I try a search I get redirected to the Advanced Search page. Has anybody encountered the same problems? Am I doing anything wrong? I'm using WinXP and Firefox 3.0.17.

I hope the changes aren't done yet <_<.

Apologies, if I made any mistakes in my english, I'm not a native speaker. Regards, Axel

For example, rather than being formatted perfectly for english text, all fields have to be 'expandable' so that they can fit longer german words. Hence the 'flowy' redesign.

"Flowy" doesn't require massive amounts of whitespace; the whitespace should be expanding & contracting along with the content.

"Visit Log" and/or "New York" could be a single line and still have enough space for the cache names to be on one line.

Yet the data doesn't need all that space! Don't set a width for the table at all, let it lay out "naturally". Fixed-width tables (instead of just letting them expand to the space they need) are terrible for readability - way too much horizontal whitespace.

Another thing I was wondering is: why not make more use of well known icons. Everyone recognizes the smilies, the cache symbols etc. If space is such a problematic thing...

* don't put "Xaa found" there everywhere. If it starts with a smiley I know it's a find. And I know it's my log history.

* if it has a cache icon, I know the type :-) no need to spell it out (which is weird since if I go to the second page (where you selected only history for caches), the type is not even mentioned at all)

* if I take the "Your geocaching details" page on 'Your profile', it includes all the logs AND a Visit Log page. I'd rather not have all the log content there, if I need it, I'll visit the log.

I agree that the whitespacing is a problem all over the site and does not help to navigate on GC.com. In fact it makes GC.com a worse experience right now. I think GC.com is a website where people try to find and scan information quickly by browsing through a lot of data. This is true for the map searching options as well as lists of information (PQ site, Cache listings, logs, etc.) But the whitespaces rip information apart instead of helping to get an overview over things.

Most netbooks and older screens have a 1024 x 600 (768) resolution. (I could imagine that a lot of geocachers use netbooks on their trips.) So some pages need a lot of scrolling due to the line space within texts. This makes the use of GC.com very uncomfortable, especially when you are on a trip using a touchpad.

Moreover some sites are very strange now as the proportion of frames seem to be unregular - e.g. the friends page does not show two friends in a row anymore. There is just one and so a lot of scrolling is necessary when using 1024px width. But even on another screen with 1280px width there is a problem: As some friend profiles have more entries the sorting seems to have a problem: Sometimes there is one friend profile in a row if it's a long entry and sometimes two if both entries are short. This looks not very nice.

On the map search page the list of caches at the right side of the screen seems to be out of place as it goes down much further than the map itself. Not very nice too.

I could imagine a couple of solutions:

1. Let users choose the resolution and adjust GC.com accordingly.

2. On pages where users dig through a lot of information (list, listing, log, maps) remove the overflow of whitespace as it make getting information harder. On pages where a nice design and "web 2.0"-feeling is needed the pages could have more whitespace. E.g. on the starting page or general information pages.

3. If both is not possible I would favor a switch back to the old layout as it was much more useful to get information quickly.

Thanks for listening. <_<

I am using firefox by the way - not sure if it's the same on IE.

Hello again,

solved the Problem with google-maps, thanks to a local forum. Just activated and deactivated Grease-Monkey and there we go... Maps work fine again. Just the Hide&Seek functionality is missing. To be more precise: Clicking Hide&Seek inserting the desired adress takes me to the advanced search page.

regards, Axel

The line spacing is too much, it gives problems with a big cache description. A cache description which was readable in the Oregon a week ago is now not complet anymore.

Please change it back to line spacing 1 instead of 1,5 it saves paper and less RSI. <_<

I agree with this, for those of us that still have to do it the old fashioned way and print the cache pages it's cutting stuff off and wasting A LOT of paper......I only print the 1st page, but the descriptions are overflowing and cutting off when I print them so I have to print the 2nd & 3rd pages.....which definetly is using more ink too!

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. (And if it is a feature I'm not a big fan...)

If you have a cache on your ignore list and it has been found by someone else it will not show when looking through their found caches. (Not the best sentence grammar-wise, but I hope it gets the point across.)

Edited by OzGuff

IF IT AINT BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

Just logged in and I have to agree TOO much white space.

What have you done to the maps ???

When I click on a the map from a cache page the map has NO detail, when I select Satellite I get a horrible road map and no sat detail.

Also today at 11.45 GMT from the UK it is taking over 1 minute to load a page.

Please sort this out as I love geocaching, but if the site does not work I'll just go for a walk.

Horrible design <_<

Why have you changed that? I only want to make a change when I will get an improvment? But I cannot see any improvment of the new design!

Some "highlights":

- Too much whitespacing all over the pages (including the linespacing)

- looks very unstructured, because of missing background colours/only white and light blue

- Archived caches not marked with red

- Small thumbnails in the gallery

- less html in the description (<hr> is gone)

- horrible tables (some borderline are mssing, too wide, ...)

- strange font

and so on

And some bugs:

- Maps are not loading

- enlarging gallery pictures will only work with two or more pictures for one cache

(All tested with Opera 10, but IE is even worse)

Hey Groundspeak: Who has tested this new application before releasing? These bugs are so obvious, everyone can realize them in a few seconds, why not Groundspeak?

Please make a restore and give us back the old design!

Rüdiger

Also, on the maps the icon for the unfound caches is blank. <_<:P:)

I looked on one of my own Travel Bugs page and the logs box over writes the picture. :angry:;):)

Where is my Travel Bug all I can see on the map is the tracking line, NO MAP. Come on sort this out.

Was this ever beta tested. I am using IE 6 at work but will try it at home but I don't hold much hope it will be any different.

Edited by The Happy Wanderers 2009
With the latest release of Geocaching.com, we have modernized the site to allow us to move forward with future projects in an effort to better address the needs of our users. In doing so, some third-party tools, such as GreaseMonkey Scripts, may no longer work because of changes to the underlying structure of the site. We regret that some browser addons will break ...

Since I was a beta tester for the new site, I have already updated most of my Greasemonkey scripts to work with the new layout. But in doing so, they are no longer compatible with the old layout, so I'm going to wait a couple of hours to make sure no show-stopping problems are found that necessitates going back. It's not that I don't have faith in the beta-testers, but history has shown that a wider audience often seems to find problems that the beta-testers missed.

I will post a list of all my scripts, plus links to upgrade, in a future post.

Just updated to the latest Bag O' Tricks. I was shocked that you had this working with the new layout so quickly. Bravo!

Saw on your site that you even plan to get the VIP List working in the next few days. I love that one too! <_<

I also very much dislike the new look more for the changes in the column width's

a couple specific things i've found are there is no difference in color between the caches you've found placed and not found in the search. another where are my maps? google maps are not working at all and the window size is deathly small.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature. (And if it is a feature I'm not a big fan...)

If you have a cache on your ignore list and it has been found by someone else it will not show when looking through their found caches. (Not the best sentence grammar-wise, but I hope it gets the point across.)

Do they show up int the owner's list of owned caches?

I bet not.

This happened for a while when folks were clamoring to have ignored caches not show up on the maps.

The puzzle GeoChecker doesn't seem to be working now (I tried two of my puzzles and one of someone else's). Is this related to the update?

I get the following error, both with correct and incorrect coords:

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set in /home/simusi/public_html/index.php on line 1064

Logging query #1 failed : Table 'gc3_pointcloud' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

Pretty sure it has always been that way. I noticed it was definitively the case when looking at caches owned by someone. If you have an Ignore on one of their caches, it does not show up on their owned list.

I don't see this as a bug.

The puzzle GeoChecker doesn't seem to be working now (I tried two of my puzzles and one of someone else's). Is this related to the update?

Warning: mysql_query() [function.mysql-query]: Unable to save result set in /home/simusi/public_html/index.php on line 1064

Logging query #1 failed : Table 'gc3_pointcloud' is marked as crashed and should be repaired

That's a problem with Geochecker.com, not Groundspeak. Totally different organization.

-eP

I'm still not seeing what the problems are. I'm only bringing it up, because people's comments seem to be so far away from my experience, that I wonder if I'm either out of it, or....something (yeah, ok!). :)

I really dislike change. I'm usually one of the ones sitting there being upset, even though I don't usually say much because I know from experience that I'll get used to the change eventually. I disliked when the site changed from the bright kelly green to the more mellow sage-ish green we have now (many years ago, I'm dating myself). But now, of course, I love this green better than the almost neon one before that. :angry:

Anyways, this cosmetic change seems to be very slight, to me. I would have barely noticed it if it hadn't been announced. Mainly the same, but with a slightly more structured feel to the pages that is nice. I don't see why everyone is saying "ugly", since the change seems to be miniscule. I guess I'll never really know, as I can't see ya'll's computer screens. Some of the screen shots and specific complaints don't seem to be happening on my computer (except for Crow's screenshot). The cache logs look fine, no big white spaces, everything is displaying fine on my screen, spread out just fine, colors are fine, profile's the same as before, font's fine.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one.

Dear Groundspeak team,

please - revert the design changes.

There really is way too much whitespace and line spacing, the site is now almost unusable with a netbook. I also miss the different background colors.

And please re-allow more HTML and CSS in cache descriptions - <hr>, position:absolute...

So, what are your plans to remedy that situation? If most displays are incorrectly tuned, then either provide a means to correctly tune them, or respond to "I can't see it!" complaints by fixing the problem.

How can a single website "fix" the complaints when each mistuned display is mistuned in a different way? Nor can a website tune your display. But you already know both of those, you're probably just trying to stir something up.

Low-contrast is bad for a number of reasons, but that's no excuse for not making sure your own display is set up properly.

No, I am not "trying to stir something up" and I do not appreciate that insinuation. I am trying to make things better. If a change to using low contrast colors becomes an issue with the majority of users, then do not use low contrast colors. Its simple. You can't ask everyone that uses your website to calibrate their monitor.

Dan you have been stirring things up days on end for along time, stop pretending, Monitor setup is computer 101 stuff.

How can a single website "fix" the complaints when each mistuned display is mistuned in a different way? Nor can a website tune your display. But you already know both of those, you're probably just trying to stir something up.

Low-contrast is bad for a number of reasons, but that's no excuse for not making sure your own display is set up properly.

Small words read them carefully. It was good before the fix. It isn't now. We didn't touch our monitors.

I do not have the time to read through five pages. It would be nice if instead of one thread dealing with the whole update, there existed separate threads dealing with issues like design, functionality etc.

I am not happy about the fact that like it was the case already with previous site updates, again my cache pages are effected. I am not willing to check my cache pages after each update and to modify them. I could understand changes in case of security issues, but typically the changes are just side effects of questionable changes. Since yesterday horizontal rules (<hr>) are not any longer shown. (It appears to be a CSS-issue.) This is quite annoying as my cache descriptions are long and are offered in more than one language. I used horizontal rules as separation mark.

Wouldn't it be possible to refrain from changes which have effects on cache pages like the above or such changes which are absolute necessary?

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

OMG! horrible design, horrible updates.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/

Trackable Items (Yours)??? WTF? that are my Track. Items not yours... Thats crazy..

Geocaching > Your Profile??? The same, my profile...

--------

http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx

"<td> </td>" wtf?

right menu? thats menu or 50% of page?

space space space only white space, small font and bad aligns...

Edited by caesar1987

Small words read them carefully. It was good before the fix. It isn't now. We didn't touch our monitors.

Stop making sense. They don't want to hear it. <_<

:P Why? This new skin of Geocaching.com is full of white spaces,

spaces between rows are tooooooooooooooooooo big

and statistics, logs etc. are not for people, but for extraterrestrials.

It's user unfriendly!!! Unusable!

Its horrible for me <_<

And if I use my netbook i won't be able to work with GC.com cmfortable.

I hope you can change the layout of your pages.

Thanks, Xichteria :)

That's a problem with Geochecker.com, not Groundspeak. Totally different organization.

-eP

see this

Registrant:

Groundspeak

PMB 321

24 Roy St

Seattle, WA 98109 4018

US

Registrar: 000DOM

Domain Name: GEOCHECKER.COM

Created on: 26-JUN-06

Expires on: 26-JUN-11

Last Updated on: 10-SEP-09

Administrative, Technical Contact:

Administrator, Groundspeak domains@Groundspeak.com

Groundspeak

PMB 321

24 Roy St

Seattle, WA 98109 4018

US

206-405-1945

Not different, that are the same

On Geocaching map doesnt work "Hide My Finds" and "Hide My Caches" option...

onclick javascript must have broke. If you zoom in or out after clicking on those options, it does change. Or click check for a cache type and then check mark back in.

My maps aren't loading at all... (Firefox 3.5.7)

Go to the map that isn't loading, in windows hold the shift key and then F5. That will cause your internet cache to totally reload the page and the scripts.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it...still not loading. The little arrows just circle round and round with no change.

It worked for me by just using F5 without the shift key. Thanks

Before the update, when I ran a PQ Preview I would see 8 or 9 caches on the first sceen. Now I see 5. That means a lot of extra cursoring to do the same thing.

German Umlaute (ä, ü, ö, Ö, Ä,Ü) in the cache description are changed to "HTML-Umlaute"

For example:

ü will now be changed to ü

this is horrible, so it it much more difficult to make the cache descriptions.

<_<:P:):angry:

PLEASE CHANGE BACK to the recent behaviour !!

I also have the same problems as others with the <hr>-Tag (horizontal rule)

And the space are toooooooo large

Before the update, when I ran a PQ Preview I would see 8 or 9 caches on the first sceen. Now I see 5. That means a lot of extra cursoring to do the same thing.

Maybe I'm not looking at the same page? Because I see 20 caches per page.

I'm still not seeing what the problems are. I'm only bringing it up, because people's comments seem to be so far away from my experience, that I wonder if I'm either out of it, or....something (yeah, ok!). :angry:

I really dislike change. I'm usually one of the ones sitting there being upset, even though I don't usually say much because I know from experience that I'll get used to the change eventually. I disliked when the site changed from the bright kelly green to the more mellow sage-ish green we have now (many years ago, I'm dating myself). But now, of course, I love this green better than the almost neon one before that. ;)

Thanks, I don't feel as crazy, now. Or else there's just another crazy out there, which ever the case may be. :):)

I'm still not seeing what the problems are. I'm only bringing it up, because people's comments seem to be so far away from my experience, that I wonder if I'm either out of it, or....something (yeah, ok!). :angry:

I really dislike change. I'm usually one of the ones sitting there being upset, even though I don't usually say much because I know from experience that I'll get used to the change eventually. I disliked when the site changed from the bright kelly green to the more mellow sage-ish green we have now (many years ago, I'm dating myself). But now, of course, I love this green better than the almost neon one before that. ;)

Thanks, I don't feel as crazy, now. Or else there's just another crazy out there, which ever the case may be. :):)

Make it 3. I kinda like it.

Yes. There are 20 per page. I was referring to screen. Not page.

Yes. There are 20 per page. I was referring to screen. Not page.

Ah, ok I get it. ;) I count 9 on my screen, then.

edit to add: not sure how many I had before the change, though, I never noticed.

Edited by Ambrosia

"Your" versus "Mine" on profile page

Changed “Mine” to “Your” for consistency. Will review the choice to switch from “My/Mine X” to “Your X”

Just pointing out that at the top of the forums it's "My Controls" and "My Assistant". And the it's still "My Profile" on the stat bar and "My Public Profile" on the page that is named "http://www.geocaching.com/my/"

Consistency is good, but it really should me "my" and "mine", in much the same way as in Windows it's called "My Documents" and "My Pictures".

Edited by Castle Mischief
see this

Registrant:

Groundspeak

PMB 321

24 Roy St

Seattle, WA 98109 4018

US

Not different, that are the same

Wow, that completely surprises me for this reason: while reviewing one of my puzzle caches a while ago, my local reviewer said that there was some discussion amongst the reviewers about whether or not caches that used Geochecker would be allowed because of the ads on Geochecker.

Plus, the Geochecker site claims that this guy is the owner/operator. Curiouser and curiouser ...

Okay, tangent over. Is the excessive white space gone yet? And has the display of my <table> and <hr> tags returned to normal? <_<