Release Notes 1/12/10

OpinioNate

Sorry if it's been reported before, but I'm not reading through all 9 pages :P

When editing a Puzzle/Mystery cache listing why am I asked to confirm I've read the guidelines for an Earth Cache?

From someone who has read through all 9 pages :) it has been reported, and Groundspeak has acknowledged, promised a fix, and said you're obviously not held to the guidelines for an earthcache when publishing a puzzle.

I tried submitting an earthcache with html and imbedded images.

Had no luck - even though I had done it several times before. Went to checked on one of my old listings that used html and the whole page was WRECKED!

Anyone notice this with other listings that are in html??

:P

What OS and Browser are you using. If the answer is IE6, then yes.

I have read through all 10 pages but I don't remember if I have seen this reported or not (I know it was not in the list of fixes posted yesterday):

- IE6, Windows XP: when checking an individual log, the left column of the page is blank and there are no links to anywhere in geocaching.com, which reduces the options to navigate from that log

Presentation1-1.jpg

P.S. Google maps doesn't work for me either (IE6, W-XP) after clearing cache, logging off and back on and clearing cache again. Yesterday it showed white squares for the caches on a grey background, after the changes made at some point yesterday, the only difference is that now I see the icons for the different kinds of caches but they are still on a grey background (satellite view shows roads and nothing else and MyTopo works fine).

I tried submitting an earthcache with html and imbedded images.

Had no luck - even though I had done it several times before. Went to checked on one of my old listings that used html and the whole page was WRECKED!

Anyone notice this with other listings that are in html??

:P

What OS and Browser are you using. If the answer is IE6, then yes.

XP and IE6 - what version do we need to be using?

It looks like I have a bug to report. I was trying to edit one of my caches using Google Chrome, but I couldn't finish the edits because the checkboxes weren't showing up. I didn't have any box to click next to agreeing to the terms and guidelines. I had to load up Firefox to do my editing.

Also, I was surprised that for editing an event page, I was required to check off reading/agreeing to earthcache guidelines.

Edit: Nevermind. I restarted Chrome and it worked just fine.

Edit-2: Nevermind that nevermind. The last time, the checkboxes appeared. I wasn't able to save my updates, however. I would click on "submit." It seemed to go through... except the page actually didn't change. I never got any message saying the page was updated. Any changes I did make were reverted. I restarted Chrome again to find the checkboxes weren't there. I guess I do have Chrome troubles with editing a page, after all.

Edited by Aberwak

Just wanted to mention that I get same server "500 - Internal server error." when trying to sort the trackables from my profile by "Last Log". Sorting by Name or by Distance works flawlessly.

This is a known issue and will be corrected on the live site as soon as we can push out again.

Ok new information, hope someone can help. For two day I have been saying my pages open slow.

I have cleared the cache, dumped the cookies, got rid of everything I can think of. I am still way too slow.

As a test, I went to another computer that I know has never been to Geocaching.com. Everything loads with blazing speed, it is a beautiful thing.

So I am missing something on my other computers, does anyone have any idea what and where my problem might be? I must have speed. Thanks

*snip*

Scrollin’ scrollin’ scrollin’

Style sheets overflowin’

Scrollin’ scrollin’ scrollin’

Too Wide!

*snip*

Now that's funny! I say give that cacher a free month of premium membership for making people smile. :) I'm sure I'm not the only one who smiled when I read this. :P

Mrs. Car54

I'm not sure this has been addressed yet.

When you look up another cacher's profile to see what caches they've found recently, the list displays in the order their logs were written rather than being grouped by date as they were previously. I normally read all of my caching partner's logs and he doesn't necessarily log in order by date, so now his list of recent finds shows from top to bottom

5 caches found on 10 January

1 cache found on 13 January

2 more caches found on 10 January

1 cache found on 12 January

2 more caches found on 10 January

It's very confusing having finds on any one given date split up by more recent finds.

P.S. I'd give you a screen shot of that, but the white space makes it three feet long.

finddates.jpg

*snip*

Scrollin' scrollin' scrollin'

Style sheets overflowin'

Scrollin' scrollin' scrollin'

Too Wide!

*snip*

Now that's funny! I say give that cacher a free month of premium membership for making people smile. :) I'm sure I'm not the only one who smiled when I read this. :P

Mrs. Car54

Yes, I had a good laugh over it, as well. I don't think, however, that Palmetto (a reviewer) will need any help with premium membership. His platinum membership trumps premium any day of the week.

Reagarding shading, for what it's worth I'm not seeing any shading in the list of local caches in IE6.

7b0d73de-8645-4def-a921-4fa0f093e982.jpg

This is an IE bug. I didn't check, but the CSS for the table cell probably has "background:transparent;" in it. The developers will need to remove this in order to fix the issue.

-Edited to add that this is not just an IE6 bug. The problem still exists in IE8.

Edited by rtyrie

P.S. Google maps doesn't work for me either (IE6, W-XP) after clearing cache, logging off and back on and clearing cache again. Yesterday it showed white squares for the caches on a grey background, after the changes made at some point yesterday, the only difference is that now I see the icons for the different kinds of caches but they are still on a grey background (satellite view shows roads and nothing else and MyTopo works fine).

The maps seem to work ok if you open up the map page and then click the refresh button when it's not loading correctly. When the page refreshes the map comes up ok. It seems to help map loading issues on both IE and FF.

I just came back from a friend who is a bit more computer literate than I, she installed Firefox and now I can get my cache in progress (working on cache page) up and all in one piece. However, I'm trying to imbed a picture on the cache page (public space source: wikipedia) and cannot do this anymore. I can use it as a background pic but not a picture on the cache page. What has changed there? What do I need to do now to imbed a picture? :P

Also, I have to say: I am a paying member and am wondering: Who owns geocaching.com now? Did lobbyists (GPS manufacturers, PC manufacturers, browser companies etc) have anything to do with your updates. Do I need to buy all new equipment to be able to cache and post caches? It seems that a lot of my stuff is all of a sudden outdated, I'm unable to use it (i.e. IE-which had served me well), or I have to attend a geocaching.com course to learn how to do a cache page all of a sudden. Is there a conspiracy to keep AARP members (or non-members, you get my drift: the "older" generation or someone not too techsavy) from enjoying this hobby/sport? I wouldn't be surprised if somebody tried to seek attorney advise. Don't we as your customers have any rights?

How come the retail world in general with tons of websites doesn't have the problems that we are experiencing? I suspect that a great many people can't even get on the site to voice their concerns. I'm afraid you will have a lot of angry, upset customers that will quit putting caches out or quit caching altogether.

I am all for progress, but this is ridiculous!

On a congratulatory side: Now that I use FF as browser, everything does come up much faster. :)

Also, I have to say: I am a paying member and am wondering: Who owns geocaching.com now? Did lobbyists (GPS manufacturers, PC manufacturers, browser companies etc) have anything to do with your updates. Do I need to buy all new equipment to be able to cache and post caches? It seems that a lot of my stuff is all of a sudden outdated, I'm unable to use it (i.e. IE-which had served me well), or I have to attend a geocaching.com course to learn how to do a cache page all of a sudden. Is there a conspiracy to keep AARP members (or non-members, you get my drift: the "older" generation or someone not too techsavy) from enjoying this hobby/sport? I wouldn't be surprised if somebody tried to seek attorney advise. Don't we as your customers have any rights?

Can I be the first to say "Huh?!"

The maps seem to work ok if you open up the map page and then click the refresh button when it's not loading correctly. When the page refreshes the map comes up ok. It seems to help map loading issues on both IE and FF.

I did try refreshing and it didn't work for me.

I have read all the pages of this thread and don't see this one. I'm not sure if it is new as I have not tried this before.

I was adding some caches to my ignore list by entering the GC#. I was looking at page 2 when I did this and after I hit enter, the page refreshed and page 1 was shown as expected. I could no longer get to page 2. When I tried, page 3 showed up even though the page number list at the bottom showed page 2. I did this by using Next, by clicking on 2 from page 1 as well as a later page. None of that worked.

Edit to add FF 3.5.7 on my Mac with Snow Leopard

Edited by WeightMan

I have read all the pages of this thread and don't see this one. I'm not sure if it is new as I have not tried this before.

I was adding some caches to my ignore list by entering the GC#. I was looking at page 2 when I did this and after I hit enter, the page refreshed and page 1 was shown as expected. I could no longer get to page 2. When I tried, page 3 showed up even though the page number list at the bottom showed page 2. I did this by using Next, by clicking on 2 from page 1 as well as a later page. None of that worked.

Edit to add FF 3.5.7 on my Mac with Snow Leopard

Disregard that last. I tried it again and it was my error.

When you look up another cacher's profile to see what caches they've found recently, the list displays in the order their logs were written rather than being grouped by date as they were previously.

This is one of those bugs that we keep fixing but then keeps coming back. I've got it entered in the bug queue and we will address it, although I can't see when you'll see the fix on the live site.

I did also update the locate me button, and while it did give me the search results, the go button still redirects me to the home page.

And all of this was working correctly for you prior to the site upgrade?

I think so, and it was working just after the update was implemented, but it started yesterday. I haven't seen the IE cannot open this page error since then, so I wonder if the fix for that problem disabled the search function on the home page.

IE6 is a difficult situation. It was released in 2001, which is ancient by computer and web standards, yet because it was what was installed by default on one of the more popular OS releases of all times, it is still in use by a significant portion of users. For that reason we still want to support it. However, the significance of its market share is quickly dwindling, so if you have the ability and opportunity, I do recommend that you try updating. Your web browsing on a whole will be much better for it.

To better understand some of the issues with IE6, you should read this informative blog entry at Mashable.com.

I did also update the locate me button, and while it did give me the search results, the go button still redirects me to the home page.

And all of this was working correctly for you prior to the site upgrade?

I think so, and it was working just after the update was implemented, but it started yesterday. I haven't seen the IE cannot open this page error since then, so I wonder if the fix for that problem disabled the search function on the home page.

I copied and pasted the coordinates back into the search box, and ran the search, and it did give me the result I was expecting. When I went back to the home page, though, and clicked on it again without copying and pasting the coordinates in the search box, it still went back to the home page.

Wow my first thingy that doesn't work since the last update.

When visiting "View a Cache Log", i can't see the image?

The link i used is "Logged Visits (### total. Visit the Gallery (# images))" What i see is a empty box.

Maybe this was mentioned before but there are so much complaints i just add it to let you guys know.

Regards

Sort by LAST LOG results in server error 500 for cache trackable history too

(www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?wid=<guid>)

On page what is now called Trackable items (YOURS)(Btw. I don't like that change).. When trying to SORT trackables that I own by LAST LOG, it won't work in any browser I have ( Opera, IE, FF, Chrome)..Other options (name and distance) work however.

"500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed."

In MY public profile when looking all found geocaches. Distances from my home coordinates to found geocaches don't exist. Or is the option "Distances Measured in Kilometers Switch" there by mistake?

IE6 is a difficult situation. It was released in 2001

I agree and I wonder why you do not use something like http://code.google.com/p/ie6-upgrade-notification-bar/ and adapt it for you? I would even go further and just do like Google is doing for YouTube and write a message about the fact they wil be phasing out support for IE6 soon (must be very soon now).

I have waited patiently and try to read most of the posts hoping for a solution to my problems. Nothing yet.

I use a computer at work that runs XP-SP3 and IE-6 and I am also not getting the maps. I've tried all the usual things and nothing seems to work and the site runs ALOT slower. A couple of other notes. When I first pull up a map page all I see are the empty cache boxes. When I hit refresh maps the icons show up in the boxes. If I click on one of the caches the description displays but the little red x "close window" is missing. Also we received new 24" widescreen monitors a couple months back and I liked being able to expand the site and maps to full screen. The website does not expand out any more to fill the screen.

On a personal note I like the cleaner fonts but there is way too much white space for my preference. Please tighten it up.

The overhaul of the site design has intruded some on the user's control over their cache descriptions and profiles. We are working on a solution right now to give that control back to the user, but it is fairly complicated given the nature of the design changes to the site. For that reason I cannot promise when it will be corrected, but it is a top priority.

Still nothing about <blockquote> and cellpadding attribute for tables?

<snip>with changes comes frustration...</snip>

Only if they're done sloppily.

The css rules on this site are hugely frustrating, for example the base font declaration is:

font:13px/1.231 arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;

and h2 increases the size using:

font-size:153.9%;

and I've already mentioned my aversion to:

line-height:1.75em;

being the default across the site...

At least it's possible to restyle it.

Tried reverting to LYNX to get some things done on the site, and am seeing more issues with it than I was with a graphical browser... Seeing many pages failing to load, and seem to be having issues with a lot of bad partial references. I am also having issues with cookies in LYNX but that may be purely a LYNX issue...

"Clear your cache" isn't a fix (at least beyond extreme instances).

I think you're wrong on this one point here.

The latest website update included changes to the website's HTML, CSS, JS and probably a few other acronyms. Generally, when you re-visit a given page, your browser only requests a new copy of the HTML. It will continue to use the old CSS and JS. Depending on your browser settings, after re-starting your browser it will re-request all the files, or at least check what their latest date is. From what I've seen, however, there are frequent cases where the browser simply refuses to get the new copies of all the files, and nothing short of clearing the cache, or forcing a full-refresh will fix the problem. Clearing the cache isn't all that easy for many people, but fortunately forcing a full-refresh is. I've already seen at least 3 posts in this thread saying that it worked!

In Firefox, hold down the shift key while pressing the refresh button at the top of the browser.

In IE, hold down the ctrl key while pressing the refresh button at the top of the browser.

Easy, and it ain't going to hurt anything. And it very well might help.

line-height:1.75em;

being the default across the site...

They haven't said why that particular change? I mean there must be someone who asked to add space between lines, I doubt it's one of the programmer who took the initiative. I bet this has also been discussed around a table, no?

I vote for 1.25em

"Clear your cache" isn't a fix (at least beyond extreme instances).

I think you're wrong on this one point here.

This is why I said 'beyond extreme instances' - precisely what you described. Generally, browsers are by default set to refresh a cached page if the modified date has changed* in the http headers, otherwise it'll use the cached version. afaik, users have to manually set the browser to always use the cached page (else force a refresh). Dynamically generated pages tend to automatically provide the current date/time as the last-modified header, meaning unless default browser settings have changed, the page will in fact automatically refresh. So, the extreme cases are where the browser is set to not update the cached version even if the last-modified date has changed, or if there's a problem with the browser doing so. In which case, yep, force the refresh.

Which doesn't change the point - making an update that requires a user to manually empty/refresh the cache, let alone without globally informing users they may need to do that (and how to do so, presuming everyone just knows or will try naturally) is not good form.

* various browsers may have alternate/additional methods for determining if a page content has changed by using http headers, like comparing file size, hash, etc. Either way, an http call includes headers as part 1 and the body (optionally requested) as part 2. Forcing a refresh means ignoring any header comparisons, and downloading the body all the time.

/endhttpclass =P

Edited by thebruce0
I vote for 1.25em

I vote for 1.1em :P

Default line spacing really is enough... if it's for readability, a tad extra space can help, but not much should be needed. Larger font size is more appropriate in such cases than more line spacing. And even then, accessibility overrides (or greasemonkey-like post-scripting) can adjust it manually at the browser-end.

Found something weird that happens with Firefox 3.5.7 and Vista32/Vista64.

When I'm sending an email to a user and have text in the text box, if I hit the back button and then the forward button, the text is still there, but it disappears as soon as I click in the text box.

Usually with FF, when you do that, the text will remain and you can just add to it. This doesn't happen when writing a log. You can back away from a page and the go forward, and when you click to start typing, previous text remains there.

Can anny one tell me why i have to accept "Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for submitting an EarthCache." when i uppdate a traditional geocache?

I dont have a Earthcache and i then i dont feel the need to accept the guidelines ..... logic?

Also, if I can finally get a cache page open-I try to get a listing of nearby caches, too. I can't get that list to come up either-operation aborted. If I try to get a map---I get nothing most of the time.
They need to know your operating system, browser, and browser version.

I haven't seen this bug mentioned yet: When I do a search for geocaches, there's sometimes a geocoin icon shown next to a cache icon, indicating that a coin is in the cache. If there's more than one coin, a generic icon (a stack of coins) appears. I used to be able to get more information by moving the mouse pointer onto that icon; a small box would appear which showed what kinds of coin were in the cache. Now that doesn't happen; I have to go to the cache page to find that out.

I noticed a similar problem in the cache pages. You used to be able to get a small description of the attributes by moving the mouse pointer over the attribute icon. That is not working anymore.

Can anny one tell me why i have to accept "Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for submitting an EarthCache." when i uppdate a traditional geocache?

I dont have a Earthcache and i then i dont feel the need to accept the guidelines ..... logic?

They have told us that this will be fixed in the next push.

It's called a bug, a software malfunction or error, name usually attributed to a moth that got caught in a relay switch of an ENIAC.

IE6 is a difficult situation. It was released in 2001, which is ancient by computer and web standards, yet because it was what was installed by default on one of the more popular OS releases of all times, it is still in use by a significant portion of users. For that reason we still want to support it. However, the significance of its market share is quickly dwindling, so if you have the ability and opportunity, I do recommend that you try updating. Your web browsing on a whole will be much better for it.

Just adding that while I have to use IE6 here at work, I am by no means suggesting that support for a 9-year-old browser should be something of a priority. If I'm not able to view some things correctly then so be it- I'll just wait till I'm at home. I'm only posting the issues I see with IE6 to highlight the issues should the dev team feel that they will continue to support it and so maybe other users of IE6 can see the source of their problems.

There are a ton of reasons why you shouldn't be using IE6. If it's a PC that you own and that you can download updates to then there's really no reason to be avoiding IE7 or IE8. If you have your automatic updates running properly and you're connected to the Internet then you should already be using it. If you're not updating the OS, then you're going to have a host of other issues.

Operating Systems and Browsers become obsolete, it's just the nature of the beast.

They have told us that this will be fixed in the next push.

Thanx !!

It would be nice to be able to read a read only thread

"this issues we know about and ar going to fix in this prio. order" :P