Release Notes 1/12/10

OpinioNate

I have just seen that the order of pictures in logs is now reversed (now: last uploaded image first, before: last uploaded image last).

I think that's not logical. The order of the logs themselves is correct: newest one first. But each log is read from top to bottom, so the pictures should be in that order, too!

Thanks in advance for reverting that change...

I like to find caches on the map screen but now I don't see ANY caches or smilies. My main browser is Mozilla Thunderbird and I occasionally use IE, but tonight neither one is showing the caches.

It seems to be working for me, and no one else has noticed this problem. Try clearing your browser cache, or do a shift-refresh and see if that helps any.

If it doesn't help, what versions of Mozilla and IE are you using?

Ouch, why so many change to cache page, I mean why are you parsing the code differently? Was there really abnormal abuse of some code?

The 1st page of a cache I looked was one of mine and it is not looking good.

I have a background color but when there is a <blockquote> now the background color is overrided and is gray. Cellpadding attribute of my tables are no more working.

Will those 2 be fixed soon?

Thanks

Edited by Rhialto

I like to find caches on the map screen but now I don't see ANY caches or smilies. My main browser is Mozilla Thunderbird and I occasionally use IE, but tonight neither one is showing the caches.

I am hoping this isn't an "improvement"

Map screen not loading for me either. Just hangs telling me that its loading...

MacBook - Safari 4.0.4

:lol:

Situation normal back on the farm,as usual. :lol:

I know that some are not happy with the redesign, but comments like this are not helpful at all. It would be useful if people could refrain from these types of potshots. Instead, please focus on reporting objective issues with functionality introduced in this release. Nate, I and others are monitoring this thread for reported bugs, but it is difficult at times to separate the wheat from all of the chaff. Thanks for your consideration.

I didn't see this posted when I searched.

I get a 500 Internal Error web page when I click on the Groundspeak Goodies link. I'm using Firefox 3.5.7.

See this thread for 500 error :P

Its a 500 error(sorry):

We definitely want to correct this issue, but it is not part of this roll-out. See this thread.

LOL Moun10Bike is quicker than I am :lol:

Edited by Shilo
I have a background color but when there is a <blockquote> now the background color is overrided and is gray. Cellpadding attribute of my tables are no more working.

Thanks

The overhaul of the site design has intruded some on the user's control over their cache descriptions and profiles. We are working on a solution right now to give that control back to the user, but it is fairly complicated given the nature of the design changes to the site. For that reason I cannot promise when it will be corrected, but it is a top priority.

I am hoping this isn't an "improvement"

Map screen not loading for me either. Just hangs telling me that its loading...

MacBook - Safari 4.0.4

:lol:

Reloaded just a second ago and it seems to work now! Anyone else?

Thanks

The overhaul of the site design has intruded some on the user's control over their cache descriptions and profiles. We are working on a solution right now to give that control back to the user, but it is fairly complicated given the nature of the design changes to the site. For that reason I cannot promise when it will be corrected, but it is a top priority.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to read. :lol:

While I was still looking around I noticed that when you want to look at pics in a gallery, they don't show up. Must have been reported before I guess? See here and click a picture.

Good night working on this and that! Hope the night won't be too long for all of you...

I'll take another look tomorrow.

I am indifferent to change in the new look, don't really have a problem with it. I do not like all the extra space, however.

My BIG concern is the speed that pages load now. It crawls. I used to be able to blast through 28 pages of cach listings in less than 10 minutes. If I can get through 8 in that time now, I have done well.

When I open a new page, it says searching for caches for a solid 60 seconds before they load.

I first thought it was my connection, but I have since tried it in two other locations with very fast internet access, same problem.

Most of the time, after viewing a couple of pages, I get a warning that what I am looking for cannot be found and it has timed out. Then nothing happens, so I have to start over. I have let it sit in that condition a few times, for several minutes and nothing happens.

While I was still looking around I noticed that when you want to look at pics in a gallery, they don't show up. Must have been reported before I guess? See here and click a picture.

Yes, that is a known bug and we had hoped to fix it before now, but it was not to be. It is on the short list for immediate correction.

If you know of any other broken functionality that has not been acknowledged by either Nate or me, please post here so we can be sure nothing is overlooked for the next batch of fixes.

My BIG concern is the speed that pages load now. It crawls.

I have to think that what you are experiencing is unrelated to the site update. We are not seeing widespread reports of site slowdowns, and no changes have been made to the servers that I can imagine would affect their performance. The changes to the site infrastructure made by the redesign should actually have sped things up if anything.

So far, mostly not compatible with Safari anymore. For a day I couldn't log on to my page, now I can get to my profile but can't navigate. Pages are blank.

I'm not seeing that myself. There are some small formatting issues, but overall I'm seeing no broken functionality - cache pages, maps, trackables, etc. are all working fine for me. What OS and version of Safari are you using?

So far, mostly not compatible with Safari anymore. For a day I couldn't log on to my page, now I can get to my profile but can't navigate. Pages are blank.

I'm not seeing that myself. There are some small formatting issues, but overall I'm seeing no broken functionality - cache pages, maps, trackables, etc. are all working fine for me. What OS and version of Safari are you using?

Maybe it will come back later. I'm using Firefox in the meantime.

When I click on the search by latitude and longitude button on the home page, I just get redirected back to the home page.

I'm not seeing anything like this in either IE8 or Firefox. What browser and OS are you running?

IE 7 on XP, same as before.

When I hover over the button, it says default.aspx down in the lower left corner of the browser, and sends me to http://www.geocaching.com/default.aspx

I have to think that what you are experiencing is unrelated to the site update. We are not seeing widespread reports of site slowdowns, and no changes have been made to the servers that I can imagine would affect their performance. The changes to the site infrastructure made by the redesign should actually have sped things up if anything.

It crawls for me too - I can't think of anything else that has changed other than the update.

I do not have any idea what could cause it. I have tried it on my home computer with satellite access, 2 computers at work on T1s, and a friends home computer on DSL, all have the same problem.

I was searching caches at work yesterday when the upgade started, speed was great at that time. When It became available again, speed was gone. Checked it when I got home, then at work again today, then the friends computer on the way home today. All the same, just real, real slow. Just got off the phone while typing this with another person, he has same problem. He is in another state, so it is definately not network related.

Just to be clear, I am not having this problem with any other web sites, they all load fine. The front page of Geocaching . com load fine as well, just the cash listings and the cach pages themselves.

Edited by Fncnca

I am running 1920 x 1080 on a 24" monitor just looked at the site on IE 8 its looking pretty good now to me. the only problem I see is in my profile the map showing the states I have cached in are there but the number of caches in each state are stacked below the map.

Now back to firefox

Hey Moun10Bike, I just noticed that the random pictures on www.geocaching.com (the main page, the one that would show up when you first point to the address) aren't showing up at all.

Windows XP running Firefox 3.0.17

Another voice on the colors on the white pale blue vs. grey vs. whatever color 'your' caches are they just aren't different enough and are a bit hard to quickly differentiate.

Also, please, 'yours' back to 'mine' And here's my logicical argument.

The profile page is like my control panel. It's where I can take control of things. It's my stuff. Now that we are talking in second person, that sense of "my space" is now gone as if one of you or the computer is talking to us. With it being in first person, then it relates to me. Otherwise I clinking on a link that should technically be taking me to your caches.

Things are looking a little better now. I can adjust. I looked at my cache pages, edited one. Everything looks OK on Chrome so far.

I don't understand the switch from "my/mine" to "your/yours," though. It changes the tone of things. When it was "mine" it was like it was just me and my pages and I have all the control. Changing it to "yours" makes it seem like there's a third party over my shoulder.

It seems to be working for me, and no one else has noticed this problem. Try clearing your browser cache, or do a shift-refresh and see if that helps any.

If it doesn't help, what versions of Mozilla and IE are you using?

Many thanks. After re-booting and open/closing Geocache.com several times, I shift/refreshed as you suggested and my maps now show the caches once again. I'll make a note of this. Maddmonk :lol:

Hey Moun10Bike, I just noticed that the random pictures on www.geocaching.com (the main page, the one that would show up when you first point to the address) aren't showing up at all.

Hmm, I'm not seeing that in any browser, but I don't have XP or FF 3.0 at my disposal. This is the first I've heard of this issue; is anyone else seeing it?

As for the rest of your post, you are addressing design issues that lean more into the subjective realm. I agree on the visibility issues with the alternating colors on cache listings, and that is being addressed (especially for IE, where it is the hardest to distinguish). The decision on My vs. Your thing came down from the top, though, so there's little that I can do about that right now. I think the community just needs to continue to make it clear that they don't like it! :lol:

Oh, and Safari is 4.0.3

Still very quirky.

Hmm, I'm not seeing that in any browser, but I don't have XP or FF 3.0 at my disposal. This is the first I've heard of this issue; is anyone else seeing it?

As for the rest of your post, you are addressing design issues that lean more into the subjective realm. I agree on the visibility issues with the alternating colors on cache listings, and that is being addressed (especially for IE, where it is the hardest to distinguish). The decision on My vs. Your thing came down from the top, though, so there's little that I can do about that right now. I think the community just needs to continue to make it clear that they don't like it! :lol:

As long as someone is at least looking into the colors, then I can suffer with it a bit. :P

I could probably try to update FF to 3.5, but it was causing me some other issues. They may have been fixed by now. Maybe I'll try again later. ((I just tried on my IE 8.0.6001 and the pictures aren't showing up as well, so it's probably something with the new change that my computer doesn't like, but I never had this problem before the update. What other info could be helpful to you to try to pin this down?))

as for the You/Mine.

I don't like it. (nice and clear)

Thanks for responding.

I will say that the speed has improved 100-fold for me. yay on that point.

I intensely dislike the 1.5 line spacing. It's wasteful. The width of the columns are influenced by widescreen monitors, but that's because the programmer was too lazy to put a max width on the table.

On a completely unrelated note (because I have to vent and whoever answers the email isn't seeing my issue). The auto-generated emails that Groundspeak puts out in the case of expiration and credit card denial completely contradict each other and screwed around with my membership). :lol:

Edited by karinagw

Oh, and Safari is 4.0.3

Still very quirky.

I have no trouble with FF 3.5.7

but Safari is useless now

It crawls for me too - I can't think of anything else that has changed other than the update.

FWIW: That is something that I am not experiencing in the least (Win XP, IE8 and IE7) If anything, some pieces might be a bit snappier.

Hey all, I noticed the design layout but didn't even realize the scale of the updates that were being done until I came looking to see what had changed. But since there's a bug discussion going on I figured I'd mention the only thing I've noticed not working so far in a polite way <rant>since there's quite a few angry people that apparently don't understand an upgrade with this many changes in it and how many problems usually happen. </rant>

I'm on Firefox 3.5.7 and it looks like the map doesn't want to load any results and continues to search while the box states that it's "loading map". Everything else that I've checked out so far looks to be working as it should though. Best of luck to ya guys

Just discovered a weird thing that I didn't think was mentioned.

When using the email form to contact someone, when the message is previewed after being sent, the display shows everything all run together without any returns, but the email itself (at least the copy you can send to yourself) shows correctly.

It's not a big thing, but it's just strange looking when it shows the preview.

Previews as:

Hi, Thanks for moving my travel bug. Would you be able to send me a larger version of the picture you took with it? Thanks, Mark

Emails as:

Hi,

Thanks for moving my travel bug.

Would you be able to send me a ...

Thanks,

Mark

On the pocket query page can you make the Name column self adjusting? Or maybe a bit narrower? With the column widths as they now are your can have a wrap on the time. Distracting. I don't recall seeing that before.

PQ.png

Edited by jholly