Attaching a micro to a Tree Branch

tcort

I have a micro cache capsule (aka bison tube) that I'd like to hang from a tree branch. What is the best method for doing this? By best method I mean one that does not cause any harm to the tree and can withstand Canadian weather (-30F to 100F / -35C to 38C).

I have a micro cache capsule (aka bison tube) that I'd like to hang from a tree branch. What is the best method for doing this? By best method I mean one that does not cause any harm to the tree and can withstand Canadian weather (-30F to 100F / -35C to 38C).

Wire or bent coat hanger attached to bison tube, hanging from a branch.

Now let's wait for the off topic replies from the micro haters :grin:

Edited by Chrysalides

As long as it doesn't harm the tree you are ok.

I don't like to see wire wrapped around the branch, because the branch will grow around it. Using part of a coat hanger works, just bend it like an ornament hook so it comes off easily and allows the tree to grow without encasing the wire.

Plus coat hanger wire doesn't bend as easy and someone won't pull the hook out of the wire as easily.

Hate micro's also, but I sure love hiding them! LOL!

I found one yesterday with a wee hook screwed into the trunk and the micro hanging from it. Worked well because the tree was right by a fence and I'm sure it didn't harm the tree.

Thats bad. The issue isn't that it hurt the tree but rather that it just plain "looks bad" to land managers and the general public.

Use the wire hook method mentioned above.

I saw a hide recently where the geocacher had actually drilled the tree out to hide a bison tube, Not good!!

I found one yesterday with a wee hook screwed into the trunk and the micro hanging from it. Worked well because the tree was right by a fence and I'm sure it didn't harm the tree.

I hope those were reported to the reviewer.

To the OP, I've used wire, part of a coat hanger and in one case I simply used camo duct tape to secure the container to a branch.

Edited by briansnat

By best method I mean one that does not cause any harm to the tree and can withstand Canadian weather

The black spring steel clips for office papers work great on small branches. Whether you use that or a wire hook, cover it with felt camouflage tape (the stuff similar to Moleskin), and the extra padding's very gentle on the growing branches.

Favorite I've seen was a decoy pigeon clipped to the branch with the bison tube attached to it's back. you'd be amazed at how easy it was to pass it by.

Favorite I've seen was a decoy pigeon clipped to the branch with the bison tube attached to it's back. you'd be amazed at how easy it was to pass it by.

deleted because i realized i might be giving a cache away. was a good story too.

Edited by namiboy

go to a craft store and get a stuffed bird.

go find an abandoned bird's nest

stuff the bison up the bird's errr ahhh bottom

put the bird on the nest

install a proximity sensor and attach it to a bird call chip

I challenge the community to be more creative than that.

BTW I've never seen that done, although its probably not original. Just made that sucker up!!!