my garmin

kelroy9

im just now learning about geocaching . i got a Garmin nuvi 265wt for christmas and i really love it . so thats how i foung out about geocaching. i found 3 caches so far and i really had fun so sould i look to get something else or do i have a good one for now. and tips i would love to hear about. thank you

I have a Nuvi 255W. I use it to navigate to the area in the car and read the hints etc downloaded by the GSAK micro noted above. The Nuvi stays in the car and my hand held Lowrance H20C goes with me down the trail. Both compliment each other.

Welcome to the addiction. It may be too late for you to turn back!!!!

Cache on. Jim

Search for "GSAK nuvi macro" to make it paperless.

OP is not a premium member, so can't take advantage of that.

But take a look anyway : http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/ - if anything can convince you to go premium, this will :P

I find that my Nuvi combined with a handheld is a very powerful combo for geocaching. In a pinch, like if I left my handheld at home, I will use the Nuvi alone, but usually I spend a lot more time figuring out where is ground zero. In some caches, that's not important, but on others it is.

Echoing what others have said:

I will sometimes load my Nuvi 265WT with the paperless macro so I can use it to read about a cache before I decide to look for it or not. Nuvi gets me to the general area in the car but then I bring out a handheld to find the actual cache.

The battery life on the Nuvi is not great, it isn't very rugged and getting to ground zero can be difficult because it lacks a pointer.

Yes, you can cache with it but the experience is sub-optimal.

Echoing what others have said:

I will sometimes load my Nuvi 265WT with the paperless macro so I can use it to read about a cache before I decide to look for it or not. Nuvi gets me to the general area in the car but then I bring out a handheld to find the actual cache.

The battery life on the Nuvi is not great, it isn't very rugged and getting to ground zero can be difficult because it lacks a pointer.

Yes, you can cache with it but the experience is sub-optimal.

Likewise i use my garmin nuvi 265wt in conjunction with my garmin etrex legend h. I use my garmin nuvi to get me to the general area and the etrex the rest of the way to find the cache.

i see what you all met today i must have walked past that cache 5 times i could get close but never seen it til i found it by chance. im having fun getting out anjd doing it. today i found my 1 cache with a prize in it. i took one and left one. and way happy to have spent the time out . i was a good day. but you are all right a hand held and the one i got would be great togerther ;)

im just now learning about geocaching . i got a Garmin nuvi 265wt for christmas and i really love it . so thats how i foung out about geocaching. i found 3 caches so far and i really had fun so sould i look to get something else or do i have a good one for now. and tips i would love to hear about. thank you

I just travel in a car for 27 days 6200 miles and my 265wt battery never ran out. I used the external car charger which kept the battery fully charged. when i needed to get out of the car i removed the charger. when i was done i reconnected it. if you do this the 4 hour battery time will not be a problem.