New Feature Request

NH6PK

I have a few suggestions for the geocaching.com site.

Currently, when you view geocaches in a geographic area, using the Google Map page, there are a few Premium Member Filters available for use:

1. Filter types of geocaches

2. Hide My Finds

3. Hide My Caches

It would be nice if you could filter out geocaches that are "temporarily unavailable."

Perhaps a time limit should be put on "unavailable" geocaches. Maybe 3-6 months. Afther that, they disappear. Owners should fix them or remove them in my opinion.

It would also be nice to be able to filter by Difficulty and Terrain.

It would also be nice to filter out geocaches that have not been found over a certain time period; perhaps a year, or even a user designated period. It is frustrating to see a geocache that is most likely lost, and if it isn't, and hasn't been found in a year, perhaps the location is not the best.

No doubt I am not the first one to come up with these ideas.

I appreciate the site!! You all do a great job at maintaining it.

I agree with NH6PK. I think those would be nice features. Using a pocket query isn't instant. Also you use up your quota.

Actually, if you just preview your PQ, it doesn't use up your daily quota. So, you can have a PQ setup (with all your criteria) but not have any day checked and click the preview button.. But, that doesn't show up on a map..

It would also be nice to filter out geocaches that have not been found over a certain time period; perhaps a year, or even a user designated period. It is frustrating to see a geocache that is most likely lost, and if it isn't, and hasn't been found in a year, perhaps the location is not the best.

No doubt I am not the first one to come up with these ideas.

I appreciate the site!! You all do a great job at maintaining it.

I'm going to take some pretty serious exception to this point. Assuming a cache is lost simply because nobody found it in over a year is a very poor assumption. Several of my caches go well over a year between finds because they are remote or otherwise challenging. Also - i would argue that such caches are actually in ideal locations. Its not my fault that your average citizen is too lazy to take .75 mile round trip to a spectacual view across the prairie.

If you are arguing that a serious of DNFs over a year indicates that it is lost - I would agree but not just beacuse nobody looked.

I have a suggestion for GS and Garmin:

For the Garmin Oregon and Colorado (or other gps'r units where possible), could a script be written to include the date hidden of a cache in the gpx file?

Not exactly a "need to have" item, but it is a bit of info that would be cool to have in the field...