Random Act of Kindness

Gan Dalf

I haven't seen it but that is weird, just today I was thinking about a guy I used to cache with who would leave a twenty dollar bill.

I thought, what would I leave in trade? And I decided that I would go buy 20 bucks worth of swag and leave them caches that needed it.

And here's this post.

Edited by BlueDeuce

this isn't the first time this girl has done something good with money. She was going to try and break the world record for fastest time crawling a mile and raise $1000 for cacner. Not sure what happened, but yeah. Cool girl.

PS I emailed her and she said she doesn't cache often and that the username is for the whole family and she doesn't know what it it. I'm guessing she probably didn't want to tell a stranger or something, which is cool, so yeah, great PR for geocaching though :)

Edited by NWCREW

I caught that story - the tape opened with a shot of the gps in her hand as she walked along and I thought - man she's caching. Sure enough that's what the reported said, plain and simple. It was nice that the news did not seem to think it necessary to explain what geocaching is all about ("high tech hide and seek," etc.).

That's a really cool article. This last summer I found two $20 bills in a parking lot of a church in Norfolk, VA while grabbing a virtual. Talk about a double take. The parking lot was empty and after seeing the first $20 I was like "SWEET!". So I kept looking and underneath a closeby shrub I found another $20. I wished that I had found more and trust me I kept looking but that was all I could find. I did a good deed with it as well by washing down a great day of Geocaching by attending a local Meet & Greet at a Norfolk brewery and listening to them talk about their "difficult" 4 star caches. :lol:

Am I the only one who shuddered a bit when she hopped over the railing? ;) Not sure what the rules are at the particular park but I didn't think it looked good on camera.

That makes two of us. It doesn't help when we've already been banned from Discovery Park.

But who's at fault? The finder or the hider?

Am I the only one who shuddered a bit when she hopped over the railing? ;) Not sure what the rules are at the particular park but I didn't think it looked good on camera.

That makes two of us. It doesn't help when we've already been banned from Discovery Park.

Since I don't know which cache it is I can't answer your question. If it is the one linked to by Kiersolvd it seems the cache description indicates hopping the fence should not be necessary.

But either way, I cringed when I saw he hop the fence.

Since I don't know which cache it is I can't answer your question. If it is the one linked to by Kiersolvd it seems the cache description indicates hopping the fence should not be necessary.

But either way, I cringed when I saw he hop the fence.

My mom (who actually saw it on the news) didn't think it was the actual cache. Either way, showing a cacher hopping a fence while in the act of geocaching does not look good for us.

Edited by Dwoodford

Did anyone see this tonight on the KING 5 news? I'm just curious who the geocacher was, I mean her geocaching name, not her real name.

Someone finds $60 in a box and it makes the news?

Wow.

It must be a REALLY slow news day. ;)

A little over a year ago I found a 100 dollar bill in a parking lot. Where's my 15 minutes of fame??? :)

Did anyone see this tonight on the KING 5 news? I'm just curious who the geocacher was, I mean her geocaching name, not her real name.

Someone finds $60 in a box and it makes the news?

Wow.

It must be a REALLY slow news day. ;)

A little over a year ago I found a 100 dollar bill in a parking lot. Where's my 15 minutes of fame??? :)

That happened to me too, only it was a bit further back. I think that was almost two years ago.

So you all cringed when she hopped the fence to pick up a moldy little cardboard box out of an unimproved area?

What about the camera man who was on the other side of the fence with her?

Was the fence there for safety or to keep people out of the unimproved area?

Cringe when someone, who isn't geocaching, hops a fence? Forgive me but I don't see the big deal.

Forcus on the good, people, not the bad.

So you all cringed when she hopped the fence to pick up a moldy little cardboard box out of an unimproved area?

Cringe when someone, who isn't geocaching, hops a fence? Forgive me but I don't see the big deal.

The problem is that park managers perceive us as being the source of social trails. It's one thing for a non cacher to go off trail, it's another for a geocacher to do so, because we can be identified as a group, and therefore targeted as a group, and to have an individual identified as a geocacher do so and be filmed doing so for the news, does not help that image.

The problem is that park managers perceive us as being the source of social trails. It's one thing for a non cacher to go off trail, it's another for a geocacher to do so, because we can be identified as a group, and therefore targeted as a group, and to have an individual identified as a geocacher do so and be filmed doing so for the news, does not help that image.

So you are saying that park managers are stupid?

Is this their identification process?

Unacceptable trail, cause - Made by animal

Animal observed, identified - Identified as human

Subset observed, identified- geocacher

Test group (1)

Policy set! Geocachers not allowed!

(yes, I do believe some policy makers are just THAT stupid and lazy)

Test group (1)

Actually, there are some with a mindset to use the slightest reason to do just this. There still are folks out there that believe geocaches are merely another form of trash. So, before you scoff at the cringing, understand you haven't been around long enough to see the attitudes some of us worry about.

Edited by TotemLake

Test group (1)

Actually, there are some with a mindset to use the slightest reason to do just this. There still are folks out there that believe geocaches are merely another form of trash. So, before you scoff at the cringing, understand you haven't been around long enough to see the attitudes some of us worry about.

I agreed with it. The last line states that.

Sheesh, some people always want a fight.