Oregon 400t problem connecting via USB . . .

GerIRL

I've been using my OR400t for a year with 64bit Vista, and for the past 2 months, 64 bit Windows 7 without any problems. I would start my OR400t, then plug into the USB cable, and then choose Mass Storage mdce on the GPSr when prompted. Then 2 new drives would appear on "my computer" - the SD card, and the internal memory. Every time. Including yesterday lunchtime, when I used GSAK to upload some caches. Until last night.

Last night, when I plugged the USB cable into the GPSr and selected "mass storage mode", it sat for about 10 seconds, and then restarted and went directly into GPS operational mode. Then I got an error message on the laptop about "Windows nor recognizing a USB device".

I tried again tonight, and the same thing happened. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Problem solved. http://bit.ly/7LVWLZ and goto the post by johnkelly46 dated Oct 26, 2009. I turned off the laptop, unplugged and removed the battery for about 5 minutes. Now, my USB ports work as intended. So simple, I had to share this :)

Thanks for sharing. Very bizarre. I'll have to remember that as a troubleshooting step.

I've encountered another one where the keyboard is sending out strange events that is seen only by some applications. Had to disconnect the battery to "reset" it (until it appears again). I found that out by accident - I removed the battery to clean the keyboard and that seemed to fix the problem. Once I did not disconnect the battery, and the problem persisted after I cleaned the keyboard, which led me to experiment and discover that it was removing the battery that "fixed" the problem.

I had the identical situation with my Dakota 20. My Colorado would hook up fine, but my Dakota would exhibit the same symptoms as your Oregon.

I did as system reset to a few days earlier than when my problem started. Works fine. (Windows XP).

Edited by palser